Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. (22510 Views)

How I Survived My 35 Years In The Oil Industry / Is This True About People Working In Lagos? / Vulcanizer Dies After Tyre Explodes While Working In His Workshop.Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by streetzdreamz(m): 6:22pm On May 28, 2017
damayor001:
Sometimes i wonder why people keep saying geology is lucrative, the truth is not far fetched because is very difficult to see yourself in any of the oil sector, as for me am a geoscientist B.tech Geology. I decided to go into mineral consultancy.. now am doing great with it.. i think is better we start small, even if it means carrying terrameter for someone..
can we have a conversation outside this forum?
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by ayusco85(m): 6:33pm On May 28, 2017
AkanUdoette:
U can be so annoying.

U can be so petty
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by kay9(m): 7:41pm On May 28, 2017
OP,
Saw your topic earlier, decided to sit back a little and see what kind of comments come in... and I'm not surprised in the least.

I understand your request for info from fellow geoscientists who managed to get into well paying positions in IOCs, but the truth is very few, if any, would want their online identities associated with such lucrative stories. It's not the sharing of information that is the problem, its the risk of having your I.D hacked, personal info retrieved, and then some not-so-nice gentlemen paying you a visit later in the evening. Sad, but its the reality. IOC-employed geos are extremely well paid and in a country as insecure as Nigeria, disclosing that you are one may not be such a good idea.

Luckily though, i am not one. smiley ... but i know a few. I studied geophysics, graduated some donkey years ago and had a shot with SPDC's SITP program. Passed all the tests and interviews like no man's biz, and got invited for medicals... and that was it. They kept me waiting for almost 18months and then one morning like that, i got a mail that Shell was no longer interested in continuing my employment process. smiley Sh!t like that can devastate a young man; i know it devastated me... But hey, I've since moved on.

Ok, that was my story. But you're not interested in that; what you want is how you can succeed where i failed. No problem, I'll tell you.

1) A Masters degree
2) Some experience, the closer to your desired job role, the better. That's how most OND holders get in: they've got experience while all you have is a piece of paper.
3) Network. If you have any relative or friend already employed there, better start kissing his or her ass now.
4) Luck. That's right, pure dumb luck... a lots of it.
5) Perseverance. The fanatic kind... cos that's the only way you'll dedicate 10yrs of your life just to get an employment offer from Exxon.

Finally, a word of advice: Geoscience is a very dry field right now; new drilling contracts are virtually nonexistent worldwide, so you need to decide if that's a field you want to go into. Learn an alternative skill; if it can also be applied to you chosen geo-career, even better. But whatever you do, don't spend your youth waiting for a job offer that may never come.

Cheers.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Rockboi: 8:26pm On May 28, 2017
majekdom2:
I won't advice any young Nigerian to study this course. The problem our youths/ students have is basically lack of foresight. I myself was a victim of this. Now, what I mean is many lack the ability to see into the future. We dwell on the current/immediate and past situation/scenario to choose our career/ business path. We all want to venture into what's paying now forgetting that we are in the technological age where things change in a moment. Gone are the days of industries. No inventions anymore thus no new industry. What it is now is Innovation in form of technology that complements this industries.
OP,Geoscience itself is a study/theoretical career. It is not practical as such compared to other science positions in the Oil industry. Geoscience as regards to oil exploration paid years back when IOC's were aggressively exploring. These days they are developing and having appraisals of discovered fields thus not much opportunities for geoscientist. You see that some are even selling assets. They require more of the experienced hands to do these that's why you find that many university lecturers are consultants to IOC's in Geoscience and petrophysics. My advice is, if you want a career in the Oil industry as as geoscientist, make sure you are graduated at either masters or PH.D level, intern with companies of choice. Have a good relationship with lecturers that are consultants.
The sad truth is gone are the days of Oil as the world's power. Oil is loosing it's value day by day. The price will average at a profitable level for sometime but I' ll advice you to look beyond oil and gas in your geoscience career. If my knowledge serves me right, I discovered/probable reserves can serve the world for the next 50 years. So you see, not much exploration is being done plus the renewables and electric motors are not helping. Any thing can happen tomorrow. If I were starting out today and looking for the same kind of opportunity to make a big impact in the world, I would consider three fields.
One is artificial intelligence. We have only begun to tap into all the ways it will make people’s lives more productive and creative. The second is energy, because making it clean, affordable, and reliable will be essential for fighting poverty and climate change. The third is the biosciences, which are ripe with opportunities to help people live longer, healthier lives.
I think any aspiring geoscientist will heed to this advice. The oil industry is not as it were before, geoscientist are very few because an engineer could easily be trained to do a geoscientist it job. I have read all the comments on this thread but this happens to be the best so far. Most of the guys in the oil industry (servicing companies) are looking elsewhere because there's eminent threat of job loss when the IOC stop developing their fields. So I advice u guys to look elsewhere as oil is loosing its revelant by the day.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 8:53pm On May 28, 2017
kay9:
OP,
Saw your topic earlier, decided to sit back a little and see what kind of comments come in... and I'm not surprised in the least.

I understand your request for info from fellow geoscientists who managed to get into well paying positions in IOCs, but the truth is very few, if any, would want their online identities associated with such lucrative stories. It's not the sharing of information that is the problem, its the risk of having your I.D hacked, personal info retrieved, and then some not-so-nice gentlemen paying you a visit later in the evening. Sad, but its the reality. IOC-employed geos are extremely well paid and in a country as insecure as Nigeria, disclosing that you are one may not be such a good idea.

Luckily though, i am not one. smiley ... but i know a few. I studied geophysics, graduated some donkey years ago and had a shot with SPDC's SITP program. Passed all the tests and interviews like no man's biz, and got invited for medicals... and that was it. They kept me waiting for almost 18months and then one morning like that, i got a mail that Shell was no longer interested in continuing my employment process. smiley Sh!t like that can devastate a young man; i know it devastated me... But hey, I've since moved on.

Ok, that was my story. But you're not interested in that; what you want is how you can succeed where i failed. No problem, I'll tell you.

1) A Masters degree
2) Some experience, the closer to your desired job role, the better. That's how most OND holders get in: they've got experience while all you have is a piece of paper.
3) Network. If you have any relative or friend already employed there, better start kissing his or her ass now.
4) Luck. That's right, pure dumb luck... a lots of it.
5) Perseverance. The fanatic kind... cos that's the only way you'll dedicate 10yrs of your life just to get an employment offer from Exxon.

Finally, a word of advice: Geoscience is a very dry field right now; new drilling contracts are virtually nonexistent worldwide, so you need to decide if that's a field you want to go into. Learn an alternative skill; if it can also be applied to you chosen geo-career, even better. But whatever you do, don't spend your youth waiting for a job offer that may never come.

Cheers.
I'm impressed by your story, and I won't mind having the full gist offline. I can only imagine how devasted you were when the said Shell mail rolled in on that faithful day. Your contribution shows your comprehension and attention to details skills are top notch.

You have stated the obvious as it is without mincing words. Are you still in the Geoscience circle?

Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by GeoOla25(m): 8:59pm On May 28, 2017
OP I must first Salute your courage for creating this Thread
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Pinkybush: 9:48pm On May 28, 2017
This thread is the best I've read since the start of this year. Long Live Geoscientists Long Live Geophysicists Long Live Segites
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 11:04pm On May 28, 2017
niyogeol:
The aim of this thread is for established geologists/geophysicists working in the Oil Industry to tell story of how they got into the Oil Industry. I believe sharing your stories here will inspire someone to get into the Industry in no distant time.

I will also appreciate if you can give an insight into your qualification(s), the category your work place falls under - wether operator, regulator or servicing company.

Your advice to people looking at starting a career in the industry. How best to get in.

It will also be of immense value if you can post vacancies (permanent, contract, and internship) in your work place or sister companies.

I believe a lot of people here, including yours truly won't mind doing placement without pay to have hands-on-experience.

I am looking forward to the contributions from the great geoscientists here.

Cc Icon4s

Sorry I am responding late to this mention. I saw it since early this morning but have been too busy.

Getting into the Oil industry is not as difficult as most peeps here term it. However it is about the most difficult of all the industries to break into. I am referring to comments like 'it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.....' bla-bla-bla.

You have to make up your mind early enough. And go for it.

How?

It is very true that what worked for Mr A may not work out for Mr B but generally speaking there is a common story we Oil workers have. That is: I saw the advertisement, I applied, I knew nobody and I got the job. Sounds easy right? But not really that easy.

Remember I said make up your mind early. I had always wanted and dreamt of being an 'Oil worker'. I had this dream and actualised it but know also there so many, in fact most people that had that dream that never actualised it.

Success comes from God but you have to play your part. There is no easy way to success. In my graduating class(Geology) of about 60 only about 5 actually got to work in the Oil industry! Yes that is how slim it is.

It may also interest you to know that I spent the whole of my NYSC studying for aptitude tests. Apart from the Gmat and GRE books I inherited from my elder brother I bought GMAT booklet in NYSC camp. Not satisfied, I bought O level Physics text book(Nelkon) and Further maths text book(Godman). I acquired the physics and Further maths text books just to be able to compete with engineering graduates. I focused on the mechanics and Electricity parts. I like wahala right?

One thought got me going: 'I am the best' and so I deserve the best. I made up my mind early enough that I would work in the Oil industry. I developed so much interest in fields like Stratigraphy, Structural geology, petroleum geology, sedimentology, Petroleum Geochemistry, Geophysics and co.

My project was on biostratigraphy and Paleoenvironmental reconstruction of limestone facies in the Dahomey basin using Foraminifera and Ostracods.

Believe it or not, that project got me into the Oil industry.

How?

By the time I graduated from NYSC I had written NNPC, ELF and Shell tests. I was not successful in all 3 despite all my preparations. Post-NYSC while I was still looking for job. I saw an advertisement by an indigenous Oil servicing firm. They were looking for Biostratigraphers with a minimum of 2yrs industry experience. Initially I was discouraged but something just spurred me to apply. I was dragging my feet and finally submitted my application on the last day of submission.

Shortly after I got a contract job with Access bank. A one month contract. The next day after the contract expired I received a call from that Oil servicing firm for an aptitude test. We were also interviewed same day. All 50 of us that wrote the test were interviewed. At the interview I was asked what I did as my final year project. O they virtually begged me to stop talking paleontology.
They needed an experienced biostratigrapher but here they had a fresh graduate that knows so much about biostratigraphy. There and then they asked me how much they would pay me. We discussed that(negotiated). As I was leaving the interview room I heard a man telling the MD, who is a renowned and recognized biostratigrapher nation-wide, that ' this boy is trainable'.

Two weeks after I was called for another interview. This time just me alone. I was taken to the MD's office and there I saw forams slides, forams catalogues and a paleontological microscopes. In no time I was asked to analyze the slides. I did that and within 1 hour I was done. The MD checked my result and called the Head micropaleontological unit to assess it. He nodded in the affirmative.

I was asked to resume in two weeks.

So that is how I entered the industry.

Though I spent just 1 yr and 2months there before I made a bigger move but the experience I acquired withing that period is invaluable.

I hope my story will inspire you and other young geoscientists.

13 Likes

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 12:16am On May 29, 2017
Icon4s:

Sorry I am responding late to this mention. I saw it since early this morning but have been too busy.

Getting into the Oil industry is not as difficult as most peeps here term it. However it is about the most difficult of all the industries to break into. I am referring to comments like 'it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.....' bla-bla-bla.

You have to make up your mind early enough. And go for it.

How?

It is very true that what worked for Mr A may not work out for Mr B but generally speaking there is a common story we Oil workers have. That is: I saw the advertisement, I applied, I knew nobody and I got the job. Sounds easy right? But not really that easy.

Remember I said make up your mind early. I had always wanted and dreamt of being an 'Oil worker'. I had this dream and actualised it but know also there so many, in fact most people that had that dream that never actualised it.

Success comes from God but you have to play your part. There is no easy way to success. In my graduating class(Geology) of about 60 only about 5 actually got to work in the Oil industry! Yes that is how slim it is.

It may also interest you to know that I spent the whole of my NYSC studying for aptitude tests. Apart from the Gmat and GRE books I inherited from my elder brother I bought GMAT booklet in NYSC camp. Not satisfied, I bought O level Physics test book(Nelkon) and Further maths test book(Godman). I acquired the physics and Further maths text books just to be able to compete with engineering graduates. I focused on the mechanics and Electricity parts of the test books. I like wahala right?

One thought got me going: 'I am the best' and so I deserve the best. I made up my mind early enough that I would work in the Oil industry. I developed so much interest in fields like Stratigraphy, Structural geology, petroleum geology, sedimentology, Petroleum Geochemistry, Geophysics and co.

My project was on biostratigraphy and Paleoenvironmental reconstruction of limestone facies in the Dahomey basin using Foraminifera and Ostracods.

Believe it or not, that project got me into the Oil industry.

How?

By the time I graduated from NYSC I had written NNPC, ELF and Shell tests. I was not successful in all 3 despite all my preparations. Post-NYSC while I was still looking for job. I saw an advertisement by an indigenous Oil servicing firm. They were looking for Biostratigraphers with a minimum of 2yrs industry experience. Initially I was discouraged but something just spurred me to apply. I was dragging my feet and finally submitted my application on the last day of submission.

Shortly after I got a contract job with Access bank. A one month contract. The next day after the contract expired I received a call from that Oil servicing firm for an aptitude test. We were also interviewed same day. All 50 of us that wrote the test were interviewed. At the interview I was asked what I did as my final year project. O they virtually begged me to stop talking paleontology.
They needed an experienced biostratigrapher but here they had a fresh graduate that knows so much about biostratigraphy. There and then they asked me how much they would pay me. We discussed that(negotiated). As I was leaving the interview room I heard a man telling the MD, who is a renowned and recognized biostratigrapher nation-wide, that ' this boy is trainable'.

Two weeks after I was called for another interview. This time just me alone. I was taken to the MD's office and there I saw forams slides, forams catalogues and a paleontological microscopes. In no time I was asked to analyze the slides. I did that and within 1 hour I was done. The MD checked my result and called the Head micropaleontological unit to assess it. He nodded in the affirmative.

I was asked to resume in two weeks.

So that is how I entered the industry.

Though I spent just 1 yr and 2months there before I made a bigger move but the experience I acquired withing that period is invaluable.

I hope my story will inspire you and other young geoscientists.
Thank you for making out time to contribute to this thread. I sure have take away from your story.

If I may ask, do you have MSc? If yes, Nigerian or overseas.

Thanks once again.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Culin(f): 2:55am On May 29, 2017
majekdom2:
people will always want to live longer and healthier. Biophysics could afford you a career in the medical industry, FMCG, RandD after your first degree. In Nigeria, mineral exploration isn't as profitable as one would think hence why Geoscientist always seek opportunity in the Oil industry. This is only my own advice. Except you are looking to work and start a career in another country, I will go for biophysics instead of geoscience

That was helpful. Thanks.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by OjaP: 3:37am On May 29, 2017
Reading all the comments has further confirmed my belief that it is tough to get an entry level position in the Nigerian O&G industry. From my findings, it appears those who entered the industry pre year 2000 are the lucky ones. Those who got in in the 80s and 70s are even luckier. It seems as though the oil companies are no longer interested in Nigerian trained geologists. At least going by their recent recruitment exercises.

I am a geologist myself. Many of my classmates couldn't get a job after we graduated. Less than 1% of us who are still in the industry got our jobs only because we schooled abroad. One of my friends who had a first class couldn't get into Chevron until he got a scholarship to study at Herriot Watt for his masters. Same thing with my friend who got into Shell. She got in only because she went for her masters at Manchester. This is so sad but it's what it is.

All these oil companies during the boom (2000-2012) go to top UK universities to recruit from there. In 2012, Exxon Mobil targeted USA graduates and invited me and some of my friends to write their aptitude tests in their North Houston office. Their plan was to conduct interviews a day after and pick successful candidates. Their requirements was that applicants must have a 2.1 or its equivalent in their first degree and must be graduating or just graduated from a USA university in 2012 and must have observed the mandatory 1 year NYSC. I didn't go for the test because I already got a job at that time.

How I got into the industry
I'm not sure if this would be helpful since I didn't get my job in Nigeria but will say it regardless - It may help someone. After I graduated with my BS degree. I couldn't get a job after NYSC. I decided to further my education in one of the top federal universities in the south western part of Nigeria. I didn't like the structure of the program and decided to go to the US to further my program. It turned out that was the best decision I have ever made my whole life. All of my friends who stayed and completed still couldn't get into the industry as I am typing. Anyways, I got admitted, traveled to the US, got my degree and got a job. I applied for so many jobs and attended so many interviews and got plenty rejections too but for some reason I was happy even with the rejections. I was happy that I was still considered given the many applicants that applied for jobs. Meanwhile, in Nigeria, you won't even make it to the testing stage talk less of interviewing.

The industry standard for an entry level geologist position is a masters degree or higher in Geology. So I will advise whoever targeting the industry to get a masters degree and if possible outside of the country and in top UK schools or elsewhere. Just like others have said, this is a very bad time for geologists and the oil industry. Companies are not hiring like they used to. Many that were hired were fired because of the price of oil. Personally, I advise people to consider engineering (not petroleum) instead of geology. I am working on a PhD in Engineering myself while also working full time. This way, if petroleum doesn't pay again, I will have an engineering degree that can open doors in other sectors. It is so difficult to get into other non oil industries if you have built your life around oil. This is why those laid off are unable to find jobs out side of oil because they can't transfer the geology knowledge to other sectors. In contrast, engineers (excluding petroleum) can work in other sectors because of their engineering background. This is just a personal opinion, others may not agree to it. But at the end of the day, whatever that makes you happy and put food on the table is what that matters.

4 Likes

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by OjaP: 3:50am On May 29, 2017
Icon4s:

What an interesting story. I see that you were able to get in because you know your stuffs. Imagine if you couldn't use the microscope or identify forams or fossils when brought in for the last interview. You could have missed a golden opportunity. I like your final year project, I also worked on the Dahomey basin myself studying the limestones for my undergraduate thesis. If you don't mind, I would like to connect with you outside of here, maybe Linkedin and rub minds together. Thanks for your comment. I am very sure the younger and aspiring geoscientists would find it so beneficial.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 6:25am On May 29, 2017
niyogeol:
Thank you for making out time to contribute to this thread. I sure have take away from your story.

If I may ask, do you have MSc? If yes, Nigerian or overseas.

Thanks once again.

M.Sc Energy and Petroleum Economics. Nigerian University.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 6:58am On May 29, 2017
OjaP:
Reading all the comments has further confirmed my belief that it is tough to get an entry level position in the Nigerian O&G industry. From my findings, it appears those who entered the industry pre year 2000 are the lucky ones. Those who got in in the 80s and 70s are even luckier. It seems as though the oil companies are no longer interested in Nigerian trained geologists. At least going by their recent recruitment exercises.

I am a geologist myself. Many of my classmates couldn't get a job after we graduated. Less than 1% of us who are still in the industry got our jobs only because we schooled abroad. One of my friends who had a first class couldn't get into Chevron until he got a scholarship to study at Herriot Watt for his masters. Same thing with my friend who got into Shell. She got in only because she went for her masters at Manchester. This is so sad but it's what it is.

All these oil companies during the boom (2000-2012) go to top UK universities to recruit from there. In 2012, Exxon Mobil targeted USA graduates and invited me and some of my friends to write their aptitude tests in their North Houston office. Their plan was to conduct interviews a day after and pick successful candidates. Their requirements was that applicants must have a 2.1 or its equivalent in their first degree and must be graduating or just graduated from a USA university in 2012 and must have observed the mandatory 1 year NYSC. I didn't go for the test because I already got a job at that time.

How I got into the industry
I'm not sure if this would be helpful since I didn't get my job in Nigeria but will say it regardless - It may help someone. After I graduated with my BS degree. I couldn't get a job after NYSC. I decided to further my education in one of the top federal universities in the south western part of Nigeria. I didn't like the structure of the program and decided to go to the US to further my program. It turned out that was the best decision I have ever made my whole life. All of my friends who stayed and completed still couldn't get into the industry as I am typing. Anyways, I got admitted, traveled to the US, got my degree and got a job. I applied for so many jobs and attended so many interviews and got plenty rejections too but for some reason I was happy even with the rejections. I was happy that I was still considered given the many applicants that applied for jobs. Meanwhile, in Nigeria, you won't even make it to the testing stage talk less of interviewing.

The industry standard for an entry level geologist position is a masters degree or higher in Geology. So I will advise whoever targeting the industry to get a masters degree and if possible outside of the country and in top UK schools or elsewhere. Just like others have said, this is a very bad time for geologists and the oil industry. Companies are not hiring like they used to. Many that were hired were fired because of the price of oil. Personally, I advise people to consider engineering (not petroleum) instead of geology. I am working on a PhD in Engineering myself while also working full time. This way, if petroleum doesn't pay again, I will have an engineering degree that can open doors in other sectors. It is so difficult to get into other non oil industries if you have built your life around oil. This is why those laid off are unable to find jobs out side of oil because they can't transfer the geology knowledge to other sectors. In contrast, engineers (excluding petroleum) can work in other sectors because of their engineering background. This is just a personal opinion, others may not agree to it. But at the end of the day, whatever that makes you happy and put food on the table is what that matters.

My brother, it was really tough getting a job as a Geologist.

Often times we were put in the same pool with Engineers and sat for same tests. I got that info early which was why I used my NYSC to study physics and further maths. I saw a couple of such engineering questions from the GMAT I bought in NYSC camp. I knew they were questions knowledge of physics and Engineering maths could solve.

Talking about IOCs' preference for foreign degrees. Yes, that has always been the case from time immemorial especially considering our fallen educational standards. But a good number (most) of current industry workers, at least those I know, that got employed from the early 2000s to 2010 got in with a Nigerian B.Sc.
We did not even have masters.

The only company I knew that required M.Sc was ExxonMobil.

I wrote She'll twice, I wrote Elf also.

For She'll from the 10,000 of us that wrote nation wide only 100 of us were called for Shell recruitment day . That is what they call their interview.

I didn't get to the interview stage of Elf. We learnt only 3 people were taken nation wide.

In the NNPC recruitment of 2007 , 1000 graduates were employed. Over 500 engineering graduates/technicians/operators and just 12 Geoscientists(Geologists and Geophysicists)
NNPC put geoscientists and Engineers in the same pool and conducted same test questions. They called it science and Engineering test of which over 80% were Mechanical and Electrical questions.

Companies like Schlumberger, Halliburton, PDL also put Engineers, Geoscientists and Physicists in the same pool and conduct same test for them. You see, you also competing with Engineers.

To work as a Geologist in the Industry you really need to be at the top of your game.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by cris83: 9:49am On May 29, 2017
trilobite:

hope you don't mind me asking if you obtained your Msc in Nigeria.

No I do not mind. I got my Msc in Ghana. As people rightly noted, to be a Geologist one has to be @ the top of ones game and for someone like m that graduated years ago plus msc that I obtained a couple of years back at well, I have lost that drive. I kissed asses as also mentioned in the oil industry but as stated, so few jobs due to the loss in value for oil and asuch I never made any headway neither did I get the pleasure of being called up for an interview or written tests. I have placed those degrees somewhere else and looking for something to do.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 10:04am On May 29, 2017
cris83:

No I do not mind. I got my Msc in Ghana. As people rightly noted, to be a Geologist one has to be @ the top of ones game and for someone like m that graduated years ago plus msc that I obtained a couple of years back at well, I have lost that drive. I kissed asses as also mentioned in the oil industry but as stated, so few jobs due to the loss in value for oil and asuch I never made any headway neither did I get the pleasure of being called up for an interview or written tests. I have placed those degrees somewhere else and looking for something to do.
This is the harsh reality Geoscientists in Nigeria face. Have you considered academics?
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by cris83: 10:27am On May 29, 2017
niyogeol:
This is the harsh reality Geoscientists in Nigeria face. Have you considered academics?

Indeed a harsh reality and I wonder how the young ones who are studying the same course @ the universities in this country feel that they will get a job in this same industry that has tons of graduates with different classes of degrees up to PhD level trying to break barriers to get in. I have @ some point considered academics but if you are referring to lecturing, it will require m going back for PhD in order to belong and move up the ladder. That will require more money which presently I'm lacking. If you are referring to being a class tutor, I haven't really given that some thought. I had dreams of being a top most geologist and making someone dear to m proud of what I have achieved in his place but this country killed that dream.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 12:24pm On May 29, 2017
cris83:

Indeed a harsh reality and I wonder how the young ones who are studying the same course @ the universities in this country feel that they will get a job in this same industry that has tons of graduates with different classes of degrees up to PhD level trying to break barriers to get in. I have @ some point considered academics but if you are referring to lecturing, it will require m going back for PhD in order to belong and move up the ladder. That will require more money which presently I'm lacking. If you are referring to being a class tutor, I haven't really given that some thought. I had dreams of being a top most geologist and making someone dear to m proud of what I have achieved in his place but this country killed that dream.
Do not be detered. Look beyond Nigeria. Most PhD abroad come with funding. Try New Zealand, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Canada and possibly USA.

Luck will smile on you soonest. Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by jobbers: 1:12pm On May 29, 2017
o
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by YOLO1(m): 8:55pm On May 29, 2017
lolaxavier:
As lucrative as the course is, it may be sometimes frustrating​ kick-starting in that field. I had my Bsc in Applied Geophysics and my masters in Exploration Geophysics but as fate would have it, I didn't get to find my way into the industry. At the end, I ended up in another field entirely and I have built a lucrative six-year career in it.
Bro. Please wh school did you do ur M. Sc? Wish to do my M.sc too in same course
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by GeoOla25(m): 9:21pm On May 29, 2017
i have gained a lot from this thread, i recently got an admission offer to University of Liverpool to Study M.sc petroleum reservoir Geoscience , i am still working on funding out-looking for scholarships, i need incite on how to go about this, i want to know if this course is really lucrative in the oil industry or i should go for a course in Geophysics.
cc: ojaP
cc: Icon4s
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Rockboi: 10:02pm On May 29, 2017
Please if you know anyone who has a First Class degree or a very high 2.1, graduated no earlier than 2012 and is interested in working with Schlumberger. Apply here
Https://Careers.slb.com
Engineers only.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 6:06am On May 30, 2017
GeoOla25:
i have gained a lot from this thread, i recently got an admission offer to University of Liverpool to Study M.sc petroleum reservoir Geoscience , i am still working on funding out-looking for scholarships, i need incite on how to go about this, i want to know if this course is really lucrative in the oil industry or i should go for a course in Geophysics.
cc: ojaP
cc: Icon4s

Anything related to Petroleum Geosciences including Geophysics is OK.

Geology, Geophysics and Petrophysics are integrated these days.

I obtained my B.Sc in Geology but I have worked more as a Geophysicist. I have done Well-site Geologist jobs and I have also applied some Petrophysics in certain aspects of my job. Need I also say that I started my career as a Micropaleontologist/Biostratigrapher.

Guess what. I have also done Crude Oil marketing.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by OjaP: 6:22am On May 30, 2017
Icon4s:

My brother, it was really tough getting a job as a Geologist.

Often times we were put in the same pool with Engineers and sat for same tests. I got that info early which was why I used my NYSC to study physics and further maths. I saw a couple of such engineering questions from the GMAT I bought in NYSC camp. I knew they were questions knowledge of physics and Engineering maths could solve.

Talking about IOCs' preference for foreign degrees. Yes, that has always been the case from time immemorial especially considering our fallen educational standards. But a good number (most) of current industry workers, at least those I know, that got employed from the early 2000s to 2010 got in with a Nigerian B.Sc.
We did not even have masters.

The only company I knew that required M.Sc was ExxonMobil.

I wrote She'll twice, I wrote Elf also.

For She'll from the 10,000 of us that wrote nation wide only 100 of us were called for Shell recruitment day . That is what they call their interview.

I didn't get to the interview stage of Elf. We learnt only 3 people were taken nation wide.

In the NNPC recruitment of 2007 , 1000 graduates were employed. Over 500 engineering graduates/technicians/operators and just 12 Geoscientists(Geologists and Geophysicists)
NNPC put geoscientists and Engineers in the same pool and conducted same test questions. They called it science and Engineering test of which over 80% were Mechanical and Electrical questions.

Companies like Schlumberger, Halliburton, PDL also put Engineers, Geoscientists and Physicists in the same pool and conduct same test for them. You see, you also competing with Engineers.

To work as a Geologist in the Industry you really need to be at the top of your game.

You are right. I didn't know Nigerian oil and gas industries only want a Bachelors to get in. It is a minimum of a masters in the USA. The two of my friends who got into CVX and Shell have a masters degree. In any case, be your best at what you do to make a difference.

I sent you an email. Check your NL account.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 9:33am On May 30, 2017
OjaP:

You are right. I didn't know Nigerian oil and gas industries only want a Bachelors to get in. It is a minimum of a masters in the USA. The two of my friends who got into CVX and Shell have a masters degree. In any case, be your best at what you do to make a difference.

I sent you an email. Check your NL account.

I saw the notification. But unfortunately I do not have access to that email account anymore.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Bishops10(m): 2:09pm On May 30, 2017
Icon4s
please sir, I want to choose a career in Chemical Engineering.
How do you see the field?.. Will there be job opportunities upon graduation aside the oil sector even without Msc
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Mixty: 2:16pm On May 30, 2017
Bishops10:
Icon4s
How do you see the field?.. Will there be job opportunities upon graduation aside the oil sector even without Msc

Yes, there will be. chemical engineering is versatile even outside the oil field. You can work in food and beverages, manufacturing, chemical, pharmaceutical, even in IT, etc.

But go for mechanical engineering. It is the most versatile engineering. A mechanical engineering graduate can handle almost every job a chemical engineer can handle in most industries but there are so many roles a mechanical engineer can handle that a chemical engineer will never be considered for.

Make sure you finish with first class or at least a 2.1.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 2:20pm On May 30, 2017
Bishops10:
Icon4s

Chemical engineering is good.

Aside the oil industry (exploration and Production) they work in Breweries, Paint industry, Petrochemicals, Refineries, and co.

However you have to work very hard and graduate with a good grade. By good grade I mean a minimum of 2nd Class Upper.

It makes job hunting easier even without an M.Sc.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by opella(f): 3:42pm On May 30, 2017
A good way to start.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 4:34pm On May 30, 2017
opella:
A good way to start.

Young Geoscientists in the house this is a golden opportunity.

The opportunities are few, when they come grab them with both hands and legs.

cc: niyogeol

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 7:20pm On May 30, 2017
Icon4s:

Young Geoscientists in the house this is a golden opportunity.

The opportunities are few, when they come grab them with both hands and legs.

cc: niyogeol
Thanks. I will try again. Hoping for success this time out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

First Bank To Providus Bank Or Globus Bank / How To BOMB Whatsapp And Get Over 10,000 Sure Clients daily from Any Country. / Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.