Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,934 members, 7,817,725 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? (717 Views)

What I Think About Tattoos – Apostle Suleman / What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? / "What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:02am On May 12, 2017
What does the Bible say about tattoos / body piercings? Is it a sin to get a tattoo or body piercing?
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? by Pointblank09(m): 3:15am On May 12, 2017
Leviticus 19:28

New International Version
"'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

New Living Translation
"Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD.

English Standard Version
You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the LORD.

New American Standard Bible
'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

King James Bible
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
You are not to make gashes on your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves; I am Yahweh."

International Standard Version
"You are not to make incisions in your flesh on account of the dead nor submit to cuts or tattoos. I am the LORD.

NET Bible
You must not slash your body for a dead person or incise a tattoo on yourself. I am the LORD.

New Heart English Bible
"'You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you. I am the LORD.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Never slash your body to mourn the dead, and never get a tattoo. I am the LORD.

JPS Tanakh 1917
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor imprint any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

New American Standard 1977
‘You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead, nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

Jubilee Bible 2000
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you. I am the LORD.

King James 2000 Bible
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

American King James Version
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks on you: I am the LORD.

American Standard Version
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am Jehovah.

Douay-Rheims Bible
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh, for the dead, neither shall you make in yourselves any figures or marks: I am the Lord.

Darby Bible Translation
And cuttings for a dead person shall ye not make in your flesh, nor put any tattoo writing upon you: I am Jehovah.

English Revised Version
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
"'You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you. I am Yahweh.

Young's Literal Translation
And a cutting for the soul ye do not put in your flesh; and a writing, a cross-mark, ye do not put on you; I am Jehovah.

3 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? by Tracyomo(f): 4:03am On May 12, 2017
Enlightening

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? by pressplay411(m): 5:30am On May 12, 2017
The Bible is a guide.
Tattoos and piercings make you not-so-presentable as a preacher of the gospel period, even as a professional.
If you really want to follow this then women should never pierce their ears and injuries are unintentional tattoos. grin
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? by Timson01(m): 8:44am On May 12, 2017
Answer: The Old Testament law commanded the Israelites, “Do not cut your bodies for the
dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am
the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28). So, even though believers today are not under the Old
Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23– 25; Ephesians 2:15), the fact that there was a command against tattoos should raise some
questions. The New Testament does not say
anything about whether or not a believer
should get a tattoo. We do have this command in 1 Peter 3:3–4: “Your beauty should not come from outward
adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and
the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.
Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the
unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit,
which is of great worth in God’s sight.” Granted, this passage is directed at Christian women, but
there is a principle here that may be apropos:
namely, a person’s external appearance should
not be the focus of our attention. Much effort
goes into “elaborate hairstyles” and “fine
clothes” and jewelry, but that’s not where a woman’s true beauty lies. In the same way,
tattoos and body piercings are “outward
adornment,” and we should be careful to give
more effort to the development of the “inner
self,” regardless of our gender. In relation to tattoos and body piercings, a
good test is to determine whether we can
honestly, in good conscience, ask God to bless
and use that particular activity for His own
good purposes. “So whether you eat or drink
or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). The New Testament does not specifically command
against tattoos or body piercings, but it also
does not give us any reason to believe God
would have us get tattoos or body piercings. An important scriptural principle on issues the
Bible does not specifically address is if there is
room for doubt whether it pleases God, then it
is best not to engage in that activity. Romans 14:23 reminds us that anything that does not come from faith is sin. We need to remember
that our bodies, as well as our souls, have been
redeemed and belong to God. Although 1 Corinthians 6:19–20 does not directly apply to tattoos or body piercings, it does give us a
principle: “Do you not know that your body is a
temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom
you have received from God? You are not your
own; you were bought at a price. Therefore
honor God with your body.” This great truth should have a real bearing on what we do and
where we go with our bodies. If our bodies
belong to God, we should make sure we have
His clear “permission” before we “mark them
up” with tattoos or body piercings
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:05am On May 13, 2017
Timson01:

Answer: The Old Testament law commanded the Israelites, “Do not cut your bodies for the
dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am
the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28). So, even though believers today are not under the Old
Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23– 25; Ephesians 2:15), the fact that there was a command against tattoos should raise some
questions. The New Testament does not say
anything about whether or not a believer
should get a tattoo. We do have this command in 1 Peter 3:3–4: “Your beauty should not come from outward
adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and
the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.
Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the
unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit,
which is of great worth in God’s sight.” Granted, this passage is directed at Christian women, but
there is a principle here that may be apropos:
namely, a person’s external appearance should
not be the focus of our attention. Much effort
goes into “elaborate hairstyles” and “fine
clothes” and jewelry, but that’s not where a woman’s true beauty lies. In the same way,
tattoos and body piercings are “outward
adornment,” and we should be careful to give
more effort to the development of the “inner
self,” regardless of our gender. In relation to tattoos and body piercings, a
good test is to determine whether we can
honestly, in good conscience, ask God to bless
and use that particular activity for His own
good purposes. “So whether you eat or drink
or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). The New Testament does not specifically command
against tattoos or body piercings, but it also
does not give us any reason to believe God
would have us get tattoos or body piercings. An important scriptural principle on issues the
Bible does not specifically address is if there is
room for doubt whether it pleases God, then it
is best not to engage in that activity. Romans 14:23 reminds us that anything that does not come from faith is sin. We need to remember
that our bodies, as well as our souls, have been
redeemed and belong to God. Although 1 Corinthians 6:19–20 does not directly apply to tattoos or body piercings, it does give us a
principle: “Do you not know that your body is a
temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom
you have received from God? You are not your
own; you were bought at a price. Therefore
honor God with your body.” This great truth should have a real bearing on what we do and
where we go with our bodies. If our bodies
belong to God, we should make sure we have
His clear “permission” before we “mark them
up” with tattoos or body piercings

What's your source? undecided
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? by Timson01(m): 10:48pm On May 13, 2017
research i have try finding something about this before now shall
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:16pm On May 15, 2017
Timson01:

research i have try finding something about this before now shall

I meant where did you copy and paste the answer from? cool

(1) (Reply)

Controlling Your Sexual Drive As A Christian / Mystery Of God, Flood, Book Of Enoch, 7th Angel Trumpet | Sadhu Sundar Selvaraj / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 31/08/17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.