Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day (11987 Views)

A Trip To Akwa Ibom: Lugard Colonial Office, Slaves Prison, Bridge Of No Return / Uber Drivers May Go On Strike In Lagos On Monday Over VIO Clampdown / Four Boys Driving Recklessly, Survive A Freak Accident In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by MOSTEC(m): 4:58pm On May 16, 2017
TrapQueen77:
grin

Chaaaii . If i fit reach Lagos, i juz walk around with my agege bread sha... grin tongue

you are just too fake for my likeness.
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by shumuel(m): 5:01pm On May 16, 2017
Opinionated:
Lagos offers a unique charm with diverse sites, bustling districts and an eclectic blend of modern conveniences surrounded by local traditions. As such, the standard of living is relatively high and inhabitants are forced to cough out a lot of cash for basic expenditures.

Seeing as the city is considered one the most expensive in the country, most low-budget travelers tend to stay away. However, Jumia Travel, Africa’s No. 1 online hotel booking portal has tips on how to survive a trip to Lagos on less than $10 (NGN 4,000) a day.

Choose location wisely

While Lagos is expensive, there are areas within the city that are affordable as regards hotels, transportation and shopping. Find out those low-brow areas and plan your trip around there. No matter how distant the location might be from the tourist sites you may want to visit or the business program you are attending is, you can always find a way around as long as you drat a plan. Also, a number of hostels, inns and even hotels in these areas are relatively cheap and below the average Lagos price range. Some of these areas include Epe, Festac etc.

Have a plan for expenses

A traveler to Lagos can achieve much and still survive under $10 a day. Create a schedule that organizes you expenses, from feeding to transportation and even shopping, as that is the easiest way to curb excessive spending and remain within budget. A plan ensures that you know how much you need to spend, where and how. Note that it is important you keep your plan feasible and realistic and most of all stick to it.

Alternative housing options

Aside from hotels and inns, there are other housing options. You can decide to camp in a certain free zone or location if you are adventurous, stay with a friend or even a hospitable local family , or you can request for accommodation from churches, religious centers or NGOs who have programs that allow for free accommodation. Whichever option you chose, you end up cutting out the expenses that come with housing and you just have $10 for feeding and transportation basically per day.

Live on Street food

There is an abundance of street food around Lagos. From fried yam, plantain and potatoes to puff-puff, roasted yam and other delicacies, there is a wide range of choices for the traveler and the good thing is that these choices are not just very filling but are very affordable. Living on street food does not deprive you of balanced meal as there are enough choices to constitute a healthy meal on a very low budget.

Use Public Transportation

Stay away from taxi cabs or transport charters. Stick with the Danfo buses, keke-na-peps and Moluwes. They are not only affordable, but they will also give you an opportunity to experience the city in unique ways that will leave lasting fond memories.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/survive-trip-lagos-less-10-day/
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by shumuel(m): 5:08pm On May 16, 2017
Opinionated:
Lagos offers a unique charm with diverse sites, bustling districts and an eclectic blend of modern conveniences surrounded by local traditions. As such, the standard of living is relatively high and inhabitants are forced to cough out a lot of cash for basic expenditures.

Seeing as the city is considered one the most expensive in the country, most low-budget travelers tend to stay away. However, Jumia Travel, Africa’s No. 1 online hotel booking portal has tips on how to survive a trip to Lagos on less than $10 (NGN 4,000) a day.

Choose location wisely

While Lagos is expensive, there are areas within the city that are affordable as regards hotels, transportation and shopping. Find out those low-brow areas and plan your trip around there. No matter how distant the location might be from the tourist sites you may want to visit or the business program you are attending is, you can always find a way around as long as you drat a plan. Also, a number of hostels, inns and even hotels in these areas are relatively cheap and below the average Lagos price range. Some of these areas include Epe, Festac etc.

Have a plan for expenses

A traveler to Lagos can achieve much and still survive under $10 a day. Create a schedule that organizes you expenses, from feeding to transportation and even shopping, as that is the easiest way to curb excessive spending and remain within budget. A plan ensures that you know how much you need to spend, where and how. Note that it is important you keep your plan feasible and realistic and most of all stick to it.

Alternative housing options

Aside from hotels and inns, there are other housing options. You can decide to camp in a certain free zone or location if you are adventurous, stay with a friend or even a hospitable local family , or you can request for accommodation from churches, religious centers or NGOs who have programs that allow for free accommodation. Whichever option you chose, you end up cutting out the expenses that come with housing and you just have $10 for feeding and transportation basically per day.

Live on Street food

There is an abundance of street food around Lagos. From fried yam, plantain and potatoes to puff-puff, roasted yam and other delicacies, there is a wide range of choices for the traveler and the good thing is that these choices are not just very filling but are very affordable. Living on street food does not deprive you of balanced meal as there are enough choices to constitute a healthy meal on a very low budget.

Use Public Transportation

Stay away from taxi cabs or transport charters. Stick with the Danfo buses, keke-na-peps and Moluwes. They are not only affordable, but they will also give you an opportunity to experience the city in unique ways that will leave lasting fond memories.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/survive-trip-lagos-less-10-day/

Op 10$ (N4000) a day is too much o, except you plan to move around a lot, in Lagos all you need is N500-N1000K for transport and about N200 for indomie & egg or Rice and bean in the morning and N1000K for suya/Shawarma/Bread,drink(Fanta e.t.c),beans or Akara/ peper soup and Orijin/Amala &soup/e.t.c at night and you are done, change must remain grin wink
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by kayo80(m): 5:25pm On May 16, 2017
hahn:
Why $?

undecided

This post is not for you and I but for foreigners on Google searching "How to Survive with Less than $10 in Nigeria. "

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by kayo80(m): 5:26pm On May 16, 2017
RaeMystix:
N4000 per day is a bit small though. angry

Exactly! Unless you already have a place to stay and you ain't paying for it.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by kayo80(m): 5:29pm On May 16, 2017
SmartMugu:

I bow oh.
OP must have been lost around how things work in Nigeria - probably one of ours recently deported from Libya. He's even talking in $$$.
Obviously Lagos is strange to him.
The Lagos I know, boys survive with nothing in their pocket. That makes them stronger anywhere in the world they eventually find themselves.
Even in the US, some Americans don't even have $1 to spend per day.
$10 per day bawo, is he a learner? $10 per day in Nigeria = around N3800 at the current exchange rate.

Explore stuff like mama put lifestyle if that's beyond your budget for the day. If na to form level, free the girls wey go make u spend beyond your budget, prettier ones are always available for a cheaper maintenance cost within your budget.

$10 per day bawo? Abeg who move this kind yeye topic come FP without my permission? grin

It is not for Nigerians but for foreigners coming into Lagos. I think $10 is even too small. Where will you find 3k hotel in Lagos right now? And when you factor in transportation and food, you will be spending like 7k a day.
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by RaeMystix: 5:44pm On May 16, 2017
kayo80:

Exactly! Unless you already have a place to stay and you ain't paying for it.
Well. It goes either way. If you have a home rent free or not

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by larrypourl(m): 5:47pm On May 16, 2017
InvertedHammer:

[[

Cut your nail!

]]

Noted grin but love them like that
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Worksunlimited: 5:59pm On May 16, 2017
bkool7:
with 4k /day I Will not just survive . I Will be balling

No be lie...

If I budget #350 per meal (3meals per day) = #1050

Enter roadside bar for nyt.. Arrange 1 cold big bottle of orijin = #350

Buy #500 suya blend am = #500

Total expense = #1900

Change = #2100

If I save #1500 per day of the #2100, by the end of the week I go amass #10,500...

By the end of the month - #42,000... Cool cash...
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by bkool7(m): 6:08pm On May 16, 2017
Worksunlimited:

No be lie...

Total expense = #1900

Change = #2100

If I save #1500 per day of the #2100, by the end of the week I go amass #10,500...

Just imagine if you can also try and manage to save the money for origin and suya ....at least to having them once a week ...more cash
because you friend can corner you there and that's more expenses

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Worksunlimited: 6:11pm On May 16, 2017
bkool7:

Just imagine if you can also try and manage to save the money for origin and suya ....at least to having them once a week ...more cash
because you friend can corner you there and that's more expenses

Very true...

You are right about the friends part.. It's like a norm now.... Dem no go come when you never buy the beer buh dem sabe land as you wan begin take your first sip....
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by SmartMugu: 6:54pm On May 16, 2017
kayo80:

It is not for Nigerians but for foreigners coming into Lagos. I think $10 is even too small. Where will you find 3k hotel in Lagos right now? And when you factor in transportation and food, you will be spending like 7k a day.
Yeah you're right if you're talking about foreigners.
Sharp Lagos boys go everly figure out where to sleep and eat with nothing in their pockets. Not on begger level o. I bow for for some boys men.
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by centboy123456(m): 7:32pm On May 16, 2017
NwaObinkita:
angry 4000 a day cha.

OP you are wrong and obviously a learner. With ordinary 900 you go flex life tire for Lagos
Shaki=50 Rice=100 Ewa=50 Pure Water=10 Dorchester=15
Short Time=500
Total=725

short time am not understanding oh

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by centboy123456(m): 7:37pm On May 16, 2017
chiefobdk:
men dey survive wit 200 naira. dis op come dey yarn 4k. op u well so?

hahahahahah dis on got me lol and u are right dey was a time in lagos wen I survie wit just 200 naria I eat by 2 still d next day na beans and beard sure pass oh 5 beans 100 beard u are gud to go for that na only water u just need
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by hahn(m): 8:23pm On May 16, 2017
kayo80:

This post is not for you and I but for foreigners on Google searching "How to Survive with Less than $10 in Nigeria. "

But 4k na big money daily na undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by JeffreyJames(m): 9:19pm On May 16, 2017
Worksunlimited:

No be lie...

Total expense = #1900

Change = #2100

Bros use that your 350 buy roasted yam and pomo, you no go chop that day again....trust me grin......that thing dey full belle ehn grin

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by JeffreyJames(m): 9:21pm On May 16, 2017
Worksunlimited:

Very true...

You are right about the friends part.. It's like a norm now.... Dem no go come when you never buy the beer buh dem sabe land as you wan begin take your first sip....

NA you wey wan buy for them na..lol....me no dey send anybody o,if you drink beer use your money buy am!
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by stealthtiger(m): 12:13am On May 17, 2017
Lol.. 4k a day. I'd be cruising na.
For unilag con see how boys take dey manage.

Guys use 5k for 7 days.

I have a friend whose daily menu is like this:

Break fast by 11am: beans and bread. If he's happy he'd buy egg join am. Plus 3 pure water.
(240naira)

Extra pure water: 40 naira ( for the scorching sun)

This food go reach am till 9pm.

Dinner 9pm: buy 1 fibre biscuit ( suprisingly the biscuit satisfies) with 2 pure water (70naira)

Total: 350 naira per day

For 10days that 3500.

Men dey manage. No go talk day kin ton again o.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Nobody: 5:45am On May 17, 2017
stealthtiger:
Lol.. 4k a day. I'd be cruising na.
For unilag con see how boys take dey manage.

Guys use 5k for 7 days.

I have a friend whose daily menu is like this:

Break fast by 11am: beans and bread. If he's happy he'd buy egg join am. Plus 3 pure water.
(240naira)

Extra pure water: 40 naira ( for the scorching sun)

This food go reach am till 9pm.

Dinner 9pm: buy 1 fibre biscuit ( suprisingly the biscuit satisfies) with 2 pure water (70naira)

Total: 350 naira per day

For 10days that 3500.

Men dey manage. No go talk day kin ton again o.

Your friend is heading for success with his resilience and management skills but his dinner got me rolling over cheesy I bin dey wonder why pipo dey eat dat Fibre biscuit, especially young boys, no wonder
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by DisGuy: 10:33am On May 17, 2017
You can decide to camp in a certain free zone

what sort of tip is this? certain free zone?
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by DisGuy: 10:35am On May 17, 2017
Worksunlimited:

No be lie...

Total expense = #1900

Change = #2100

accommodation nko? Abi u wan sleep for hospital/station cheesy
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 17, 2017
SafeDavid:
Welcome to Nigeria. wink

#OlodoUnited.

Knew your name will be among the nl scammers.

https://www.nairaland.com/3430558/scam-alert-dont-victim-update

(1) (2) (Reply)

Firstnation Reacts To Suspension By Nigerian Aviation Authorities / Bad Road: Abia Communities Protest Against Coys, Give December Ultimatum / MMIA Road Construction: FAAN Advises Passengers To Get To The Airport Early

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.