Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,197 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles (10481 Views)

Tafida Bawo: Emir Of Rano Suspends District Heads, Strips Them Of Titles / Alaafin Of Oyo Declares Ifa Priests Wanted, Sues Them For Giving Oyinbo Titles / 5 Reasons Why Nigerians Love Titles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Opinionated: 9:18am On May 09, 2017
One thing a Nigerian does not joke with are titles. When you are at a function or addressing him/her, you must announce or get all the titles correctly. If you don’t, they either will call your attention to it or get angry. After all, it is just a title. Ha…not for a Nigerian! A title is important. Chief. Alhaji/Alhaja, JP, Senator, and Right Honorable among others. Interestingly, this is not peculiar to the elite. So why do Nigerians love titles so much? Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency shares some reasons why.

They do not want to look ordinary

Some Nigerians feel that without their title, they are just ordinary. Hence, they try as much as possible to acquire many titles so that they will be counted.

To intimidate others

When you hear the titles some people have garnered over the years, you will be frightened. Unknown to you, this is exactly what these title lovers want. So, they revel in as they reel out his titles.

Show off

Titles provide the opportunity to show off what you have achieved over the years. For example, when the titles and degrees of professor are being read out during a lecture, you will definitely admire that person. Notwithstanding, it is a chance to display what they have accomplished.

It is just a Nigerian thing

In other parts of Africa, the love for a title is not as widespread like we do in Nigeria. The craze these titles has been with Nigerians from time immemorial. So, we can say that this is one of the things that our forefathers handed over to us.

To earn more respect

This is the most important of all. The major reason for titles is to earn more respect. The more the titles, the more you earn respect. That is how Nigerians are.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-reasons-nigerians-love-titles/

cc: Chief Lalasticlala, Evangelist Mynd44, hope I got your titles correct.

1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Nobody: 10:44am On May 09, 2017
I only took this spot just to earn the title " FIRST TO COMMENT ONE OF THIS THREAD" grin grin

9 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Nobody: 10:44am On May 09, 2017
Show off per say, I pronounce myself the Oluaye of this thread.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by LifeIsGuhd(f): 10:44am On May 09, 2017
Inasmuch as Nigerians love titles...
It is only right to call them by their titles.
I went for an interview and was asked the VP... I felt so relaxed and said "Yemi Osinbajo". The lady corrected though

I don dey check my phone for another invite since angry

In other news, My friend "Onyeka Ayo" marry last week saturday. On Sunday she con change her to "Mrs Onyeka Musa" for Facebook

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by babyfaceafrica: 10:45am On May 09, 2017
No mind shallow minded NIgerians..titles are rubbish and are of little or no value..you are what you are!!..if you are a rogue,just have billions..they will dash you 20 titles both home and away..titles are used to generate money!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by RisingUp: 10:45am On May 09, 2017
Ebonyi House of Assembly Member Showing Some Dancing Moves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ96sizMfvM
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Tazdroid(m): 10:45am On May 09, 2017
Honourable Chief Professor Elder Tony Padua, the Oshagudugudu 1 of Okorikiganaganagaa grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Nobody: 10:45am On May 09, 2017
You'll hear Chief Dr, Pastor, Evangelist Mrs Adenike Uloma Yohanna. ACCA, FNIPR, MNIOB, MNIESV, OON

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Chinatown1759: 10:45am On May 09, 2017
k
MC Biko address me by the title “chief opiakanotu 1 of Igbo land.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by kolafolabi(m): 10:45am On May 09, 2017
Hmmmm! That's why I respect Mr. Ayodele Peter Fayose...The Oshokomole 1.. As soon as his swearing in, he dropped a bombshell to all Obas in Ekiti-land that he doesn't want any Title rather than to support his governance.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by ItuExchange(m): 10:45am On May 09, 2017
We're simply vainglorious.

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: .com.ng
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by RisingUp: 10:45am On May 09, 2017
OK
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by mach98(m): 10:45am On May 09, 2017
cha cha! we like our titles die!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Victornezzar: 10:45am On May 09, 2017
What shall it profit a man 2 av d highest chieftancy title in his village and remain poor
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by fleps(m): 10:47am On May 09, 2017
Na wa o!
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Ekkhann(m): 10:47am On May 09, 2017
Our politicians and members of the academia are guilty of it.
it's a psychological thing designed to intimidate those who aren't at their level. that's why most of em are fond of the 'do you know who I am' syndrome.
modesty counts for nothing where we are involved.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Boldtrust(m): 10:49am On May 09, 2017
Just start callibg them the honourable idiot, his Excellency alhaji ebute meta 1 of Nonesense Kingdom. It is better called Thieftency title in Naija because they are always stealing it and it is mostly given to the thieves of public treasuries.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by IMASTEX: 10:50am On May 09, 2017
Abi
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Nobody: 10:50am On May 09, 2017
My bank account balance is my title and not all these uncivilized nonsense
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Pavore9: 10:51am On May 09, 2017
Most Senior Apostle Prophet Doctor.....
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by lonelydora: 10:52am On May 09, 2017
What of Yahya Jameeh of Gambia?
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by chuksjuve(m): 10:52am On May 09, 2017
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Bhaelarkush(m): 10:57am On May 09, 2017
lol.. u just can't make mistake and omit it
na war be that
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by Nobody: 10:57am On May 09, 2017
please at this yongtion I'll like you all to all with a standing ovation, please welcome Alhaji, Imam, Pastor, Rev., Priest, pope, Jp, Prince, Ezi, Oba, PhD, Doctor, Chief, HIV Lalasticlala to the podium.... grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by olowobaba10: 10:59am On May 09, 2017
TITLES ARE USELESS SINCE THEY STARTED PUTTING PRICE TAGS ON THEM RATHER THAN MERITS .
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by sekem: 11:03am On May 09, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
No mind shallow minded NIgerians..titles are rubbish and are of little or no value..you are what you are!!..if you are a rogue,just have billions..they will dash you 20 titles both home and away..titles are used to generate money!!!!

Exactly

The level of shallow mindedness exhibited by so many Nigerians is quite terrifying as well as discouraging
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by SageTravels: 11:13am On May 09, 2017
RisingUp:
Ebonyi House of Assembly Member Showing Some Dancing Moves

Is That not the same Car she said she will sell and use the proceeds to empower her constituents.

See The Car Here

https://www.nairaland.com/3215895/maria-ude-nwachi-sell-suv
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by AlamienDagash(m): 11:40am On May 09, 2017
One tin i luv naija is we are unique in everyting
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerians Love Titles by ImaIma1(f): 11:43am On May 09, 2017
Mostly for show off and to be termed as distinct.
During NYSC, one guy introduced himself as Pharmacist Frank to impress a babe and she too gave her name as Engineer Ann. Stupidity. I always give my first name...married or single, I still have my identity. Let me see the person that will call me mama this or mummy that..lol

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures From 2023 Ofala Festival In Anambra / Why Is Witchcraft So Prevalent In Africa? / Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa And Other Tribes Must Live As One - Emir Of Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.