Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,608 members, 7,958,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 05:33 AM

Reasons You Don't Need To Pursue Happiness In This Day And Age - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Reasons You Don't Need To Pursue Happiness In This Day And Age (393 Views)

Goals To Pursue Before 30 / Resigning My Position To Pursue My Goal: Advice Needed / I Fell Sick For A Day And Was Fired The Next Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reasons You Don't Need To Pursue Happiness In This Day And Age by zazawaga(m): 12:07pm On May 16, 2017
Most of us are in pursuit of happiness, yet most base happiness on conditions. For example, many envision they will be happy if they were wealthy. I have met some wealthy people yet they suffered from depression, loneliness and anxiety.

Our lovely continent, Africa is popularly known to have the poorest countries and some of the most impoverished individuals. Yet, we frequently laugh and well, try to enjoy life, regardless of our situation.

I guess this goes to say true happiness is never in pursuit of happiness. It is a state of existence, irrespective of circumstances and this is what focusing instead on self-actualization will empower you to do. There are many things you've heard about happiness but the following are simple and practical step to self actualization in this day and age.

1.Stop comparing yourself to others

Don’t measure your worth based on what other people are doing.

Maybe one of your friends became a high-flying architect and another friend settled into the perfect married life with children. And perhaps you haven’t found your dream career or partner yet, but maybe that gives you the freedom to experiment with different things or even travel. Something neither your architect friend nor married friend would be able to do.

Remember that everyone’s path is different and everyone has days where they feel the same as you.

2.Stop using social media

Well not out rightly. A particular study revealed that 25% of participants 3 who used social media for an average of an hour a day, showed very high signs of depression.

Social media promotes depression and jealousy. It creates indirect peer pressure. People feel inadequate by how others are (seemingly) over-achieving. Even your parents (those on social media) will constantly send you profiles of those who they think are achieving what should be achieving. You then feel pressured to validate how happy your life is also by updating statuses or photos accordingly. It becomes a never-ending cycle where no one is ever truly being himself or herself.

Don’t log in as often and those who are your real friends will know how to stay in touch, trust me, I’ve been there.

3.Know that this too shall pass

No matter how stressed or worried you feel, remember that it is temporary and nothing ever remains the same. Look at that situation you’re in right now and ask yourself one question like I always do: “Will this matter by this time next year?” You’ll realize how much you’ve been fussing over nothing.

4.Be true to yourself

Follow your own sense of purpose and love yourself (even your flaws). And you can still keep adopting positive habits, for instance, if you have been trying to become fitter or to stop smoking. Start that venture you’ve been meaning to start and don’t be afraid of losing.

5.Experience life in the here and now

Sometimes it may feel like you are driving in the dark, with no brakes or lights. But one of the most beautiful things about life is its unpredictability. I’ve had to learn that early in life. In that darkness, you never know what person, place or moment you may encounter with each turn. Be open-minded and welcome that darkness because even if the ride is bumpy, it’s still ok because you are still moving forward.

6.Realize you can be happy now

Many people think they will only be happy when they become wealthy, have the perfect partner, or the successful career. But they may make millions and still have anxiety. They may find “the one” and still feel depressed. The only one capable of making you happy is you. Don’t sabotage your own happiness by imposing conditions on it.

Kindly share this post if you found it useful
follow on twitter: @insidifyhq

Read the concluding part of this on https://discovery.insidify.com/9-reasons-you-dont-need-to-pursue-happiness-in-this-day-and-age

Re: Reasons You Don't Need To Pursue Happiness In This Day And Age by zazawaga(m): 12:10pm On May 16, 2017
Please lalasticlala, mynd44 , Dominique push this to the promise land

(1) (Reply)

If You Hate Cleaning We Love It / How Can I Get Sponsors For My New Radio Program / Live Your Dream Life Through These Passive Income Opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.