Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body (35813 Views)

Why Garri Is One Of The Mostly Consumed Staples In West Africa / Farmfat Garri And Fufu / Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by kpaofame: 5:16pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:
That's why it is N500 in Ogun ibadan Ondo but N1000 in Lagos.

Have they been attacking Lagos farmers too?

Please tell us precise locations of this attacks and the number of people affected.

ayindejimmy:

Do you mind those ppl?

I've never heard of herdsmen attack in Ondo, Ogun, Oyo and Osun o!
Those Garri sellers have Union and the union dictates the price to their advantage
If the government doesn't implement price, control we'll just continue to suffer.

The measure used in these places mentioned are sometimes different..We used paint container in some part of the south and in Lagos like the one shown below while the one used in Ibadan and some other places are way smaller(half the size) and the price can not be the same...so say what you know..dont call people parents liars and crooks based on false premises

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by enomakos(m): 5:18pm On Jun 02, 2017
omoharry:
I believe these farmers..My friend that lost his job some time last year ventured into cassava farming somewhere around at Ofada, in Ogun state.. Fulani cattle continuously eat up the cassava plant until there was non left..other farmers were equally affected..he was so frustrated about it because he invested a lot of money in the whole process..He had to look for something else to do in order not to be a victim of Fulani herds men attack. These Fulani people are terrible
thank you and some people here will not believe that

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by enomakos(m): 5:21pm On Jun 02, 2017
greyboy5000:
Before it was dollars (exchange rate)...now its Fulani herdsman..tomorrow it will be because of one useless stuff. OK what of the farmers in oyo, Ogun and ondo were they also attacked . This dude needs to stop this tales by the moon light stuff
go and ask farmers in the states you just mention

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by murmee: 5:29pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

Please tell us precise locations of this attacks and the number of people affected.
The measurement in Ibadan, Ogun and Ondo is different. They use Congo (a small bowl) and two Congos is equal to one paint bucket used in Lagos.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Tonycrux: 5:32pm On Jun 02, 2017
They should tell us another thing joor, i dont know when fulani herdsmen started invading Ekiti farms.... what a pity
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by lollytk(f): 5:34pm On Jun 02, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Do you mind those ppl?

Those Garri sellers have Union and the union dictates the price to their advantage
If the government doesn't implement price, control we'll just continue to suffer.
how can govt implement price control when they don't contribute anything to help the farmers.

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Emmywilly: 5:36pm On Jun 02, 2017
Which way Nigeria? ...Imminent famine I see.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Benzy001: 5:45pm On Jun 02, 2017
obasy09:
Price of agricultural produce needs to be high to encourage farmers. Some people do virtually nothing in their offices monthly but receive humongous salaries at the end of the month while farmers that till the land for a whole year are expected to receive peanuts. That is wickedness! If you feel the price is too high, I beg, cutlass and vacant land dey everywhere (if e no dey Lagos, Abuja, Kanu, Porthacout etc, e dey your village),
go farm.
abeg ur head correct , it a shame that a country like nigeria with great agricultural potential cannot feed itself ,we depend on tailand and india for rice , and other poultry contraband , yes the issue of herdmen is a factor that need to b tackle , but we also need to b serious with farming in nigeria n i think this is rit time

2 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 02, 2017
And they are planning to increase fuel ehen, abeg o. Hungry is something i cant bear and garri is my favourite.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by fleetfeet: 5:58pm On Jun 02, 2017
Most farmers now prefer to sell their produce to the Chinese and Indians who apparently pays them more.

The issue of union is also a major factor as they tend to hike their prices arbitrarily and lay it at the foot of unstable exchange rates. There are places you can get a tuber of yam for 350/tuber, yet in lagos same tuber costs 1k-for what? The only explanation they give you is things have gone up and that's all.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by natznext(m): 5:59pm On Jun 02, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Do you mind those ppl?

I'm surprised to see likes swarming this quote,

Apartment from the burden on cassava farming shifting to the southwest causing demand to surge n eventually an increase in price

Herds men attacks have actually happened here a couple times, just not as bad as the north and doesn't receive much publicity

I actually abandoned a farm on the outskirt of Oyo last year just because of this herdsmen issue

So it's untrue to say there hasn't been no attacks here.. apart from bloody attacks, these guys trample on peoples farm indiscriminately, and they act like 'iss nothing' or '..and so what?' or they apologize and still do it again tomorrow, the hostile ones acts like deaf and dumb and just adjust their knife, I'm just sticking with livestock for now, too young to die

2 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by natznext(m): 6:03pm On Jun 02, 2017
Tonycrux:
They should tell us another thing joor, i dont know when fulani herdsmen started invading Ekiti farms.... what a pity

Google it, they actually did one time, even farms owned by the state institutions

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Seun360(m): 6:04pm On Jun 02, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Do you mind those ppl?

How much is a kobiowu of Garri in the south west?
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by sainty2k3(m): 6:29pm On Jun 02, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Do you mind those ppl?

U need to know that there are many herds men attack that doesn't make it to the public. I know of a particular place in Oyo state where their farms are being destroyed every now are then by the cows. For every one news of attack u heard there are many more unreported

2 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by omokab: 6:39pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

the question need to to ask yourself is simple. Does Lagos state produce cassava? If your answer is no, then you have asked a foolish question, because if farmers were been attacked where the garri is been produce before transporting it to Lagos definitely Lagos will be more affected than Ogun and Oyo.

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by chinedu234(m): 6:58pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

. My dear if you have ever gone to farm,you will understand what the present situation is. Unfortunately,it appears we have not seen the highest point of the price rise. I advice you to go and plant your own cassava.

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

We have a lot of problems with intellectual capacity of people on social media, the man is is talking on general terms as National President (Nigeria Cassava Growers Association).

Ordinarily, I would not have responded to this posting having noticed a lot of inexperienced and unexposed postings which made me to stop posting for a very long time.

Firstly, Garri, a custard plastic of Ijebu Garri is between =N=1,000 and above in Ogun State where I live and my state. This is also the price in Lagos. In economics, price is determined by forces of demand and supply. In Ibadan, you can never get the same garri above at 500 as quoted by you.

Coming to the issue of herdsmen attacks, the man has never said South West only as he is talking in general terms. Products move from one region to another. Herdsmen attack in the middle belt or Edo can affect product supplies to Lagos area due to population and demand.

The herdsman attack on Chief Olu Falae and various attacks that are not reported in South West because the problems have been on for a very long time. For Fayose, the Ekiti State Governor to have a sent a grazing bill to the House of Assembly shows the pains being felt by the people there.

In year 2000, when there was a fight between the Fulanis and Yorubas in Shaki after several yorubas were killed and yoruba fought back. General Buhari, Brig Gen Marwa and others came to Ibadan to read a riot order to the then Governor Lam Adesina (now late). The Governor was not moved. When Chief Falae was kidnapped, Kwankwankso former Governor of Kano State was also telling us about the strength of fulanis . I think Gen Buhari having sympathized with Fulani as one of their leaders and part of ACF in October year 2000 gives the Fulani an authority to invade any farm in Nigeria now that he is in power.

I wonder if any section of Nigeria will raise a general, a brigadier general and members of regional group to read a riot order to a governor or president over various killings by the fulanis.

Below is an online version of two newspapers that explained what happened in October 2000.

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/buhari-attacked-late-oyo-gov-2000-fulani-herdsmen/

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.culture.nigeria/6meFgnMrTf0

http://thenationonlineng.net/how-lam-prevented-another-civil-war/
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by bravesoul247(m): 7:26pm On Jun 02, 2017
subtlemee:
I tire for this country o
No offence meant but you shouldn't have used that old woman crying as meme. Sincerely no be everything person suppose use joke. Assuming it was your old woman's pic that is expressing her pain that people use as meme you go like am?
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

We have a lot of problems with intellectual capacity of people on social media, the man is is talking on general terms as National President (Nigeria Cassava Growers Association).

Ordinarily, I would not have responded to this posting having noticed a lot of inexperienced and unexposed postings which made me to stop posting for a very long time.

Firstly, Garri, a custard plastic of Ijebu Garri is between =N=1,000 and above in Ogun State where I live and my state. This is also the price in Lagos. In economics, price is determined by forces of demand and supply. In Ibadan, you can never get the same garri above at 500 as quoted by you.

Coming to the issue of herdsmen attacks, the man has never said South West only as he is talking in general terms. Products move from one region to another. Herdsmen attack in the middle belt or Edo can affect product supplies to Lagos area due to population and demand.

The herdsman attack on Chief Olu Falae and various attacks that are not reported in South West because the problems have been on for a very long time. For Fayose, the Ekiti State Governor to have a sent a grazing bill to the House of Assembly shows the pains being felt by the people there.

In year 2000, when there was a fight between the Fulanis and Yorubas in Shaki after several yorubas were killed and yoruba fought back. General Buhari, Brig Gen Marwa and others came to Ibadan to read a riot order to the then Governor Lam Adesina (now late). The Governor was not moved. When Chief Falae was kidnapped, Kwankwankso former Governor of Kano State was also telling us about the strength of fulanis . I think Gen Buhari having sympathized with Fulani as one of their leaders and part of ACF in October year 2000 gives the Fulani an authority to invade any farm in Nigeria now that he is in power.

I wonder if any section of Nigeria will raise a general, a brigadier general and members of regional group to read a riot order to a governor or president over various killings by the fulanis.

Below is an online version of two newspapers that explained what happened in October 2000.

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/buhari-attacked-late-oyo-gov-2000-fulani-herdsmen/

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.culture.nigeria/6meFgnMrTf0

http://thenationonlineng.net/how-lam-prevented-another-civil-war/

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by gevans(m): 7:50pm On Jun 02, 2017
dadavivo:
Wetin we do Buhari, food na gold now.

this picture too hash o
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Klington: 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
Buhari n ZoneBs

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Salt3: 8:00pm On Jun 02, 2017
sleemfesh:
And we have a country ready to shoot people on a peaceful protest and send military helos over areas where people decided they will stay home to commemorate a day dear to them.

Nigeria is...
So you believe this arrant nonsense bi
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by mamatwiny(f): 8:26pm On Jun 02, 2017
udysweet:
I jus tire for this country o, if I get way to relocate I will. Coincidentally I'm just heading home from oyingbo Market where I bought for 1100 paint bucket. If common garri is above the means of the common man, wetin remains mbok

U still eat garri? We stopped two months ago cos hubby wanted to reduce carb intake. Surprisingly, all other options are cheaper and have less carb. We now eat millet and guinea corn. We buy from oyigbo MKT and grind it. Sometimes, we buy wheat ( honeywell) when we don't have time to buy from oyigbo MKT.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by inquisitor: 9:01pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

Please tell us precise locations of this attacks and the number of people affectedt.
I don't think there are cassava farmers in Lagos,people bring garri to Lagos from other states and if herdsmen activities affect farmers in those states it will surely affect the price of garri in Lagos

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by subtlemee(f): 9:04pm On Jun 02, 2017
bravesoul247:
No offence meant but you shouldn't have used that old woman crying as meme. Sincerely no be everything person suppose use joke. Assuming it was your old woman's pic that is expressing her pain that people use as meme you go like am?

Take your preaching to sambisa forest or southern kaduna it will be more appreciated there,no offence meant too
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by drceejay(m): 9:09pm On Jun 02, 2017
How long will We complain about the incessant cost of Food in this Country .But however, Man must Survive.That is why Happy World Meal Gate, A Business that deals on Food, Provisions as well as Cash Rewards .Hunger is every where no doubt,but Happy World Meal Gate has been created to Put food on the table of most homes today.if u want to end this hunger and get more food,provisions as well as cash then chat me up on whatsapp on 07036874269.

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by omolayomi06: 9:13pm On Jun 02, 2017
360frolic:
According to Segun Adewumi, President of the Nigeria Cassava Growers Association, the recent reduction in cassava supply and increased cost of cassava products is due to herdsmen attacks on farms.

“It has been a very difficult time for cassava farmers in Nigeria because of the incessant attacks by herdsmen, who make it difficult for them to go to their farms.

“Farmers are afraid to go and cultivate; some farmers have lost their lives for venturing into the farms.

He said “garri”, flour, “fufu”, starch and semolina had become more costly, because these attacks caused cassava farmers to stop farming in some parts of the country.

Also, insurance firms did not compensate the affected farmers because policies taken by the farmers did not cover malicious damage to farms, he said.

A small paint bucket measure of cassava flakes, otherwise known as ‘Garri’, costs between N900 and N1,100, depending on the location in Lagos metropolis.

A 60kg bag of the commodity costs between N11,000 and N12, 500 at the Mushin Oloosa Market, depending on the quality.

http://www.newshelmng.com/2017/06/why-garri-semo-and-fufu-are-now-more.html

make God forgive me,,, buhari will not return to this country.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Rimamsirufun(m): 9:39pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

The less the farmers, the lower the product quantity. And the law of supply and demand will explain to you that for equilibrium price and quantity to be arrived at, as quantity drops, price rises, because the demand for this quantity is either the same or at worst even increasing (remember this is a "Griffen good"wink. The economics behind it I believe, explains better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Women Go To Farm With Weapon To Protect Selves From Bandits / EU Ban On Nigerian Food Exports / Cow Kills Owner In Delta Abattoir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.