Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives (1891 Views)

*Objects Of Fiction, Imaginary Things Atheists Believe In* Since They Reject God / Things Atheists, Especially Those Who Debate,can Relate To.(pics) / Why Nigerian Atheists Should Go To Church (for atheists only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by hahn(m): 2:07pm On May 18, 2017
[quote author=proudafrogal post=56642595][/quote]

I am a psycho and a weird individual myself tongue
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by ilynem(m): 2:20pm On May 18, 2017
Born2Freak:
It is easy to criticize religion and defeat religious arguments but it is another thing to create a change. Our country Nigeria needs change. Talking on nairaland is one thing but making progress in real life is another.

1) Self-improvement and leading by examples.
There is no better way to show people your core beliefs other than leading by example. If you are successful and hardworking, people will emulate you. No one listens to a poor preacher. No one cares if you're an atheist in Nigeria if you're successful. When Mark Zuckerberg came to Nigeria, no one cared that he once put "atheist" as his belief on facebook- Nigerians just wanted to talk and take selfies with him.

2) Networking with other atheists
I have met some other atheists off nairaland and I am glad that I did. Not only do you get to make friends that are on your side, there are business opportunities as well. Also, marriage opportunities, if you are looking for a partner with similar beliefs.

3) Joining foreign (European and American) Humanist/skeptic/atheist groups
One has to think globally nowadays. I hosted a german guy in Nigeria during last christmas. We met on a humanist forum and he was coming to Nigeria but didnt have much contacts in Nigeria. And now, i have a friend to visit anytime i'm in Germany. It is important to make global connections because you never know where life can take you. PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR YAHOO MAGA 419. Although foreign currency is powerful nowadays.

4) Getting your views out on other Nigerian media
I once heard someone criticising religion on 96.9 cool FM when listening to the radio. The guy called cool FM and blasted Nigerian pastors as he was angry that a woman died because she went to a church instead of a hospital. The guy caller stated that he does not follow any religion and also blasted the radio host for trying to mock his disbelief. Now, thousands of Nigerians would have heard the guy's complaint on the radio and agree with his logic. You never know who is listening to you. Radio and twitter are great mediums in which one can be protected by anonymity and still reach millions of people.

5) Engaging in NGOs and charities.
Last year, I joined a charity that was working with village children and giving them some education. I got to advice the older youths about watching out for themselves and protecting themselves from slave labour, STDs and superstitious nonsense. One can make little changes in people's lives through charities.

The irony of your post is that Christianity encourages all these. Except the "joining atheist groups" thingy which is equivalent to joining a church!
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by MrMystrO(m): 2:43pm On May 18, 2017
Nice, Although I am a deist, I See sense in your post. But don't you think you would then Run the risk of converting this To a religion, You might find your self building exactly the same thing you've been advocating against.
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by CoolUsername: 3:25pm On May 18, 2017
MrMystrO:
Nice, Although I am a deist, I See sense in your post. But don't you think you would then Run the risk of converting this To a religion, You might find your self building exactly the same thing you've been advocating against.

ilynem:
The irony of your post is that Christianity encourages all these. Except the "joining atheist groups" thingy which is equivalent to joining a church!

Okay, to everyone who thinks that every form of association with like-minded individuals is the same thing as forming a religion. You are mistaken.

The FFRF is an American organization that represent the religiously unaffiliated in legal cases of abuse of religious privilege. We do not have a strong institution like this in Nigeria...yet.

So, what is wrong in a grassroots social club of religiously unaffiliated people like you and me that would help us network, interact, and exchange advice with one another? Even more importantly, what's religious about developing a network to help persecuted freethinkers who are in need? Not every social group has to be religious and I highly doubt that online networking would devolve us into some sort of dogmatic cult.
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by ilynem(m): 5:27pm On May 18, 2017
CoolUsername:

Okay, to everyone who thinks that every form of association with like-minded individuals is the same thing as forming a religion. You are mistaken.

The FFRF is an American organization that represent the religiously unaffiliated in legal cases of abuse of religious privilege. We do not have a strong institution like this in Nigeria...yet.

So, what is wrong in a grassroots social club of religiously unaffiliated people like you and me that would help us network, interact, and exchange advice with one another? Even more importantly, what's religious about developing a network to help persecuted freethinkers who are in need? Not every social group has to be religious and I highly doubt that online networking would devolve us into some sort of dogmatic cult.
I get your point. Not all associations are religious. But reading through that list, that is something I should be doing as a Christian. As for the association part, we have out own. We call it a church. So my question is, what makes atheism different?
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by CoolUsername: 5:32pm On May 18, 2017
ilynem:

I get your point. Not all associations are religious. But reading through that list, that is something I should be doing as a Christian. As for the association part, we have out own. We call it a church. So my question is, what makes atheism different?

The fact that we don't have a set beliefs that we all accept as true. Churches are for worship. An association is solely for networking.
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by emmayayodeji(m): 5:38pm On May 18, 2017
hahn:

This should be the perfect challenge Malvis. Can you fast and pray for a month and come back here and let us see if you will be able to compose a simple sentence without copy and paste and become better at punctuating your sentences?

This is your opportunity to prove us wrong and show the world that prayers work cheesy
intelligent!
After all nothing is impossible for god to do

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by ilynem(m): 5:51pm On May 18, 2017
CoolUsername:

The fact that we don't have a set beliefs that we all accept as true. Churches are for worship. An association is solely for networking.
So you are just a bunch if confused lads trying to find closure? Oh Good. And oh! The church is not the building. The church is the people in the building. Just so you know.
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by Born2Freak(f): 7:50pm On May 18, 2017
ilynem:

Every group of like minded individuals should encourage such. Christianity is one group amongst many.
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by oyonu(m): 9:47am On May 19, 2017
Born2Freak:

Seriously dropping. i just found out that wednesdays in DELSU (a state university) is a day for praise and worship. Lectures end by 12 or so on that day. A state owned university

I don't think so. I think Wednesday afternoon is for social activities
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by spacyzuma(m): 12:19pm On May 19, 2017
hahn:

Hahaha. I remember once during one show on 93.7 with Stephen with the ph, he said something about "what would god do?" when someone was talking about her cheating spouse and I called and said, "why will you use god as an example knowing fully well that he murdered and killed lots of people in the bible" also stating that god is not the right role model to use for such a situation unless he was expecting the woman to burn up her cheating husband since god created hell to burn people who didn't love him. ANd so on and so forth. Lol

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nice one!!! +1
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 19, 2017
Born2Freak:
It is easy to criticize religion and defeat religious arguments but it is another thing to create a change. Our country Nigeria needs change. Talking on nairaland is one thing but making progress in real life is another.

1) Self-improvement and leading by examples.
There is no better way to show people your core beliefs other than leading by example. If you are successful and hardworking, people will emulate you. No one listens to a poor preacher. No one cares if you're an atheist in Nigeria if you're successful. When Mark Zuckerberg came to Nigeria, no one cared that he once put "atheist" as his belief on facebook- Nigerians just wanted to talk and take selfies with him.

2) Networking with other atheists
I have met some other atheists off nairaland and I am glad that I did. Not only do you get to make friends that are on your side, there are business opportunities as well. Also, marriage opportunities, if you are looking for a partner with similar beliefs.

3) Joining foreign (European and American) Humanist/skeptic/atheist groups
One has to think globally nowadays. I hosted a german guy in Nigeria during last christmas. We met on a humanist forum and he was coming to Nigeria but didnt have much contacts in Nigeria. And now, i have a friend to visit anytime i'm in Germany. It is important to make global connections because you never know where life can take you. PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR YAHOO MAGA 419. Although foreign currency is powerful nowadays.

4) Getting your views out on other Nigerian media
I once heard someone criticising religion on 96.9 cool FM when listening to the radio. The guy called cool FM and blasted Nigerian pastors as he was angry that a woman died because she went to a church instead of a hospital. The guy caller stated that he does not follow any religion and also blasted the radio host for trying to mock his disbelief. Now, thousands of Nigerians would have heard the guy's complaint on the radio and agree with his logic. You never know who is listening to you. Radio and twitter are great mediums in which one can be protected by anonymity and still reach millions of people.

5) Engaging in NGOs and charities.
Last year, I joined a charity that was working with village children and giving them some education. I got to advice the older youths about watching out for themselves and protecting themselves from slave labour, STDs and superstitious nonsense. One can make little changes in people's lives through charities.

Anty, but u are not practicing what u are preaching, why haven't u joined the thinkers lodge whatsapp group for networking? angry
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by hahn(m): 1:06pm On May 19, 2017
Born2freak, you are yet to join the group

Practice what you preach
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by Born2Freak(f): 3:18pm On May 19, 2017
hahn:
Born2freak, you are yet to join the group

Practice what you preach

grin grin grin

You sef
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by Born2Freak(f): 3:18pm On May 19, 2017
Jackofall:

Anty, but u are not practicing what u are preaching, why haven't u joined the thinkers lodge whatsapp group for networking? angry
grin grin
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by OgundeleT(m): 4:53pm On May 19, 2017
malvisguy212:
lies, in my place, many people are. converting to Christianity, many atheists I know including Muslims. just day before yesterday, an evil spirit attack my friend, around 12am, he want out to pee, and he just fall on the ground, the evil spirit make it looks like a simple fall, but he was injure ,very bad injury, they take him to the hospital ( 44 hospital, Nigeria army) normally, hospital and barrack are using the same electricity light, but that night, only the hospital light off, the soldiers on guide on the generator, ( a brand new generator they bought from Germany) but the generator refuse to on, with fervant prayer the generator on, but still the light is
blinking , the roof they just renorvet remove. by his grace we defect the demon. this manifestation of the power of God, many atheists and Muslims give their life to Christ.

you atheists are living spirituality with the SAME dimension with demons, this demons don't want you to believe they exist, they want you to stay in the dark world. I tell you the truth, God exist and Jesus has made Him know to us. I know, many atheists will not believe me, I am telling you the truth, I am a Christian , lying is a sin.
akika. you see evil spirit? you are a perpetual liar
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by CoolUsername: 5:46pm On May 20, 2017
ilynem:

So you are just a bunch if confused lads trying to find closure? Oh Good. And oh! The church is not the building. The church is the people in the building. Just so you know.

I shouldn't have wasted my time engaging you.
Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by CoolUsername: 5:46pm On May 20, 2017
ilynem:

Re: 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives by ilynem(m): 6:14pm On May 20, 2017
CoolUsername:

Oh good.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Piraha Tribesmen And Jesus / Why Will Satan Torture People In Hell For Disobeying The Same God He Disobeyed? / Truth About Religions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.