Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,309 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments (25630 Views)

Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost / Help!! My Results Cannot Be Found In The Department / IMT Student Pays School Fees Only To Find Out Department Doesn't Exist. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by lenghtinny(m): 10:50am On May 22, 2017
CONFAMA:

Many of you who studied the "great" courses in schools usually end up being teachers....

Smh
Shake am well well
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 10:57am On May 22, 2017
tosyne2much:
I like your spirit. You're inspiring

Thanks dear

Like yours
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by CONFAMA: 11:01am On May 22, 2017
Chizzyjoyce:

Thanks alot

I'm most indebted to this

You shouldn't be. I graduated from the faculty of education in UI myself so I understand and empathize with you. I studied library science. I got automatic employment to work in a well equipped library in one of the leading private universities in Nigeria while I was on IT.

The fact is, their is tremendous job opportunities out there for people like us more than people who studied engineering and accounting. New schools and private universities are springing up everywhere these days.

Even those people from other faculties that manage to get employed as contract staff in banks and other various establishments, how much are they collecting?

There is nothing like contract staff in the education sector. What you see is what you get, no shortchanging.
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 11:03am On May 22, 2017
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by CONFAMA: 11:07am On May 22, 2017
praise1705:
the same people who are attacking the Op concerning the course of study are still the same set of people who will or must attend adult education classes, lectures and schools when they travel overseas, so as to meet up with the educational standard of that country, see language learning for instance and also for certification for some short courses for work permit

Imagine, I believe most people attacking her are immature kids who knows nothing about life... Smh
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by praise1705(f): 11:21am On May 22, 2017
CONFAMA:

Imagine, I believe most people attacking her are immature kids who knows nothing about life... Smh

well one can't blame them, the Nigerian educational system has made the youths believe that some courses studied are not of use to the benefit of country, meanwhile goto other countries, when you hear names of some courses you would cover face.

take for example, the spartan education system that was practiced in ancient Greek is what is being practiced in primary n secondary schools overseas and I think some here, where physical and mental abilities are put into consideration during the course of learning and also how boarding schools came about.

it would be of note to point out how spartan kids were beaten when sent out to the community to test them, only because they were caught, but what do we have here in Nigeria?
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 11:22am On May 22, 2017
CONFAMA:

One covered truth yet to be found
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by MarieSucre(f): 11:36am On May 22, 2017
Chizzyjoyce:

People unconsciously asked ME
Unconsciously?! You mean subconsciously.

1 Like

Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by CONFAMA: 11:39am On May 22, 2017
praise1705:

well one can't blame them, the Nigerian educational system has made the youths believe that some courses studied are not of use to the benefit of country, meanwhile goto other countries, when you hear names of some courses you would cover face.

take for example, the spartan education system that was practiced in ancient Greek is what is being practiced in primary n secondary schools overseas and I think some here, where physical and mental abilities are put into consideration during the course of learning and also how boarding schools came about.

it would be of note to point out how spartan kids were beaten when sent out to the community to test them, only because they were caught, but what do we have here in Nigeria?

Wow, you are highly knowledgeable about these things... I admire that.
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 11:50am On May 22, 2017
lazeal:
what level are you there? Finals? You seems well lettered though. Keep it up.

I'm in my 200L Sir
Thanks hun

1 Like

Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 11:50am On May 22, 2017
MarieSucre:

Unconsciously?! You mean subconsciously.

Unconsciously I said
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Mrlouis: 11:51am On May 22, 2017
Chizzyjoyce:
My Name Is Akahara Rejoice Chizoba. A student of UNN to be precise from the greatest department of Adult Education.

For those who are just getting to know that a Department like this does exist will be eager to know why "greatest" is attached to it when it's not even among the so-called professional courses like Medicine, Law, Engineering and others not mentioned. Feel free as I take you on the ride of giving you reasons why my department is not to be made fun of but to be awarded her greatness which she so deserves.

To those of us in this great department, our Department is not a scornful one and in fact I'm so proud of the department and hoping you are.

It was always cumbrous then for me to tell the sincere truth to anyone who cared to know what I was really studying in the University. I always feared response like, how is Adult Education gonna help you in Life?? Are you even an Adult to Start With? Why didn't you go for a better course and I can tell that these response which took the question form provoked me into going on a deep research to know how Adult Education is gonna help me in Life and why I'm actually studying it.

There's always this first meaning that almost everyone subscribes to when staged with the concept Adult Education - Education for the aged whereby they carry their lamps heading towards the village hall at night to learn how to recite the alphabet in their native language. What If I tell you Adult Education is weigh beyond this?? Will you think I'm trying to mask or bury a simple truth simply because I wanna respect or restore my dignity?

Just feel free to read on as I'm gonna make this informal concise work of mine very educative, informative and pervaded with morals as well.
Please permit me to give my own definition of what Adult Education is. To start with, I wanna break the concept to a comprehensive one thereby picking out the terms in it.

So who is an Adult??
I'm sure this word does not really lend itself to an easy definition maybe because of it diverse usage or complexity in nature but not to crack the Rock, there has to be some definitions for it still.
An adult is someone who accepts responsibility, makes independent decisions, and becomes financially independent. An adult can also be seen as an individual whose age and biological state requires an expected or a particular set of behaviour both to himself and to the society at large. There are other parameters used in explaining the word in divergent views like age, social status, reasoning capacity and so on.
What is Education?
Providing a proper definition of Education is complicated by the fact that there is not a clear consensus about what is important about being and becoming educated in life today.
According to Wikipedia, Education is the process of facilitating learning, or the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits.
Educational methods include storytelling, discussion, teaching, training, and directed research.
I think I've done justice in defining the terms and lemme quickly run down to what Adult Education means.
Adult Education prepares people for life either for the now or the tomorrow yet unseen and it's not just concerned with helping people with life's situations but helping them become successful In things they do. With the help of Adult Education, an individual who is perceived as an adult will have his competency increased, he gains greater fulfillment in life and is aware of solving his problems. Sorry for not giving a conceptual definition of Adult Education just felt like going straight to the point.

This is really a hypothetical reasoning which places the department in a devalued situation.
Many people directly or indirectly attribute age to adulthood which brings bout the question "Are you even an Adult To Start with" when you tell them the Course you're studying. As small as you are, you're busy studying a Course meant for our grannies, was the exact comment my aunt gave me when I told her I newly got admitted into Adult Education. I don't know if I'll be countered to say that Adulthood is not solely based on age but an emotional maturity channelled to self- reasoning? Age is not particularly a good indicator of maturity although it’s something we need to add for practical living since it's relative to reasoning.

Adult are part and parcel of the development of any country, what happens when the Adults are not educated?? Does the country still develops??

More to come.....
Still buffering........

Trust me I'm not done with this wordings of mine

Just looking up for your recommendations or comments to continue.. Everyone's suggestion is highly recommended here

I'm a proud Educationist

I'm an Adult Facilitator

Long live the Department of Adult Education

Rejoice

Who you come dey explain give now?
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Mrlouis: 11:53am On May 22, 2017
Chizzyjoyce:

Can I say it's just your opinion..

If I was really sorry from low self esteem I won't have the nerves to fess up openly to being proud of my department...

Don't Conclude for me instead try to work a day with my shoe to understand my hurt..

your comment is still well appreciated Sir
NNE leave that thing..na damage control I dey see so
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 11:54am On May 22, 2017
lazeal:

Don't mind those talking down on ya... you choses a good course. Your works will help close the gap between literates and illiterates in Nigeria.

And you can set up a big business around it. Good good good good!!!

Thank you very much dear
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by hnworisa(m): 11:54am On May 22, 2017
Seems @chizzyjoyce doesn't have any lectures today cause she has being replying every single post on this thread

1 Like

Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by thecultivateur(m): 11:56am On May 22, 2017
Chizzyjoyce:
Adult Education has more to its meaning
I admire your positive attitude & your courage. Keep up the good work. wink
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Mrlouis: 12:01pm On May 22, 2017
Venerable612:
@Op.

I dont think there is any degree thats 'useless'. We can't all be Lawyers or bankers and we all need each other to make our society grow.

#Just be good at what you do.
Nigga, you telling me someone could as well study vulcanizing sciences for four years in a tertiary university in Nigeria?? Mehn here in d US u could study any shii you want buh not in Nigeria..
No hard feelings.. #MyTwoCent
That course is best suited as a part-time study or sandwich or some loose stuff not ur main cheese..
Ask around for agric extension workers.
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by lazeal: 12:02pm On May 22, 2017
Chizzyjoyce:

I'm in my 200L Sir
Thanks hun
oh that is nice. is it a 5 years course?
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by sunnyeinstein(m): 12:17pm On May 22, 2017
Chizzyjoyce:

Everybody's understanding differ tho

Thanks sha

Really i am curious now n tempted to ask... good course or bad course, what is your career goal?
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 12:34pm On May 22, 2017
Mrlouis:

Who you come dey explain give now?

Obviously not you dear
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 12:35pm On May 22, 2017
thecultivateur:

I admire your positive attitude & your courage. Keep up the good work. wink

Thanks jharee

I'm honoured
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 12:36pm On May 22, 2017
lazeal:
oh that is nice. is it a 5 years course?

It's a 4 years Course

1 Like

Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 12:38pm On May 22, 2017
Mrlouis:

Nigga, you telling me someone could as well study vulcanizing sciences for four years in a tertiary university in Nigeria?? Mehn here in d US u could study any shii you want buh not in Nigeria..
No hard feelings.. #MyTwoCent
That course is best suited as a part-time study or sandwich or some loose stuff not ur main cheese..
Ask around for agric extension workers.

So you're saying every course has its own relevance to the society??
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 12:39pm On May 22, 2017
hnworisa:
Seems @chizzyjoyce doesn't have any lectures today cause she has being replying every single post on this thread

Na the misconception I dey clear ooo
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 12:45pm On May 22, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

Really i am curious now n tempted to ask... good course or bad course, what is your career goal?

My career goal is to become a facilitator for Adults there is more to this tho. Also when you talk of a career goal it has to do with a specific statement that explains what profession you want to pursue throughout your life or working life
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:01pm On May 22, 2017
Chizzyjoyce:

What we get in school ain't often streamlined with what the society is expecting.

The relevancy ain't related and I'm aware

But Does that mean We should throw formal education into a bin??
Allow Ourselves to breed misconceptions??

No, overhauling of curricula
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Itzminstrel: 2:33pm On May 22, 2017
Am also an adult education graduate, university of Benin.though I combined it with political science and public administration. There's no point trying to explain what the course is all about cause no one will understand except you passed through that department. Some of our colleagues in other department in the same faculty sometimes makes mockery of the course.I think the name should be changed.Adult and non formal education is a nice course though,but it is advisable you combine it with a course that can be taught in school that's how its done in uniben but its very tedious Sha.I don't have any regrets as regarding what I studied .just concentrate on your study and make sure you graduate with a good grade.you sound very intelligent, keep it up
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 2:37pm On May 22, 2017
Itzminstrel:
Am also an adult education graduate, university of Benin.though I combined it with political science and public administration. There's no point trying to explain what the course is all about cause no one will understand except you passed through that department. Some of our colleagues in other department in the same faculty sometimes makes mockery of the course.I think the name should be changed.Adult and non formal education is a nice course though,but it is advisable you combine it with a course that can be taught in school that's how its done in uniben but its very tedious Sha.I don't have any regrets as regarding what I studied .just concentrate on your study and make sure you graduate with a good grade.you sound very intelligent, keep it up

Thank you very much Sir

I'm combing it with writing Tho
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Chizzyjoyce(f): 2:37pm On May 22, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

No, overhauling of curricula
Don't really get
Re: Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments by Orimolusi(m): 3:10pm On May 22, 2017
Chizzyjoyce:
Adult Education has more to its meaning

My Friend is doing same course in unn but she's in year one Sha, though she doesn't like it, she's planning to change it in year 2

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 University Of Uyo Students Killed By Police / Reasons Why Students Fail In Their First Year / JAMB Should Revert To Paper-pencil Test - House Of Reps Orders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.