Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,772 members, 7,837,799 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? (29303 Views)

3 Bedroom Bungalow For Sale In Enugu / 3brm All Ensuit, Bungalow, Alone In A Compound Of Full Plot Size.. 1.2M, A Yr. / Pics Of A Low Cost And Decent Newly Built 3 Bedroom Bungalow In Command, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by yemivictor: 6:50pm On Jul 17, 2010
paragonpro:

I raised this topic in order to compare a Bungalow to a duplex in terms of cost, aesthetics and efficiency, in order to determine which is better and under what conditions.

A bungalow is a type of single-story house that originated in India. It originated from the word Bengali and Such houses were traditionally small, only one story and thatched, and had a wide veranda.
In Nigeria a bungalow is referred to a one-storey house without regards for style of size.

A duplex originally defined as a two unit apartment,  a house that is capable of accommodating two different families on the same plot. But within the Nigerian context it is erroneously defined as a two storey family house, which should rightfully be called a detached house.

OP, i think you got you definition of a bungalow and duplex totally wrong ab initio. A bungalow has no storey at all i.e it is not raised. While a duplex is, usually, a one-storey building. [quote][/quote]
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by mahal(m): 11:26am On Jul 18, 2010
Some people prefer something in-between a Bungalow and a duplex

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by mahal(m): 11:29am On Jul 18, 2010
and this

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by swiftycool(m): 9:48pm On Jul 18, 2010
Firstly it is important that We Architects educate fellow Nigerians to get the accurate definition of specific building design terms thereby preventing the entire Naija populace from looking like ignoramuses to the outside world!

A duplex is a -semi-detached or dual-compartmentalised building containing 2 identical self-contained units of apartments either on a vertical or horizontal plane. what the poster referred to as a detached house is a faulty definition as this is a generic term which could equally refer to a bungalow. The right term for what is erroneously called a duplex and which is "advertised" by mahal above is actually referred to as a maisonette check it up http://www.thefreedictionary.com/maisonette

While a bungalow despite it's original definition based on origins or whatever, is technically correct as is understood by Nigerians; it is a self contained any number of rooms but has kitchen and bathroom within single floor building under one roof.

And to add to the posters point, vertical construction has always been adapted for the purpose of land conservation and to prevent urban sprawl by the choking up of available land mass quickly, hence planning authorities limit such sprawl in certain choice areas by putting a high cost per sq meter horizontal development cost, hence forcing people to adapt to this particular vertical construction style to achieve all their required space yet still conserving the land.  wink
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by blessediyogun(m): 1:14pm On Feb 20, 2015
Well this is a nice post buh i would rather say building a bungalow or duplex does nt hav tu du with your pocket or security....people build houses wt style and quality ..especially the interiors..people prefer living in a portable appartment with a cute finishing..wlile some likes a massive place..so it depends on your taste....and i will like to throw a light to what one of our bro said concerninig the advantage of a duplex..i dont think you should a compare an ordinary duplex to a well finished bungalow grin grin grin...a bungalow having a worth of 80 million should nt even have a comparism with a mere duplex of 30 million without beauty or structure..and as for security..no amount of gate u build in front of your duplex will scare away thief...even the barracks here in uk re being attacked..not to talk of house..the more u think of building a big house or small house for security reasons..i bet u re only attracting thiefs and pigs to visit you...thou the two are nice bro..Thanks and i mean no offence.. grin

1 Like

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by blessediyogun(m): 1:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by odrian(m): 4:12pm On Jan 22, 2017
paragonpro:
I raised this topic in order to compare a Bungalow to a duplex in terms of cost, aesthetics and efficiency, in order to determine which is better and under what conditions.

A bungalow is a type of single-story house that originated in India. It originated from the word Bengali and Such houses were traditionally small, only one story and thatched, and had a wide veranda.
In Nigeria a bungalow is referred to a one-storey house without regards for style of size.

A duplex originally defined as a two unit apartment,  a house that is capable of accommodating two different families on the same plot. But within the Nigerian context it is erroneously defined as a two storey family house, which should rightfully be called a detached house.

So lets start our comparism of the two;

In terms of cost which is the most important factor in the considerations, it is obvious that a bungalow is cheaper to build than a duplex all other factors like area, specifications and  finishes being equal. The problem is by what ratio is duplex more expensive than a bungalow. Here is my analysis;

The most telling cost factor of a duplex is the cost of the decking and  beams + pillars to support the decking. The extra cost of concretework for an average 4 bedroom duplex ( 1 bedroom down and 3 bedrooms upstairs) would cost around N2million depending on the concrete mix

Also the Foundation would be a major cost factor in water logged areas where raft foundation would have to be used, which can add up to an extra N1.5 million to the cost of foundation.

But the Bungalow will occupy at least 40% more ground space that would be occupied by the duplex, so in effect the cost of foundation would be approximately 40% more for the bungalow. so also would be the roofing. 

Now in areas where the land is very expensive, this extra 40% would be a major factor. Imagine a site where land is N60m per plot, the cost of land per square meter would be 92,000/m2. In such a place a bungalow would not make sense.  Furthermore even in relatively cheaper site, the value of having extra space for landscaping, parking and recreation is priceless.

In terms of aesthetics, i agree that a bungalow can have quite an appealing beauty, especially with an architect that can make use of the horizontal emphasis presented by the bungalow. But duplexes can also offer a compact look. Often a lot of architects combine the two effects to get the best of both worlds, by having a sprawling ground floor and a small compact upper floor.

In terms of efficiency of distribution of spaces, i believe you cannot beat a duplex. A duplex allows you to distribute and segregate spaces more efficiently. You can separate the private spaces from the public spaces and even the circulation spaces better. Then there is the added advantage of having balconies on the top floor overlooking the surroundings.

So i will only advice bungalow over duplex in situations where we have ample land, and the land is very cheap.

Let me hear what others think.

Please i need a good architect that can give me a good combination design of both bungalow and duplex...
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by Heymus(m): 4:29pm On Jan 22, 2017
odrian:

Please i need a good architect that can give me a good combination design of both bungalow and duplex...
kindly talk to me on 08036879623. Or olaniyan_amos@yahoo.com
I can produce that for you.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by lookingfly: 7:39pm On May 24, 2021
yemivictor:

OP, i think you got you definition of a bungalow and duplex totally wrong ab initio. A bungalow has no storey at all i.e it is not raised. While a duplex is, usually, a one-storey building.
hello, am about acquiring an estate plot if land in Abuja but the estate authorities said one has to follow the housing plan if a 3 bedroom bungalow. my fear is, what if building this structure exceed my budget. Kindly help if you in position to or better still tell me what to do at this stage. Is it possible to actually estimate the total amount required to complete this project? Attached is the picture of structure. Thanks

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by abrahamobi1987(m): 7:52pm On Sep 29, 2022
diehard1:
I like bungalow but for security reasons, duplex is better any time

yess
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by bluefilm: 5:55pm On Dec 28, 2023
I prefer duplex because of the aerial view it can offer.

paragonpro:
A duplex is more secure than a bungalow because all the windows are within reach from the outside, especially the bedrooms. So an assassin would only need to break the glass (maybe quietly with a diamond cutter), tear the mosquito net and aim a gun at the person sleeping to kill his target. In a duplex, it will be a little bit harder.

Also the roof and ceiling of a bungalow are weak points for gaining entry into the building. That is why i advise people building bungalows to make sure they lay the blocks beyond the ceiling level for the external walls thereby reducing the space between the roof and the ceiling.

Furthermore, the ground floor can be effectively sealed from the top floor by the use of security doors thereby denying intruders (during sleeping hours) access to the bedrooms.

Guy, you've really really got a very very vivid imagination.

Pennywise:
There are still neighborhoods in naija where all the thief needs to do is point his gun through the window.

Besides it is easier to see what goes on within and without the perimeter of ur property when you live in a duplex.

There have been cases where robbers come in through the roof of a bungalow.

Finally you can make target practice of prospective robbers and pluck them at ur convenience from a duplex.

Thank you for making me laugh. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get A Portable Car Port And Aluminium Roofing Systems For Your Building Cheap! / Lagos To Demolish Distressed Buildings In Alaba International Market / Flood Takes Over People's Properties In Rivers State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.