Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,907 members, 7,814,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? (28879 Views)

Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? / Man To End Marriage Of 16 Years With His Wife After Discovering Her Real Age / 21-Year-Old Lady Discovers Her Dad Was Not Her Real Father In A Biology Class (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by donstan18: 6:07pm On Jul 15, 2020
Having known that the use of romantic and lovely names is one of the common things in marriages, but I still do not think it's a yardstick to measure the respect and love your partner got for you, because some people prefer maintaining a high level of simplicity and straightforwardness in what they do.

So I would wanna know, how proper is it to address your partner by his or her real name in public places before people?

Let's see what people got to say cool

7 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Pavore9: 6:12pm On Jul 15, 2020
Proper is relative, every couple have what works for them.

237 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 15, 2020
"The worst thing to happen to man, nah see finish"

I have heard some ladies say that if they can't call their partners "playful" names like "Big Nose" "Cow head" "Dog brain" and "Goat Mouth" they ain't in a relationship with the right person.

We shouldn't get all serious in a relationship and at the same time we shouldn't give room for stupidity.

Calling me by my first name is not disrespectful, but calling it like you gave birth to me and the sole administrator of my life in public, that's where I will draw the line.

331 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by donstan18: 6:15pm On Jul 15, 2020
Pavore9:
Proper is relative, every couple have what works for them.
And if one consider it proper while the other doesn't? Proper is relative you know. smiley

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by blackboy(m): 6:16pm On Jul 15, 2020
Make she put Mr or he put mrs or ... or pretend outside..
She always refers to him as sweetie or segun at home then when they go out she calls him a name they dont use. He might not even know she is referring to him until someone points it out to him or she taps him.

If it's okay at home then should be okay outside

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by donbachi(m): 6:20pm On Jul 15, 2020
Just like my friend's wife calls him "bro oke"

28 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 15, 2020
JidennaJason:

I have heard some ladies say that if they can't call their partners "playful" names like "Big Nose" "Cow head" "Dog brain" and "Goat Mouth" they ain't in a relationship with the right person. .
This is pure Madness.... I've heard "fish" before but I don't buy the idea.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by donstan18: 6:27pm On Jul 15, 2020
JidennaJason:
I have heard some ladies say that if they can't call their partners "playful" names like "Big Nose" "Cow head" "Dog brain" and "Goat Mouth" they ain't in a relationship with the right person.
grin cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Like, a wife calling her husband "Cow Head" in public before everyone. Wtf!!! grin

Most couples I've seen don't call themselves anything atall in public, they rather go closer to strike any convo or so.

150 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Ningen(m): 6:28pm On Jul 15, 2020
What actually matters is if your significant other is comfortable and okay with the name you are using to call him/her. People's opinion doesn't.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 15, 2020
I think "Dear" is more acceptable. Nigerians don kuku normalize and bastardized the word already. Everyone nah dear. grin

The one that pains me most is underage ending every sentence with Dear in a conversation.

157 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 15, 2020
Ariza:
This is pure Madness.... I've heard "fish" before but I don't buy the idea.
They see it as the new swag...

One even made it mandatory to call her "bae" Ram boy while she requested to be called "bittch"

Imagine Ariza.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 15, 2020
donstan18:

Like, a wife calling her husband "Cow Head" in public before everyone. Wtf!!! grin

Most couples I've seen don't call themselves anything atall in public, they rather go closer to strike any convo or so.
Lol so you've never heard Daddy Tayo, or Daddy wa.

grin cheesy

78 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 15, 2020
donstan18:

My brief stay at Portharcourt made me realize that my neighbor, Mr. Tamuno is really a "Cow head" and no longer the head of the family.

He thought it was romantic to be called a "cow head" until he was dropped from work.

It's better to go close and pass your message to your partner in public or better still, call him "Dearie"

27 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by donstan18: 6:36pm On Jul 15, 2020
Ariza:
Lol so you've never heard Daddy Tayo, or Daddy wa.

grin cheesy
Lol, of course I have. But I think it's mostly common with our parents[Their generation], but this generation? A tough thing to deal with.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by bukatyne(f): 6:36pm On Jul 15, 2020
JidennaJason:

We shouldn't get all serious in a relationship and at the same time we shouldn't give room for stupidity.

Calling me by my first name is not disrespectful, but calling it like you gave birth to me and the sole administrator of my life in public, that's where I will draw the line.

@Bold: grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 15, 2020
JidennaJason:
They see it as the new swag...

One even made it mandatory to call her "bae" Ram boy while she requested to be called "bittch"

Imagine Ari za.
Imagine....
While these people think these derogatory names brings them closer, it actually tear down their respect for one another.

That *b* word I hate it like..... And how someone could prefer to be called that baffles me.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by bukatyne(f): 6:38pm On Jul 15, 2020
Some people use basic nicknames, names of their kids, their titles or just call their attention and talk to them.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by donstan18: 6:40pm On Jul 15, 2020
JidennaJason:
My brief stay at Portharcourt made me realize that my neighbor, Mr. Tamuno is really a "Cow head" and no longer the head of the family.

He thought it was romantic to be called a "cow head" until he was dropped from work.

It's better to go close and pass your message to your partner in public or better still, call him "Dearie"
You fvckin mad bruv! cheesy grin grin From Head of the family to "Cow head"?

Your last line seems to be the real ideal, reason I earlier stated it....To avoid misunderstanding, especially from people around.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 15, 2020
Ariza:
Imagine....
While these people think these derogatory names brings them closer, it actually tear down their respect for one another.

That *b* word I hate it like..... And how someone could prefer to be called that baffles me.

Maybe you should devote one day to view the WhatsApp status of some of your contact and see dumb caption like;

"Bitch mode activated"

"Just a bad bitch doing my thing"

"Covid-19 can't stop me, I am a bitch with a difference"

I waste no seconds to block those senseless môrons.

39 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 15, 2020
donstan18:

Lol, of course I have. But I think it's mostly common with our parents[Their generation], but this generation? A tough thing to deal with.
I think "Dear" is the normal word people accept.

Couples can also create pet names for themselves too, in my tribe "Ayanfe" "olami" ,"ademi" are very common and people don't react negatively to such name. How they come up with them? Shorten your partner's name and personalize it by adding "Mi" ( Mine).

14 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 15, 2020
JidennaJason:

Maybe you should devote one day to view the WhatsApp status of some of your contact and see dumb caption like;

"Bitch mode activated"

"Just a bad bitch doing my thing"

"Covid-19 can't stop me, I am a bitch with a difference"

I waste no seconds to block those senseless môrons.

Lol.... In all Honesty I hardly or never see such. Lol

Yea... Maybe it's luck or my personality which reflects on the type people I keep on my contact. Lol I can't remember if I've seen anything like that on WhatsApp status. grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by swiz123(m): 7:11pm On Jul 15, 2020
In our country, or at least in the south, couples call themselves by their child's name with addition of pa, ma, Papa, mama, etc.... It has become a norm.

But for I have seen younger couples address themselves as "baby'.

But my babe calls by my nick: Swiz, which I don't have a problem with

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by donstan18: 7:12pm On Jul 15, 2020
Ariza:
I think "Dear" is the normal word people accept.

Couples can also create pet names for themselves too, in my tribe "Ayanfe" "olami" ,"ademi" are very common and people don't react negatively to such name. How they come up with them? Shorten your partner's name and personalize it by adding "Mi" ( Mine).

Scope! Looks cool. More like Arizmi or Arimi grin

Which of'em sounds cool. tongue

8 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 15, 2020
donstan18:

Scope! Looks cool. More like Arizmi or Arimi grin

Which of'em sounds cool. tongue
Lol.. that's if "Mi" translates to "Mine" in your language. grin

None of the above! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Liposure: 8:22pm On Jul 15, 2020
Call me dear, tunde or wizzy. Am fine

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Bola146(f): 8:25pm On Jul 15, 2020
Married couples no, pets names are better. Still in courtship Yes grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by 72Morale: 9:00pm On Jul 15, 2020
JidennaJason:

grin cheesy grin
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by chii8(f): 9:14pm On Jul 15, 2020
It sounds weird!
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Mira200(f): 5:11am On Jul 16, 2020
Partners sha have what works for them
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by ololo12: 7:16am On Jul 16, 2020
grin
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by ololo12: 7:18am On Jul 16, 2020
Call me any of those names and receive a sucker punch grin... Imao just joking ooo... Errmm honey or darling would suffice

JidennaJason:

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:06am On Jul 16, 2020
JidennaJason:

IMAGINE THIS KIND OF NONSENSE.
IF YOU RETURN THE FAVOUR IT MAY CAUSE AN APOCALYPSE.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lovely Cakes in Lagos And Ogun State / Pastor Suspends Wedding Due To Bride's Family Member's Absence (Video) / Lady Donates Her Kidney To Her Mother As A Christmas Gift To Her (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.