Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. (947 Views)

These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery / Tesla Is Causing Battery Shortage Worldwide / The Top 7 Things That Can Drain Your Car Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by mili3kid(m): 9:48pm On May 14, 2017
ok guys so car in question is a toyota Rav 4 2006 model.
i have been experiencing battery drain in the past and finally was able to trace it to the car radio system. from my investigation;
1. if radio is still on when engine is put off = battery drains
2. if radio is put off b4 engine off = no battery drain
so pls what I need to know is how to resolve this issue. even if the radio is not out off before engine off. and also why is the radio still draining so much battery current even if engine is off?
cc Gazzuzz Honmusa Nurey Diportivo
and everyone with useful tip on resolution

where d profs dey abeg .. epp me ooo
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by diportivo: 10:21pm On May 14, 2017
are u sure the battery is okay?

I'm suspecting the battery
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by mili3kid(m): 12:04am On May 15, 2017
diportivo:
are u sure the battery is okay?

I'm suspecting the battery
battery is very ok when fixed in another car. even wen left for 2weeks na one tym e dey start.
bt insyd d RaV na just 5days max
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by Lexusgs430: 12:16am On May 15, 2017
You need to sow this Rav4 into my life......
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by mili3kid(m): 12:44am On May 15, 2017
Lexusgs430:
You need to sow this Rav4 into my life......
lol... u sure? make i come blow whiso later sshey?
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by Lexusgs430: 12:55am On May 15, 2017
mili3kid:
lol... u sure? make i come blow whiso later sshey?

Abeg no blow whiso o....... Just a slight blow of the vuvuzela....

1 Like

Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by mili3kid(m): 1:23am On May 15, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Abeg no blow whiso o....... Just a slight blow of the vuvuzela....
hehehehe make I dey reason am fes

1 Like

Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by Lexusgs430: 1:37am On May 15, 2017
mili3kid:

hehehehe make I dey reason am fes

I go carry your details go mountain for positive response
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by nurey(m): 6:22am On May 15, 2017
If it's after market radio then the connection was bypassed somewhere, you need a rewire to do a solid reconnecting.

If it's the follow come radio you can either change the unit or always switch it off before you switch off the ignition.

1 Like

Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by mili3kid(m): 10:20am On May 15, 2017
nurey:
If it's after market radio then the connection was bypassed somewhere, you need a rewire to do a solid reconnecting.

If it's the follow come radio you can either change the unit or always switch it off before you switch off the ignition.
tnx oga mi. na follow radio jare... change it ke? make I come comot d one for ur car na grin
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by mili3kid(m): 10:21am On May 15, 2017
Lexusgs430:

I go carry your details go mountain for positive response
bt u go donate ur lexus fest o
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by nurey(m): 11:07am On May 15, 2017
mili3kid:

tnx oga mi. na follow radio jare... change it ke? make I come comot d one for ur car na grin

i am a 18th century man in a small boys body, if you like apala and own tons of radio cassette come and take it tongue
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by Lexusgs430: 11:10am On May 15, 2017
mili3kid:

bt u go donate ur lexus fest o

I no gree o
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:54pm On May 15, 2017
mili3kid:
ok guys so car in question is a toyota Rav 4 2006 model.
i have been experiencing battery drain in the past and finally was able to trace it to the car radio system. from my investigation;
1. if radio is still on when engine is put off = battery drains
2. if radio is put off b4 engine off = no battery drain
so pls what I need to know is how to resolve this issue. even if the radio is not out off before engine off. and also why is the radio still draining so much battery current even if engine is off?
cc Gazzuzz Honmusa Nurey Diportivo
and everyone with useful tip on resolution

where d profs dey abeg .. epp me ooo

car radio works with 3 wires, ground aka negative, then 2 positive ones that works differently the 1st positive is always ON even when the ignition is switch off this wire is the one that suppies power to keep memory in radio this like time, your preset station etc meaning when you switch the radio on it start from where your left it, if you were playing a cd it continue from where you left it from. So this wire is always ON then the 2nd this one usually works with the stages of the ignition key either only on when insert the key or when put in stage 1 or 2 of ignition that the one that switches off the panel of your radio.

so the common mistake some people do is they connect the two positive wire to that positive which is always on, so one you do that it means your radio is always on even with ignition off the only way is turn off the radio physically after or before the ignition is off

solution you need to find the 2nd wire that only turn ON when ignition/accessory is ON and connect the one of the radio positive to that one, then your radio should be able to switch off automatically after switch of the ignition if it doesnt it simply means your criss crossed the two positive one

ISO standard connection colours for aftermarket radio are YELLOW = ALWAYS ON POSITIVE 12V aka battery, RED = 12V ACCESORY powers only when key is ON or ingition 1 or 2, the finally BLACK = GROUND aka NEGATIVE

So based on aftermakert radios YELLOW wire to connect to a permanent 12v wire (always on with 12v feed) the RED connected to 12v wire that on becomes on when key in ingition 1 or 2 and BLACK is on GROUND aka negitive, this way your radio switch of when ignition is also OFF
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by mili3kid(m): 2:31pm On May 15, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

car radio works with 3 wires, ground aka negative, then 2 positive ones that works differently the 1st positive is always ON even when the ignition is switch off this wire is the one that suppies power to keep memory in radio this like time, your preset station etc meaning when you switch the radio on it start from where your left it, if you were playing a cd it continue from where you left it from. So this wire is always ON then the 2nd this one usually works with the stages of the ignition key either only on when insert the key or when put in stage 1 or 2 of ignition that the one that switches off the panel of your radio.

so the common mistake some people do is they connect the two positive wire to that positive which is always on, so one you do that it means your radio is always on even with ignition off the only way is turn off the radio physically after or before the ignition is off

solution you need to find the 2nd wire that only turn ON when ignition/accessory is ON and connect the one of the radio positive to that one, then your radio should be able to switch off automatically after switch of the ignition if it doesnt it simply means your criss crossed the two positive one

ISO standard connection colours for aftermarket radio are YELLOW = ALWAYS ON POSITIVE 12V aka battery, RED = 12V ACCESORY powers only when key is ON or ingition 1 or 2, the finally BLACK = GROUND aka NEGATIVE

So based on aftermakert radios YELLOW wire to connect to a permanent 12v wire (always on with 12v feed) the RED connected to 12v wire that on becomes on when key in ingition 1 or 2 and BLACK is on GROUND aka negitive, this way your radio switch of when ignition is also OFF
tnx for dis bro... will try check d radio connection out. hope it also applies to OEM radio cuz d radio is not after market. na followcome radio
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by mili3kid(m): 2:33pm On May 15, 2017
Lexusgs430:

I no gree o
looolz.... see tif. so na onli U dem dey sow for abi? tif tiffer tiffest
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by Lexusgs430: 10:44pm On May 15, 2017
mili3kid:

looolz.... see tif. so na onli U dem dey sow for abi? tif tiffer tiffest

I look after myself best.........
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by Nobody: 10:44pm On May 15, 2017
Check if the factory connection to your radio has ever been messed with. Tapes and bare wires are a clear pointer, then we can continue from there.
Re: Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. by mili3kid(m): 9:28am On May 17, 2017
Mementoes:
Check if the factory connection to your radio has ever been messed with. Tapes and bare wires are a clear pointer, then we can continue from there.
alryt... will check d radio wiring and connections for any irregularities

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Road Trek For Sale! For The Campers And Travellers. / Car Scanning Available In Benin / Audi A4 Hard Jerk At High Temperature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.