Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:43 AM

5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing (5587 Views)

Factors Bloggers Should Understand To Improve Blog Traffic. / 5 Things Bloggers Should Understand About Ad Networks / 4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:26am On May 17, 2017
Blogging is basically meant to be a platform that lets people express themselves and write posts in a style that it unique to them. It provides a platform to let more people know what you think about a particular topic or an event. I've compared a lot of foreign blogs to the ones we have here in Nigeria and I must say that 80% of Nigerian blogs shouldn't be existing at all. Anyone who just has a domain and access to a computer or smartphone now have the effrontery to address themselves as bloggers. Here are some things that I think every Nigerian blogger should stop doing : -

1. Posting False News Reports

The entertainment bloggers are always guilty of this. How will a farmer take his chickens to market in a bus and we end up seeing stories like - Passengers turn to fowl at Ketu Market. It's appalling. I'm a blogger and I understand that blogging is very competitive, especially when you're on the entertainment niche but if you must post news that you are not sure about make sure you let your readers know that the news story is unverified yet and tell them to check back later to see if you have verified the news. This leaves a mark of credibility on your blog. Bloggers should learn to differentiate themselves from journalists. Your blog is your Circus, your posts are your clowns, you decide what happens there. If you decide to loose readers because of false news stories, the ball is in your court. Bloggers that want to build a brand never compromise on the value of the content they let people read on their blog.
It's unfortunate that the bloggers in question allow money cloud their judgment and they're focused on only their Google AdSense earnings.

2. Getting Involved In Unnecessary Controversies

Controversies are essential in blogging but it has a certain limit. Let's take my blog for example, if you go through my blog you'll see some controversial topics like MMM being a scam, Android being better than iOS and more recently, Social Media Ruining the future. Now, these are topics that stir up conversations and a little controversy. I got bashed by a few people for each the 3 topics. The MMM post had over 100 comments and almost 80% were insults, but the fun part of it is that I still got away with my head on my shoulders. The essence of the example I just gave here is this - When you want to write a controversial topic or article, make sure it will not end up ruining the lives of others. If you decide to write a post that'll get you into trouble because you didn't have enough facts to backup your claims, it's your ball game. Get ready to enjoy the ride. I know many people who look up to Linda Ikeji. Yeah, I know she's got involved in a couple of controversies but most of them could have been well avoided. Be controversial but don't go off limits.

3. Making Posts That Are Not Readable

I believe that before anyone decides to start blogging, the person must have adequate knowledge of English language before writing a post. Quite a number of Nigerian blogs proudly show off tons of unreadable content to a ghost audience. I'm pretty sure nobody wastes his time to go through their blogs. Their blogs are an embarrassment to blogging. They can't even write one sentence without causing catastrophic reactions in the mind of anyone who tries to scan through their content. If I had my way, I'd request that the Queen of England ban them from typing a single word in English.

4. Posting Unnecessary Topics / Articles

There's a limit to the kind of posts readers should be seeing on blogs depending on the niche. The most abused verb that that Nigerian entertainment bloggers use in their headlines these days is "spotted". Let's take a look at MediaTakeOut and TMZ, these are two American Entertainment Blogs, there's a huge difference when you see "spotted" there and when you see it on a typical Nigerian Entertainment Blog. Pictures of most American celebrities are usually taken in secret by paparazzi and they end up becoming headlines, even the celeb in question will be shocked to see the picture online. In Nigeria, someone will post a picture on Instagram and bloggers will automatically start spotting. Unless there's something awkward you found in the picture, don't use the verb "spot". If the picture was taken without their notice then you can say you spotted the celeb with someone or doing something. Also some posts are not even worthy to be used as headlines.

5. Copying People's Content Without Linking back.

I know a couple of blogs that have been copying my posts but at least try to give me credit for this one. Mbok, Abeg, Biko.. I'll beg you in any language including Chinese. grin grin
Its quite unfortunate that a lot of Nigerian Bloggers just keep copying and pasting content from other people's blogs without even giving a simple link back to the original post. If CTRL+C never existed, many Nigerian bloggers will not exist. I think the plagiarism of other people's content is because there's no central body that's in charge of the affairs of blogging and online publishing in Nigeria. When you copy a post just try to give the original author credit for the past.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:27am On May 17, 2017

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by eezeribe(m): 6:51am On May 17, 2017
Nice post.most of these people are not even supposed to be called bloggers.some of them can't even make a simple correct sentence in English language and they are just too lazy.
Only a small percentage of them are really into blogging,the majority are just a crop of desperate young people trying to make a living.
Others see it as a get rich quick business,probably 'wrongly' inspired by the likes of Linda Ikeji,and do not care to know how long it took to get to that level and the amount of hard work required.
COPY AND PASTE IS ALL THEY DO,AND WHEN IT'S ORIGINAL,IT'S MOSTLY FAKE NEWS.

lalasticlala,Mynd44

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Damidave1124(m): 6:59am On May 17, 2017
As E dey hot, anything wey go fit drive traffic to their blog is highly welcome in Nigeria
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by cinoedhunter: 7:00am On May 17, 2017
Lol... like sey they go hear
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by FEROH: 7:00am On May 17, 2017
On point
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by ken19: 7:00am On May 17, 2017
that's the hustle....
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Hillarie(m): 7:00am On May 17, 2017
Land for Sale
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by veekid(m): 7:01am On May 17, 2017
If they should stop doing all these your mentions; they are no longer what they are called "blogger"
Lieing is their hobby
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by petkoffdrake2(m): 7:01am On May 17, 2017
If they don't do all these, then the ministry won't move... So OP, it's easier said than done. Meanwhile,

Check my signature
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by kevoh(m): 7:02am On May 17, 2017
80% ? OP, you are too generous. 95% is more like it.
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by goodlifehyd(m): 7:06am On May 17, 2017
grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Techpaded(f): 7:07am On May 17, 2017
True! some bloggers might just need to shut 'em blog
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Rick9(m): 7:09am On May 17, 2017
9ja bloggerx SMH
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Nobody: 7:10am On May 17, 2017
OP ironically these are among the things that brings traffic to blogs. It will be difficult for them to stop.
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Nobody: 7:11am On May 17, 2017
Let me read first
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Arewa12: 7:11am On May 17, 2017
True some blogger just post fake news everywhere
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Nobody: 7:15am On May 17, 2017
If NL can push just about any nonsense to FP , who am i not to post anything just to get traffic?
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by ednut1(m): 7:16am On May 17, 2017
Most of them are just linda wannabes.
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by samsam4real: 7:19am On May 17, 2017
eezeribe:
Nice post.most of these people are not even supposed to be called bloggers.some of them can't even make a simple correct sentence in English language and they are just too lazy.
Only a small percentage of them are really into blogging,the majority are just a crop of desperate young people trying to make a living.
Others see it as a get rich quick business,probably 'wrongly' inspired by the likes of Linda Ikeji,and do not care to know how long it took to get to that level and the amount of hard work required.

lalasticlala,Mynd44

No one is wrongly inspired by Linda Ikeji, if you read her story u will understand that Linda Ikeji is the ambassador of blogging in Nigeria. She started blogging when very few people knew about it in Nigeria and at then no one hard interest in it. She was doing with passion and not for the love of money, it took her more than 3years b4 she started earning from her blog...young bloggers will continue to look up to her
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by BrutalJab: 7:35am On May 17, 2017
98% of Nigerian bloggers are lazy and too dull. √
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Nobody: 7:36am On May 17, 2017
No 1 and No 5 ehn, it's so annoying! undecided

1 Share

Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Suko110(m): 7:39am On May 17, 2017
Very important, u can't surf d net without sm bastards directing u to some foolish shit
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Nobody: 7:41am On May 17, 2017
frankwells:
Nigerian bloggers can do anything for traffic

You forgot to add "Some" , not all

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by sunnysunny69(m): 7:45am On May 17, 2017
All copy and paste, nairaland is of different style.
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by Nobody: 7:47am On May 17, 2017
BrutalJab:
98% of Nigerian bloggers are lazy and too dull. √

Na Statistics you study for school? cheesy
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by rheether(f): 8:10am On May 17, 2017
sirjude82:
We did it yesterday and we are doing it again, today call now to subscribe.

Thief..

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing by ThisTrend(f): 8:27am On May 17, 2017
Yea... This is the post... Its just is. Credit: Naijatechguy

(1) (2) (Reply)

39 Winning Ways Ideas To Become A Pro Blogger And Freelancer / I Can't Log Into My Cpanel. / The A B C Of On-Page Seo - Vocalwalls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.