Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? (14604 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Urgent advice needed; Which Course Should I Do BOSIET OR IWCF? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by KiksAsso: 8:32pm On Dec 12, 2012
Hi Nairalanders,

I was discussing with my Hubby few days ago and the above question cropped up. He just smiled and said any course apart from Law. When I probed further, he said most Lawyers tend to be great liars by profession even when the truth is very glaring, they still keep manipulating and turning issues around all in the name of defending their clients.

Share yours and let's know the reason(s).
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by outrage: 9:06pm On Dec 12, 2012
Law. Same reason.
Most social science courses, its too boxed in.. No creativity and innovation.

3 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by k2039: 9:20pm On Dec 12, 2012
I cant think of any, besides my kids will have the liberty to choose their courses themselve.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by KiksAsso: 11:14am On Dec 13, 2012
k2039: I cant think of any, besides my kids will have the liberty to choose their courses themselve.

Definitely it is good to allow our kids choose their courses but my point is this, the kind of course that when choosen, u will wish deep within u for a change.

3 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by AjanleKoko: 12:13pm On Dec 13, 2012
I like law.
But I won't discourage my children from studying anything at college. Won't even force them to go to college wink

3 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by KiksAsso: 12:32pm On Dec 13, 2012
AjanleKoko: I like law.
But I won't discourage my children from studying anything at college. Won't even force them to go to college wink

Really?
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by AjanleKoko: 12:58pm On Dec 13, 2012
KiksAsso:

Really?

Yes, really.
It's their life to live, not mine. I am already living mine.
So long as I am able to teach them how to be responsible and make something of their lives. How they go about it is going to be entirely up to them.

12 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by yemmyma: 4:10pm On Dec 13, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Yes, really.
So long as I am able to teach them how to be responsible and make something of their lives. How they go about it is going to be entirely up to them.

An aberration from the average Nigerian mindset. I actually think that is the way to go. All this Engineering, Medicine, Accountancy thing even kill creativity from young age.

5 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by yemmyma: 4:11pm On Dec 13, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Yes, really.

An aberration from the average Nigerian mindset. I actually think that is the way to go. All this Engineering, Medicine, Accountancy thing even kills creativity from young age.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by ayobase(m): 8:49am On Dec 14, 2012
yemmy_ma: ......All this Engineering.......... thing even kill creativity from young age.

Seriously?

2 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by AjanleKoko: 9:46am On Dec 14, 2012
yemmy_ma:

An aberration from the average Nigerian mindset. I actually think that is the way to go. All this Engineering, Medicine, Accountancy thing even kills creativity from young age.

Fully agree. Those disciplines do very little beyond putting you in a box, and giving you an overbloated sense of self-worth.
When I was in high school, I wanted to study physics. My dad said no, you have to study electrical engineering. Many years and a masters degree later, I still wish I had gotten my way.

ayobase:

Seriously?

Yes, seriously.
In the past, we needed to build up our society, so we needed a lot of people to go to school, up to tertiary level.
Now too many people are going to school up to tertiary level. College/university in itself is a great experience for everyone, and I recommend it. However, there are a million other ways you can experience life, without necessarily going to college. It's really up to you at the end of the day.

3 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by ayobase(m): 9:50am On Dec 14, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Fully agree. Those disciplines do very little beyond putting you in a box, and giving you an overbloated sense of self-worth.

Yes, seriously.
In the past, we needed to build up our society, so we needed a lot of people to go to school, up to tertiary level.
Now too many people are going to school up to tertiary level. College/university in itself is a great experience for everyone, and I recommend it. However, there are a million other ways you can experience life, without necessarily going to college. It's really up to you at the end of the day.

I feel you pains though, but THAT doesn't mean that it kills creativity from childhood.
Does it mean that Physics is not suffering from the same syndrome?
Besides, Engineering is termed as a synonym for creativity!

Who is Ravi?
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by AjanleKoko: 9:53am On Dec 14, 2012
ayobase:

I feel you pains though, but THAT doesn't mean that it kills creativity from childhood.

Besides, Engineering is termed as a synonym for creativity!

Studying engineering will not automatically make you creative. Also, you can be creative without ever studying engineering.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by ayobase(m): 10:03am On Dec 14, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Studying engineering will not automatically make you creative. Also, you can be creative without ever studying engineering.

''Automatically''
Of course not!

Creativity is all about a matter of INTEREST!

I am a DJ (though on break). U will be surprised with what I do, but nobody taught me. Interest brings about creativity.

Its not all about studying a course, or doing somethings cos people do them, but matter of INTEREST!

Thats what we should always preach to our kids.....ur Dad should have allowed you do what would have made you happier!

2 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by yemmyma: 5:00pm On Dec 14, 2012
ayobase:

Seriously?

Our elders have placed too much emphasis on education that we have no other direction to look at than go get those papers and feel bloated like AJ said. But things are changing. You can see that from the many stories about Nigerian graduates especially from abroad doing something other than that they studied at the University. That is called expression but we usually don't get it from a young age because we are not living in a secured society.

As smart as Mark(facebook) was, do you think it would have gone down well if his parents were the average Nigerian?

I have a cousin studying in the U.S and also making music. He has been tipped for greatness in the Nigerian industry but at the moment silent because he has to get that degree or else he will be disowned grin
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by ayobase(m): 11:55pm On Dec 14, 2012
yemmy_ma:

Our elders have placed too much emphasis on education that we have no other direction to look at than go get those papers and feel bloated like AJ said. But things are changing. You can see that from the many stories about Nigerian graduates especially from abroad doing something other than that they studied at the University. That is called expression but we usually don't get it from a young age because we are not living in a secured society.

As smart as Mark(facebook) was, do you think it would have gone down well if his parents were the average Nigerian?

I have a cousin studying in the U.S and also making music. He has been tipped for greatness in the Nigerian industry but at the moment silent because he has to get that degree or else he will be disowned grin

I was almost typing a long epistle, but decided to read your post again. Then I saw this, ''because we are not living in a secured society.''

That said it all. Our parents, and Parents to be will always emphasis on getting that degree. You will realised they MOSTLY don't disturb even if you divert later. They are just trying to secure us a better 2moro. Besides, thats the best legacy they can give.

My mum is a case study, u can guess how much she has been making in her business before deciding to have a degree in UNILAG yrs back. She has her reason. THE SOCIETY. And lets stop comparing economies.That somepeople are doing it over there doesn't mean they can do it over here, and vice versa.

What our Parents, and the will-bes should note is to always make sure they don't shove down our throats what we don't wanna do...just like Ajanlekoko being forced to study Engineering against his desire for Physics.
Go to UK today, an average professional Lawyer, Engineer and the likes can play one instrument or the other....why don't they forget about schooling (if waste of time) and focus on Music!
We have talents in Nigeria, but as rightly put, ''the society'' aint encouraging. The other day, a guy from LAOTECH built an helicopter....u think the guy wouldnt have gone far if in US!

Keep advicing them to get the degree (a sense of responsibility sets into play) before exploiting and exploring!

In Nigeria, without degree, no respect....u can complete it.

My 2 cent!

5 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Wallie(m): 9:58pm On Dec 18, 2012
People don give lawyers bad name o! Lawyers are not necessarily liars; they’re just good at discerning facts and creating reasonable doubt. You guys should be in awe for it takes a truly skilled person to get someone caught red-handed, with blood on their hands, off. grin

On a more serious note, engineering should be encouraged because 33% of the S&P 500 CEOs' undergraduate degrees are in engineering and only 11% are in business administration. There must be something about those who studied engineering that makes them more likely to be CEOs than any other degree or is it the degree itself? Either way, having a first degree in engineering will likely lead to success.

More interesting stats about CEOs
- Less than 10% of top S&P 500 CEOs received degrees from Ivy League schools.
- All the CEOs of utility S&P 500 companies possessed bachelor degrees, making them the most highly educated group.
- The functional role that led to becoming a CEO was most commonly finance at 15%, followed by general management at 9%.
- Printing and publishing companies had the least educated S&P 500 CEOs. Only 91% held bachelor degrees.
- 60% of the CEOs in this IBM study cited creativity as the most important leadership quality. Fairness and humility came in last at 12%.
- About 60% of a CEO’s time is spent in meetings.
- CEOs spent 25% of their time on phone calls and at public events.
- And only 15% of their time was spent working alone.
- CEOs spent 42% of their time with other employees.
- Among outsiders, CEOs spend about 4.7 hours per week with consultants and only about 1.3 hours with suppliers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ceos-majored-in-engineering-2011-3?op=1
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Wallie(m): 10:17pm On Dec 18, 2012
I guess I didn't answer the question!

There's no way I'll give in right a way to a child that wants to study anything that I feel is a waste of the child's potential! Am I a typical Nigerian? Yep, and I'm unapologetic.

In today's world, I feel every professional should have some foundation that allows them to converse with or, at the very least, understand the technical crowd. Technology will very much control the future and will determine who leads and who follows. There's nothing wrong with following someone else’s lead but I have a problem with someone capable of being a leader lazily settling to become a follower.

For a first degree, I will bark at anything that’s not science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. For a second degree, the child can go study whatever he/she likes even making pottery. But I can almost guarantee that his pots will be second to none. cool

A child of mine that refuses to go to college will get written off and ignored. That’s how strongly I believe in education.

3 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by yemmyma: 3:11pm On Dec 19, 2012
Wallie: I guess I didn't answer the question!

There's no way I'll give in right a way to a child that wants to study anything that I feel is a waste of the child's potential! Am I a typical Nigerian? Yep, and I'm unapologetic.

In today's world, I feel every professional should have some foundation that allows them to converse with or, at the very least, understand the technical crowd. Technology will very much control the future and will determine who leads and who follows. There's nothing wrong with following someone else’s lead but I have a problem with someone capable of being a leader lazily settling to become a follower.

For a first degree, I will bark at anything that’s not science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. For a second degree, the child can go study whatever he/she likes even making pottery. But I can almost guarantee that his pots will be second to none. cool

A child of mine that refuses to go to college will get written off and ignored. That’s how strongly I believe in education.

What if he blows up like Justin Bieber? or drafted into Barcelona's first team at 17 like Bojan?

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by IYANGBALI: 5:31pm On Dec 19, 2012
Mass fornication
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by TeenageMoney(m): 5:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
Doctor so he no go see another man wife tin via labour room... cheesy
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by fittty(m): 5:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
Police studies! angry
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by lafuria1(m): 5:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
BSC in any language course, foreign or local languge. bsc in hausa? for wat. if in not, striaght to village and stay with grandpa for 4yrs..

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by obi123: 5:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
i think its best to find out the child's strengths and weaknesses , if the weaknesses can be addressed good , if not just focus on the strengths and go from there, all the time exposing the child to the possibilities out there.
of course i will be on hand to guide him , thank goodness i'm surrounded by professionals and people who are pretty damn good in their respective fields, they will also be there to guide him/her.

2 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Olamyyde(m): 5:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
i would never allow him study joblessness

3 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by obi123: 5:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
la furia: BSC in any language course, foreign or local languge. bsc in hausa? for wat. if in not, striaght to village and stay with grandpa for 4yrs..

lol!! u harsh oh
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by LesbianBoy(m): 5:36pm On Dec 19, 2012
Philosophy, french, yoruba edu, Mewsic, Totology
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by GlobalVillager: 5:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
Melecine ;DMelecine
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Chidelis(m): 5:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
Law
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by pekelepekele(m): 5:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
Zoology

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Omosivie1(f): 5:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
I can never let my child study CRK, music, phillosphy or anything under d faculty of education!!!
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by 76Naira(m): 5:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
None.....
If you are TALENTED & DEDICATED and have the OPPORTUNITY, you can excel in ANY discipline.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Civil Engineering Vs Architecture / Your Role Model In Corporate Nigeria? / How Do I Help My Mum Retrieve Her Pension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.