Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,485 members, 7,830,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

Proper Process For Marriage Anullment (null And Void Ab-initio Due To Bigamy) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Proper Process For Marriage Anullment (null And Void Ab-initio Due To Bigamy) (955 Views)

Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL / Is It Proper/Healthy For A Man To Suck His Wife's Bosom Milk? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proper Process For Marriage Anullment (null And Void Ab-initio Due To Bigamy) by Roox: 5:17pm On May 28, 2017
Hello Lawyers in the house, please I really need your advice. I want to do things properly.

Some years ago in Lagos, I married a dual citizen of Nigeria and the US. After a few months, it eventually surfaced that she was still (already) married to someone else in the US. This caused a lot of problems and we parted ways. I got a lawyer involved on my side. Eventually he said that there is nothing I need to do, that it is a "null and void" marriage and I am now "single" so I can move on with my life. But I was not given any document to prove this. He said I don't need a document that proves that another document is invalid.

Is this the right way to do it? I kept our "marriage" certificate, and when she eventually divorced the guy the following year I also got a copy of the divorce certificate from her.

Since our marriage certificate date is between her own marriage and divorce certificates, I am thinking this should be enough evidence that it was null and void, but I really don't want this to bite me in the future, when I get married again. Is there anything else I need to do in Nigeria or in the US to clear things up?

Thanks a lot.
Re: Proper Process For Marriage Anullment (null And Void Ab-initio Due To Bigamy) by otiadeoye(f): 5:48pm On May 28, 2017
If I get ur story right, u got married to d last while her former marriage was still valid, she committed bigamy by contracting a second marriage WTH u without properly being divorced and free frm her earlier marriage. Now u want tp be free frm being married to her, u need divorce papers because u wont b joined to anoda if u dont get divorced frm ur previous marriage ... Or u can call me 08025540002.
Re: Proper Process For Marriage Anullment (null And Void Ab-initio Due To Bigamy) by ibkn(m): 8:57pm On May 28, 2017
i beg to disagree, you dont need to dissolve a null and void marriage becuase it never existed in the first place. you just need to petition the courts for a declaration that the marriage both of you celebrated on .... day be declared null and void becuase of the previous marriage. as evidence you will need her marriage certificate and yours.
Re: Proper Process For Marriage Anullment (null And Void Ab-initio Due To Bigamy) by MmmS(f): 7:50am On May 29, 2017
Roox:
Hello Lawyers in the house, please I really need your advice. I want to do things properly.

Some years ago in Lagos, I married a dual citizen of Nigeria and the US. After a few months, it eventually surfaced that she was still (already) married to someone else in the US. This caused a lot of problems and we parted ways. I got a lawyer involved on my side. Eventually he said that there is nothing I need to do, that it is a "null and void" marriage and I am now "single" so I can move on with my life. But I was not given any document to prove this. He said I don't need a document that proves that another document is invalid.

Is this the right way to do it? I kept our "marriage" certificate, and when she eventually divorced the guy the following year I also got a copy of the divorce certificate from her.

Since our marriage certificate date is between her own marriage and divorce certificates, I am thinking this should be enough evidence that it was null and void, but I really don't want this to bite me in the future, when I get married again. Is there anything else I need to do in Nigeria or in the US to clear things up?

Thanks a lot.
so now that you are not married....how far na? kiss kiss wink wink

1 Like

Re: Proper Process For Marriage Anullment (null And Void Ab-initio Due To Bigamy) by Nutase: 12:45pm On May 29, 2017
Technical angry
Re: Proper Process For Marriage Anullment (null And Void Ab-initio Due To Bigamy) by sisisioge: 1:38pm On May 29, 2017
Your lawyer was right. However, he ought to have gotten a court declaration for you to that effect.

1 Like

Re: Proper Process For Marriage Anullment (null And Void Ab-initio Due To Bigamy) by otiadeoye(f): 6:06pm On Jun 15, 2017
ibkn:
i beg to disagree, you dont need to dissolve a null and void marriage becuase it never existed in the first place. you just need to petition the courts for a declaration that the marriage both of you celebrated on .... day be declared null and void becuase of the previous marriage. as evidence you will need her marriage certificate and yours.
Ooook, he wedded a lady who's still in an existing marital contract... But he still needs to get court declaration so he can be totally free from void marriage contracted anyways... Just got d gist right... It is well

(1) (Reply)

Wife Caught Red-handed With Lover On Her Matrimonial Bed By Husband (photos) / What Test(s) Do I And My Fiancee Needs To Do Before We Get Marry? / Racism: Nigerian Dad Fights Oyinbo Kid For Pushing His Daughter At A Playground

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.