Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,377 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia (4080 Views)

Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant / Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies / Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 18, 2017
Emperor Menelik II

He was born in August 17, 1844 AD (Nehasa 12, 1836 in Ethiopian calendra). He was King of Shewa from 1866-89 and then Emperor of Ethiopia from 1889-1913.

He lead Ethiopia to victory against invading Italy at the battle of Adwa in the first Italo-Ethiopia war.

He was knowledgeable in many departments and fluently spoke Amharic, Oromo, Tigragn, English and French. He tried to modernize Ethiopia in many departments like establishing postal service, hotels, hospitals, railroad, secular school, electricity and telephone. He was the 1st black African to drive a car.

He is widely called "Emiye Menelik" in Ethiopia for his forgiving nature and his selfless deeds to the poor. He expanded Ethiopia's borders and pretty much restored Ethiopia's glory on par with the height of the Aksumite Empire, "one of the four most powerful kingdoms of the ancient world".

1 Like

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 18, 2017
More Pics

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 18, 2017
More extra pics

- The last pic is Menelik II with young Teferi Makonnen (the future emperor Haileselassie)

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by EmeeNaka: 7:08pm On May 18, 2017
I will visit Ethiopia in 2019. I like Ethiopian history

1 Like

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 18, 2017
EmeeNaka:
I will visit Ethiopia in 2019. I like Ethiopian history
Great smiley
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 18, 2017
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 11:11am On May 22, 2017
Last but not least pics

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 12:32am On May 28, 2017
Nice but I have to post this grin
‘I am not a Negro at all; I am a Caucasian,’ the Emperor Menelik told the West Indian pan-Africanist Benito Sylvain who had come to Addis Ababa to solicit the Emperor’s leadership in a society for the ‘Amelioration of the Negro Race.’ Haile Sellassie confirmed that view in a declaration to Chief H. O. Davis, a well-known Nigerian nationalist, stating that the Ethiopians did not regard themselves as Africans, but as ‘a mixed Hamito-Semitic people.'”
(See John H. Spencer, Ethiopia at Bay (19

1 Like

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 6:17am On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:
‘I am not a Negro at all; I am a Caucasian,’ the Emperor Menelik told the West Indian pan-Africanist Benito Sylvain who had come to Addis Ababa to solicit the Emperor’s leadership in a society for the ‘Amelioration of the Negro Race.’ Haile Sellassie confirmed that view in a declaration to Chief H. O. Davis, a well-known Nigerian nationalist, stating that the Ethiopians did not regard themselves as Africans, but as ‘a mixed Hamito-Semitic people.'”
Yeah, he said this, but I won't blame him, because all emperors of Ethiopia came to power with the claim that they were descendants of Queen of Sheba and King Solomon. Because of this, they didn't considered themselves to be black but rather Semite, even if they were more Cushite than Semite in reality. It was centuries old indoctrination by Egypt Coptic Churches that they weren't blacks but Semites that resulted for Menelik II and other emperors and general population that resulted for them to say they weren't black. We don't need to blame them.

In real truth, Ethiopians are black. Blacks are very diverse, so there is no one typical black look.
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 7:20am On May 28, 2017
Hati13:

Yeah, he said this, but I won't blame him, because all emperors of Abyssinia came to power with the claim that they were descendants of Queen of Sheba and King Solomon. Because of this, they didn't considered themselves to be black but rather Semite, even if they were more Cushite than Semite in reality. It was centuries old indoctrination by Egypt Coptic Churches that they weren't blacks but Semites that resulted for Menelik II and other emperors and general population that resulted for them to say they weren't black. We don't need to blame them.

In real truth, Ethiopians are black. Blacks are very diverse, so there is no one typical black look.
Yeah I know, I just alwaya found that quote funny grin. I didn't know Egyptian Coptic Church had a huge influence in Ethiopia?
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:32am On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

Yeah I know, I just alwaya found that quote funny grin. I didn't know Egyptian Coptic Church had a huge influence in Ethiopia?
Until the 20 century, all Ethiopian Orthodox Church bishops were assigned by Egypt Coptic church. So, Egypt were having a huge influence on Ethiopia religion wise.

1 Like

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 7:37am On May 28, 2017
Hati13:

Until the 20 century, all Ethiopian Orthodox Church bishops were assigned by Egypt Coptic church. So, Egypt were having a huge influence on Abyssinia religion wise.
How did they gain so much influence to do that?
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Aksumawi2805(m): 7:39am On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

As you might know the royal family claims solomonic dynasty so they do consider themselves to be different from the negro stock(Hamito-Semitic as you mentioned), but they never questioned their black african identity. I mean we pride ourselves to be "The black lions" who defeated the white fascists. If you were in Addis you would see that most of older facilities such as school,hospitals...are named "tikur anbessa" (black lion) The thing about Ethiopia is,if you randomly ask a person what his race (zer) is,he will identify with his specific tribe.If you ask if he is black he might say no i am keyh(light skinned),teyim (brown skinned) .Skin color isn't mostly a criteria for determining our tribes here exept for the few southern tribes which makeup small portion of the population.

1 Like

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 7:53am On May 28, 2017
Aksumawi2805:

As you might know the royal family claims solomonic dynasty so they do consider themselves to be different from the negro stock(Hamito-Semitic as you mentioned), but they never questioned their black african identity. I mean we pride ourselves to be "The black lions" who defeated the white fascists. If you were in Addis you would see that most of older facilities such as school,hospitals...are named "tikur anbessa" (black lion) The thing about Ethiopia is,if you randomly ask a person what his race (zer) is,he will identify with his specific tribe.If you ask if he is black he might say no i am keyh(light skinned),teyim (brown skinned) .Skin color isn't mostly a criteria for determining our tribes here exept for the few southern tribes which makeup small portion of the population.
I understand about not identifying as black. Black is a very Western invention that doesn't fit on Africa
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:24am On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

How did they gain so much influence to do that?
Christianity was first introduced in Ethiopia in the first century and became official in the mid 4th century. But there weren't many churches and monasteries. The Bible wasn't translated to Geez language. Around the 5th or 6th century, 9 Syrian saints were sent to Axum by Egypt Coptic church to build many churches and monasteries. They translated the Bible to Geez language and more people started to convert to Christianity.

It was from this point onwards, Egypt started to had huge religion influence on Axum and Abyssinia.

1 Like

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 9:24am On May 28, 2017
Hati13:

Christianity was first introduced in Ethiopia in the first century and became official in the mid 4th century. But there weren't many churches and monasteries. The Bible wasn't translated to Geez language. Around the 5th or 6th century, 9 Syrian saints were sent to Axum by Egypt Coptic church to build many churches and monasteries. They translated the Bible to Geez language and more people started to convert to Christianity.

It was from this point onwards, Egypt started to had huge religion influence on Axum and Abyssinia.
I always wondered. Who introduced Christianity to Ethiopia and around what time did Christianity started loosing prominence in Egypt?
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:07am On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

I always wondered. Who introduced Christianity to Ethiopia and around what time did Christianity started loosing prominence in Egypt?
A Christian apostle named Matthew few years after the death of Jesus. They say, he was killed by Ancient Ethiopians. I'm Atheist by the way.

After Egypt was conquered by Arabs in the 7th or 8th century, most of the population started to convert to Islam, but there were large Christian communities on the further north parts. The Christian communities however started to decline through times, but now, there are about 5-10 million Christians in Egypt.

1 Like

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 7:20pm On May 28, 2017
Hati13:

A Christian apostle named Matthew few years after the death of Jesus. They say, he was killed by Ancient Ethiopians. I'm Atheist by the way.

After Egypt was conquered by Arabs in the 7th or 8th century, most of the population started to convert to Islam, but there were large Christian communities on the further north parts. The Christian communities however started to decline through times, but now, there are about 5-10 million Christians in Egypt.
Wait Christian Apostle Matthew? Maybe I should pay closer attention to the bible grin. Why don't you believe when Ethiopia is mentioned so many times in the bible?
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

Wait Christian Apostle Matthew? Maybe I should pay closer attention to the bible grin. Why don't you believe when Ethiopia is mentioned so many times in the bible?
Christianity and other religions are basically nothing but a pointless fantasy system created to their respective fantasy God/gods. I only believe in reasons/science.

Why do you believe in Christianity?
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 8:04pm On May 28, 2017
Hati13:

Christianity and other religions are basically nothing but a pointless fantasy system created to their respective fantasy God/gods. I only believe in reasons/science.

Why do you believe in Christianity?
I've seen too many things that can't be explained undecided

1 Like

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

I've seen too many things that can't be explained undecided
I respect your opinion sis. smiley
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 8:57pm On May 28, 2017
Hati13:

I respect your opinion sis. smiley
Not going to loe, I'm a terrible christian though cheesy. I keep going back and forth between atheism and Christianity, then something happens and I'm pulled nack in
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

Not going to loe, I'm a terrible christian though cheesy. I keep going back and forth between atheism and Christianity, then something happens and I'm pulled nack in
My opinion.

Please forget religion and believe in science, so you can live a relatively easy life compared to religious people life.
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 10:02pm On May 28, 2017
Hati13:

My opinion.

Please forget religion and believe in science, so you can live a relatively easy life compared to religious people life.
Lol I do embrace science, and I get what you mean but in this man's words
"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live as if there isn't and to die to find out that there is"
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/albertcamu163017.html

1 Like

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:26pm On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

Lol I do embrace science, and I get what you mean but in this man's words
"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live as if there isn't and to die to find out that there is"
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/albertcamu163017.html
Even if you are wrong from my perspective, I like your strategy.
Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Omoluabi16(m): 8:32pm On Jun 12, 2017
Good one.

1 Like

Re: Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 12, 2017
Omoluabi16:
Good one.
Thanks!

(1) (Reply)

Funny - How We Roll In Ibadan (pics) / How To Easily Learn Any Nigerian Language / Kedu Ihe Na Eme Ndi Igbo Na Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.