Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,888 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Moses And The Water - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Moses And The Water (513 Views)

Book Of Exodus — NLT (story Of Moses and Isreal journey out of Egypt) / Blind Prophet, Moses Kasali To Buhari: "Contest And Be Disgraced!" / If Abraham,moses And David Are Not Heaven,then Where Are They? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moses And The Water by Nina4u(f): 9:49am On May 20, 2017
In Exodus, God commands Moses to strike a rock, and promises to make water flow in the desert for the people.

Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb, and you shall strike the rock, and water shall come out of it, and the people will drink.” And Moses did so, in the sight of the elders of Israel. Exodus 17:6
Later on, God tells Moses to speak to a rock, promising to make water flow in the desert again. However, Moses strikes the rock again instead of speaking to it... He was tired exhausted being in the desert he was inpatient.. Because of just this one thing, God tells Moses that he will no longer be permitted bring the people into the Promised Land.

“Take the staff, and assemble the congregation, you and Aaron your brother, and tell the rock before their eyes to yield its water. So you shall bring water out of the rock for them and give drink to the congregation and their cattle.” 9 And Moses took the staff from before the Lord, as he commanded him. 10 Then Moses and Aaron gathered the assembly together before the rock, and he said to them, “Hear now, you rebels: shall we bring water for you out of this rock?” 11 And Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock with his staff twice, and water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their livestock. 12 And the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not believe in me, to uphold me as holy in the eyes of the people of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land that I have given them... Why was the punishment so harsh for what seems like a small infraction? Was there something greater or more symbolic going on here? Moses' problem wasn't that he misinterpreted God or thought that since he'd hit the rock before that it was okay to do it again. Rather, Moses was utterly rejecting God and trying to take control.

Moses was violent. He struck the rock twice when God just said to speak to it.
Moses was usurping God's place. He said to the people, "hear now, you rebels: shall we bring water for you out of this rock?" The emphasis is technically mine, but it was already there. Moses didn't say "God will bring water out of this rock for you." He (with Aaron, evidently) took God's place and assured them that he would do it for them.
Verse 12 is pretty revealing as to the nature of Moses's crime:

"Because you did not believe in me," (emphasis mine)
Moses totally failed to trust God for the life-supplying water. He tried to take matters into his own hands. He was supposed the be the leader, but also the servant of God. He tried to usurp God's place.

Additionally, I think there might be some symbolism to the rock. Back in Exodus 17, God tells Moses
"Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb, and you shall strike the rock, and water shall come out of it, and the people will drink" Ex. 17:6 so Moses had no faith.. Was tierd and pissed off God said u will never enter the promised land..
Re: Moses And The Water by joceey(m): 10:43pm On Jun 01, 2017
Nice write up but you saying Moses as no faith after seeing the almighty GOD was not correct... I think the Israelites made him upset despite all.....let me ask you if you were in his shoe and you are been told that you brought them out of Egypt to kill them or make them suffer how will you feel tell me pls wink
Re: Moses And The Water by chinedumo(m): 12:31am On Jun 02, 2017
Greaat topic.

If Moses should speak to the rock what should he say?

Nina4u
Re: Moses And The Water by Koval12(m): 6:36am On Jun 02, 2017
Nina4u I sent you a pm. Kindly check your mail. Thanks
Re: Moses And The Water by orisa37: 10:56am On Jun 02, 2017
If I were Moses, I would tell the Israelites of their individual rights to fall out of the group and go back to Egypt. This same truth should be told Biafra that they have rights to walk out of Nigeria Space, to Israel, if they wish and allow Nigeria to utilise her Space as The Lord directs. Moses tried to eat his Cake and have it. That was some Indiscretion in Moses that God didn't like.

(1) (Reply)

Could It Be True God Doesn't Found Pleasure In Rituals / Father Mbaka Should Not Be Referred As A Native Of Igbo - Chukwudi / The Mystical Pastor Tunde Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.