Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,836 members, 7,820,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? (11093 Views)

SEO360: The Best Search Engine Marketer In Nigeria - SEO/SEM Rating 2013 / Difference Between Internet Marketing, SEO, SEM, SMO.. / Building A Search Engine Like Google (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by yawatide(f): 6:58pm On Jan 14, 2010
Per the request of fellow forumite, I am starting this thread. It is meant to be a living document so everyone is encouraged to contribute. Also, what I say isn't golden. If I make a mistake, someone please keep me honest.

Here it goes:

Search Engine Marketing (SEM), in lay-man's tems is what you do on your site, in order to promote it, to ensure that it ranks highly in search engines (google, yahoo, etc). The goal is here to reach certain metrics (converting visitors to buyers, getting people to spend more time on your site, etc).

It comprises PPC (Pay Per click, the ads you see at the top and to the right side on google for example. More on this is another post) and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) which is what you do, that doesn't cost you a thing, on your actual site to ensure high rankings (content on your site, layout of your site, load time of your pages, etc)

This is pretty much it for a first post. make sense? I would rather a majority say it does before moving forward. Again, others are free to chime in.
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by lanbaba: 2:40am On Jan 18, 2010
make sense. ride on

1 Like

Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by Don4life: 6:34pm On Jan 21, 2010
go on
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by DualCore1: 7:28pm On Jan 21, 2010
yes yawa ride on grin
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by southgates(m): 11:16am On Jan 25, 2010
@ yawa-ti-de, nice job !!! This is a very important post and we all been to share ideas on SEO, Online marketing, PPC, PPI etc. Most web masters don't pay attention to this area in their design and delivery of a website, maybe due to the non competitiveness of ecommerce site in Nigeria, pls ride on
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by adminlo: 4:12pm On Jan 25, 2010
Let Me Take Your Business' Website To The Top Of Google Starting Today!

Businesses who have websites ranked #1 in Google's search engine can expect to

command over 73% of   the search traffic for themselves, while the remaining 9 websites listed on that

front page are left to duke it   out for the remainder of the searchers.

Are there at least 10 people a day searching for your type of business or service

in your area every day?    Chances are there are much more.  What would 7 new customers a day be worth to

you?  Would it be   worth 30 minutes of your time?  For a limited time, I am offering free internet

marketing analysis to local   business owners in  Are you going to sit back as your competition

walk all over you and takes   your customers?  I hope not, and I will spend 30 minutes showing you how to:

•          Not just get visitors but how to get  more customers out of your website
  •          Get your old inactive customers to buy more and more often, and thank

you  for the opportunity
  •          Attract customers who may be looking for your competition, and stand
out as the go to business in your industry
  Seriously, you have nothing to lose and thousands on your bottom line to gain! 

So where do we go from here?    You can close this screen and go back to your life of business mediocrity, and

hope the recession doesn’t get you. 
  OR!  You can contact me today for your free consultation and you can begin to

have customers lining up before   your business even opens.  Quick before I’m booked, visit 

Get Local Seo  Now
    and prepare for a windfall of new  business.
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by uchesco4: 7:38pm On Jan 28, 2010
A lot of sense is there carry on.
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by Nobody: 9:38am On Jan 29, 2010
sem is simply paying money for your ads to be listed in the search engine. Now the master, talk about how someone can be successfully with SEM. I believe that it is very risky doing ppc, because you may bid without any sales conversion. Now let the cat out of the bag.
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by mbanusick(m): 12:15pm On Jan 29, 2010
no need to make sense as it is sense itself , carry on bro grin
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by kheme(m): 5:04pm On Jan 30, 2010
its nice to finally see this. um, yawa, i wanted you to check this site: www.mountainviewcyprus.com that's the site that brought up ma debate about SEO the other day grin
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by consultmartins(m): 3:19am On Feb 03, 2010
To Me, SEM is simply the art of generating massive traffic using the search engines as a leverage. Regardless ofit being free or not.
Cheers.

Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by mkwayisi: 10:14am On Feb 03, 2010
No yawa, I disagree with your definition of SEM! SEO is totally distinct from SEM itself. SEM is just marketing your site via SEs while SEO is the art and science of seeking top place in SERP!
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by Angel2010: 5:09am On Feb 04, 2010
You are right, that is what Search Engine Marketing means.
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by ogbongzky(m): 10:32pm On Feb 13, 2010
NIce one, without good SEM and SEO fixes, your site will just be there with no one getting to know about it. My blogger blog is ranking high on google, with most of my articles in the top 10 all just because of the series of stuffs have done with it and still doing,
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by dbigsten: 11:19pm On Feb 28, 2010
ur head is there carry go man.
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by hammythomas: 8:22am On Mar 08, 2010
Search engine optimization is the art of placing your website in the first few pages of a search engine for a strategically defined set of keywords. In simple words SEO helps your website appear on the first page of a search engine like Google, when someone searches for your product or services.
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
Yawa, ride on o!
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by fenno(m): 12:38am On Mar 23, 2010
The definitions and explanations given about Search Engine Marketing (SEM) on this discussion are all valid. One thing to note is that there is a fee to be paid in order for a website to be included in the search results.

However there is a better alternative to SEM. Its called Search Engine Optimization (SEO). SEO also helps in improving the volume of traffic to a website directed from search engines. The catch here is that it can guarantee results without paying any money. SEO is one of the major tools today that give websites a "web presence"in the world of internet marketing.

The criteria people use to search in search engines are considered by SEOs and based on this certain relevant keywords are included in the html code which in turn increases boosts the web presence of the web site.

Remember, i'm not downplaying the use of Search Engine Marketing, i'm only informing everyone about viable alternatives.

Feel free to ask more questions on the issue.

Fenno!
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by NetWrks(m): 1:46pm On Mar 24, 2010
@adminlo
I have reservations over your contributions. It seems you
want to sell some affiliate products. Looking at their prices,
I wonder how many of them you have actually bought and
tested? No hard feelings.

@ Yawatide
That’s a good one and it makes sense.

But I will like to take it one step further by starting from the basics.

What is search engine?
A search ebgine is simply any website that allows visitors
to conduct searches on the world wide web based on specific
keywords.

What is a keyword?
A keyword is the most important and meaningful word in
your search phrase which enables you the search engine to
feed you results that are closest to what you are looking for.

Does location enhance search result?
Yes! It does.

You must understand that every information and website are
Hosted in different computers and servers around the world.
So, are people and businesses. Therefore, the more location
specific your search phrase, the closer and better will be your
search result. Now, let’s assume you are looking for a forum.

Go to google.com and type under-listed phrases, and for each
of them list the total number of websites found.

Here we go

No Search Phrase Total Sites Found
1. Forums
2. Forums in Africa
3. Forums in Nigeria
4. Forums in Lagos
5. Internet marketing forum in Lagos
6. Online forums
7. Online forums in Africa
8. Online forums in Nigeria
9. Online forum in Lagos
10. Nairaland forum
11. Nairaland forum ONLY lagos
12. Nairaland forum ONLY Lagos Niageria
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 25, 2010
How do one get his or her website to this search engine and what is the payment like and the payment mode. I just got e newly well designed and very comprehensive website to promote and market, Pls more answers
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by adino(m): 1:33pm On Apr 02, 2010
SEM is a hot cake in the internet world. I am one of the few Nigerians who do it as properly as a business . I would be launching my site by next week, but as an easter bonus I am ready to promote 2 websites only free of charge.
Well I do 100% manual submissions and I will send your website to 50 high PR indexes and 20 top search engines world wide absolutely free of charge.
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by mailtimi(m): 5:38am On Apr 09, 2010
It obviously makes sence. SEM benefits you than SEO as you pay for SEM services
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by Jcob(m): 7:35am On May 02, 2010
For cheap SEM benefits, check www.tregeocreatives.com
Re: What Is Search Engine Marketing (sem)? by macayub(m): 10:00pm On May 02, 2010
Am listening grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

GTBank Website Has Been Hijacked? / 7 Practical Ways Through Which You Can Earn Massively In Blogging / Nigerian Adsense And U.K Adsense, The Differences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.