Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,909 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Cooking Samosas - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooking Samosas (5260 Views)

What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? / Nigerian Man Wins Cooking Award In The US, Hosted On Good Morning America.Photos / 10 Pictures Of Cooking Gone Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 8:56am On May 18, 2017
When preparing everything from scratch smiley

1. Make the dough - salt, water and wheat flour. Let it rest while covered for at least 30 mins to make it easy to work with.

2. Prepare the minced meat that will be used. Fry with onions, parsley and any other spices of your choice. Don't add water.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 9:11am On May 18, 2017
The next step is preparing the dough into usable flat and thin spread outs that will be cut and folded to deep fry without them developing bubblesor opening up an pouring out the meat while deep frying.

3. Make small balls of the dough with your hands by palm rolling them.

4. Roll them out into circular forms

3. Heat them on a dry frying pan on low heat. This is not to cook them, but just a step in the preparation. We will be rolling them thinner after this is just to enable thinner rolling and keep them from sticking to each other.

(I overheated mine so they became harder and I had to use to much force rolling them out a second time. So remove them from heat as soon as they get a pale colour to avoid hardening.)

cool

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 9:17am On May 18, 2017
6. Rolling. Take three at a time (they were a small size as I expected them to be larger after the second, thinner rolling.) Spread them out together as far as possible, you can keep separating them to check if they have thinned out to their limits.

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 9:18am On May 18, 2017
To be continued ... grin
Re: Cooking Samosas by africanpea: 10:01am On May 18, 2017
Pls continue, I'm interested.
Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 18, 2017
africanpea:
Pls continue, I'm interested.
Am glad cheesy

7. After making the flat dough, next, cut the round dough into halve. We will be using one of the half for one samosa. The size may vary according to ones liking..

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 1:34pm On May 18, 2017
8. Make a thick paste with wheat flour and water only that will glue the folds and seal them up. Apply the paste up to one half of the cut side.

9. Fold the half into a cone, with the later side falling over the outer part of the cone ...

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 18, 2017
10. Scoop the meat with a spoon and put a portion into the folded cone.

11. Seal the top by folding one side in and using the paste to glue the other side over it.

12. Let them rest for some minutes as the joints get sealed. This is to avoid them flying open in and pouring their contents in the oil

1 Like

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 18, 2017
13. And finally, deep fry. I did so after about an hour of letting them rest. cool

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Samosas by gbbec: 4:40pm On May 18, 2017
Chei! Thank God for technology ooooo! Eatery been dey chop my money seriously those days..., This snack dey make sense together with shawama, chicken and Chips........ And something rolls..... I don forget that one name self!
grin

Op thank you, pls upload more, eatery I don wise up

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Samosas by africanpea: 9:32pm On May 18, 2017
I'll definitely try this method, I usually do another method of getting my samosa sheets. Nice one, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 12:17am On May 19, 2017
That was amazing! It's a process...
I absolutely love the Indian samosas (potatoes & green peas) with a mint sauce to dip them in.
I wonder could you bake them instead of deep-frying them...to make them healthier?

1 Like

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 3:02am On May 19, 2017
africanpea:
I'll definitely try this method, I usually do another method of getting my samosa sheets. Nice one, thank you.
Which method? I'd like to learn alternatives, smiley
Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 3:05am On May 19, 2017
MZLady39:
That was amazing! It's a process...
I absolutely love the Indian samosas (potatoes & green peas) with a mint sauce to dip them in.
I wonder could you bake them instead of deep-frying them...to make them healthier?
It is,

Thats a vegetable Samosa. You can just put your ingredients of choice inside.

I haven't tried baking. I suspect it would work though.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 3:11am On May 19, 2017
gbbec:
Chei! Thank God for technology ooooo! Eatery been dey chop my money seriously those days..., This snack dey make sense together with shawama, chicken and Chips........ And something rolls..... I don forget that one name self!
grin

Op thank you, pls upload more, eatery I don wise up

grin grin

Sounds like a good combination
Re: Cooking Samosas by aydelicious: 3:48pm On May 19, 2017
This is the pastry one,I'm sorry you should not be using the pastry one because the pastry one ,it won't bring the real taste of the samosa.
Okay?
Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 3:56am On May 20, 2017
aydelicious:
This is the pastry one,I'm sorry you should not be using the pastry one because the pastry one ,it won't bring the real taste of the samosa.
Okay?
Okay, smiley

Which is the other method?
Re: Cooking Samosas by MtuMsuper: 9:09pm On May 20, 2017
very impressive. I have flopped terribly on the dough preparing part too many times to mention. Which oil is best for frying samosas?
Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 4:10am On May 21, 2017
MtuMsuper:
very impressive. I have flopped terribly on the dough preparing part too many times to mention. Which oil is best for frying samosas?
A bit time and energy consuming though.

I think any liquid oil will do. I used Elianto, which doesn't harden up.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Samosas by jstbeinhonest(m): 1:47pm On May 29, 2017
Lalasticlala !

1 Like

Re: Cooking Samosas by africanpea: 5:54pm On Jun 04, 2017
I tried your recipe today for a client, it turned out nice. I added 85grams of corn flour and spices(thyme, seasoning, garlic powder, ginger powder and salt).

1 Like

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 4:47am On Jun 05, 2017
africanpea:
I tried your recipe today for a client, it turned out nice. I added 85grams of corn flour and spices(thyme, seasoning, garlic powder, ginger powder and salt).
I like you finishing at the edges! They look tasty cheesy

Did you add corn flour to make them more crunchy?
Re: Cooking Samosas by africanpea: 5:15am On Jun 05, 2017
Muafrika2:

I like you finishing at the edges! They look tasty cheesy

Did you add corn flour to make them more crunchy?

Yes, the cornflour makes it crispy. Rolling out the dough with this recipe is a lot easier. And I noticed it's best to roll out while dough is still warm.

I used to use pastry brush and brush in a watery dough over a light non stick pan to get my samosa sheets. It was time consuming.
Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 5:25am On Jun 05, 2017
africanpea:

Yes, the cornflour makes it crispy. Rolling out the dough with this recipe is a lot easier. And I noticed it's best to roll out while dough is still warm.

I used to use pastry brush and brush in a watery dough over a light non stick pan to get my samosa sheets. It was time consuming.
I'll try it your way with corn flour next time.

Yeah, that sounds time consuming.
Re: Cooking Samosas by olasaad(f): 7:29pm On Jun 09, 2017
Muafrika2:
The next step is preparing the dough into usable flat and thin spread outs that will be cut and folded to deep fry without them developing bubblesor opening up an pouring out the meat while deep frying.

3. Make small balls of the dough with your hands by palm rolling them.

4. Roll them out into circular forms

3. Heat them on a dry frying pan on low heat. This is not to cook them, but just a step in the preparation. We will be rolling them thinner after this is just to enable thinner rolling and keep them from sticking to each other.

(I overheated mine so they became harder and I had to use to much force rolling them out a second time. So remove them from heat as soon as they get a pale colour to avoid hardening.)

cool

are we going to dip fry the dough first or after kneading before feeling it.

Then my second question is that do we need to add Irish/sweet potato to the meat? As in like meat pie meat
Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jun 09, 2017
olasaad:

are we going to dip fry the dough first or after kneading before feeling it.

Then my second question is that do we need to add Irish/sweet potato to the meat? As in like meat pie meat
No, just slight heat so that they don't stick to each other when you roll them thiner

No need for potatoes, but no harm in adding them either,
Re: Cooking Samosas by olasaad(f): 9:21pm On Jun 09, 2017
Muafrika2:

No, just slight heat so that they don't stick to each other when you roll them thiner

No need for potatoes, but no harm in adding them either,

Thanks but this is what I don't get. Did you fried the dough before rolling it or after rolling. And you don't answer my second question concerning the Irish/sweet potato been added to the meat

Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 3:25am On Jun 10, 2017
olasaad:

Thanks but this is what I don't get. Did you fried the dough before rolling it or after rolling. And you don't answer my second question concerning the Irish/sweet potato been added to the meat
No. Don't fry. Maybe you are asking because they don't look white. Its just the colour of the wheat flour. I just made little balls using the raw dough with my palms.

You can add potato.
Re: Cooking Samosas by gbogboade(f): 8:36pm On Jul 08, 2017
Thanks
Re: Cooking Samosas by AAinEqGuinea: 2:44pm On Jul 09, 2017
Muafrika2:
13. And finally, deep fry. I did so after about an hour of letting them rest. cool

Looks good
Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 09, 2017
AAinEqGuinea:

Looks good
smiley
Re: Cooking Samosas by Nobody: 4:55am On Oct 20, 2017
I suspect this ravioli dough equipment can make Samosa dough too cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Barbie Doll and Handbag Cake / How Do I Make "puff-puff"? / Vanilla Extract And Vanilla Essence What’s The Difference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.