Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,354 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home (49368 Views)

The Menace Of Boarding Houses For Secondary School Education. / When You Are Asked To Explain Your Experience In A Nigerian Boarding School / 10 Pictures You Will Relate To If You Ever Schooled In A Boarding School. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by creative11(m): 8:34am On Jun 01, 2017
-By Oba Samuel

A boarding house is no doubt has been a stop gap between busy parents and their Children. Children were raised by teachers who acts as housemasters while parents concentrate on their job, career or ministry.

Good as this may sound but there are lots of evils that boarding house does in the lives of Children unknown to many parents which is what this piece is set to reveal:

It Breaks The Family Bond: When a Child is sent to boarding school, the family bond between the Child and the parents is broken as the day-to-day experience that would have built a tie and create a fond memory in the mind of the Child is eliminated. Such a child will never be closely knitted with the Mum or Dad. This aid their strong ties with their peers than their parents.

Low self-esteem: Boarding house can also cause low self-esteem in a Child especially if the Child is bitter for being sent to a boarding school by the parents. This sadness may make such a Child hate everything in the school system which may develop into low self-esteem.

Threat To Sound Health: The unhygienic conditions of most boarding school environments posed a threat to the good living condition required for every Child.
Lots of boarding school have bad drainage system, rut toilet, broken soakaway, dirty water, bed bug infested mattresses and mosquitoes laden environments. This is one major reason, the sick bay is often busy and the number of hospitalised Children is always higher every term.

Leaving Home Too Early: Allowing your Children to leave home during their formative years is too early. Taking your child to boarding school at age 5,6,7,8,9,10-14 is like giving your baby to a nanny. Such a Child will miss all the family values and other home training that would have to distinguish the Child from his peers. When they leave too early, they cease to be your Child and they become societal Children because that is where they will get their training from.

Getting Independent Too Early: Parental dependency is what normally help parents to shape their children as they like but boarding school don’t give room for that. Which is the major reason negative influence easily prevail on them
Boarding school often expose the children to early maturity and independent which make them fall into a lot of mistakes in life. Growth is a process but boarding house often breaks this process.

Negative Influence: Boarding school is the easy ground for negative influences over innocent Children.
As a product of a boarding school, I have realised that there are many Children with bad habits in boarding schools who often infect the innocent ones with negative habits. Lots of wayward children from home always introduce their peers to stealing (which we referred to as jacking of lockers in our time), smoking, alcoholism and gangsterism. Most times, when you take a well-behaved child to a boarding school, you will get a wayward Child in return.

Sexual Abuse: Lots of Children in boarding school were sexually abused by the house masters, teachers and the senior class students which they will not be able to tell the parents during vacation. Most of this sexual acts take place during social nights, preps and midterm breaks when some students were left behind in the hostel.

Rape: Another evil very close to sexual abuse in boarding school is rape. Cases of rape are more pronounced among the students without reporting to school authority because of shame and stigma.

Sexually Active: Early exposure to sex made many of them to be sexually active among their peers to the point of committing abortions. Unfortunately, this fact is unknown to many parents. To them, their child is still a virgin.

Initiation: To many parents who think they are smart by sending their boys to boys only school and the girls to girls only school in order to avoid sexual abuse. This has not solved your problem because many of them were sexually abused by their teachers and the most common one is they get initiated into the act of lesbianism and homosexualism. This will later affect them mentally and psychologically in future.

Victims Of Bullying: The seniors and the notorious among them often go about bullying the weak and younger ones in the hostel which will make the victims fearful, cause low self-esteem and psychological and mentally trauma.

Hardened Heart: Having been away from the parents for most parts of their lives and exposure to bullying and vices like smoking, alcohol and rape normally hardened their mind and become tough thereby becoming easier for them to engage in many criminal acts like armed robbery or join cultism in higher institution. At this point, they cease to miss their parents while they feel more at home with their peers. That is why they still want to spend their holiday at their friends’ house.

Poor Medical Attention And Poor Feeding: The medical attention given to a sick student in the boarding school is usually poor unprofessional because no test is being carried out before administering drugs. Many of these schools lack medical laboratories and this has caused a lot of complications to these innocent children.

Unhealthy and unbalanced diet is the order of eating in a boarding school that is why Children from boarding house always look skinny during the school session.

http://www.dailyfamily.ng/13-evils-of-boarding-school-why-you-must-raise-your-children-from-home/

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 01, 2017
Somewhere, a Boarding School Proprietor would be like:

"Na my market you wan try spoil?"

131 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by LifeIsGuhd(f): 8:54am On Jun 01, 2017
I agree with some points...
Single gender boarding school especially is a NO NO

61 Likes

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by divinehand2003(m): 8:56am On Jun 01, 2017
Boarding schools and their issues are enormous in Nigeria. Although the idea is good, boarding facilities are extremely poor and the program is not fit to be practiced here for now.

6 Likes

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by lenghtinny(m): 10:35am On Jun 01, 2017
It depends on the school environment but the best time a child should ever be away from his/her parents is at the tertiary level..

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by valgbo(m): 11:30am On Jun 01, 2017
I agree with most of the points..... boarding school changed me a lot......... jfrankination

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by IhateAfonjas(m): 1:27pm On Jun 01, 2017

I've told you to stop doing drugs

This is the most brain damaging thread I've read in my life

You wasted my precious time trying to read and comprehend this fuckery, i need my 5 minutes back

Believe this rubbish at your own detriment

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Chiefly(m): 1:27pm On Jun 01, 2017
True...

All these "all boys" and "all Gurls" boarding schools. Na were homo dey set.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by brunofarad(m): 1:27pm On Jun 01, 2017
If you can ,by all means let ur kids live at home and attend school from home ,BOARDING school is another influence of its own

13 Likes

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jun 01, 2017
Hmmmm

Threat To Sound Health: The unhygienic conditions of most boarding school environments posed a threat to the good living condition required for every Child.
Lots of boarding school have bad drainage system, rut toilet, broken soakaway, dirty water, bed bug infested mattresses and mosquitoes laden environments. This is one major reason, the sick bay is often busy and the number of hospitalised Children is always higher every term.

Well,the hygeine problem started in the 1970's....when govt built too many schools and took over too many schools...to the point that it ended up with too many financial liabilites.

Sexually Active: Early exposure to sex made many of them to be sexually active among their peers to the point of committing abortions. Unfortunately, this fact is unknown to many parents. To them, their child is still a virgin.

Initiation: To many parents who think they are smart by sending their boys to boys only school and the girls to girls only school in order to avoid sexual abuse. This has not solved your problem because many of them were sexually abused by their teachers and the most common one is they get initiated into the act of lesbianism and homosexualism. This will later affect them mentally and psychologically in future.

Victims Of Bullying: The seniors and the notorious among them often go about bullying the weak and younger ones in the hostel which will make the victims fearful, cause low self-esteem and psychological and mentally trauma.

Well, alll those happen in good old day schools too....you know.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by nairalandfreak(m): 1:28pm On Jun 01, 2017
Liar! undecided sad

3 Likes

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Alitair(m): 1:29pm On Jun 01, 2017
Very true op. I remember my experiences back then. Was really horid. We drank rain water and our only source of water were the rivers around namely
*bee(because close to the stream there were lots of bee nests)
*tea(the colour of the stream)
*girls stream
*bridge(had a log bridge across)

Only drug in the school pharmacy was paracetamol
Bullying was free for all.....

I'm not angel but I would have been a much better person if i had not schooled there.... Even typing it makes me reminisce on the evil experiences...

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by barackodam: 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2017
Lies, lots of us went to boarding, you don't have to brainwash the public about it. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Just get your ward to a reputable boarding school, that's all that you need

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2017
iamadonis2:
Somewhere, a Boarding School Proprietor would be like:

"Na my market you wan try spoil?"
Hahaaaaaaa but it's the Truth has highlighted by op

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by sukkot: 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2017
yeah fork boarding school mayne. terrorist senior boys sending me to fetch water everyday
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by ModsWillKillNL: 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2017
I disagree with the OP!

Boarding school prepares a child for the real world.

Any child that can hold his own in a boarding school can hold his own anywhere in the world anytime anyday.

Yes, it's a tough, training experience; but by the time you are out, you will be ever grateful that you went through it. cool

The only 2 mistakes any parent can make as regards sending their children to boarding school are:

1. Sending a child to a secular boarding house. A secular boarding house is a no-no anytime anyday.

2. Sending babies to a boarding house. The minimum age for a child to be in the boarding house is 11.

When I was in boarding school, I saw a number of fellow students indulge in a number of vices. But I never joined them. I always remembered the home I was coming from. Also, my parents had warned me beforehand to never mind the deviants or join them. grin

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Mayflowa(m): 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2017
I do agree with the OP. I personally stopped my ward from her boarding school when I started noticing some of these issues up here

4 Likes

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Godsate: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2017
And I'm about to send two of my boys to boarding school by october. Though, most of the listedpoint may not be applicable as it's a private school.

The first is already 13 and going to ss1 while the second born is already 10 and going to jss2.

Day student in the same school and want to move them to boarding of the same school for my wife to have less to attend to in the house.

Op, i hope the move is not too bad. I want my wife to have more time for herself.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2017
I would never send my kids to boarding school.
Especially at tender age. Even Campus scares me.

Let them be going to school from house where I can monitor them and train them the way I want.

Seriously, how can parents be sending their kids, especially girl child to boarding schools
I have, and will never be a fan of that.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2017
who boarding school help

talking from experience.
I did my junior secondary Education at command boarding school, ipaja. Lagos

waste of precious years undecided

anyways, all mallam with him own kettle.
everyone with their individual opinions

4 Likes 1 Share

On point. Low self-esteem, bullying, immorality and some form of nefarious activities nearly got to me. But now, when I think back, I view them as an exciting experience that made me learn from life. The togetherness/bond amongst our set till now is the main bonus of the system sha.

So... To going to boarding schools, I'll say YES/NO at the same time. If i'm making sense, click like. If u tink i'm confused, then click share.

6 Likes 23 Shares

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by olayinka51: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2017
See my account balance is working for all mtn sim.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Ramanto(m): 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2017
some boarding schools are hygienic. And you forgot to state that students in boarding schools are way more intelligent than their day student counterparts

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Quinn22(f): 1:32pm On Jun 01, 2017
Trash trash trash! undecided

7 Likes

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by faruz: 1:32pm On Jun 01, 2017
Boarding school is tha best.... wink

15 Likes

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by wetindeyhappen: 1:32pm On Jun 01, 2017
More Details Have Emerged in Trial Against David Creato, Man Accused of Killing Toddler Son To Please His New Girl Friend.

http://www.ariseafricaweb.com/2017/05/more-details-have-emerged-in-trial.html
Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by rossyc(f): 1:32pm On Jun 01, 2017
Invalid points... Boarding school is still the best...I went to a boarding school and it brought out the best in me..Anybody can possess the above listed points doesn't necessarily matter whether they are boarders or not..The best thing is train ur child well and pray for them.

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by Giddyperson: 1:33pm On Jun 01, 2017
What kind of boarding school did you go to biko

5 Likes

Re: 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home by barackodam: 1:33pm On Jun 01, 2017
Godsate:
And I'm about to send two of my boys to boarding school by october. Though, most of the listedpoint may not be applicable as it's a private school.

rossyc:
Invalid points... Boarding school is still the best...I went to a boarding school and it brought out the best in me..Anybody can possess the above listed points doesn't necessarily matter whether they are boarders or not..The best thing is train ur child well and pray for them.

Exactly

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Countries With The Highest Number Of Universities In The World / Aerial View Of FUTO Owerri- PICTURES / 15 Exam Cheats Now Born Again Return Their WAEC Certificates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.