Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,827 members, 7,956,125 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:40 AM

Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel (472 Views)

Czech Republic Recognizes Jerusalem As The Capital Of The State Of Israel / Trump Recognizes Jerusalem As The Capital Of Israel / Story Of Gnassingbe Eyadema, The Dictator Whose Family Ruled Togo For 50 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel by Nobody: 7:38am On May 29, 2017
he main pro-independence groups — the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), and the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) — have called for a day of reflection.

Among the IPOB are one of the largest ethnic groups in the central African nation, the Igbo people, and among them is a small minority of practicing Jews, who believe they are descended from the tribes of Israel.

During the last 30 years or so, many Igbo Jews have moved to match their tradition of Jewish descent with the practice of rabbinic Judaism, the learning of Hebrew, observance of kosher dietary laws and observance of Jewish holidays. Many Igbo Jews are passionately Zionist.

In 1970, after nearly three years of fighting, Biafran soldiers, who were outnumbered 10 to one by federal troops and under-equipped, laid down their arms.

The conflict caused an estimated million deaths, many of them by starvation after the secessionist region was blockaded.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/biafran-jews-mark-50-years-since-failed-bid-for-independence/

With surrender went their dreams of a separate state for the Igbo people, who are the majority in the southeast.

Half a century later, Biafra remains an extremely sensitive subject in Nigeria.
Re: Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel by vayne(m): 7:51am On May 29, 2017
Good
Re: Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel by teekay213(m): 7:55am On May 29, 2017
50years anniversary of failure.
Flatos!
Re: Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel by Nobody: 8:07am On May 29, 2017
It is better to keep trying and failing than sitting without an attempt.

No matter how dark the night, daybreak must surely come.
Re: Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel by Ncsamuel(m): 8:13am On May 29, 2017
For the love of GOD!! There is notin like 'BIAFRAN JEW' am an ibo man! Pls we dont have any jewish ancestry in our blood.
Re: Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel by Rossikki: 6:24pm On May 29, 2017
Ncsamuel:
For the love of GOD!! There is notin like 'BIAFRAN JEW' am an ibo man! Pls we dont have any jewish ancestry in our blood.
What research have you conducted in this area?

1 Like

Re: Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel by Ncsamuel(m): 6:29pm On May 29, 2017
Rossikki:
What research have you conducted in this area?
which kind stupid research? Our history is passed down from generation to generation by the word of mouth. Cant remember my parents telling me that my ancestor is jewish! And if not for the civil war all these stories wont be everywhre
Re: Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel by Rossikki: 6:44pm On May 29, 2017
Ncsamuel:
which kind stupid research? Our history is passed down from generation to generation by the word of mouth. Cant remember my parents telling me that my ancestor is jewish! And if not for the civil war all these stories wont be everywhre
Ignorance personified. Firstly, historical research goes beyond oral history, and includes a whole range of elements such as anthropology, linguistics, and cultural comparison among others. Secondly, the oral history of a people is not typically passed from parents to children, but from trained griots to their apprentices. The place you go for trained griots in Igboland would include the Nri kingdom etc, not your parents.

Lastly, until you have spent quality time researching the subject - what you term "stupid research" - I suggest you stay away from the topic.
Re: Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel by Ncsamuel(m): 7:12pm On May 29, 2017
Rossikki:
Ignorance personified. Firstly, historical research goes beyond oral history, and includes a whole range of elements such as anthropology, linguistics, and cultural comparison among others. Secondly, the oral history of a people is not typically passed from parents to children, but from trained griots to their apprentices. The place you go for trained griots in Igboland would include the Nri kingdom etc, not your parents.

Lastly, until you have spent quality time researching the subject - what you term "stupid research" - I suggest you stay away from the topic.
lol why oh why . When will we stop playing the victim? If i may ask was there a ' JEWISH THEORY' to the ibo race before 1960?! Or rather was there a term 'BIAFRAN' before 1955?! See there is no problem if we want to leave this country, but dis jewish theory we are carrying about is kinda embarrassing
Re: Biafran Jews Mark 50 Years Since Failed Bid For Independence: Times Of Israel by chubbyswit(m): 10:21pm On May 29, 2017
Ncsamuel:
you are an igbo man and cant even spell it correctly. Pity

(1) (Reply)

Somali President Drops By A Local Cafeteria To Engage With The Public / Former Brazilian President Sentenced To Jail / Catalonia Referendum: Madrid Court Fines Organisers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.