Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,273 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony (2771 Views)

My Car Smokes And Short Oil Because After Changing Oil Any Remedy / My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help / Toyota Camry 99 V6: Smokes And Jerkes, Pls Help. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by seal777(m): 1:20pm On Jan 12, 2010
I posted a thread here seeking advice from experts in the house on my TOYOTA CAMRY V6 smoking and jerking.
Faithful nairalanders showed passion and concern by offering various advices which I promise to analyse, take a decision and inform the house on the developments.

Prior to posting the thread, my mechanic advice as follows:
1. That I change the brain box to stop the smoke and
2. Change the fuel pump to stop the jerking.

On Saturday, I start the car like a normal day but was surprised that the car was emitting smoke uncontrollably and embarrassing one at that.

Having had an appointment with my mechanic to try out some of the advice I was given in the house, I took the car to his work shop( 15mins ride within surulere) but to my surprise the car consumed ¼ of the fuel, having bought full tank the previous night.

My mechanic check the fuel pump, flush the injector, loosed the tank to examine possible dirt but to no avail. He then refers me back to his earlier advice to change the brain box.

We took off to ladipo market and the car consume another ¼ of the fuel, jerking uncontrollably and the car tripped off more than 5 times along the way.

I reluctantly agreed to change the brain box cos it was expensive but to my charging surprise after changing the brain box (to a different one from the one cos according to them it wouldn’t work well replacing it with CAMRY 99 MODEL brain box), and the six spark plugs: the smoke stopped, no more jerking, the engine works so silent and cool: The A/c shares the same weather features with Antarctica.

I am happy to tell you that we took half tank of fuel from ladipo market, to eric moore in surulere, back to ijesha via aguda thru lawanson road, to ojuelegba, back thru bode thomas and back to itire, virtually flying across other cars like plane (all with the A/C on). With the fuel gauge just a little below the half tank.   

THE GUY GAVE ME A CLUE THAT THE OWNER OF THE CAR SOLD IT TO ME COS OF THE PROBLEM HAVING SPEND SO MUCH TRYING TO FIX THE PROBLEM (the fuel pump is new, the tyres new, the alloy new, clean interior and exterior, 79,000 on the mileage and totally clean greay color that could go for a car painted just last week, keyless entry security and electric adjustable driver seat.

With just a week experience with the car, I would not sell the car, even for 150,000 naira profit.

I am enjoying my car with utmost joy and would not comment on V4 engine cos the difference is clear.

I wish to thank everybody for staying by me during this trying time.

Lastly, if you have not experience a V6 engine before now, please try one cos u re denying urself of the ultimate driving experience.

Thanks to everyone one, God bless you.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by german007(m): 1:50pm On Jan 12, 2010
Enjoy Sir!
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by chelseabmw(m): 1:54pm On Feb 01, 2010
Tnx 4 d advise
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by edwin101: 2:43pm On Feb 01, 2010
na wa o! so it was the brain box that was causing all the wahala. see why they say that two heads are better than one. how much is the brain box? maybe next time try and use a diagnosis machine to actually tell you the problem without going through all this stress. moto wahala. grin
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by seal777(m): 4:13pm On Feb 01, 2010
@EDWIN 101,
i didnt experience the stress cos my mechanic told me before i bought the car that i will change the brain box, so i factored that in when negotiating for the car.

telling the owner to repair the fault and we will come back and pick the car, he refused and instead agreed to our price.

The brain box that was fixed was that of TOYOTA SIENNA, cost 25k including fixing.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by mahal(m): 4:53pm On Feb 01, 2010
@ poster,

I presently have the same problem, it has been like this since 2008. I could tell you i have been changing mechanics like boxer shorts since then, however, my present mech did some work on the brain box with his laptop/ accessories and it improved, but hasnt completely stopped smoking especially during serious acceleration. I m still not comfortable with the fuel consumption. My C class even saves fuel better.

Do you advise i change the brain box completely like you did?
How much did you get the brain thing?
I wouldn't mind my AC working like the Antarctica too.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by seal777(m): 5:07pm On Feb 01, 2010
Mine was a TOYOTA CAMRY V6 engine, dont know the type of car u drive.

The brain bos was changed bt with that of toyota sienna for 25k with guarantee but no negotiation allowed.

Mine was a very visible and thick smoke,peprish in smell indicating fuel burning.

I would advice you have it analysed by those guys, perhaps that will be be the solution.

To my suprise, 4 camrys met me where i changed the brain box, all with the same problem, thick smoke emitting from the exhaust, and the car drinking fuel like gulder in the process.

i pray the have not tampered with ur engine.

The guy informed me that once the brain box is weak, there is hardly any solution as the box supplies wrong information to the eninge.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by mahal(m): 6:00pm On Feb 01, 2010
My car is also a Toyota Camry 99 V6, Black Visible smoke, though it's reduced now but it drinks fuel and this N100 per litre thing here in warri is not helping matters. i have no choice, i think i would try it out tomorrow. Thanks a lot.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by seal777(m): 6:06pm On Feb 01, 2010
try and send a bit of the history of how it started and what u ve done on it so far, i could try and relate the both .

but as u have said, its the brain box and nothing more.

i have been authoritatively told that the engine hardly develop fault, the brain bos is the ultimate.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by seal777(m): 10:42am On Feb 02, 2010
@mahal,
Since we drive the same kind of car ( CAMRY 99 V6), it will be nice we share infos at interval so we better maximize the benefit of the car.

I am still expecting ur reply hopefully with the aim of solving the cars problem, i cant imagine what u re going thru, cant wait for you to start enjoying what i am enjoying too having got over the initial gra gra.

I have a toyota guru in port harcourt, if you dont mind.

seal4all@yahoo.com.

Contact me.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by mahal(m): 1:50pm On Feb 02, 2010
Hi Seal,
Thanks, my Mech guy is outta town, however i discussed with his assist.
I have resolved to do it, I believe it would be better if i change the brain.
It would be nice to share info, but generallly Camry's are trouble free. i dunno when last
i opened that bonnet.

I 'm in Waari Delta State. PH is 3.5 hours away from warri.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by adron: 1:56pm On Feb 02, 2010
at seal777 and mahal, i  happen to be a new owner of a 1999 V6 camry. trust me, that car is just it! Mine is not giving me any issues and i pray it stays like that. i have been warned to service it regularly and to promptly deal with any small issue it comes up with. but then, i need to know how this car consumes fuel. have u guys  gauge the miles covered with a full tank?  thanks,

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by mahal(m): 2:08pm On Feb 02, 2010
adron:

at seal777 and mahal, i  happen to be a new owner of a 1999 V6 camry. trust me, that car is just it! Mine is not giving me any issues and i pray it stays like that. i have been warned to service it regularly and to promptly deal with any small issue it comes up with. [b]but then, i need to know how this car consumes fuel. have u guys  gauge the miles covered with a full tank?  thank[/b]s,
relax Adron and enjoy the ride, nuttin do you. Its only when there's a fault. which we complained about earlier (the brain box).
Toyotas are fuel efficient.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by seal777(m): 4:35pm On Feb 02, 2010
@adron,
i concor with you that 99 camry V6 is it, i use to drive honda 04 EOD before i bought the camry, Its a pity that i dropped my firsl love for the camry.

In terms of fuel, it takes a little more than the 4 cylinders ( 2 ddditional cylinders needing fuel to power it ) cos of the drive and stop nature of our journey but try travelling with it, you will love the fuel efficiency, the force behind the trottle, the smoothness and the balance of the car in motion.

Be warned never to allow any incident of an empty tank and service it regularly( na the two enemy wey V6 get be that).

@mahal

Sacrifice and get the brain box, u will not regret it.

I saw a Camry V6 that have covered 236,000+ and mine is just 79,000+ (ummmmmm, i go waka with this moto).

I am thinking of a cross country tour with my Camry for my next leave.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by seal777(m): 1:13pm On Feb 03, 2010
my people, keep the ideas going.

pls contribute
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by seal777(m): 11:02am On Sep 04, 2010
I wish to reopen this thread cos its interesting.

On the issue of fuel efficiency on V6 engine, i had a full tank from portharcourt on my way to Lagos with a/c on through the journey, encountered some hold ups within portharcourt city cos of the construction work on the roads, i got the reserve light on at ijebu ode and had to re fuel for onward movement to Lagos.

With my experience with my Honda EOD 4 cylinder, the fuel efficiency is minimal once your car idles well and other engine parts work fine, i take solace in the force behind the torgue and the movement of the car.

YOU DRIVE A V6?, lets have ur opinion.
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by oddyse2k(m): 1:08pm On Jun 04, 2012
mehn seal777, i am in your shoes now ohh, just got a camry99 its drinking my fuel and smoking, i have been advised to change brain box but was skeptical, now i think i will, do u have the guy in ladipo's number or contact. i am not enjoying the car ohh. pls halla back
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by oddyse2k(m): 1:13pm On Jun 04, 2012
[quote author=seal777]I posted a thread here seeking advice from experts in the house on my TOYOTA CAMRY V6 smoking and jerking.
Faithful nairalanders showed passion and concern by offering various advices which I promise to analyse, take a decision and inform the house on the developments.

Prior to posting the thread, my mechanic advice as follows:
1. That I change the brain box to stop the smoke and
2. Change the fuel pump to stop the jerking.

On Saturday, I start the car like a normal day but was surprised that the car was emitting smoke uncontrollably and embarrassing one at that.

Having had an appointment with my mechanic to try out some of the advice I was given in the house, I took the car to his work shop( 15mins ride within surulere) but to my surprise the car consumed ¼ of the fuel, having bought full tank the previous night.

My mechanic check the fuel pump, flush the injector, loosed the tank to examine possible dirt but to no avail. He then refers me back to his earlier advice to change the brain box.

We took off to ladipo market and the car consume another ¼ of the fuel, jerking uncontrollably and the car tripped off more than 5 times along the way.

I reluctantly agreed to change the brain box cos it was expensive but to my charging surprise after changing the brain box (to a different one from the one cos according to them it wouldn’t work well replacing it with CAMRY 99 MODEL brain box), and the six spark plugs: the smoke stopped, no more jerking, the engine works so silent and cool: The A/c shares the same weather features with Antarctica.

I am happy to tell you that we took half tank of fuel from ladipo market, to eric moore in surulere, back to ijesha via aguda thru lawanson road, to ojuelegba, back thru bode thomas and back to itire, virtually flying across other cars like plane (all with the A/C on). With the fuel gauge just a little below the half tank.   

THE GUY GAVE ME A CLUE THAT THE OWNER OF THE CAR SOLD IT TO ME COS OF THE PROBLEM HAVING SPEND SO MUCH TRYING TO FIX THE PROBLEM (the fuel pump is new, the tyres new, the alloy new, clean interior and exterior, 79,000 on the mileage and totally clean greay color that could go for a car painted just last week, keyless entry security and electric adjustable driver seat.

With just a week experience with the car, I would not sell the car, even for 150,000 naira profit.

I am enjoying my car with utmost joy and would not comment on V4 engine cos the difference is clear.

I wish to thank everybody for staying by me during this trying time.

Lastly, if you have not experience a V6 engine before now, please try one cos u re denying urself of the ultimate driving experience.

Thanks to everyone one, God bless you.

mehn seal777, i am in your shoes now ohh, just got a camry99 its drinking my fuel and smoking, i have been advised to change brain box but was skeptical, now i think i will, do u have the guy in ladipo's number or contact. i am not enjoying the car ohh. pls halla back
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by irewalle(m): 3:03pm On Aug 04, 2015
Please how much can I get a functioning brainbox for 1999 camry in Ladipo presently. Thanks!!!
Re: Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony by stepedie: 10:57pm On Aug 05, 2015
I also drive a V6 99 Camry...A fantastic ride (Whenever am going to Ibadan or Ilesha the ride na "Elele") but it's a pity am about to drop it for a new baby but I must confess that its a fantastic ride.
I used mine for 3 years and engine developed NO fault at all and never gave me the brainbox issue as well...All thanks to Jah
No illegal connections in the engine even though rewire was on my neck to remove my radiator thermostat but I no gree and my car no do over heating.
I just keep praying by the day that God should send someone that can take care of my cutie camry thesame way I did to come and have.

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo Toyota Camry (big Daddy) 2004 @ N1,550,000.00 Cal 08023416552 / 2 Units Tin-can Cleared 1999 Honda Cr-v: Asking 1.3m / Let's Help You Sell Your Registered/tokunbo Cars Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.