Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,863 members, 7,824,591 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? (29220 Views)

3 Bedroom Bungalow For Sale In Enugu / 3brm All Ensuit, Bungalow, Alone In A Compound Of Full Plot Size.. 1.2M, A Yr. / Pics Of A Low Cost And Decent Newly Built 3 Bedroom Bungalow In Command, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by paragonpro: 1:57pm On Jan 18, 2010
I raised this topic in order to compare a Bungalow to a duplex in terms of cost, aesthetics and efficiency, in order to determine which is better and under what conditions.

A bungalow is a type of single-story house that originated in India. It originated from the word Bengali and Such houses were traditionally small, only one story and thatched, and had a wide veranda.
In Nigeria a bungalow is referred to a one-storey house without regards for style of size.

A duplex originally defined as a two unit apartment,  a house that is capable of accommodating two different families on the same plot. But within the Nigerian context it is erroneously defined as a two storey family house, which should rightfully be called a detached house.

So lets start our comparism of the two;

In terms of cost which is the most important factor in the considerations, it is obvious that a bungalow is cheaper to build than a duplex all other factors like area, specifications and  finishes being equal. The problem is by what ratio is duplex more expensive than a bungalow. Here is my analysis;

The most telling cost factor of a duplex is the cost of the decking and  beams + pillars to support the decking. The extra cost of concretework for an average 4 bedroom duplex ( 1 bedroom down and 3 bedrooms upstairs) would cost around N2million depending on the concrete mix

Also the Foundation would be a major cost factor in water logged areas where raft foundation would have to be used, which can add up to an extra N1.5 million to the cost of foundation.

But the Bungalow will occupy at least 40% more ground space that would be occupied by the duplex, so in effect the cost of foundation would be approximately 40% more for the bungalow. so also would be the roofing. 

Now in areas where the land is very expensive, this extra 40% would be a major factor. Imagine a site where land is N60m per plot, the cost of land per square meter would be 92,000/m2. In such a place a bungalow would not make sense.  Furthermore even in relatively cheaper site, the value of having extra space for landscaping, parking and recreation is priceless.

In terms of aesthetics, i agree that a bungalow can have quite an appealing beauty, especially with an architect that can make use of the horizontal emphasis presented by the bungalow. But duplexes can also offer a compact look. Often a lot of architects combine the two effects to get the best of both worlds, by having a sprawling ground floor and a small compact upper floor.

In terms of efficiency of distribution of spaces, i believe you cannot beat a duplex. A duplex allows you to distribute and segregate spaces more efficiently. You can separate the private spaces from the public spaces and even the circulation spaces better. Then there is the added advantage of having balconies on the top floor overlooking the surroundings.

So i will only advice bungalow over duplex in situations where we have ample land, and the land is very cheap.

Let me hear what others think.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by johnie: 2:20pm On Jan 18, 2010
Very good analysis.

I agree with you.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by AYOANU: 2:27pm On Jan 18, 2010
mansion
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by johnie: 4:56pm On Jan 18, 2010
AYOANU:

mansion

Please explain.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by otukpo(f): 11:44am On Jan 19, 2010
@ poster
U seem to have answered ur questions.
Why asking then?

1 Like

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by Wrex(m): 12:07pm On Jan 19, 2010
Duplex
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by diehard1: 12:32pm On Jan 19, 2010
I like bungalow but for security reasons, duplex is better any time
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 19, 2010
paragonpro:

Now in areas where the land is very expensive, this extra 40% would be a major factor. Imagine a site where land is N60m per plot, the cost of land per square meter would be 92,000/m2. In such a place a bungalow would not make sense.  Furthermore even in relatively cheaper site, the value of having extra space for landscaping, parking and recreation is priceless.

In this case, I will rather settle for a duplex:::::because of the cost of land - N60M

For me to buy a land of N60Million, I better build a befitting duplex

But if you don't have much and want to cut according to your cloth as per the cost of land is affordable, I will go for a bungalow
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by blapo(m): 2:21pm On Jan 19, 2010
@poster your idea is a good one and thoughtful as well, its all about rationalizing between the cost of land and affordability.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by koolchicco: 2:35pm On Jan 19, 2010
Its like comparing Meat Pie with Agidi.

Senseless!
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by johnie: 2:44pm On Jan 19, 2010
diehard1:

I like bungalow but for security reasons, duplex is better any time

How is a duplex more secure?

otukpo:

@ poster
U seem to have answered your questions.
Why asking then?

The poster has only expressed his view and wants to find out what others think. I think we need more of such intelligent discourse on this section rather than just adverts. In my estimation, only about 1% of the threads in this section are of such intellectual discourse. Please note, I have nothing against the adverts.

koolchicco:

Its like comparing Meat Pie with Agidi.

Senseless!

In your opinion, which one is Meat Pie and which one is Agidi?  I think we should make out posts clear.

@poster,
For an elderly couple,  a bungalow may be ideal as the stress of climbing stairs may be too much.

1 Like

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by Pennywise(m): 2:58pm On Jan 19, 2010
A bungalow does not even come close to a duplex in terms of advantages if money is not at issue.

If the owner is physically challenged on account of ill-health or old age, then maybe a bungalow may be prefered.

Otherwise a duplex is easier to secure and defend (this takes precedence over all else if you live in Nigeria), its more prestigious (by far). Secondly, there can be no better tribute (in your old age) to the life you 've lived than a decent duplex-the bigger it is the better. And in terms of aesthetics, I prefer "vertical emphasis".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by Pennywise(m): 3:18pm On Jan 19, 2010
johnie:

There are still neighborhoods in naija where all the thief needs to do is point his gun through the window.

Besides it is easier to see what goes on within and without the perimeter of ur property when you live in a duplex.

There have been cases where robbers come in through the roof of a bungalow.

Finally you can make target practice of prospective robbers and pluck them at ur convenience from a duplex.

1 Like

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by paragonpro: 4:22pm On Jan 19, 2010
johnie:

A duplex is more secure than a bungalow because all the windows are within reach from the outside, especially the bedrooms. So an assassin would only need to break the glass (maybe quietly with a diamond cutter), tear the mosquito net and aim a gun at the person sleeping to kill his target. In a duplex, it will be a little bit harder.

Also the roof and ceiling of a bungalow are weak points for gaining entry into the building. That is why i advise people building bungalows to make sure they lay the blocks beyond the ceiling level for the external walls thereby reducing the space between the roof and the ceiling.

Furthermore, the ground floor can be effectively sealed from the top floor by the use of security doors thereby denying intruders (during sleeping hours) access to the bedrooms.

johnie:

The poster has only expressed his view and wants to find out what others think. I think we need more of such intelligent discourse on this section rather than just adverts. In my estimation, only about 1% of the threads in this section are of such intellectual discourse. Please note, I have nothing against the adverts.

Thank you for your support, it is highly appreciated.

johnie:

@poster,
For an elderly couple,  a bungalow may be ideal as the stress of climbing stairs may be too much.

You are right, a bungalow is more suitable for elderly people. That is why i always emphasize that a duplex must have at least one bedroom down stairs for the elderly and guests. Even for young couples, they might have their elderly parents or uncles visiting from time to time.

Also if the elderly people are rich enough, they can still enjoy the benefits of a duplex by installing a moving chair to the stairs. They are quite common in the US and Europe.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by franko2: 4:45pm On Jan 19, 2010
otukpo:

@ poster
U seem to have answered your questions.
Why asking then?

Yes, and questioner, you are on ya own!

Methinks, this is a fantastic post, well done poster! It allows people who have something to talk and think about come out of the woodwork and, it does it nicely too, well done again, poster! grin
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by Angelseye: 5:22pm On Jan 19, 2010
Nice analysis. I should have checked this out before i started my duplex! cry
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by johnie: 5:51pm On Jan 19, 2010
We have this penchant for 'big is right' this side of the planet.

When you mention bungalow, I think what readily comes to mind is 'face-me-I face-you.'

The cost of decking a duplex is enough to really dress up a bungalow.

@paragonpro
I like your analysis.

However, if you are considering the kind of risk you have mentioned then you also need a security door or burglar proofing for the stairs leading upstairs in a duplex. Aesthetically, that may be a no-no.

Other controls like trained dogs/security personnel, motion detection cameras, etc would be necessary.

In a gated community with motion detection cameras and cctv , a bungalow may still be okay.

My two cents!

1 Like

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by flashgeek: 6:05pm On Jan 19, 2010
cool
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by suxes2005(m): 7:25pm On Jan 19, 2010
depends on how u want it
some duplex are berra off bungalow and vice versa
depends on what u want and ur taste sha, size of family included!

SHALOM
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by nich(m): 8:01pm On Jan 19, 2010
@ topic,
nna, ma guy it depends on what the interior is made up of and looks like. some BQ's beat mansions hands down.

1 Like

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by Ndipe(m): 8:10pm On Jan 19, 2010
I prefer bungalow.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by confrenzy(m): 8:23pm On Jan 19, 2010
duplex is much beautiful
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by malipous: 12:02am On Jan 20, 2010
I think the most important thing here is House not name. Bungalow or Duplex, house na house.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by Ndipe(m): 1:05am On Jan 20, 2010
Duplex may be stylish, but I prefer being on the ground floor. And since I grew up in a bungalow setting that explains my preference to Bungalows.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by plumbcare: 1:29am On Jan 20, 2010
well it depends on choice and cash. one may have money but prefers bungalow. i have seen people that have money to build duplex but went for bungalow just because of personal preference.

1 Like

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by KMTee(f): 8:41am On Jan 20, 2010
what you think is what u become,
as for me, i will go for Duplex.

1 Like

Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by dfanthom(m): 9:13am On Jan 20, 2010
i'd say any is ok with me but like the poster said, the area & some other prevailing conditions will greatly influence my final choice.

like the post as it's a huge deviation from naija issues, tribal & religious typicuffs!!!
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by deb(m): 1:48pm On Jan 20, 2010
Why all the analysis? Face me I face you is better grin grin grin
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by alanbolo(m): 7:33pm On Jan 20, 2010
deb:

Why all the analysis? Face me I face you is better grin grin grin

a-beg-i,  this is year 2010,   no more clumsy buildings that prevent rescue operations during disasters.  Please think upward.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by salynks: 10:18pm On Feb 13, 2010
i have a land in ikorodu G.R.A.,NEED TO BUILT a four flat two bedroom on this plot,is it possible, any help please
undecided.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by AdornHomes(f): 10:34pm On Feb 13, 2010
Bungalow is cheaper. I prefer, bungalows.

But, u seem to have answered your question.
Re: Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? by salynks: 11:39am On Feb 14, 2010
Do u build houses or have any idea on this my question .

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Making Of The "4 Bedrooms Contemporary Style Duplex" (2 units) In Anambra / Review:To Let In Various Locations In Ibadan.with pictures#LATEST / Ikoyi Building Collapse: Sanwo-Olu Orders Indefinite Suspension Of Gbolahan Oki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.