Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? (14743 Views)

My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Nigerian Lady In The US Army Confused Her Colleague With Pidgin English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by OkoAnike(m): 9:11am On May 15, 2017
Op, please try and find a way to upgrade your self...

The young staff has some potential for leadership and management that you don't have, no body play politic with his business.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Teespice(f): 9:14am On May 15, 2017
you will only give yourself high blood pressure over unnecessary issues.

clearly, it is office politics at work but there is nothing you can do.

you want to resign, go ahead, but know that someone out there is ready to take your position in a heartbeat.

do your duties diligently and stop giving yourself unnecessary headache over trivial issues.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by cmecproblem(m): 9:25am On May 15, 2017
OP you should talk with the boss that is leaving and get his opinion before talking with the senior boss. It is possible they made a mistake and if there's no mistake consider your benefits at the moment if it's worth it stay if it's not please resign. There's always a reason why certain things happen, maybe you are being prepared for a better place.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by ALVA001: 9:32am On May 15, 2017
swagguElite:
thanks bro!.. Thats exactly my point! ... The junior colleague is no enemy at all! ...don't fight! ... don't quit!

By the way you can watch HOUSE OF CARDS SERIES ... My Dad n I watch it 2geda all the time ... You will learn ao to be bold,lie,cause trouble,solve problems n get wat yu want by doing relatively Nothing! ...psychology is a great weapon

...people who understand psychology possess mastery of sarcasm n ability to drive yu crazy! ... I envy dem!
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by vinceobe: 9:42am On May 15, 2017
My friend, life is full of misery. In Nigeria, many things come to play in office settings. Nigerian office setting is heavily politicised. Primodal sentiments readily come to play. The questions you should ask yourself are these: Are you of the same tribe as the the ogas? Are you of the same religion? Have you shown or demonstrated that you are very ambitious? With these and other questions in mind, you would be able to know why you are been treated as such. My advice is this. Do not quit. Remember quitters never win and winners never quit. Bear it all. Nothing bad or good lasts for ever. Pray and God answers prayers of those who have been unduly wronged. Good luck, my friend.

1 Like

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by ncoolsome(m): 9:48am On May 15, 2017
Goodplace:
This has got me thinking deep thought of tendering my resignation letter due to this act. Our immediate boss is to go and attend to another branch and Our senior boss who is not operating from our branch said our immediate boss should hand over to a junior colleague of mine when am the most senior on ground in terms of number of years and cognate experience.

Many a time i look at recognition is not duly granted to those whom it is due, i don't know if i will call this office polities or something else. And why this has got me amazed is that this junior colleague of mine is not even close with our most senior boss who is not operating from our branch and they have not really talked one on one. i have at many occasions talked with him, he knows me one on one.

Something keeps going through my mind: Is it that my immediate boss has punctured my reputation before him that i am not aware? Or was it an oversight? i wish of tendering my resignation considering all the number of years i have served the coy. no reasonable recognition. Please advice

u can tendert ur resignation to save ur pride...but again hunger is real than u might think or imagine except u have a biz be side..
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by PapaBrowne(m): 9:49am On May 15, 2017
Goodplace:
This has got me thinking deep thought of tendering my resignation letter due to this act. Our immediate boss is to go and attend to another branch and Our senior boss who is not operating from our branch said our immediate boss should hand over to a junior colleague of mine when am the most senior on ground in terms of number of years and cognate experience.

Many a time i look at recognition is not duly granted to those whom it is due, i don't know if i will call this office polities or something else. And why this has got me amazed is that this junior colleague of mine is not even close with our most senior boss who is not operating from our branch and they have not really talked one on one. i have at many occasions talked with him, he knows me one on one.

Something keeps going through my mind: Is it that my immediate boss has punctured my reputation before him that i am not aware? Or was it an oversight? i wish of tendering my resignation considering all the number of years i have served the coy. no reasonable recognition. Please advice

Apparently, from our own explanation, it appears to me that the junior colleague might have a better grasp on the job than you do.

In a company, it is results that matter, not seniority or experience.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by eternalcity(m): 10:29am On May 15, 2017
It is either you are incompetent, or the other fellow is more capable than you, or your boss has something against you, or he is trying to test your submission.

But I'll advise you to keep doing your duties as stated in your job description. Don't allow pride/ego push you into the job market again.

NB: No man has except it has been given to him from above. Therefore, you cannot be more than God has for you right now.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 10:30am On May 15, 2017
@ OP

With that much experience you have, you should be creating your own company now and employing people instead of focusing on promotion and stipends. Do you want to be a slave for life?
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Omadachi(m): 10:31am On May 15, 2017
Is either he lacks confidence in you or see you as a threat.How was your last appraisal?Exceed expectation?Meet expectation or below expectation?Which ever way just try to do your best.Do not quit your job except if you have a good alternative else where.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Zedoo(m): 10:48am On May 15, 2017
alexistaiwo:
Truth is scary.
Is it your boss fault that you are incompetent?
Stop playing the victim card and face fact.
Business is business. Even if you are a sworn enemy of your boss and you are the most competent person for the job. He will have no choice than to give you the job.

leave story about years of experience.
Your boss has enough reason to believe that Your junior is better than you.

Some of you are blind...

The senior boss WHO DOES NOT WORK FROM THEIR BRANCH told the op's direct boss to hand over to his junior....

On what premise can you conclude that its a case of competence when the boss calling for the appointment doesn't know the day to day responsibilities shouldered by the respective workers....

The question is....

Who does the most work between the op and his junior colleague?

Who does their direct boss normally give the most things to take care of on day to day basis....

If it is the op then he has every right to be angry....

But if its the junior colleague then its been a long time coming...

Don't just jump into conclusions....ask intelligent questions that will give you proper insight to the situation...
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 10:49am On May 15, 2017
Dont allow it get to u, just pretend as if nothing happen as long as ur salary is intact. Improve ur skills and ensure u have a good relationship with ur superior not (house boy type), and dont take ur junior colleague as ur enemy above all start saving to be ur own boss.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 11:08am On May 15, 2017
My _ni66a_ when you post up sh*t like this and expect a solution you'll have a heart attack. Do what you will if you must
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by vislabraye(m): 11:39am On May 15, 2017
swagguElite:
Relax ... Whosoever is doing this to you! ...is trying 2 bring you down! ...trying 2 make you feel you ar nt as important as you feel!

It is a normal tin for people in your situation 2 react angrily coz it doesn't feel right giving an appointment meant for a senior to a junior! ... Everyone knows dis ...including that your junior colleague ...he is nt your enemy here ... Am veri sure he would be surprised he was given the appointment instead of you! ...try 2 put yourself in his shoes ...he is aware further appointments go to senior colleagues with more experience ...him being chosen surprises him as you do!

I remembered when my dad was in the ministry ...he was notoriously against the management. ..all his colleagues n junior colleagues loved dat about him! ... If he even said the director was stupid in his remark ...he will still say it in his front n defend it! ...there was dis confidence!

My mom always warned him but since me n my brothers always laugh whenever he repeats wat he had done in his office in a comical way! ... He continued! ...

His boss was later transfered (based on management decision nt by my dad's actions) n a new director was brought in ...very friendly boss! ...but the thing was when he was leaving the office the transferred boss met wit my dad's new boss to influence him to choose a new director whom was a junior to my dad even when my dad was the most qualified Senior colleague to be passed the Barton!

My dad heard dat his appointment was about to be given to Yinka his junior colleague thru his boss driver ... He was invited by his boss d next day for a meeting ... My dad carried yinka his junior colleague along ...N:B the meeting was not about the appointment issue ...it was just a random meeting!

My dad having discussed wit his boss ...invited yinka inside n told his boss that he has been thinking that since he would b leaving in a few months ...the ministry should b left in good hands ...in yinka's hands! ... Yinka was not aware of anything so he was quite surprised! ...including the boss! ...he was asked why?

My dad mentioned dat he has noticed yinka ...n even though his is senor he has always wanted to b like yinka ...cool headed, honest ,humble n very good at making quick decisions! ...my Dad told us yinka was blushing not knowing my dad was trying 2 pull a HOUSE OF CARDS MOVE on him!

His boss was arguing against yinka being put in charge trying 2 pretend dat he wasn't going 2 put yinka since he has been influenced! ...but my dad kept on insisting n supported his argument that youths should be encouraged to lead! ...n he later ended with stating dat Mr yinka is d best candidate here ...you're missing on a great opportunity if yu refuse to seize this one!

He stood up n left ... With yinka thanking him all day for his support! ...the next month my dad was appointed the new Director ... His boss now told ao his former boss influenced him to pick yinka over him n he was surprised dat my dad stood for yinka d next day ...he said THE MANAGEMENT DOES NOT NEED A YOUTH ...IT NEEDS SOMEONE WHO STANDS FOR THE YOUTHS ...my dad was just saying .. ehn ehn! ..pretending he knew nothing!

My dad played the mind game on them n defeated his former boss ... Got respect of his new boss n became a godfather of yinka & ors hu heard wat he did for yinka! .... He wasn't a saint but he killed three birds with a spoon n he got as much followers without slaying on Instagram! wink

I will say no more ...I hope yu pick one or two lessons! ... Pardon the long speech! ...n my typographical errors ...am not perfect ...but I will be! smiley

Smart move. This is reverse psychology at work. Well, it should be given a trial.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by OLUWASOGOABIOLA: 12:06pm On May 15, 2017
That's favor.... U need to pray very well
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Totfulguy: 12:10pm On May 15, 2017
Goodplace:
This has got me thinking deep thought of tendering my resignation letter due to this act. (Wrong syntax. Again childish thought. This is not enough reason for you to think of resigning. That's not a managerial attitude) Our immediate boss is to go and attend to another branch and Our senior boss who is not operating from our branch said our immediate boss should hand over to a junior colleague of mine when am the most senior on ground in terms of number of years and cognate experience.

Many a time i look at recognition is not duly granted to those whom it is due, i don't know if i will call this office polities or something else. (Poor grammar. Weak, feeble and elementary sentence construction. "Polities", how will you communicate with clients? What is polities?) And why this has got me amazed is that this junior colleague of mine is not even close with our most senior boss who is not operating from our branch and they have not really talked one on one. (You see, you dont have the mind of a leader. You cannot think out of the box. How do you know they are not close? It's obvious you think so because you do not see them in close proximity. But there are no less than 5 ways to connect with someone. Calls, Text, Email, Through a go-between, Visit. You think, you are the only one who knows the man. Think again.) i have at many occasions talked with him, he knows me one on one. (So you think. And ONLY on your mind)

Something keeps going through my mind: Is it that my immediate boss has punctured my reputation (Now your reputation is like a balloon or a Nigerian made car tire) before him that i am not aware? Or was it an oversight? i wish of tendering my resignation considering all the number of years i have served the coy. no reasonable recognition. Please advice. (my advise is, grow up and look beyond your nose. Think less of yourself and develop your vocabulary.

Goodplace, I dont mean to insult you, but your boss has his reasons and, in a sense, it is obvious. I do not know where you are working, but if it is not a baba Ijebu hut, then your company needs someone who can can carry himself well and represent the company well. Your flow of thought, basic syntax and semantics does not give one (even me) the confidence that you can hold the task. He probably need much more than your experience. Here are few examples of what he may have seen...(See my comments in boldface)

1 Like

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Donkaz(m): 12:19pm On May 15, 2017
swagguElite:
Relax ... Whosoever is doing this to you! ...is trying 2 bring you down! ...trying 2 make you feel you ar nt as important as you feel!

It is a normal tin for people in your situation 2 react angrily coz it doesn't feel right giving an appointment meant for a senior to a junior! ... Everyone knows dis ...including that your junior colleague ...he is nt your enemy here ... Am veri sure he would be surprised he was given the appointment instead of you! ...try 2 put yourself in his shoes ...he is aware further appointments go to senior colleagues with more experience ...him being chosen surprises him as you do!

I remembered when my dad was in the ministry ...he was notoriously against the management. ..all his colleagues n junior colleagues loved dat about him! ... If he even said the director was stupid in his remark ...he will still say it in his front n defend it! ...there was dis confidence!

My mom always warned him but since me n my brothers always laugh whenever he repeats wat he had done in his office in a comical way! ... He continued! ...

His boss was later transfered (based on management decision nt by my dad's actions) n a new director was brought in ...very friendly boss! ...but the thing was when he was leaving the office the transferred boss met wit my dad's new boss to influence him to choose a new director whom was a junior to my dad even when my dad was the most qualified Senior colleague to be passed the Barton!

My dad heard dat his appointment was about to be given to Yinka his junior colleague thru his boss driver ... He was invited by his boss d next day for a meeting ... My dad carried yinka his junior colleague along ...N:B the meeting was not about the appointment issue ...it was just a random meeting!

My dad having discussed wit his boss ...invited yinka inside n told his boss that he has been thinking that since he would b leaving in a few months ...the ministry should b left in good hands ...in yinka's hands! ... Yinka was not aware of anything so he was quite surprised! ...including the boss! ...he was asked why?

My dad mentioned dat he has noticed yinka ...n even though his is senor he has always wanted to b like yinka ...cool headed, honest ,humble n very good at making quick decisions! ...my Dad told us yinka was blushing not knowing my dad was trying 2 pull a HOUSE OF CARDS MOVE on him!

His boss was arguing against yinka being put in charge trying 2 pretend dat he wasn't going 2 put yinka since he has been influenced! ...but my dad kept on insisting n supported his argument that youths should be encouraged to lead! ...n he later ended with stating dat Mr yinka is d best candidate here ...you're missing on a great opportunity if yu refuse to seize this one!

He stood up n left ... With yinka thanking him all day for his support! ...the next month my dad was appointed the new Director ... His boss now told ao his former boss influenced him to pick yinka over him n he was surprised dat my dad stood for yinka d next day ...he said THE MANAGEMENT DOES NOT NEED A YOUTH ...IT NEEDS SOMEONE WHO STANDS FOR THE YOUTHS ...my dad was just saying .. ehn ehn! ..pretending he knew nothing!

My dad played the mind game on them n defeated his former boss ... Got respect of his new boss n became a godfather of yinka & ors hu heard wat he did for yinka! .... He wasn't a saint but he killed three birds with a spoon n he got as much followers without slaying on Instagram! wink

I will say no more ...I hope yu pick one or two lessons! ... Pardon the long speech! ...n my typographical errors ...am not perfect ...but I will be! smiley

Just have to quote this for reference purposes.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by iguita: 12:38pm On May 15, 2017
Your dad is a real time politician. Very few people will do the same
swagguElite:

smiley
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Stegomiah: 2:49pm On May 15, 2017
swagguElite:

Your dad is a confirm player
I salute him
The said yinka may think he is already the next in line
And start acting like godson
Your dad can also finish him off by picking someone else when he wanna retire

And hell yeah, house of cards is for the masters of the game

I wonder the cards your dad played on your mum to woo hergrin grin
I like your dad already... Shhh, don't tell anyone o
And if he has white beards like rmd and still hot.... I don trip finish be that.... And the cash too :p :p grin grin
Just kidding

1 Like

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Holyrule(m): 3:03pm On May 15, 2017
Goodplace:

THIS IS called GRACE my brother..... Gods Grace is upon the lad....
meanhile... the Bible says... "He that is aspiring to be the first must first be the last and a servant of all".....

nothing to be agitating for... just serve and it will get to you.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by GreatManBee: 4:31pm On May 15, 2017
swagguElite:

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by GreatManBee: 4:31pm On May 15, 2017
D
swagguElite:
thanks bro!.. Thats exactly my point! ... The junior colleague is no enemy at all! ...don't fight! ... don't quit!

By the way you can watch HOUSE OF CARDS SERIES ... My Dad n I watch it 2geda all the time ... You will learn ao to be bold,lie,cause trouble,solve problems n get wat yu want by doing relatively Nothing! ...psychology is a great weapon

...people who understand psychology possess mastery of sarcasm n ability to drive yu crazy! ... I envy dem!
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by GreatManBee: 4:35pm On May 15, 2017
GeneralOjukwu:
Cool down tiger...

It seems like a humiliation, but THINK before acting. Without a confirmed job with similar or better prospects, don't make the leap.

My immediate boss was practically caught profiting at expense of the organisation. He was demoted. The kind of pay he was collecting then, at age 39 (1.5 million monthly) , it's hard for him to get in another place except in Oil & Gas.

He stayed, the person who became his boss left for somewhere else. My boss took his former position...in fact he has gotten a promotion he has always dreamed of

Moral of the story....stay a while and find out why you were demoted. Maybe you lack something that might still be a disadvantage to you anywhere you go. LEARN.
While learning, be checking vacancies. No organization worldwide has YOUR interests at heart. They have THEIR own interests. When you have something better, resign with a smile, saying their company is the best in the world, BUT, you have to go because "..insert reason..."

You might still meet your Boss later on the professional ladder. Always part in good terms.

Besides....YOU internally assess yourself as more capable, but you just got an external assessment. This might sound harsh, but maybe, just perhaps, you are not the hotshot you think you are?
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by oodua1stson: 9:11pm On May 15, 2017
Goodplace:

happened to me b4. You're about to get fired, my friend.

Like in my case, some guys who I blocked their path to some petty stealing went to slander me to the higher ups and the boss foolishly took their bait.

You better leave the jo gracefully so you can put them to shame
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by tk4rd: 2:38am On May 16, 2017
Goodplace:

Is there no way you can find out exactly why the decision was taken, without getting on the nerves of the boss who took the decision.??
At times, when bosses want to know the real content of a person,, they would just toy with his emotions..
If you tender your resignation,, they may be so indifferent enough and accept it without asking why your are resigning, as though they don't even know.. So, don't always hope your resignation would force them to notice you.. Go and find out the answers for yourself by asking the right questions

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. / Employee Leave Allowance / Top 8 Skills You Need To Land Your Dream Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.