Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,664 members, 7,823,882 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" (1079 Views)

Oluwo Of Iwo: How To Retrieve Nigerian Stolen Millions From US Via Local Charm / Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve The Priceless "Ife Brass Head" / Olubadan, Ooni, Sultan, Emir Sanusi Present As Dangote Bags Doctorate Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by ManTiger(m): 1:48pm On May 12, 2017
I never believed the Ife Brass Head has been in the British Museum since 1938 shocked shocked shocked shocked
The brass head has been the NTA logo for ages, I think it was used as a mascot of NUGA when OAU hosted NUGA.
I bet many of us never knew but what step can this our generation take to retrieve this brass head from the claw of Queen Elizabeth?
How best can we mount pressure on the Nigeria Senate to file for the retrieval of this collective monument?
How can the British government be this fantastically corrupt?
They came to Africa, enslave us, rape of women, steal our heritage, forced their religion on us, steal our land and ripped our identities apart!
Same way they did to Egypt, Kenya, South Africa...

Only Egypt was able to retrieve some of their heritage and mummies, if they can, we too can!

Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by HungerBAD: 1:51pm On May 12, 2017
Really?

2 Likes

Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by ManTiger(m): 1:55pm On May 12, 2017
HungerBAD:
Really?

Yes o.

I think we should bombard twitter and call meaningful big wigs like CNN, BBC into discussion, I doubt if anything has been done in the past to get this retrieved!

We should at least TRY!

2 Likes

Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by hahn(m): 2:03pm On May 12, 2017
ManTiger:

Yes o.

I think we should bombard twitter and call meaningful big wigs like CNN, BBC into discussion, I doubt if anything has been done in the past to get this retrieved!

We should at least TRY!

Will this solve any particular African problem?

How are we even so sure that the whites didn't buy it in exchange for gunpowder or something?

Besides, the value of that thing will drop exponentially if it is retrieved and in possession in Africa. Africans do not read talk less of appreciate art
undecided

1 Like

Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by Raddie(m): 2:07pm On May 12, 2017
We get senate?

like they don't know!
Information hoarding is our problem - from water corporation to mineral resources Corp., discos' ain't left out, your local chairman/councellor and even your next door cda chairman.

9ja matter suppose weak even lugard himself!

*People who know want to keep it that way, those who want to know ain't allowed - now you guess what'll happen to those who want to know and work on it plus the average Nigerian doesn't even care, sad but true. online critics, beer palour analysts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by ManTiger(m): 2:08pm On May 12, 2017
hahn:

Will this solve any particular African problem?

How are we even so sure that the whites didn't buy it in exchange for gunpowder or something?

Besides, the value of that thing will drop exponentially if it is retrieved and in possession in Africa. Africans do not read talk less of appreciate art
undecided

I get sick whenever I encounter people like you online. Has the absent of the brass head solve African problem?
OAU has a very good well managed Museum gallery same as many other institution.
Comparing Gunpowder with this piece of artwork is very sad because you just admitted that we were exploited!
I doubt if you're a Nigerian cos this BrassHead is peculiar to the heritage of all Nigerian irrespective of tribe.

1 Like

Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by hahn(m): 2:21pm On May 12, 2017
ManTiger:

I get sick whenever I encounter people like you online. Has the absent of the brass head solve African problem?
Comparing Gunpowder with this piece of artwork is very sad because you just admitted that we were exploited!
I doubt if you're a Nigerian cos this BrassHead is peculiar to the heritage of all Nigerian irrespective of tribe.

You need to chill

Africans sold other Africans as slaves for gunpowder and even mirrors and probably even less back in the days

What you call exploitation is what someone else will call a good deal. If Africans can abandon their gods for foreign gods and believe that someone in ancient middle east died for their sins 2000 years ago even though they exist in 2017 then I do not know why it seems far fetched that we would sell our artworks for things of lesser value

You are being purely emotional. I am being realistic

We do not value human life here. We burn suspected thieves, openly humiliate aged men and women as "witches, abuse children and you really think that we will appreciate brass artwork? cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by ManTiger(m): 2:30pm On May 12, 2017
hahn:

You need to chill

Africans sold other Africans as slaves for gunpowder and even mirrors and probably even less back in the days

What you call exploitation is what someone else will call a good deal. If Africans can abandon their gods for foreign gods and believe that someone in ancient middle east died for their sins 2000 years ago even though they exist in 2017 then I do not know why it seems far fetched that we would sell our artworks for things of lesser value

You are being purely emotional. I am being realistic

We do not value human life here. We burn suspected thieves, openly humiliate aged men and women as "witches, abuse children and you really think that we will appreciate brass artwork? cheesy grin

hmmm at the bolded.
But yet they should just return it just like Egypt are retrieving their artifacts from France, Germany and UK government.
cc: Lalasticlala
Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by Raddie(m): 2:37pm On May 12, 2017
ManTiger:

Read his first two sentences again, you missed it.

Look leave the brasshead there moreover will its' coming back make our culture any less different than it is - except scratch/boost some egos'. we are not ready yet.
in short sef if the brasshead was a god it'll always be amongst it people.

Culture and religion always has a way, solving our immediate problems should be our priority.
Should your bbc/cnn or whatever have you not have a talk about why most Nigerians don't have prepaid-meters or why there even is a water corp.?

Oga today na Friday o!
Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by hahn(m): 2:47pm On May 12, 2017
ManTiger:

hmmm at the bolded.
But yet they should just return it just like Egypt are retrieving their artifacts from France, Germany and UK government.
cc: Lalasticlala

True that

But these our leaders ehn. If it is not about some money they can loot, they won't take it serious
Re: How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" by StarFlux: 8:46pm On May 12, 2017
It's the same with the Benin bronze plaques: they were stolen and kept by the wicked British.

What puzzles me is that you can see all the immorality in these colonial powers, yet Nigerians still flock to these countries.

It's hard to say how these items can be reclaimed, but a good start would be to start an organization which starts mapping which items are still in the posession of foreign countries, and then starting to make claim to them.

Sadly, Nigerian politicians are all educated abroad and have zero interest in their own country's well-being, mostly due to their lack of knowledge (and care) about Nigeria's rich culture and heritage.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

2018 Osun Osogbo Festival In Picture / The Origin Of Igbo Land / Which Country Is Cheaper: Nigeria Or Ghana?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.