Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Tiv People Are The Real Owners Of The Sokoto Caliphate - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tiv People Are The Real Owners Of The Sokoto Caliphate (1047 Views)

An Insight On The Gbagyi People: Real Owners Of Abuja / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe / Nigerian Kings Exquisite Cars At The Sokoto Durbar Yesterday (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tiv People Are The Real Owners Of The Sokoto Caliphate by phylshan: 12:36pm On Jun 02, 2017
I am Tiv from Benue State and i want my Fulani brothers to know that the Tiv people are originally the owners of what is today called Sokoto Caliphate. History is clear about this. On our way from Congo, we settled briefly in Cameroun and then some Tiv group (a faction that was not totally into farming) moved north-wards, hunting for game and settled in Sokoto, a desert area. The other group that remained in Cameroun was later met by the migrant Fulani who were on their way from Sudan. These migrants spent years with the Tiv before they both moved on. While the Tiv (a faction that was into farming) move towards the Benue valley, the Fulani moved northwards and joined the Tiv hunters in the desert . This was after the Tiv had spent about 100 years in Sokoto. A disagreement later came between them which forced the Tiv to move downwards, some are still in Sokoto, while others migrated to Gongola (now Taraba) and Plateau. However, it must be noted that the first settlers of this land were the Tiv people. History should never be forgotten or thrown away. Some day our generation or the ones ahead will ask questions regarding their land.

3 Likes

Re: Tiv People Are The Real Owners Of The Sokoto Caliphate by phylshan: 1:46pm On Jun 02, 2017
[quote author=phylshan post=57120943]I am Tiv from Benue State and i want my Fulani brothers to know that the Tiv people are originally the owners of what is today called Sokoto Caliphate. History is clear about this. On our way from Congo, we settled briefly in Cameroun and then some Tiv group (a faction that was not totally into farming) moved north-wards, hunting for game and settled in Sokoto, a desert area. The other group that remained in Cameroun was later met by the migrant Fulani who were on their way from Sudan. These migrants spent years with the Tiv before they both moved on. While the Tiv (a faction that was into farming) move towards the Benue valley, the Fulani moved northwards and joined the Tiv hunters in the desert . This was after the Tiv had spent about 100 years in Sokoto. So ordinarily, Sokoto Caliphate belongs to the Tiv people not the Fulani. What i am sure about is that the Tiv will one day claim their land and take it back from the Fulani.
Re: Tiv People Are The Real Owners Of The Sokoto Caliphate by slivertongue: 1:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
this is becoming interesting
the slave trying hard to reclaim his position from the hands of an impostor who forcefully declared himself master
Re: Tiv People Are The Real Owners Of The Sokoto Caliphate by RedboneSmith(m): 5:10pm On Jun 02, 2017
Really? No source? No linguistic or archaeological or written or verifiable oral evidence advanced? Just this?

1 Like

Re: Tiv People Are The Real Owners Of The Sokoto Caliphate by theNOISEmaker: 5:24pm On Jun 02, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Really? No source? No linguistic or archaeological or written or verifiable oral evidence advanced? Just this?
i wonder oo
Re: Tiv People Are The Real Owners Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 02, 2017
You must be drunk On burkutu.

You and whoever sold you this madness are drunkards.

He's drunk for telling you.

You're drunk for believing it.

Go and read up on history boy.
Re: Tiv People Are The Real Owners Of The Sokoto Caliphate by MetaPhysical: 12:15am On Jun 04, 2017
There is a part of truth in that Sokoto did not originally belong to Fulani.

(1) (Reply)

Benin Monarch Against Trafficking And Obaseki Inaugurates Traditional Council / The Markings On The Obelisk Of Oranmiyan Has Been Read. / King Saheed of Ikate-Elegushi Celebrating His Birthday Today. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.