Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,506 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” (897 Views)

Obasanjo: If Jesus Were In Nigeria Today, He Would Not Keep Quiet / When Was Jesus Truly Born? / Is Catholics Praying To Dead Saints Biblical? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by unitypeace: 9:05pm On May 26, 2017
“If Jesus was God, how could He pray to God? Was Jesus praying to Himself?”

Answer: To understand Jesus as God on earth praying to His Father in heaven, we need to realize that the eternal Father and the eternal Son had an eternal relationship before Jesus took upon Himself the form of a man. Please read John 5:19-27, particularly verse 23 where Jesus teaches that the Father sent the Son (also see John 15:10). Jesus did not become the Son of God when He was born in Bethlehem. He has always been the Son of God from eternity past, still is the Son of God, and always will be.

Isaiah 9:6 tells us that the Son was given and the Child was born. Jesus was always part of the tri-unity, along with the Holy Spirit. The tri-unity always existed, the Father God, the Son God, and the Spirit God, not three gods, but one God existing as three persons. Jesus taught that He and His Father are one (John 10:30), meaning that He and His Father are of the same substance and the same essence. The Father, Son and Spirit are three co-equal persons existing as God. These three had, and continue to have, an eternal relationship.

When Jesus, the eternal Son of God, took upon Himself sinless humanity He also took on the form of a servant, giving up His heavenly glory (Philippians 2:5-11). As the God-man, He had to learn obedience (Hebrews 5:cool to His Father as He was tempted by Satan, accused falsely by men, rejected by His people, and eventually crucified. His praying to His heavenly Father was to ask for power (John 11:41-42) and wisdom (Mark 1:35, 6:46). His praying showed His dependence upon His Father in His humanity to carry out His Father’s plan of redemption, as evidenced in Christ’s high priestly prayer in John 17. His praying demonstrated that He ultimately submitted to His Father’s will, which was to go to the cross and pay the penalty (death) for our breaking God’s law (Matthew 26:31-46). Of course, He rose bodily from the grave, winning forgiveness and eternal life for those who repent of sin and believe in Him as the Savior.

There is no problem with God the Son praying or talking to God the Father. As mentioned, they had an eternal relationship before Christ became a man. This relationship is depicted in the Gospels so we can see how the Son of God in His humanity carried out His Father’s will, and in doing so, purchased redemption for His children (John 6:38). Christ’s continual submission to His heavenly Father was empowered and kept focused through His prayer life. Christ’s example of prayer is ours to follow.

Jesus Christ was no less God on earth when praying to His Father in heaven. He was depicting how even in sinless humanity it is necessary to have a vital prayer life in order to do His Father’s will. Jesus’ praying to the Father was a demonstration of His relationship within the Trinity and an example for us that we must rely on God through prayer for the strength and wisdom we need. Since Christ, as the God-man, needed to have a vibrant prayer life, so should the follower of Christ today.

Recommended Resource: Jesus: The Greatest Life of All by Charles Swindoll

Please find time to visit our website site www.beforegodanswer.com The knowledge and wisdom you have today can be a life changer for a better future. Some families and individuals have missed out to read what would help shape a better home and society. The best time to start is now. Nobody has all the answers. The most interesting part is that the site comes with a forum where we share opinion, ideas and read comments. What you share today make a big difference for a better society. we can not do it along by our self. Sign up and join today which will take less than a minute. www.beforegodanswer.com

Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by temitope277(m): 9:14pm On May 26, 2017
he's just trying to teach us how to pray
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by duduwest(m): 9:21pm On May 26, 2017
Ignorant is not an answer
Imagine when Jesus was born and covered with blood then you see someone tell you that's your creator. Won't you curse the person and. Also think of this during the time the so called your God(Jesus) was born who's controlling the universe
I will appreciate if you can stand a debate on The true religion by God through Bible and Quran
You're welcome

4 Likes

Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by haywizzy007(m): 9:37pm On May 26, 2017
Since you said Jesus was God when he walked the earth, I keep thinking about this question...who was in charge of the whole universe for the 3days that 'God' died??

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by ubongoton(m): 9:53pm On May 26, 2017
God,lord,father are titles not names .
Jesus is the son of Jahovah the master of the universe .so dont confused una self
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by ubongoton(m): 9:55pm On May 26, 2017
haywizzy007:
Since you said Jesus was God when he walked the earth, I keep thinking about this question...who was in charge of the whole universe for the 3days that 'God' died??
Canal man listen.
God is not a name but title so
Jesus is the son of Jahovah
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by ayodijex(m): 10:02pm On May 26, 2017
The more you people try to explain the trinity stuff the more you complicate the whole stuff.
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by unitypeace: 10:08pm On May 26, 2017
duduwest:
Imagine when Jesus was born and covered with blood then you see someone tell you that's your creator. Won't you curse the person and. Also think of this during the time the so called your God(Jesus) was born who's controlling the universe
I will appreciate if you can stand a debate on The true religion by God through Bible and Quran
You're welcome

Sorry this post is for believers( Christians). When I see a post for debate I will let you know.
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by Pastafarian: 10:54pm On May 26, 2017
Christians already believe in at least 2 gods. Then they use the well-acknowledged nonsense of the trinity to proclaim that they are together one god because monotheism has a bigger dick than polytheism or something. (The holy spirit is some sort of mysterious brain virus / hatchet-man that keeps you indoctrinated and resistant of reality.) Theologians even often acknowledge that if you claim that you understand the trinity, then you don't understand the trinity. And that's because it doesn't make any god damned sense. I wrote this to stick my hand up the dress and into the panties of Christians to give them the holy diddling that they want and deserve.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by haywizzy007(m): 12:00am On May 27, 2017
Many so called scholars have tried to explain the trinity doctrine... they all get to a certain stage where they tell you God's ways are mysterious, how sad!!
To be frank, the trinity doctrine does not go along with common sense.
A pastor once said "To understand the teaching of the trinity you must let go of common sense" lol
Pls if you have young ones around you, never try to explain the trinity doctrine to them, it is bad for their health and apart from that you may end up looking like a fool...God is never a God of confusion!!
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by Pastafarian: 12:04am On May 27, 2017
haywizzy007:
Many so called scholars have tried to explain the trinity doctrine... they all get to a certain stage where they tell you God's ways are mysterious, how sad!!
A pastor once said "To understand the teaching of the trinity you must let go of common sense" lol
Pls if you have young ones around you, never try to explain the trinity doctrine to them, it is bad for their health and apart from that you may end up looking like a fool...God is never a God of confusion!!

are you a Christian?
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by haywizzy007(m): 10:57pm On Apr 17, 2018
Pastafarian:

are you a Christian?
Yeah
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by GoodMuyis(m): 11:34pm On Apr 17, 2018
haywizzy007:

Well the children only need basic info not explanation because they are not versed in scriptures. Unlike an adult who can link verses of the Bible to each other and make spiritual sense out of it. Common sense will fail because it will be God to have a spouse before He can reproduce (same mentality muslim hold). Hence, we have to look into the scripture connect them together and make understanding out of it.

But the teaching of Trinity is Simple to me, except one has not gotten the scriptural revelation OR one is not believing the Bible. To an atheist who denied God existence, their is no point explain to Trinity them, it will be a mockery at the end
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by GoodMuyis(m): 11:39pm On Apr 17, 2018
duduwest:
You're welcome

But when he began to heal the sick, raised the dead, perform wonders/miracles. All in all Died and resurrected, seen by many as evidence of is resurrection then while they are looking at him ascend to heaven .

If na you, she you no go believed?
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by sKeetz(m): 1:02am On Apr 18, 2018
GoodMuyis:

But when he began to heal the sick, raised the dead, perform wonders/miracles. All in all Died and resurrected, seen by many as evidence of is resurrection then while they are looking at him ascend to heaven .

If na you, she you no go believed?

A lot of men have claimed and are still claiming to have done all those miracles you mentioned. Recently, there was news that Oyadepo raised a d dead man to life. Jesus' miracles are not more awesome than that of Moses who parted the red sea or Joshua stopping the sun.

All these miracles have one thing in common; there are no evidence supporting them except the bible.
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by GoodMuyis(m): 6:55am On Apr 18, 2018
sKeetz:

A lot of men have claimed and are still claiming to have done all those miracles you mentioned. Recently, there was news that Oyadepo raised a d dead man to life. Jesus' miracles are not more awesome than that of Moses who parted the red sea or Joshua stopping the sun.

All these miracles have one thing in common; there are no evidence supporting them except the bible.

That is not the question I ask you. If you were there, seeing Jesus live doing all these, wont you believe that is the question

Dont twist it

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by haywizzy007(m): 7:02am On Apr 18, 2018
GoodMuyis:

Well the children only need basic info not explanation because they are not versed in scriptures. Unlike an adult who can link verses of the Bible to each other and make spiritual sense out of it. Common sense will fail because it will be God to have a spouse before He can reproduce (same mentality muslim hold). Hence, we have to look into the scripture connect them together and make understanding out of it.

But the teaching of Trinity is Simple to me, except one has not gotten the scriptural revelation OR one is not believing the Bible. To an atheist who denied God existence, their is no point explain to Trinity them, it will be a mockery at the end
If you think the doctrine is simple, lemme ask....who walked the earth, God or Jesus?
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by GoodMuyis(m): 7:31am On Apr 18, 2018
haywizzy007:
If you think the doctrine is simple, lemme ask....who walked the earth, God or Jesus?

John 3:16 is enough to answer your question, remember the verse is the word of Jesus himself to Nicodemus.

(John 3:16 [KJV])
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Who is God => Father
Who is Son => Jesus

Which one of them was sent and who is the sender? correct answer here will answer yours

Carefull study of the gospel alone established the foundation of trinity. below is another differentiating verse

(Matt 3:16 [KJV])
And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
(Matt 3:17 [KJV])
And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

So from the above who walked the earth, It cant be Yahweh the Father, in essence It was the Son Jesus

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by haywizzy007(m): 7:46am On Apr 18, 2018
GoodMuyis:

John 3:16 is enough to answer your question, remember the verse is the word of Jesus himself to Nicodemus.

Who is God => Father
Who is Son => Jesus

Which one of them was sent and who is the sender? correct answer here will answer yours

Carefull study of the gospel alone established the foundation of trinity. below is another differentiating verse

So from the above who walked the earth, It cant be Yahweh the Father, in essence It was the Son Jesus
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by haywizzy007(m): 8:08am On Apr 18, 2018
GoodMuyis:

Who is God => Father
Who is Son => Jesus

Very good, that's what the Bible teaches..
To the second question...is the Father(Yahweh) and the Son(Jesus) coequal?
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by Primesky(m): 2:22pm On Apr 18, 2018
Please, don't celebrate ignorance. When Jesus came, He came as a full man. Everything He did, He did so we could learn and follow. His life was our blue print.

Read this:
John 1:1-3
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Jesus is that word that was made flesh and He is God. Period!

The truth has been presented to you, but you have you choice to make. Of which you must account for.

Jesus is the way.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by haywizzy007(m): 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2018
Primesky:
Please, don't celebrate ignorance. When Jesus came, He came as a full man. Everything He did, He did so we could learn and follow. His life was our blue print.

Read this:
John 1:1-3
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Jesus is that word that was made flesh and He is God. Period!

The truth has been presented to you, but you have you choice to make. Of which you must account for.

Jesus is the way.
You mean God died for 3 days?
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by sKeetz(m): 5:59pm On Apr 18, 2018
GoodMuyis:

That is not the question I ask you. If you were there, seeing Jesus live doing all these, wont you believe that is the question

Dont twist it

I'll believe if I can truly verify that those were in fact miracles and not staged magic tricks.. I've seen supposed miracles live and they all looked like something from a comedy flick.
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by GoodMuyis(m): 7:57pm On Apr 18, 2018
sKeetz:

I'll believe if I can truly verify that those were in fact miracles and not staged magic tricks.. I've seen supposed miracles live and they all looked like something from a comedy flick.

Why are you being dishonest with mental gymnastics? Just answer the question and stop avoiding it.
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by sKeetz(m): 8:19pm On Apr 18, 2018
GoodMuyis:

Why are you being dishonest with mental gymnastics? Just answer the question and stop avoiding it.

Is my answer too difficult to understand ?

I said, I'll believe if I can verify its truly a miracle and not staged like all the 'miracles' I've witnessed.

Im sure you will ask me again. undecided
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by GoodMuyis(m): 9:39pm On Apr 18, 2018
sKeetz:

Is my answer too difficult to understand ?

I said, I'll believe if I can verify its truly a miracle and not staged like all the 'miracles' I've witnessed.

Im sure you will ask me again. undecided

Apology for not taking note of that. Yahweh bless you in Jesus name if you believe.

1 JOHN 1
1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto uswink
3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
Re: If Jesus Was God, How Could He Pray To God? Was Jesus Praying To Himself?” by Maamin(m): 9:21am On Apr 19, 2018
Let's first of all know this basic truth

Yahweh is God Almighty aka the Father
Jesus is a mighty God aka Son of God Almighty

Now the word 'God' is a title denoting 'strong one' or 'mighty one'

Yahweh aka God Almighty aka the Father acknowledges that there are other gods or Gods but there is none or equal to him (God Almighty)

Is Yahweh and Jesus coequal? No No No
"The father is greater than i" said Jesus the son.

Question - Who walked the earth and was crucified and died for three days and rose back to life?

Answer - Jesus the Son

Question - Who raised him?

Answer - God Almighty (the father)

Question - does the bible support trinity?

Answer - No

Note this Down: Holy Spirit and Jesus the Son are possession and divine emanation of God Almighty (the father) who is revealed as Kether (Crown) i.e ruler and the head of all things above and below.

(1) (Reply)

Athiests Repent! / 20yrs BLIND EYES POPS OPEN @ THE LORDS CHOSEN CHARISMATIC REVIVAL MOVEMENT(pics) / How To Be Disillusioned With Christianity.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.