Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,183 members, 7,811,464 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless (2098 Views)

Fasting Is Incredible. Are You A Sinner? Do This! / When Your Prayers And Fasting Is Real, They Will Produce These Results / Paul Enenche Blasts Looters: ‘There Are So Many Useless Rich Men In Nigeria' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Deicide: 1:15am On Jun 02, 2017
Well apart from The Health benefit you might get from it like:

1. Weight Loss
2. Improves Insulin Sensitivity
3. Speeds Up The Metabolism
4. Improves Your Brain Function
5. Improves Your Immune System
6. Helps Clear The Skin And Prevent Acne E.T.C

This health benefits obviously isn't the reason why Religious people fast for Example the Christians fast to renunciate something that is in itself good, like food, in order to intensify their expression of need for something greater; namely, God and his work in their lives or so they think and also get some reward for doing it......
Matthew 6:16–18, Jesus says, “When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.”

For the muslim though Allah has instructed them to fast by force by fire it is not optional!

O who believe, fasting is decreed for you
as it was decreed for those before you;
perchance you will guard yourselves.
The month of Ramadan is the month
in which the Koran was sent down,
a guidance for the people,
and clear verses of guidance and
criterion.

[Quran: Chapter 2, 183]

And of course to also get Reward I mean who wouldn't want 72virgins and endless sex?? grin

But let look at this from a logical point at least the way I see it God why created the universe as they believed need petty things like fasting in order to bless someone? I here some Muslims say they are fasting because of people who are suffering in the world pls how does fasting help those people? and after 30 days you stop and then celebrate it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Deicide: 1:20am On Jun 02, 2017
But if you have any reasonable reason why fasting make sense in a religious context you are free to share it am happy to learn but of course i guess this would be hard to do
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Biodun37: 3:20am On Jun 02, 2017
Denying yourself of things (primary needs) will do a lot to improve your attitude towards assistance to those in need. Engage in just 3 days fasting & compare your feelings towards those who couldn't afford daily square meals to your present attitude.

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by JackBizzle: 4:09am On Jun 02, 2017
Deicide:
Well apart from The Health benefit you might get from it like:

1. Weight Loss
2. Improves Insulin Sensitivity
3. Speeds Up The Metabolism
4. Improves Your Brain Function
5. Improves Your Immune System
6. Helps Clear The Skin And Prevent Acne E.T.C

Nonsense. All those benefits (apart from weight loss) are debatable.
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Origin(f): 5:22am On Jun 02, 2017
@OP your essay no get order, from health benefit to bible chapter to Qur'an chapter to them say them say.

Muslims fast because it like prayer has been ordained by God. Period.

Any benefit is just coincidental:

If you at hungry won't you give more when you know how an hungry man feels.
When you fast you have more energy are more lively. When you break your fast, you appreciate the available food more ( the food that has been taken for granted all this while).

God said He is not in need of one's fast if one does not shun sin. So fasting is not just leaving food but leaving sins and bad behavior. A time of gratitude and nearness to God.
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Pastafarian: 6:08am On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

When you fast you have more energy are more lively. When you break your fast, you appreciate the available food more ( the food that has been taken for granted all this while).
I don't mean to rain on your parade cuz i understand everything else you wrote since you used some spiritual Mumbo-Jumbo EXCEPT the above

if I'm looking to "have more energy" be "more lively" and "appreciate available food more" I can think of MANY other things to do in order to get that result without fasting, a simple google search proves this
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Akiintom: 6:24am On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

* have you taken your time, to think through this baseless statement of yours?

Must you regurgitate anything your imam told you verbatim?

* in case you insist, would you have to guzzle acid, for you to know it's sprite to those who drank it or intend to drink it?
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by kevoh(m): 6:54am On Jun 02, 2017
The benefits listed by the OP aside weight loss can be hugely contested. You will only lose weight if the fast is even done properly, not eat heavily before 6 a.m and after 6p.m grin and miss only one meal (lunch) of the day like religious people do, that one is not fasting angry angry angry Basically, many working class people are already missing one meal a day while busy at work. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by ifenes(m): 8:08am On Jun 02, 2017
Fasting is actually very good for you. Fasting is the most effective way for your body to get rid of cardio vasculine diseases diabetes, obesity, high colestreron and cancer. This can be better achieved between the hours of 11 am to 7 pm. I as a body builder know the benefit of intermittent fasting and how it has transformed by body.

Fasting challenges the brain and helps release of protein/ spirit molecules/ dimethyltryptamine to the brain . This usually happens between 3am to 5am midnight when we go into the dream dimension, more protein to the brain help on remember and have clarity in the dream world - a better connection to the inner-man( God).

In Astro-physics, a long period of fasting helps you activate the Kundalini, which opens the third eyes, a door to the spiritual world because the flesh is being suppressed as it did to many prophets, awaking the Christ consciousness as it did to many prisioners in the past. When people refuse to eat in the ancient world, there is always a fear by their oppressors that they will connect with their higher selves.

A clever act adopted into the Islamic religion. It's been happening long before islam became an idea.

6 Likes

Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 02, 2017
ifenes:
This can be better achieved between the hours of 11 am to 7 pm. I as a body builder know the benefit of intermittent fasting and how it has transformed by body.
Hello bruv,

I never knew you were a professional Bodybuilder, altough I saw some of your pics and traning session. Can I ask you a few questions and receive some advice from you regarding body building and fitness?

Thanks bruv
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Deicide: 10:42am On Jun 02, 2017
JackBizzle:

Nonsense. All those benefits (apart from weight loss) are debatable.

grin Seriously?
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Deicide: 10:46am On Jun 02, 2017
Biodun37:
Denying yourself of things (primary needs) will do a lot to improve your attitude towards assistance to those in need. Engage in just 3 days fasting & compare your feelings towards those who couldn't afford daily square meals to your present attitude.
But people do engage themselves in 30 days fasting some even 60 How does this end world hunger? cause its very clear world hunger is a thing right?
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by JackBizzle: 10:50am On Jun 02, 2017
Deicide:

grin Seriously?

Yes. Fasting is actually bad for your body.

Fasting is only good if it is done properly with a trainer/nutritionist.

The way most people do it is not healthy or beneficial.
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Deicide: 10:51am On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:
@OP your essay no get order, from health benefit to bible chapter to Qur'an chapter to them say them say.

Muslims fast because it like prayer has been ordained by God. Period.
So if Allah didn't say you should fast you wouldn't?

Any benefit is just coincidental:

Well world Hunger would have ended by now right?

God said He is not in need of one's fast if one does not shun sin. So fasting is not just leaving food but leaving sins and bad behavior. A time of gratitude and nearness to God.
If God is not in Need of once fast so why do you do it? can't you be sinless without fasting? so you show Gratitude to God by Fasting but i thought you said he didn't need it?

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Deicide: 10:54am On Jun 02, 2017
JackBizzle:

Yes. Fasting is actually bad for your body.

Fasting is only good if it is done properly with a trainer/nutritionist.

The way most people do it is not healthy or beneficial.

Oh, my bad i didn't know. grin I know some people who fast for 3 days straight to improve their life span and health though this hasn't been scientifically proven yet
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Deicide: 10:58am On Jun 02, 2017
ifenes:

Fasting challenges the brain and helps release of protein/ spirit molecules/ dimethyltryptamine to the brain . This usually happens between 3am to 5am midnight when we go into the dream dimension, more protein to the brain help on remember and have clarity in the dream world - a better connection to the inner-man( God).
What do you think about this Video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHP_LPkyRk
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by lepasharon(f): 11:25am On Jun 02, 2017
Chai.. The Muslims they only eat when the sun goes down. They splurge as much as they want then when the sun comes up, it's back to fasting. They can't even drink water.
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by God2man(m): 12:01pm On Jun 02, 2017
Food is useless when you don't fast.

When you allow the grinding machine inside your stomach to rest then food will become useful to the body.

Too much of food without fasting will allow the hidden sickness in your body to grow.

With quality fasting the hidden sickness will be starved to death.

Shikena!
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Deicide: 12:05pm On Jun 02, 2017
God2man:
Food is useless when you don't fast.

When you allow the grinding machine inside your stomach to rest then food will become useful to the body.

Too much of food without fasting will allow the hidden sickness in your body to grow.

With quality fasting the hidden sickness will be starved to death.

Shikena!
I Did mention that how is Fasting Important in a religious context, Why do religious people Fast?
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by ifenes(m): 2:31pm On Jun 02, 2017
Deicide:

What do you think about this Video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHP_LPkyRk

It's interesting.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by ifenes(m): 2:32pm On Jun 02, 2017
LoJ:

Hello bruv,

I never knew you were a professional Bodybuilder, altough I saw some of your pics and traning session. Can I ask you a few questions and receive some advice from you regarding body building and fitness?

Thanks bruv

Hey bro, ask away please!

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Deicide: 3:45pm On Jun 02, 2017
ifenes:

It's interesting.
angry angry angry grin

3 Likes

Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jun 02, 2017
ifenes:

Hey bro, ask away please!
I am absolutely new at this, and never had any interest in sport my whole life. I am the type that looks very fit, slim with little or no fat, and hardly sick. Not been in any hospital for the last like...20 years or so? I realised recently I had to start to take my body serious and make sure I am fit and moderately built for some spiritual endeavour.

So my first question would be, are there dangers in taking these steroids & testoterone products for body building? Do you use them? How effective and necessary are they?
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by ifenes(m): 5:08pm On Jun 02, 2017
LoJ:

I am absolutely new at this, and never had any interest in sport my whole life. I am the type that looks very fit, slim with little or no fat, and hardly sick. Not been in any hospital for the last like...20 years or so? I realised recently I had to start to take my body serious and make sure I am fit and moderately built for some spiritual endeavour.

So my first question would be, are there dangers in taking these steroids & testoterone products for body building? Do you use them? How effective and necessary are they?

Steroids : I will never recommend it at any point. Steroids is gives short term satisfaction and high risk to health. I will rather your work on your diet, grow gradually, naturally.

You can go for protein shakes, Amin acid tablets,pre- workout shakes,which are no problem to your health at all. The more you workout the more your body will need amino acid and protein to repair your cells.

Since your are naturally fit, body building will only be a bonus. It's good for body mind and soul. I will recommend USN protein shake when you start,Amino Energy is necessary to give you energy and high recovery rate.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 03, 2017
Deicide:
But if you have any reasonable reason why fasting make sense in a religious context you are free to share it am happy to learn but of course i guess this would be hard to do

Hello,

while your criticism of organised Religion with respect to fasting is justified, you may fail to see the bigger picture. Of course it is ridiculous to suggest that a loving divine father would require his children not to eat for many days before he answers their prayers. This simply proves that many religious people misunderstand the role of fasting, but does not in any way make fasting useless for the spiritual minded.

Fasting is helpful (but not cessary) for asceticism and spiritual ascension. It facilites focus and transcendental experiences which are valuable. There are nonetheless other ways to achieve it, and fasting is only one out of many.
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by edicied: 7:48pm On Aug 03, 2017
LoJ:

Hello,

while your criticism of organised Religion with respect to fasting is justified, you may fail to see the bigger picture. Of course it is ridiculous to suggest that a loving divine father would require his children not to eat for many days before he answers their prayers. This simply proves that many religious people misunderstand the role of fasting, but does not in any makes fasting useless for the spiritual minded.
I am not saying Fasting is Bad like from my post I did give some example asin how it can help the body and most people on here said that except it is done properly and with the help of a nutritionist so basically Fasting is not that bad. My point was mainly about religious people and that most of them do the fasting out of selfishness and not because they do really wanna fast most of them are looking for one favor or the other.
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Kobojunkie: 6:36am On Mar 09
Deicide:
But let look at this from a logical point at least the way I see it God why created the universe as they believed need petty things like fasting in order to bless someone? I here some Muslims say they are fasting because of people who are suffering in the world pls how does fasting help those people? and after 30 days you stop and then celebrate it?
The idea for fasting as practiced by the religion of Christianity does not come from Scripture when instead the God of Israel wonders why people would think He is pleased by them starving themselves of food, a ritual which He never commanded of them to begin with - Zechariah 7 vs 3 - 14 and Isaiah 58 vs 1 - 14. Now some may point out that in the Law of Moses, there is a day of fasting commanded by the God of Israel to be carried out by the entire Nation of Israel in the land of Canaan on the 10th day of the 10th month during known as the Day of Atonement. What we know of that special day which is also a Sabbath - Leviticus 23 vs 26 - 32 - is that not only is the Day of Atonement a National Holiday in the land where no one is to do work, it lasts for exactly one day each year. The fasting ritual associated with the Day of Atonement is nothing to be compared with the fasting rituals observed today among Christians and Muslims, most of whom do not live in the land of Canaan even at this time. undecided
Re: Reason Why Fasting Is Basically Useless by Kobojunkie: 8:31pm On Mar 18
Origin:
@OP your essay no get order, from health benefit to bible chapter to Qur'an chapter to them say them say. Muslims fast because it like prayer has been ordained by God. Period. Any benefit is just coincidental: If you at hungry won't you give more when you know how an hungry man feels. When you fast you have more energy are more lively. When you break your fast, you appreciate the available food more ( the food that has been taken for granted all this while). God said He is not in need of one's fast if one does not shun sin. So fasting is not just leaving food but leaving sins and bad behavior. A time of gratitude and nearness to God.
There is no scriptural backing for any of the benefits you claim for your starvation-diet kind of fasting — not a single one. So, let's stop this campaign by the religious to make a liar of the God of Israel and His Son, Jesus Christ, abeg! undecided

(1) (Reply)

Buda Atum Does A Frank317 / Jonas' Sign To This Evil and Adulterous Generation / Why Are Most People Running From Anglican Churches To New Generation Churches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.