Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,900 members, 7,814,044 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal (29190 Views)

Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL / High Court Declares Many Nigerian Marriages Illegal, See If It Affects You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Montaque(m): 8:23am On May 29, 2017
So what will happen to the certificates already issue? This one na provocative decision
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by louken(m): 8:24am On May 29, 2017
The more I read the article, the more confused I became. Which body is certified to issue the certificate? Do local governments issue different certificates? Can someone differentiate between the certificates?
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by nkemma54(m): 8:24am On May 29, 2017
Which one be modified local government unified marriage certificate abeg. I never marry yet. Curious 1st before I talk on this matter.

Small edit.
Nice crack down on corruption “Most of the marriages conducted by local government registries are sham and were merely used to obtain visas by desperate Nigerians. We have written to the embassies not to give out visas based on such marriage certificates,” he said.

This is a nice move by the judicial system. I wish they were more active on more pressing matters.
So this doesn't annul marriages, but it
renders whatever money spent in getting those certificates a waste
will facilitate spending by those affected and some form of corruption by greedy officials looking for gain
and those local government houses will be filled with more people like the sham called 'national ID card registration' wasn't problem enough.
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by bellooyin(f): 8:27am On May 29, 2017
Hope the state registry is not affected
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by livinbygrace: 8:33am On May 29, 2017
Lol!!All marriages have been canceled and nullified ,so go back to reapply .Thank you
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by jashar(f): 8:35am On May 29, 2017
People that have been looking for a way out grin, here you go.... cheesy
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Nobody: 8:37am On May 29, 2017
Couples who want "out" in their marriages , will just thank God and say O pe o!
No need for rigorous and prolong divorce case .
Honey , its over mehn! This marriage is non existent from the get go! .... Whippeee!
Oya let's stop fooling ourselves . We are done ! cheesy

Yes! cheesy

But na wa o!
Thank God am not married yet. grin

2 Likes

Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by pondison(m): 8:44am On May 29, 2017
hmmmm...... no more court if divorce is considered
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Rexology: 8:44am On May 29, 2017
The court also held that the marriages of those that were issued the Unified marriage certificates are GOOD and VALID ,just that the wrong certificates were issued to them.If you are affected by this judgment, just take the wrong certificate to where it was issued and you will be reissued the form E. DASSOL!
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:47am On May 29, 2017
livinbygrace:
Lol!!All marriages have been canceled and nullified ,so go back to reapply .Thank you
Marriages Conducted by LG are still VALID but they need to reapply to be issued the legal certificate.
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Suko110(m): 8:47am On May 29, 2017
Isokay ,Nigeria law is no law , or rather it's law to kill d common man

Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Rexology: 8:49am On May 29, 2017
alexialin:
Honey , its over mehn! This marriage is non existent from the get go! .... Whippeee!

Yes! :DThe court also held that the marriages of those that were issued the Unified marriage certificates are GOOD and VALID ,just that the wrong certificates were issued to them.If you are affected by this judgment, just take the wrong certificate to where it was issued and you will be reissued the form E. DASSOL!
But na wa o!
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Rexology: 8:52am On May 29, 2017
alexialin:

Yes! cheesy

The court also held that the marriages of those that were issued the Unified marriage certificates are GOOD and VALID ,just that the wrong certificates were issued to them.If you are affected by this judgment, just take the wrong certificate to where it was issued and you will be reissued the form E. DASSOL!

But na wa o!
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Rexology: 8:53am On May 29, 2017
livinbygrace:

Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by absoluteSuccess: 8:53am On May 29, 2017
sleazy5:
From what I understand, local government have not been barred from issuing marriage certificates. they have only been barred from issuing certificates which are not in conformity with Form E under section 24 of the Marriage Act. Thus to this extent certificates issued by local governments and called Modified Local Government Unified Marriage Certificate is null and void.
All what needs to be done is for the local government to recall all certificates issued and called Modified Local Government Unified Marriage Certificate and re-issue the appropriate certificate recognized by Form E under section 24 of the Marriage Act.

The poster above the poster above me rushed to comment without reading...and stole my FTC wink

He has given you back your fed.cap.territory.

Good point doe.

1 Like

Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by XKZ(m): 8:55am On May 29, 2017
sleazy5:
From what I understand, local government have not been barred from issuing marriage certificates. they have only been barred from issuing certificates which are not in conformity with Form E under section 24 of the Marriage Act. Thus to this extent certificates issued by local governments and called Modified Local Government Unified Marriage Certificate is null and void.
All what needs to be done is for the local government to recall all certificates issued and called Modified Local Government Unified Marriage Certificate and re-issue the appropriate certificate recognized by Form E under section 24 of the Marriage Act.

Dinobi77:
It's not the marriages that re annulled, but the certificate issued by the councils aren't legal, they were supposed to be exact type authorized by the federal govt. One only needs to apply for reissue, THE MARRIAGES ARE NOT ANNULLED.

Rexology:
The court also held that the marriages of those that were issued the Unified marriage certificates are GOOD and VALID ,just that the wrong certificates were issued to them.If you are affected by this judgment, just take the wrong certificate to where it was issued and you will be reissued the form E.

Do you know if it's all LGAs in Nigeria that issued the illegal certificate or only those in Lagos
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Nobody: 8:59am On May 29, 2017
[quote author=Rexology post=56979663][/quote]

UV mixed up your words with mine ! angry

Take wrong certificates to be issued good ones indeed .
But the E.Dassol form they will refill again, is it not the husband and wife that will fill the form?
If any one of the couple wants out ? He or she will simply refuse to refill any form with the other . And the marriage is null and void no more going to court again for divorce .
Except they still want to be together , then they can both refill the form again.

Mehn my friend will be so happy today grin, while her estranged husband always threatening about their court marriage will be so infuriated cheesy
Lemme quickly rush to her house .. Brb guys

2 Likes

Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Nobody: 9:11am On May 29, 2017
first post i have read in a long time that gave me headache, i am still trying to understand the implication of this judgement
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Nobody: 9:27am On May 29, 2017
Can anyone post a sample picture of what the so called constitutional and legal marriage certificate looks like?
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by godunia(m): 9:28am On May 29, 2017
I m not understanding anymore. Which one is unified again? Need to check but the certificate is issued to wives not husbands. Won't she suspect if I ask her to bring the marriage certificate for examination? Biko I don't want wahala, I will simply let the sleeping dog lie

1 Like

Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by sleazy5(m): 9:32am On May 29, 2017
XKZ:

Do you know if it's all LGAs in Nigeria that issued the illegal certificate or only those in Lagos

To be honest the applicability of this is restricted to Lagos state untill it is tested in a superior court like the Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court.
Also bear in mind that the Court which delivered the judgement is a High court. A High Court sitting in Akwaibom state is not bound by this decision.
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by eodavids(m): 9:47am On May 29, 2017
This judgement is a welcome development because the law do not accommodate ultra vires practices whether by LG or any other.

The good news is that no marriage will be affected by this ruling if such marriages have been celebrated according to the MA. Section 34 of the Marriage Act (MA) is to the effect that minor defects in a marriage in which the couples intended to carry out a proper marriage under the Act, such minor defect will not nullify the marriage. The law also recognizes what is called rectification of marriage.
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by XKZ(m): 9:48am On May 29, 2017
alexialin:

UV mixed up your words with mine ! angry

Take wrong certificates to be issued good ones indeed .
But the E.Dassol form they will refill again, is it not the husband and wife that will fill the form?
If any one of the couple wants out ? He or she will simply refuse to refill any form with the other . And the marriage is null and void no more going to court again for divorce .
Except they still want to be together , then they can both refill the form again.

Mehn my friend will be so happy today grin, while her estranged husband always threatening about their court marriage will be so infuriated cheesy
Lemme quickly rush to her house .. Brb guys

Your friend might not be so lucky...

Section 166 of our Evidence Act provides that court will presume
marriage where there is cohabitation as husband and wife by man and woman.

If she wants out she should go get a divorce
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by XKZ(m): 9:52am On May 29, 2017
sleazy5:

To be honest the applicability of this is restricted to Lagos state untill it is tested in a superior court like the Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court.
Also bear in mind that the Court which delivered the judgement is a High court. A High Court sitting in Akwaibom state is not bound by this decision.

Thanks a lot for throwing more light...

But since the applicability is restricted to Lagos why was the Ministry of the Interior so eager to act on it, even writing to foreign embassies
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by sleazy5(m): 10:06am On May 29, 2017
XKZ:

Thanks a lot for throwing more light...

But since the applicability is restricted to Lagos why was the Ministry of the Interior so eager to act on it, even writing to foreign embassies

on this I can't say...they might have an explanation for issuing the directive... But then this decision is only applicable to Lagos state and the local governments only to the extent that they issued the wrong marriage certificates.
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by charlsecy(m): 10:07am On May 29, 2017
seunlayi:
I laugh......... Thousands of homes about to be destroyed by this judgement
Not really... The judgement could be assumed to be enforced from now onwards.
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by firefox4th(m): 10:21am On May 29, 2017
But my certificate was issued by a local govt and form E is written on it I saw something like section 24 as well. I believe my own is authentic despite being by a lg.
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by XKZ(m): 10:24am On May 29, 2017
sleazy5:

on this I can't say...they might have an explanation for issuing the directive... But then this decision is only applicable to Lagos state and the local governments only to the extent that they issued the wrong marriage certificates.

Righty. Thanks smiley
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Nobody: 10:31am On May 29, 2017
Pavore9:
Glad it does not nullify those already with the certificates.
fear dey catch my guy grin
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Nobody: 11:01am On May 29, 2017
XKZ:

Your friend might not be so lucky...

Section 166 of our Evidence Act provides that court will presume
marriage where there is cohabitation as husband and wife by man
and woman.

If she wants out she should go get a divorce

She moved out of his house some years back, now staying with her parents. But in another relationship with another guy, but she was like she could get away with it , by marrying this other guy without going thru the rigours of divorce .
At least for the past years , she has not been cohabiting with her husband . so she is still free. undecided
I guess?
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by madgoat(m): 11:10am On May 29, 2017
firefox4th:
But my certificate was issued by a local govt and form E is written on it I saw something like section 24 as well. I believe my own is authentic despite being by a lg.

Same with my own. It was issued by the local government. I just checked it and saw FORM E and Section 24 of the marriage act on the certificate.
When i have time i will go to the local govt to see if i need to have it reissued to me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Few Tips For Husbands Of Pregnant Women. / Transformation Of 3 Children Tortured In Akwa Ibom After Being Tagged Witches / How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.