Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,522 members, 7,816,279 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison (416 Views)

Trump Reacts To Rapper ASAP Rocky’s Release From Jail . / President Macron Poses With A Shirtless Robber Released From Prison / South Africa's Winnie Mandela Dies At 81 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison by Ipobdevil: 1:02pm On May 07, 2017
We remember the TV images of Nelson Mandela in a grey suit, in bright sunlight, walking free from prison in 1990. We might not know that he could have walked free five years earlier. The reason he did not is because the offer made to him by then State President of South Africa, P. W. Botha was conditional. The conditions basically required Mandela to retire in silence, abandon everything he had stood up for, and went against his responsibilities toward his political supporters.
Mandela once said, “In prison, you come face to face with time. There is nothing more terrifying.” To learn that he refused release after 22 years of incarceration, despite the terror of it, is more proof of Mandela’s unwavering pursuit of justice.
On 31 January 1985, Botha, speaking in parliament, offered Mandela his freedom on condition that he ‘unconditionally rejected violence as a political weapon’. This was the sixth such offer, earlier ones stipulating that he accept exile in the Transkei. His daughter Zinzi read Mandela’s reply to this offer to a mass meeting in Jabulani Stadium, Soweto, on 10 February, 1985. This was the text of his response as read publicly by Zinzi:
I am a member of the African National Congress. I have always been a member of the African National Congress and I will remain a member of the African National Congress until the day I die. Oliver Tambo is much more than a brother to me. He is my greatest friend and comrade for nearly fifty years. If there is any one amongst you who cherishes my freedom, Oliver Tambo cherishes it more, and I know that he would give his life to see me free. There is no difference between his views and mine.
I am surprised at the conditions that the government wants to impose on me. I am not a violent man. My colleagues and I wrote in 1952 to [Daniel François] Malan asking for a round table conference to find a solution to the problems of our country, but that was ignored. When [Johannes Gerhardus] Strijdom was in power, we made the same offer. Again it was ignored. When [Hendrik] Verwoerdwas in power we asked for a national convention for all the people in South Africa to decide on their future. This, too, was in vain.
It was only then, when all other forms of resistance were no longer open to us, that we turned to armed struggle. Let Botha show that he is different to Malan, Strijdom and Verwoerd. Let him renounce violence. Let him say that he will dismantle apartheid. Let him unban the people’s organisation, the African National Congress. Let him free all who have been imprisoned, banished or exiled for their opposition to apartheid. Let him guarantee free political activity so that people may decide who will govern them.
I cherish my own freedom dearly, but I care even more for your freedom. Too many have died since I went to prison. Too many have suffered for the love of freedom. I owe it to their widows, to their orphans, to their mothers and to their fathers who have grieved and wept for them. Not only I have suffered during these long, lonely, wasted years. I am not less life-loving than you are. But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free. I am in prison as the representative of the people and of your organisation, the African National Congress, which was banned.
What freedom am I being offered while the organisation of the people remains banned? What freedom am I being offered when I may be arrested on a pass offence? What freedom am I being offered to live my life as a family with my dear wife who remains in banishment in Brandfort? What freedom am I being offered when I must ask for permission to live in an urban area? What freedom am I being offered when I need a stamp in my pass to seek work? What freedom am I being offered when my very South African citizenship is not respected?
Only free men can negotiate. Prisoners cannot enter into contracts. Herman Toivo ja Toivo, when freed, never gave any undertaking, nor was he called upon to do so. I cannot and will not give any undertaking at a time when I and you, the people, are not free.Your freedom and mine cannot be separated. I will return.

Re: Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison by Nobody: 1:06pm On May 07, 2017
Real Father
Re: Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison by Codyt(m): 1:08pm On May 07, 2017
Wow
Re: Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison by Codyt(m): 1:08pm On May 07, 2017
HsLBroker:
Real Father
Which network you dey use angry
Re: Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison by Nobody: 1:11pm On May 07, 2017
True leader , not some political thieves out here

#Respect
Re: Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison by Nobody: 1:11pm On May 07, 2017
Codyt:

Which network you dey use angry
etisalat
Re: Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison by Khd95(m): 1:25pm On May 07, 2017
oba onikuje of kuje could ve been the Mandela of his pple,but he was tired of watery hard beansgrin

pls u didn't call names ooo
Re: Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison by sLentlover7778(m): 1:26pm On May 07, 2017
Real activist,true leader..
Re: Mandela’s 1985 Refusal Of Release From Prison by Codyt(m): 7:01pm On May 07, 2017
HsLBroker:
etisalat
I targeted That spot grin grin bet no wahala

(1) (Reply)

The Girl Tells ‘trump’ He Is The Disgrace, Social Media Explodes / US Warship Has Sailed Close To An Artificial Island Built By China In The South / Trump Defies Globe To Claim A Political Win

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.