Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,006 members, 7,814,428 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal (29194 Views)

Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL / High Court Declares Many Nigerian Marriages Illegal, See If It Affects You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by XKZ(m): 11:50am On May 29, 2017
alexialin:

She moved out of his house some years back, now staying with her parents. But in another relationship with another guy, but she was like she could get away with it , by marrying this other guy without going thru the rigours of divorce .
At least for the past years , she has not been cohabiting with her husband . so she is still free. undecided
I guess?

For her own peace of mind, she needs to get a divorce if she wants to marry someone else
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 29, 2017
XKZ:

For her own peace of mind, she needs to get a divorce if she wants to marry someone else

OK.
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by kingomallam: 6:01pm On May 29, 2017
will the date of marriage remain the same
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 29, 2017
firefox4th:
But my certificate was issued by a local govt and form E is written on it I saw something like section 24 as well. I believe my own is authentic despite being by a lg.
Mine too. But Local government unified marriage certificate was written under The Federal Republic Of Nigeria.
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by kingomallam: 7:27pm On May 29, 2017
Hello House,

i need clarification on this suppose nullification of marriage certificate issued by local government.

got married sometime in March this year at ibeju lekki marriage registry

i have used my marriage certificate to process a couple of application.

please if i go for reissue hope the marriage date wouldn't change
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by ekwynox: 1:35am On Jul 09, 2017
The issue here is that the Ministry of Interior has written embassies to stop acknowledging the 'Local Government Unified Marriage Certificate'. The US Department of State, which used to accept these local government issued certificates, has updated its website to show that it no longer accepts such.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/NI.html

They're issuing 'Request for further evidence' if you have the local government version of the marriage certificate
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by ekwynox: 2:03am On Jul 17, 2017
Please, I am seeking your opinion on this. I did my wedding at the local government registry. Can my spouse get the replacement marriage certificate on our behalf as required by the recent judgement as I do not live in Nigeria and the embassy is rejecting the local government issued marriage certificate? Thanks for your prompt response.
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by foxyvisa: 9:21am On Oct 28, 2017
ekwynox:
The issue here is that the Ministry of Interior has written embassies to stop acknowledging the 'Local Government Unified Marriage Certificate'. The US Department of State, which used to accept these local government issued certificates, has updated its website to show that it no longer accepts such.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/NI.html

They're issuing 'Request for further evidence' if you have the local government version of the marriage certificate

@ekwynox Please what can serve as "further evidence" for those with the local government unified marriage certificate?
Re: Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal by ekwynox: 11:06pm On Jul 16, 2019
ekwynox:
Please, I am seeking your opinion on this. I did my wedding at the local government registry. Can my spouse get the replacement marriage certificate on our behalf as required by the recent judgement as I do not live in Nigeria and the embassy is rejecting the local government issued marriage certificate? Thanks for your prompt response.

My apologies, I haven't been active on nairaland for a long time.

You might have resolved this but this is for anyone that needs it. Obtain an affidavit from a high court and proceed to a federal marriage registry with the marriage certificate issued at the local government. Explain to them why you're there. It would also help you to get your witnesses swear an affidavit too that you can bring along. It involves some paperwork which would be easier if both couple are around. If not, expect to spend some money on courier. Also, make sure the date of marriage on reissued certificate matches the date on the old one you obtained from the local government. Pay attention to the pen you'll use if you're doing courier; blue pen is common in Nigerian offices.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria / Few Tips For Husbands Of Pregnant Women. / Nigerian Women SPOIL men with their over tolerance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.