Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,776 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Installing Win Xp - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Installing Win Xp (1252 Views)

Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive / Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Installing Win Xp by jesuseun1(m): 6:04am On Jan 29, 2007
can I install window xp on 6.5gb HARDDISK and 64mb ram,i NEED your advice pls.thanks
Re: Installing Win Xp by Alexos(m): 10:38am On Jan 29, 2007
YES YOU CAN, but thats too small, you need something higher for more funtionality
Re: Installing Win Xp by patorini(m): 11:54am On Jan 30, 2007
your xp installation would literally be crawling

just get more ram.
Re: Installing Win Xp by bug24(m): 3:59pm On Jan 30, 2007
By the time u finish installing ur XP, u will wish u never had a computer.
64mb ram is the least for xp and its very small for ur system. XP takes about 1Gb of ur hard drive now u are left with abt 4Gb to work.
u know what? get a spade, go to ur backyard, dig, dig, digg and put the system in there. maybe it'll upgrade itself in thre after some years. be kool.
Re: Installing Win Xp by anusule(m): 6:31pm On Jan 30, 2007
han han boy! haba. u wan kill d xp. putn it in a tight room and suffocating it.
Re: Installing Win Xp by sbucareer(f): 12:02pm On Jan 31, 2007

Just technical information.

DOS (XP) 10.2 need at least 16MB to load all the kernels, it needs at least 640KB (Conventional Memory) to load the special applications and system commands. I know with your configuration, your graphics card will be embedded in your system board, hence requiring more memory from your RAM, at least 4MB. Your mouse and keyboard need some memory, let say 1.44MB. Sound card if you have one would need memory.

In nutshell, let say you need minimum of 40MB. Remember your partition table (FAT/FAT32/NTFS) would need memory for the partition table on load time. DMA (Direct Access Memory) would need a table to communicate with the CPU.

This is how it works. Every peripheral within and outside you computer must have a name. There name is address (00000h to 9FFFFh.) mapped to a lookup table, the lookup table is mapped to another table that hold the reference to an I/O interrupt (Input/Output) that is how the CPU talks to all these devices and it needs memory to create their addresses. That is why you cannot run window from a CD-ROM.

If you are left with 24MB of memory, when you open internet explorer and adobe reader at the same time you will run out of RAM and your computer will simply crash because it has ran out of space.

I don't know the price in Nigeria but 256MB here in London is £10, at least 60GB HD would get you going. Budget around =N=5K

Re: Installing Win Xp by bug24(m): 1:42pm On Feb 08, 2007
I will suggest that he doesnt upgrade the system at all. a new one will be better.cos he is soon gonna outrun the upgraded parts soon. other things on the system will be crying for upgrade very soon.
Re: Installing Win Xp by sbucareer(f): 8:10pm On Feb 08, 2007

If money wasn't the issue here, these are my recommendations for serious gamer

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 or Intel motherboards This board comes with SLI for dual/quad graphics card application

CPU's, you can go for Intel or [url=http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9488,00.html]AMD[/url]

If you are really a gamer, go for AMD motherboards and CPU.

For Graphics cards, go for Nvida XFX GeForce 7950GT Video Card or pick from this [url=http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php?page_id=5&form_keyword=XFX%20GeForce%207950%20GT&mode=about_peripherals&rd=1]Nvida list[/url], make sure the ones you pick are SLI ready.

The motherboards above come with Serial ATA, ATA that interfaces with IDE are quickly fading out. Although there has been arguments with the amount of speed SATA can read/Write. Manufacturer boost of 3.0GB p/s and some say it is not up to that. Whatever the speed is it is lager that ATA IDE that read and write at 133MB p/s. Also buy DVD, CD-ROM with SATA, same speed.

Go for DDR2 memories and buy the same make. Don't buy different makes, although it would work fine but gamers you'd need the same make for thoroughoutput to your speed.

Make sure you buy monitor with [url=http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=define%3A+TFT]TFT[/url] technology  that can draw up to 2560 x 1600 resolution

Make sure you are running a 64 bits motherboard and CPU. Download and buy games written for 64 bits application. Run window Vista 64 bits RTM with latest directX 10 that is 64 bit compatible.

Finally, for gamers run a watercooled case like this ones

(1) (Reply)

Ccna Dums / How Can I Install Spss 10 On My Pc / Usa Ip Address+ Fast Web Surfing Software+compression(all-in-one)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.