Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Massive Uprising As UI Students Protest Misappropration Of 40m Meant 4 ID CARDS - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Massive Uprising As UI Students Protest Misappropration Of 40m Meant 4 ID CARDS (440 Views)

UI Students!!! Please I Need Your Attention!!! / University Of Ibadan's VC At Son's Convocation In US While UI Students Suffer / We Sleep In Darkness, Attend Classes Without Bathing – UI Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Massive Uprising As UI Students Protest Misappropration Of 40m Meant 4 ID CARDS by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 29, 2017
The students of University of Ibadan today took to streets to protest the alledged missappropriation of over 40m naira meant for students ID cards by the school management headed by the Vice-chancellor, Prof A. Idowu Olayinka. The students id card which is usually issued by the school at the beginning of every session have not been issued for the past two (2) sessions. This has led to so many students missing out on numerous scholarships, harrassment by security agencies, inability to complete bank transactions and so many other important assignments.
Our correspondent was on ground to witness first hand what was going on and also speak with some students. A student who does not want his name in print told our correspondent that the student union executives on several occassion held meetings with the Vice-Chancellor so as to find lasting solution to the id card issue but the Vice-chancellor would either walk out on them or would not honour the invitation. During one of the meetings with the Student union president Ojo Aderemi, the Vice-chancellor rebuffed the president calling him a 200level boy without beards. The VC is so arrongant and talks carelessly said the student.
Another student which we interviewed also told us that the school every session collects money for id card by for two sessions now, i have not collected my id card. Am in 500l but the last time i collected my id card was in 300l said the student. He also stressed that there is need for the Economic Financial Crime Commission EFCC to probe the school management as over 20,000 students pay 2000 naira every session for id card and yet we have gone two sessions without id cards.
As at the time of reporting, several police vans were seen stationed in front of the University manned by fierce looking policemen. The comissioner of police Oyo state we learnt called the Student Union president earlier today threatening that should the students come outside to protest, they should be ready to pick dead bodies. This was also recorded by the president and a copy is also with us. As for now, the protest has been peaceful.

Re: Massive Uprising As UI Students Protest Misappropration Of 40m Meant 4 ID CARDS by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 29, 2017
glorified secondary school

(1) (Reply)

Furthering Your Study's And The Benefits Attached. / Scholarship For Nigerian Students / Organizing Your Research Paper: The Introduction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.