Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,748 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule (1121 Views)

Meet 50 Obas Who Rule Lagos With Oba Rilwan Akiolu / If Nigeria Divide Today, Does Delta And Edo State Has A Place With Yoruba/igbo / Meet African King Who Works As Mechanic In Germany And Rule His People Via Skype (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by kaltonga: 4:52pm On May 07, 2017
Recently the oba of Lagos made a shocking remark stating clearly that lagos as a state does not belong to yorubas but a benin territory arming himself with some historical facts at his disposal.This has not gone down well with some yoruba folks especially the resident yoruba nairalanders on the obas submission or opinion like they cliam.But one thing is certain is that the custodian of the culture of the people of lagos has made clear to whosoever that cares to listen and in no small measures that should represent to some large extent, the views of an average lagos citizen['omo ni le'].
But the obs view has come under harsh criticisms especially on the nairaland front with heated arguments over the said statement, with likes of virgin founder leading the afonja defense councils heroically defending there acclaimed ownership of lagos as if there life depend on it.This now leave me with the title THE BOOMERANG OF DIVIDE AND RULE.
Let me take you guys back,on many occasions we have heard course to argue on the historical attachment with some niger delta so called tribes that speak igbo in the so called south south region over there affiliation to the igbo race..some as far as go about cooking up fictitious and malicious historical jargon just to suit there folly and satisfy there self hatred for the igbos that the people of ikwere,etche,ndoni,egbeme,anioma,and the host of them as not been igbos. This falsehood is further propagated with many impostors with fake monikers coming to this forum to promote the age long divide and rule tactics hoisted as a mandate to them by there paymasters and some gulible ones in our mist buy such cheap propaganda with every alacrity.
According to one of the afonja defenders on the said obs statement, he said and i quote'oba akiolu is a yoruba name?',this question i bring back to the yorubas if oba akiolu is not a yoruba name but cliam benin ancestry, how come an ELECHI AMADI,AMAECHI,ODILI,WIKE,CHIJOKE,EKE and co were never igbos?..The second argument is and i quote him again'why is it that the yoruba culture is written all over lagos state and not benins culture'and i asked why are the igbo rivers ,delta dress like the igbos, dance like the igbos,and observe ths same igbo traditional activities?
In the course of the yoruba defence, they cliamed the AWORIS were the first occupant of lagos state and the aworis migrated from ife...so how do we explain the ikweres that migrated from nkwere in present day imo state, the etches that migrated from ngor okpala present day imo state, the asas in rivers that migrated from the asa community in imo state,the egbema in river state that were wickedly divided from there kits and kin in imo,or the day light robbery of oyigbo that belongs to old imo now abia ceded to river state,or the attempted hijacking of opobo founded by an igbo son from nwangele imo state....Are we now safe to still maintain that all this igbo speaking communities in the imaginary south south region are not igbos, but the oba who cliamed hes from benin a yoruba oba?
Lastly,the yorubas in this forum are good at demining the igbos as not contributing anything to nigeria in terms of revenue but are quick to cliam lagos into there region as the highest revenue earner even when the lagos delegates to the last confab made it clear that they are a different region from the south west and there senators are advocating a different status for lagos state outside the yoruba arrangement..now backed with the oba...can we now say our yoruba brothers are now attache by force? if the revenue generated by lagos an obvious benin land, how come the igbos became parasites with oyigbo an igbo land been the largest oil producing community in rivers state,the oil at egbema rivers,ndoni,etc are not part ofigbo contributions?
My conclusion remains that,since the oba has said that lagos is not a yoruba territory,its now official that lagos remains anon yoruba territory's far as there are no ibgos in river and delta states, no oshogbo,ekiti,or ibadan man should come to this forum again and cl;iam or bragg with lagos but focus on there 5 states and make comparisons from there....for this is THE BOOMERANG OF DIVIDE AND RULE

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by DrGoodman: 5:43pm On May 07, 2017
Apart from Fayose and ffk, the whole Yoruba people are backbiting hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by MayorofLagos(m): 5:50pm On May 07, 2017
When you call Yoruba names remember that if it wasn't for Fayose and FFK intervention, Kanu will still be in prison today. Just remember how Yoruba rescued your biafran leader.

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by Newmanluckyman(m): 5:53pm On May 07, 2017
... @OP, You made a very good observation. Hypocrisy is the bane of this country.
Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by dreamwords: 6:24pm On May 07, 2017
ibo people of abia has oil
ibo people of rivers has oil
ibo people of imo has oil
ibo people oi delta has oil
ijaw people forced into ondo state has oil
afonja people have ewedu

They say lagos is the most commercial state
who are the people that are king of commercial activities
i.e importation and distribution of goods and services in lagos?
Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by PenisCaP: 6:41pm On May 07, 2017
DrGoodman:
Apart from Fayose and ffk, the whole Yoruba people are backbiting hypocrites.

Dude dont trust those people.
Bliv me.. they thought they csn use kanu for political agenda.
Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 07, 2017
I really can't make head or tail of this post, can someone walk me through

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by greenmonk: 10:01pm On May 07, 2017
kaltonga:
Recently the oba of Lagos made a shocking remark stating clearly that lagos as a state does not belong to yorubas but a benin territory arming himself with some historical facts at his disposal.This has not gone down well with some yoruba folks especially the resident yoruba nairalanders on the obas submission or opinion like they cliam.But one thing is certain is that the custodian of the culture of the people of lagos has made clear to whosoever that cares to listen and in no small measures that should represent to some large extent, the views of an average lagos citizen['omo ni le'].
But the obs view has come under harsh criticisms especially on the nairaland front with heated arguments over the said statement, with likes of virgin founder leading the afonja defense councils heroically defending there acclaimed ownership of lagos as if there life depend on it.This now leave me with the title THE BOOMERANG OF DIVIDE AND RULE.
Let me take you guys back,on many occasions we have heard course to argue on the historical attachment with some niger delta so called tribes that speak igbo in the so called south south region over there affiliation to the igbo race..some as far as go about cooking up fictitious and malicious historical jargon just to suit there folly and satisfy there self hatred for the igbos that the people of ikwere,etche,ndoni,egbeme,anioma,and the host of them as not been igbos. This falsehood is further propagated with many impostors with fake monikers coming to this forum to promote the age long divide and rule tactics hoisted as a mandate to them by there paymasters and some gulible ones in our mist buy such cheap propaganda with every alacrity.
According to one of the afonja defenders on the said obs statement, he said and i quote'oba akiolu is a yoruba name?',this question i bring back to the yorubas if oba akiolu is not a yoruba name but cliam benin ancestry, how come an ELECHI AMADI,AMAECHI,ODILI,WIKE,CHIJOKE,EKE and co were never igbos?..The second argument is and i quote him again'why is it that the yoruba culture is written all over lagos state and not benins culture'and i asked why are the igbo rivers ,delta dress like the igbos, dance like the igbos,and observe ths same igbo traditional activities?
In the course of the yoruba defence, they cliamed the AWORIS were the first occupant of lagos state and the aworis migrated from ife...so how do we explain the ikweres that migrated from nkwere in present day imo state, the etches that migrated from ngor okpala present day imo state, the asas in rivers that migrated from the asa community in imo state,the egbema in river state that were wickedly divided from there kits and kin in imo,or the day light robbery of oyigbo that belongs to old imo now abia ceded to river state,or the attempted hijacking of opobo founded by an igbo son from nwangele imo state....Are we now safe to still maintain that all this igbo speaking communities in the imaginary south south region are not igbos, but the oba who cliamed hes from benin a yoruba oba?
Lastly,the yorubas in this forum are good at demining the igbos as not contributing anything to nigeria in terms of revenue but are quick to cliam lagos into there region as the highest revenue earner even when the lagos delegates to the last confab made it clear that they are a different region from the south west and there senators are advocating a different status for lagos state outside the yoruba arrangement..now backed with the oba...can we now say our yoruba brothers are now attache by force? if the revenue generated by lagos an obvious benin land, how come the igbos became parasites with oyigbo an igbo land been the largest oil producing community in rivers state,the oil at egbema rivers,ndoni,etc are not part ofigbo contributions?
My conclusion remains that,since the oba has said that lagos is not a yoruba territory,its now official that lagos remains anon yoruba territory's far as there are no ibgos in river and delta states, no oshogbo,ekiti,or ibadan man should come to this forum again and cl;iam or bragg with lagos but focus on there 5 states and make comparisons from there....for this is THE BOOMERANG OF DIVIDE AND RULE

If you want to talk of Yoruba's and Lagos why not concentrate on what you want to say and leave Rivers State out of it.
You are now implying that you know the ikwerrees. Assas , Egbemas and other so called igboic tribes in Rivers state more than themselves. You are trying to shove your own historical account down the throat of the ethnic nationalities that make up Rivers State.
The Rivers tribes know their origin and roots and you are in no position to argue for them.
Every ethnic nationality has the right to self determination and actualisation.
Whatever is the fight between you and the yorubas is your own fight. When the Ikwerres, Ogbas, Egbemas, ndonis want to fight heir own course they will do it their own way.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by kaltonga: 11:19pm On May 07, 2017
greenmonk:

If you want to talk of Yoruba's and Lagos why not concentrate on what you want to say and leave Rivers State out of it.
You are now implying that you know the ikwerrees. Assas , Egbemas and other so called igboic tribes in Rivers state more than themselves. You are trying to shove your own historical account down the throat of the ethnic nationalities that make up Rivers State.
The Rivers tribes know their origin and roots and you are in no position to argue for them.
Every ethnic nationality has the right to self determination and actualisation.
Whatever is the fight between you and the yorubas is your own fight. When the Ikwerres, Ogbas, Egbemas, ndonis want to fight heir own course they will do it their own way.
bros history will help you to understand better,..thats if you choose to carryout the research..from my topic am not trying to give an accountof my own history like you pointed out rather giving you a fact and an assignment, ask you dad to tell you some minute truth
Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by Christistruth00: 1:15am On May 08, 2017
I have just watched Oba of Lagos interview on YouTube where he declared that Lagos does not belong to Benin.
Please watch from minute 5.40 in the video. The fact that he is being referred to as Kabiyesi also proves he is a Yoruba Monarch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOsp9VLRFno

In the first minute of the interview below,the interviewer said that Lagos was first settled by the Awori a sub group of the Yoruba and the Oba of Lagos did not disagree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i83Sa-HptDQ

In 1903 the British colonial Governor of Lagos (Sir William Macgregor) requested the Ooni travel to Lagos and rule among the Lagos Chiefs who was entitled to wear a beaded crown in Yorubaland.

Kingdoms of the Yoruba page 13.
By Robert Sydney Smith

Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by Christistruth00: 1:20am On May 08, 2017
Please read this document written by Sir Alfred Moloney British Colonial Governor of Lagos written in 1890.Can you in the third paragraph see where he describes the 1069 square miles of the protectorate of Lagos as part of the Yoruba territory?

Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by greenmonk: 5:47am On May 08, 2017
kaltonga:
bros history will help you to understand better,..thats if you choose to carryout the research..from my topic am not trying to give an accountof my own history like you pointed out rather giving you a fact and an assignment, ask you dad to tell you some minute truth

The historical account you give is flawed. If you want to give the history of a people the best way is to interview them. You don't tell the story of any tribe from rumours and beer parlour gossips and I know that I may be old enough to be your father.
I have travelled and lived in most part of Rivers State and know their history. The Ikwerres and others you claim to know won't agree with your account of their origin so authenticate your narratives before going public.
Distortion of history for selfish reasons cannot endure for ever as proven recently by the Oba of Lagos who came out with his own account of the history of Lagos.
IBOS claim to be the super tribe that begot other tribes in the east but at the same time claim to come from Israel when some of the tribes are older than Israel.
The tribes of Nigeria did not come with the arrival of European on our shores. The language group of a people is influenced by a lot of factors. If really your fight for bialfra which have recently been the fulcrum of all your argument is to succeed without the ills plaguing Nigeria then you must recognise and respect the identity of every component ethnic group devoid of your current colonising attitudes.
A word is enough for the wise.
the

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And The Boomerang Of Divide And Rule by ibbobla(m): 11:00am On May 09, 2017
dreamwords:
ibo people of abia has oil
ibo people of rivers has oil
ibo people of imo has oil
ibo people oi delta has oil
ijaw people forced into ondo state has oil
afonja people have ewedu

They say lagos is the most commercial state
who are the people that are king of commercial activities
i.e importation and distribution of goods and services in lagos?

Hmmm! Ijaws of Ondo having oil. Probably, you meant other forms of oil like groundnut oil and palm oil. This I very much doubt. Crude oil is found in Ilaje(Ugbo). Even the Ijaws can't open up and claim it, because they're far apart. Next time, read up facts and don't come spewing rubbish. Get sense!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ancient Igbo Community Set To Abolish Osu Caste System / Iwaa(attitude/behavoir) / Join Nigerian Pan-african Group In A Solidarity March For Freedom Of West Papua!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.