Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,581 members, 7,837,193 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

More Tech At Mytechmore..com- The Review - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / More Tech At Mytechmore..com- The Review (640 Views)

Who Owns Newsdey.com? The Site Looks Good. / Is Yukhub.com The Next Nairaland Or ? - The Review You Probably Shouldn't Read / Change Your Blog Domain From ..com To .com Or .net In A Jiffy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

More Tech At Mytechmore..com- The Review by Copycracker(m): 7:00pm On May 15, 2017
Damnnn it's been a long day, and my head is pounding, no pounded yam.

I know... weak punchline. Which is probably why I didn't further my career as a rapper.

My headache is like Yokozuna though, but a review thou asketh for, a review thou shalt get.

Let's begin.

I. Design And Layout.

I gotta say, in spite of a few gbagauns (which I will get into), you have done a great job with the design. Really clean background + dope colours of tabs.

Nothing really beats a white background. It makes it easier to pick a colour that will stand out and make your page easier to go through. So I give you props on making that happen for me. Plus, I'm not being obviously assaulted by ads like yesterday when I reviewed... abeg make we leave that one.

So thank you.

Now, let's talk about the small gbagauns:

(i) Your URL

I get it .. na hustle and you gas start somewhere... with free hosting... which I'm not that mad at.

But, if you're really serious about this online biz, you will need to invest in paid hosting.

That will take care of the "..com.ng" thingy at the end that makes your URL a bit too heavy.

Plus, paid hosting + domain name is just way better (and if you really think about it, cheaper) than free hosting.

(ii) Site Title

Why is it written in lower case letters?

Like if you look at your tab in the browser, everything from the "welcome" to the "techmore blog" is in lowercase. Not good. NOt good at all.

Plus, if you read one of my previous reviews, you would have seen where I said I was starting a mufment.

The #WelcomeToMySiteMustDie Mufment.

You don't need to say "Welcome to My Techmore Blog". I think I already used a shopping mall analogy in a previous review (https://www.nairaland.com/3794918/hey-ayodelejays-user-wey-dey ) to explain why having "Welcome To" in front of your site title is unnecessary.

Get rid of the "Welcome to"... scratch that, get rid of everything but Techmore. The rest should be silent and invisible.

That might help with the problem of having your theme chop of your logo at the left top corner of your site, like it's doing now.

And type your Site Title and ID as Techmore or TechMore, whichever suits you.

(iii) Your tagline is on ghost mode.

That nigga dey form secret agent or James Bond or something cos I couldn't find the nigga.

Fine, your URL sorta gives us an idea, like "hmm, this site is probably about tech..." but what kind of tech?

Are you talking technology in the medical field or engineering or what?

What exactly?

You need to make it clear to us visitors what we will benefit from reading your content and looking through your site. Or most of us will just bounce.

Aiight?

Good.

(iv) I'm in love with your primary nav menu.

She's so sexy, although she's all the way up. But she's there, and that's what matters. After this review, I think I'm gonna ask her out.

Thumbs up for having her there.

Although I just spotted a gbagaun. Please before "henybody" sees "hit", "shange" that "PIVACY POLICY" to "PRIVACY POLICY", add an About Us tab and a Contact Us tab.

Before they think she isn't "selzy" henymore.

(v) Why does your right side bar have a title? And why is the title "Sidebar ads" when the elements there are not really ads?

REmove that sharp-a-ly.

Where is the search bar here?

Put one... so just in case we miss the one in the header section, we can use this one.

I love the whole "Popular posts, Video, Category" tab thing... It's nice... except that there's no content in your video section and the Category section could be better arranged.

Remove that video section completely.

Then that sponsor section... No point to it... REmove it.

The "find us on Facebook" part doesn't link to your facebook... It looks like a link but isn't... REmove it and replace it with actual links to your social media accounts which you should set up for your business.

Why don't I also see a subscribe box?

You don't want us to subscribe? shocked

Put one ASAP.

(vi) Your left side bar is not for repeating things you already have in your primary nav menu and right side bar.

You're making that place look funny.

Plus the About Us thing that looks like a link but isn't a link?

Remove all the things there.

Put a vertical display of social media links. Go see how www.9jaboizgist.com.ng if you're unclear of what I mean by "vertical display of social media links".

(vii) I aint mad at your footer, but it could be cuter.

See what I did there?

I rhymed footer with cuter.

No?

You don't care?
sad cry

Well here's the thing about your footer.... You have Flickr Images, Labels, and About Us

The problem is you don't have any flickr images there, and why would your user need flickr images at this point in your site?

I don't really see why. Unless you can explain it in a way that will make sense to us users... Actually no... If you have to explain the point to us, then it's unnecessary.

REmove it.

About Us: you should have that link somewhere instead of it to just be there empty and linking to nothing. You could even switch that out for Contact Us and then have your Contact Details there.

The Labels are okay there.

You could also have a subscribe box here and social media links to remind us to subscribe and follow you on social media.

Okay, wow, I just noticed a mini secondary menu in the lower right of your footer that has a Contact page and About Us... Okay, you need to have those in your primary nav menu STAT.

II. Content.

(i) Okay, you need to work on your headlines.

The formula is to focus on the user.

Think of the BTR (Benefit to readers... yes, I'm making that a thing now) when you're crafting your headline.

Find it, and then communicate it clearly to your readers, without any big english or "senrenre".

For the sake of time, I can't go through all your headlines, but I can tell you if you look at some of them, you'll see that the benefit for reading isn't implicitly clear.

You need to work on that.

(ii) You need to align your images properly.

I've looked at 2 posts and noticed you like to put the image at the top of the post and then the main content starts below.

Try to align your images to the right, so the text starts and the image is there beside it.

We shouldn't have to start scrolling down again to see your content.

(iii) Your grammar and punctuation.

I just looked through 2 posts and I found a few errors. If I look through any more, I think I might find some more.

Try to run spell and grammar checks before you hit publish.

Also, it seems like you just write a first draft of a post and immediately hit "publish".

That aint the way to go.

Look through your posts, read it aloud to yourself. If you find any area that sounds like gbagaun to you, mehn, highlight that and come back to analyse that.

Also make sure, to always run spell and grammar checks, capitalize at the beginning of your sentences, and use the apostrophe mark better.

(iv) Your review posts have a "Buy" text that look like they should be a link, but they're not.

Either link it to the actual product and where it can be bought or remove that completely.

(v) Also, try to make your posts as detailed as possible.

You're writing in the tech niche and standing out here is like trying to be a special needle in a stack of needles.

You need to be unique and actually make some effort.

(vi) Your About Us page doesn't "sparkle"

It's just like mehhhh... Spice it up, make it interesting for us to read.

I honestly didn't read it. You need to work on it.

III. Promotion

You need to do SEO and social media marketing obviously, but I would suggest you solve the content and layout issues above before you try to make your content rank too high.

Well, because right now, your content is not up to par. Advertising that will only make you look bad before you even start.

So, fix those issues first and then you can start thinking of that.

IV. Issues:

(i) What is your selling point?

Why would anyone read your blog instead of Techcrunch?

You need to figure out what your selling point is and who your actual target audience is.

(ii) What is the goal of your site? Is it business or pleasure?

Cos I don't see any subscribe box, or call to action. It's like you don't want to build a list of prospects that you can sell to which leads to the next question..

(iii) What are you selling?

Are you selling a product or a service?

Because I can't see any here.

I think I've given you a lot to think about. Now, let me go and watch STep Up All In... E don tey.

P.S. If you want me to review your site, abeg don't post it on the comments here. Post it here- https://www.nairaland.com/3765331/post-website-blog-here-get .

Appy Uzling!
Re: More Tech At Mytechmore..com- The Review by busybrain123(m): 8:12am On May 16, 2017
Copycracker:
Damnnn it's been a long day, and my head is pounding, no pounded yam.

I know... weak punchline. Which is probably why I didn't further my career as a rapper.

My headache is like Yokozuna though, but a review thou asketh for, a review thou shalt get.

Let's begin.

I. Design And Layout.

I gotta say, in spite of a few gbagauns (which I will get into), you have done a great job with the design. Really clean background + dope colours of tabs.

Nothing really beats a white background. It makes it easier to pick a colour that will stand out and make your page easier to go through. So I give you props on making that happen for me. Plus, I'm not being obviously assaulted by ads like yesterday when I reviewed... abeg make we leave that one.

So thank you.

Now, let's talk about the small gbagauns:

(i) Your URL

I get it .. na hustle and you gas start somewhere... with free hosting... which I'm not that mad at.

But, if you're really serious about this online biz, you will need to invest in paid hosting.

That will take care of the "..com.ng" thingy at the end that makes your URL a bit too heavy.

Plus, paid hosting + domain name is just way better (and if you really think about it, cheaper) than free hosting.

(ii) Site Title

Why is it written in lower case letters?

Like if you look at your tab in the browser, everything from the "welcome" to the "techmore blog" is in lowercase. Not good. NOt good at all.

Plus, if you read one of my previous reviews, you would have seen where I said I was starting a mufment.

The #WelcomeToMySiteMustDie Mufment.

You don't need to say "Welcome to My Techmore Blog". I think I already used a shopping mall analogy in a previous review (https://www.nairaland.com/3794918/hey-ayodelejays-user-wey-dey ) to explain why having "Welcome To" in front of your site title is unnecessary.

Get rid of the "Welcome to"... scratch that, get rid of everything but Techmore. The rest should be silent and invisible.

That might help with the problem of having your theme chop of your logo at the left top corner of your site, like it's doing now.

And type your Site Title and ID as Techmore or TechMore, whichever suits you.

(iii) Your tagline is on ghost mode.

That nigga dey form secret agent or James Bond or something cos I couldn't find the nigga.

Fine, your URL sorta gives us an idea, like "hmm, this site is probably about tech..." but what kind of tech?

Are you talking technology in the medical field or engineering or what?

What exactly?

You need to make it clear to us visitors what we will benefit from reading your content and looking through your site. Or most of us will just bounce.

Aiight?

Good.

(iv) I'm in love with your primary nav menu.

She's so sexy, although she's all the way up. But she's there, and that's what matters. After this review, I think I'm gonna ask her out.

Thumbs up for having her there.

Although I just spotted a gbagaun. Please before "henybody" sees "hit", "shange" that "PIVACY POLICY" to "PRIVACY POLICY", add an About Us tab and a Contact Us tab.

Before they think she isn't "selzy" henymore.

(v) Why does your right side bar have a title? And why is the title "Sidebar ads" when the elements there are not really ads?

REmove that sharp-a-ly.

Where is the search bar here?

Put one... so just in case we miss the one in the header section, we can use this one.

I love the whole "Popular posts, Video, Category" tab thing... It's nice... except that there's no content in your video section and the Category section could be better arranged.

Remove that video section completely.

Then that sponsor section... No point to it... REmove it.

The "find us on Facebook" part doesn't link to your facebook... It looks like a link but isn't... REmove it and replace it with actual links to your social media accounts which you should set up for your business.

Why don't I also see a subscribe box?

You don't want us to subscribe? shocked

Put one ASAP.

(vi) Your left side bar is not for repeating things you already have in your primary nav menu and right side bar.

You're making that place look funny.

Plus the About Us thing that looks like a link but isn't a link?

Remove all the things there.

Put a vertical display of social media links. Go see how www.9jaboizgist.com.ng if you're unclear of what I mean by "vertical display of social media links".

(vii) I aint mad at your footer, but it could be cuter.

See what I did there?

I rhymed footer with cuter.

No?

You don't care?
sad cry

Well here's the thing about your footer.... You have Flickr Images, Labels, and About Us

The problem is you don't have any flickr images there, and why would your user need flickr images at this point in your site?

I don't really see why. Unless you can explain it in a way that will make sense to us users... Actually no... If you have to explain the point to us, then it's unnecessary.

REmove it.

About Us: you should have that link somewhere instead of it to just be there empty and linking to nothing. You could even switch that out for Contact Us and then have your Contact Details there.

The Labels are okay there.

You could also have a subscribe box here and social media links to remind us to subscribe and follow you on social media.

Okay, wow, I just noticed a mini secondary menu in the lower right of your footer that has a Contact page and About Us... Okay, you need to have those in your primary nav menu STAT.

II. Content.

(i) Okay, you need to work on your headlines.

The formula is to focus on the user.

Think of the BTR (Benefit to readers... yes, I'm making that a thing now) when you're crafting your headline.

Find it, and then communicate it clearly to your readers, without any big english or "senrenre".

For the sake of time, I can't go through all your headlines, but I can tell you if you look at some of them, you'll see that the benefit for reading isn't implicitly clear.

You need to work on that.

(ii) You need to align your images properly.

I've looked at 2 posts and noticed you like to put the image at the top of the post and then the main content starts below.

Try to align your images to the right, so the text starts and the image is there beside it.

We shouldn't have to start scrolling down again to see your content.

(iii) Your grammar and punctuation.

I just looked through 2 posts and I found a few errors. If I look through any more, I think I might find some more.

Try to run spell and grammar checks before you hit publish.

Also, it seems like you just write a first draft of a post and immediately hit "publish".

That aint the way to go.

Look through your posts, read it aloud to yourself. If you find any area that sounds like gbagaun to you, mehn, highlight that and come back to analyse that.

Also make sure, to always run spell and grammar checks, capitalize at the beginning of your sentences, and use the apostrophe mark better.

(iv) Your review posts have a "Buy" text that look like they should be a link, but they're not.

Either link it to the actual product and where it can be bought or remove that completely.

(v) Also, try to make your posts as detailed as possible.

You're writing in the tech niche and standing out here is like trying to be a special needle in a stack of needles.

You need to be unique and actually make some effort.

(vi) Your About Us page doesn't "sparkle"

It's just like mehhhh... Spice it up, make it interesting for us to read.

I honestly didn't read it. You need to work on it.

III. Promotion

You need to do SEO and social media marketing obviously, but I would suggest you solve the content and layout issues above before you try to make your content rank too high.

Well, because right now, your content is not up to par. Advertising that will only make you look bad before you even start.

So, fix those issues first and then you can start thinking of that.

IV. Issues:

(i) What is your selling point?

Why would anyone read your blog instead of Techcrunch?

You need to figure out what your selling point is and who your actual target audience is.

(ii) What is the goal of your site? Is it business or pleasure?

Cos I don't see any subscribe box, or call to action. It's like you don't want to build a list of prospects that you can sell to which leads to the next question..

(iii) What are you selling?

Are you selling a product or a service?

Because I can't see any here.

I think I've given you a lot to think about. Now, let me go and watch STep Up All In... E don tey.

P.S. If you want me to review your site, abeg don't post it on the comments here. Post it here- https://www.nairaland.com/3765331/post-website-blog-here-get .

Appy Uzling!
Thanks bro...I will work on those areas you mentioned above...
Re: More Tech At Mytechmore..com- The Review by busybrain123(m): 8:13am On May 16, 2017

(1) (Reply)

12 Things To Do Before Applying For Adsense To Get Quick Approval / Who Can Setup A Blog For Me? / Five (5) Proffesional Things You Should Know Before Starting An Online Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.