Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Common Birds In Nigeria - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Common Birds In Nigeria (38299 Views)

World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones (Pictures) / Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? / Most Common Passwords 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by daveP(m): 12:03am On May 17, 2017
Dexter247:
Eagle didn't make the list.. WTF undecided
help me ask him o. Hawk also. The one that makes a married, mother hen a lady hen, widow hen in a few weeks?!
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by flinton(m): 12:11am On May 17, 2017
bluejeff:
How about the Yellow Weaver Bird?
We called it asher Wen we were small, caught lots of them in our maize farm then, sold them for 20 naira, good ol dayz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Oseniade(m): 12:13am On May 17, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:
cool Tree sparrow: until the day I see another bird overtake this bird in the air, I will continue to call this beauty The fastest bird in the world.

No it is not. Peregrine Falcon is the fastest bird and of any animal in the world

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Mckandre(m): 12:14am On May 17, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:

I no know the name bro.

That's Y I did not include it.
its called kite, igbos dey call m "egbe"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by flinton(m): 12:15am On May 17, 2017
Is the vulture not common?
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by mysticwarrior(m): 3:25am On May 17, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:
cool Tree sparrow: until the day I see another bird overtake this bird in the air, I will continue to call this beauty The fastest bird in the world.
the name of this bird is swallow and not sparrow, the peregrine falcon is a formidable and an opportunistic hyperactive apex predator, it is graced with supreme speed with outstanding abilities, the peregrine falcon is the fastest creature in existence, it is capable of catching birds in mid air and not even the swifts and swallows can escape from them.

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Patented: 5:38am On May 17, 2017
Mckandre:
Haba ! U no even remember this one wey too dey like carry Mama romanus chicken every time e born angry
Black kite
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by sukkot: 6:10am On May 17, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:
5) Fire finchers: The firefinches (Lagonosticta ) are a genus of bird in the Estrildidae family. There are 11 species of fire finchers.
This must be oba akiolus favorite bird. LAGOONOSTICTA

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by sukkot: 6:12am On May 17, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:
2) Cattle Egret (Bubulcus Ibis): The cattle egret is a cosmopolitan species of heron (family Ardeidae) found in the tropics, subtropics and warm temperate zones. It is the only member of the monotypic genus Bubulcus , although some authorities regard two of its subspecies as full species, the western cattle egret and the eastern cattle egret. Despite the similarities in plumage to the egrets of the genus Egretta , it is more closely related to the herons of Ardea . Originally native to parts of Asia, Africa and Europe, it has undergone a rapid expansion in its distribution and successfully colonised much of the rest of the world in the last century.
The ibis is the sacred bird of HORUS in the egyptian pantheon. Horus is shown with the head of an ibis

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by naturefellow(m): 6:35am On May 17, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:

I do love birds bro.
But this is the first time I am hearing of these societies.
Pls, import your bird observations to iNaturalist.org. And let me know the handle you choose, I'll follow you.

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:58am On May 17, 2017
There are a lot of birds common in Nigeria that are missing on that list birds like Weaver bird one of the best nest engineer in birds Kingdom Swallow a.k.a God bird famous for building it's homes with mud.
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:15am On May 17, 2017
naturefellow:

Pls, import your bird observations to iNatutalist.org. And let me know the handle you choose, I'll follow you.

I will do that ASAP.

Thanks bro
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:17am On May 17, 2017
sukkot:
This must be oba akiolus favorite bird. LAGOONOSTICTA

LOL
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:19am On May 17, 2017
mysticwarrior:
the name of this bird is swallow and not sparrow, the peregrine falcon is a formidable and an opportunistic hyperactive apex predator, it is graced with supreme speed with outstanding abilities, the peregrine falcon is the fastest creature in existence, it is capable of catching birds in mid air and not even the swifts and swallows can escape from them.

I know that truly, the peregrine falcon is the fastest.

I'm just being sentimental.
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:21am On May 17, 2017
Oseniade:

No it is not. Peregrine Falcon is the fastest bird and of any animal in the world

I know bro.

I'm just being sentimental.
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Mcreloaded(m): 7:52am On May 17, 2017
Vulture
The most patient bird ,waits till your dead patiently before eating
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Mckandre(m): 7:59am On May 17, 2017
Patented:

Black kite
not sure if that bird is black sef, if ve seen the bird up close u will see its dark brown.

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by asha80(m): 8:03am On May 17, 2017
Mckandre:
not sure if that bird is black sef, if ve seen the bird up close u will see its dark brown.
you are right it is actually dark brown with yellow beak
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Patented: 3:40pm On May 17, 2017
Mckandre:
you are quite right, but its still called a black kite for whatever reason. It looks black from afar ough maybe that's why

Its actually called the yellow billed kite, it is very similar to the black kite
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by fatiaforreal: 6:20pm On May 17, 2017
asha80:
no 9 is called kpalakuku(named after its singing sound) in igbo

for no 5 is that the real name?
Biologist too have problems with names. I've watched a documentary where it was referred to by that name, but thereafter, I've not been able to read that name anywhere. Certainly, they're a specie of falcon. The speed, diving style, shape, vocalizations, except the size and colour. Even the spots are the same.
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by booksrite(f): 9:20pm On Jun 28, 2019

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by tck2000(m): 11:48am On Jan 15, 2020
OLUJOSHINS:
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by kayo80(m): 8:39am On Feb 26
UrennaNkoli:
That laughing dove should be the most common in nigeria. They are everywhere

I swear...Yoruba people call it "odirikoko." And they breed super fast. One had a nest with two chicks in my garden in January. My little nieces were playing with the tree one day and the chicks fell and died. A week later, the bird picked another tree in my compound, laid eggs, sat on them for a few weeks...they hatched, and i kid you not, within 2-3 weeks, the new chicks were almost as big as their mother...within 3-4 weeks, you couldn't differentiate them from their mom as they took their first flight.
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by kayo80(m): 8:40am On Feb 26
Funny thing, 1,3,4,5,6 are in my garden regularly...especially 1.

OP, you should have added the Speckled Pigeon...those ones are as common as the laughing dove (1) in my compound...al ways flying in to eat my chicken feed grin
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by kayo80(m): 8:43am On Feb 26
Speckled Pigeon.

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by kayo80(m): 8:57am On Feb 26
Mckandre:

Honestly, I used to think that's a hawk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Long Snake Killed Recently In Abuja (Photo) / Nnadi Chimaobi Michael Builds A Drone In Enugu (Photo, Video) / Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.