Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery (21948 Views)

8 Driving Habits That Ruin Your Car And Drain Your Wallet / Top 8 Discontinued Cars Nigerians Are Really Going To Miss. (PHOTOS) / 8 Things You Didn’t Know About Lexus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by AutoReportNG: 2:19pm On Jan 22, 2019
You're late for work and rush out to your car, only to find that it won't start. The headlights are dim and the engine simply refuses to turn over. You realize that your battery is dead. How did this happen?

A car battery is the most crucial piece of equipment to starting and driving your vehicle. It sends power from the starter motor to the sparks plugs, igniting your car’s fuel, while also giving other systems power. This includes lights, radio, air conditioning, and more. You may be able to tell when your car battery starts to die if you find it difficult to start, have flickering lights, or a weakening alarm system

Your car battery may begin to drain for 8 reasons:

[img]https://4.bp..com/-O1C8N2gOo04/XEcWV8jXpuI/AAAAAAAAXjo/z3Od1ySZ1YoTlzQXYLg-7uEK7ZC8vJKnwCLcBGAs/s1600/battery%2Bdrain.jpg[/img]

1. Human Error

You’ve probably done this at least once in your life – you come home from work, tired and not really thinking, and left the headlights on, didn't completely close the trunk, or even forgot about some internal lights. Overnight the battery drains, and in the morning your car won’t start. Many new cars alert you if you’ve left your lights on, but may not have alerts for other components.

2. Parasitic Drain

Parasitic drain is due to components in your vehicle continuing to run after the key is turned off. Some parasitic drain is normal – your battery delivers enough energy to keep things, like your clock, radio presets, and security alarm operational at all times. However, if there's an electrical problem – such as faulty wiring, poor installation, and defective fuses – parasitic drain can exceed what's normal and deplete the battery.

3. Faulty Charging

If your charging system isn’t working properly, your car battery can drain even while you’re driving. Many cars power their lights, radio, and other systems from the alternator, which can make the battery drain worse if there's a charging problem. The alternator may have loose belts or worn-out tensioners that keep it from working properly.

4. Defective Alternator

A car alternator recharges the battery and powers certain electrical systems like lights, radio, air-conditioning, and automatic windows. If your alternator has a bad diode, your battery can drain. The bad alternator diode can cause the circuit to charge even when the engine is shut off, and you end up in the morning with a car that won’t start.

5. Extreme Temperature

Whether extremely hot (over 100 degrees Fahrenheit) or cold (under 10 degrees Fahrenheit), temperatures can cause lead sulfate crystals to build-up. If the car is left in such conditions for too long, the sulfate buildup can damage long-term battery life. It may also take a long time for your battery to charge in these environments, especially if you only drive short distances.

6. Excessive Short Drives

Your battery may wear out before its time if you take too many short drives. The battery puts out the most power when starting the car. Shutting off your vehicle before the alternator has a chance to recharge could explain why the battery continues dying or doesn’t seem to last long.

7. Corroded or Loose Battery Cables

The charging system cannot top off your battery while driving if the battery connections have corroded. They should be checked for dirt or signs of corrosion and cleaned using cloth or a toothbrush. Loose battery cables make it difficult to start the engine too, as they cannot transfer the electrical current efficiently.

8. Old battery

If your battery is old or weak, it will not hold a full charge well. If your car consistently won't start, it’s possible that the battery is worn out. You should generally replace your car battery every 3-4 years. If old, or poorly maintained, your battery may die on a regular basis.

What to do with a battery that keeps dying:

Having a battery that won't hold a charge is frustrating, and figuring out what's causing the problem can be tricky. Assuming that the cause of the battery drain is not human error, you will need the assistance of a qualified mechanic who can diagnose your car's electrical problems and determine if it's a dead battery or something else in the electrical system.

Credit:
YourMechanic

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/01/these-are-top-8-things-that-will-drain.html

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by AutoReportNG: 2:19pm On Jan 22, 2019
Whats your take?
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by Maskedtitan: 3:42pm On Jan 22, 2019
Educative. Kudos!

1 Like

Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by freemanbubble: 3:43pm On Jan 22, 2019
Isokay
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by stanley000: 3:44pm On Jan 22, 2019
Always wind up/down the glass while the car is still on. Thank me later

2 Likes

Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by TIGRITIS: 3:46pm On Jan 22, 2019
Thanks for the head up, especially @ no. 6
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by basic23111: 3:46pm On Jan 22, 2019
if u off your engine before you off the head full light can also drain your battery
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by theoldpretender(m): 3:49pm On Jan 22, 2019
UltimatePrime:
Dear sir/Ma,
I'm a final year and an engineering student of Unilorin. I'm deeply in need of your financial assistance towards the progress of my project. I'm the sponsor of myself and I've never been so financially handicap until my final year. Our monthly progress report is by the ending of this month and I'm yet to acquire necessary data needed for the progress of my work due to the heavily cost of equipment rentage.
Pls kindly assist me as you deem fit. May you not lack bwy God's grace.

Please, stop lying.

2 Likes

Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by TIGRITIS: 3:54pm On Jan 22, 2019
derok3130x:
This one will just be posting nonsense up and down. What is it about sef? Mtchew.

1 Like

Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by ednut1(m): 3:57pm On Jan 22, 2019
Kazeems altering your fan blades. Continious rolling

1 Like

Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by sheriffindy(m): 4:03pm On Jan 22, 2019
Buhari Amaechi Adams
Polaris Bank

just pay in 1000 Naira..which i will use in catapaulting conveying myself to where i can get a strong network signal in my phone for a succesful transfer for you....dont say i didnt want to help

UltimatePrime:
Dear sir/Ma,
I'm a final year and an engineering student of Unilorin. I'm deeply in need of your financial assistance towards the progress of my project. I'm the sponsor of myself and I've never been so financially handicap until my final year. Our monthly progress report is by the ending of this month and I'm yet to acquire necessary data needed for the progress of my work due to the heavily cost of equipment rentage.

3 Likes

Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 22, 2019
Nothing drains battery like always playing music via car stereo while the car is off.

Buying Chinese batteries.

And doing iduplorplor in your car. tongue

5 Likes

Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by Abubakar247(m): 4:18pm On Jan 22, 2019
i was a victim of no1 just last week.. Thanks
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by Abubakar247(m): 4:19pm On Jan 22, 2019
i was a victim of no1 just last week.. Thanks
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by philos(m): 4:43pm On Jan 22, 2019
In terms of solution, can the battery charge be extended by disconnecting the two terminals of the battery?
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by Pabloosas(m): 5:25pm On Jan 22, 2019
grin
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by oluwasegun007(m): 5:51pm On Jan 22, 2019
Don't have one yet... But let me learn against that time..
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by nemadfsyahooc: 6:15pm On Jan 22, 2019
[quote author=AutoReportNG post=75005530]You're late for work and rush out to your car, only to find that it won't start. The headlights are dim and the engine simply refuses to turn over. You realize that your battery is dead. How did this happen?

A car battery is the most crucial piece of equipment to starting and driving your vehicle. It sends power from the starter motor to the sparks plugs, igniting your car’s fuel, while also giving other systems power. This includes lights, radio, air conditioning, and more. You may be able to tell when your car battery starts to die if you find it difficult to start, have flickering lights, or a weakening alarm system

Your car battery may begin to drain for 8 reasons:

[img]https://4.bp..com/-O1C8N2gOo04/XEcWV8jXpuI/AAAAAAAAXjo/z3Od1ySZ1YoTlzQXYLg-7uEK7ZC8vJKnwCLcBGAs/s1600/battery%2Bdrain.jpg[/img]

1. Human Error

You’ve probably done this at least once in your life – you come home from work, tired and not really thinking, and left the headlights on, didn't completely close the trunk, or even forgot about some internal lights. Overnight the battery drains, and in the morning your car won’t start. Many new cars alert you if you’ve left your lights on, but may not have alerts for other components.

2. Parasitic Drain

Parasitic drain is due to components in your vehicle continuing to run after the key is turned off. Some parasitic drain is normal – your battery delivers enough energy to keep things, like your clock, radio presets, and security alarm operational at all times. However, if there's an electrical problem – such as faulty wiring, poor installation, and defective fuses – parasitic drain can exceed what's normal and deplete the battery.

3. Faulty Charging

If your charging system isn’t working properly, your car battery can drain even while you’re driving. Many cars power their lights, radio, and other systems from the alternator, which can make the battery drain worse if there's a charging problem. The alternator may have loose belts or worn-out tensioners that keep it from working properly.

4. Defective Alternator

A car alternator recharges the battery and powers certain electrical systems like lights, radio, air-conditioning, and automatic windows. If your alternator has a bad diode, your battery can drain. The bad alternator diode can cause the circuit to charge even when the engine is shut off, and you end up in the morning with a car that won’t start.

5. Extreme Temperature

Whether extremely hot (over 100 degrees Fahrenheit) or cold (under 10 degrees Fahrenheit), temperatures can cause lead sulfate crystals to build-up. If the car is left in such conditions for too long, the sulfate buildup can damage long-term battery life. It may also take a long time for your battery to charge in these environments, especially if you only drive short distances.

6. Excessive Short Drives

Your battery may wear out before its time if you take too many short drives. The battery puts out the most power when starting the car. Shutting off your vehicle before the alternator has a chance to recharge could explain why the battery continues dying or doesn’t seem to last long.

7. Corroded or Loose Battery Cables

The charging system cannot top off your battery while driving if the battery connections have corroded. They should be checked for dirt or signs of corrosion and cleaned using cloth or a toothbrush. Loose battery cables make it difficult to start the engine too, as they cannot transfer the electrical current efficiently.

8. Old battery

If your battery is old or weak, it will not hold a full charge well. If your car consistently won't start, it’s possible that the battery is worn out. You should generally replace your car battery every 3-4 years. If old, or poorly maintained, your battery may die on a regular basis.

What to do with a battery that keeps dying:

Having a battery that won't hold a charge is frustrating, and figuring out what's causing the problem can be tricky. Assuming that the cause of the battery drain is not human error, you will need the assistance of a qualified mechanic who can diagnose your car's electrical problems and determine if it's a dead battery or something else in the electrical system.

Credit:
YourMechanic

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/01/these-are-top-8-things-that-will-drain.html

[/quote

Is it OK to remove the battery head every evening or night to prevent discharge. What effect does this act has on the vehicle.
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by Mentorme: 7:03pm On Jan 22, 2019
I do remove the battery head each time I parked it (too much inbuilt power consumption and short distance )
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by lookmangiw(m): 7:46pm On Jan 22, 2019
UltimatePrime:
Dear sir/Ma,
so many online beggars this days. What a country
Re: These Are Top 8 Things That Will Drain Your Car Battery by Floryangel8: 8:16pm On Jan 22, 2019
Thanks, useful. Cold Weather can also be a factor. We in Jos can say better. Most January I have to warm my car if I won't drive for the day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Moment Of Truth: Which Of These Throwback Cars Did Your Family Have? / Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles / Ford Maintenance In Nigeria: How Easy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.