Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,397 members, 7,850,416 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:53 PM

Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers (40409 Views)

Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria / Wells Carlton Hotel Sacks 200 Workers, Shutdown Operations / TVC Explains Sack Of 145 Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by opribo(m): 2:37am On Jun 03, 2017
This is a bad signal, when banks were mass sacking the minister intervened and begged them to halt as a face saving for the government, Now that the national leader could not get a life line from AMCON to keep their staff at least to show that in spite of all they were still able to pay salary upon the fact that prof is the acting presido he could not intervene. The conclusion now for me is that there is a deeper problem in this govt than meets the ordinary eyes.
Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by tonardo(m): 3:44am On Jun 03, 2017
Okay
Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by Mcreloaded(m): 7:19am On Jun 03, 2017
if you ask me the number of TV stations in Lagos is way too many compared with Edo state that has only 5 with only schools, churches and pure water factories to advertise and if they have allowed mortuary to also do advert they will make more money. Well I wonder how many TV stations are in your states.
After Lagos, Abuja, Portharcourt Edo state has the highest number of TV station true or false
Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by akaahs(m): 8:39am On Jun 03, 2017
Just waiting for the day afonjas 'll liberate themselves from d hausas . Una never see sumtin, keep romancing them.
Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by wxyz1: 8:42am On Jun 03, 2017
They succeeded in using it for their selfish propaganda against Jonathan. How will it be commercially viable when all their energy was channels toward propaganda. Channel tv is the next
Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by MichaelUweh(m): 9:20am On Jun 03, 2017
What's our business... After all a paint of garri is sold at #1500 in Enugu.. Corpers don die for here.
Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by Chukazu: 11:13am On Jun 03, 2017
Longman6:

Guy i believe channels is the best local station in Nigeria, but baba lets call a spade a spade and not a digging instrument, Channels just like most Nigerian corporation doesn't have that "Magic" of the likes of CNN or BBC. This magic isn't built on just money, it is built on innovation,strategy and passion. Christian Amanpour has been to the WAR front than most American soldiers, No Nigerian Journalist has even dared an interview with an high ranked Boko-Haram Commander, have you seen the dangers that some journalist put themselves in just to cover the 9/11 bombing. We also have passionate individuals like that in Nigeria but trust me they hardly get hired.

when you watch TV in Nigeria, you hardly learn, all this Nigeria presenters are star" conscious, Watch Hardtalk and see how Steve of BBC makes you know more about obasanjos mode, and Amanpour calls Buhari with his first name, but seun of Channels would be shouting Sir to ordinary senators.......This compromises quality.

Let me ask you how you got to know about RIchard Quest? His show is popular right? there are few quality shows on Nigerian TV which translate to few prime time for Expensive adverts.

Go check out Ajazera,CNN, CNBC and BBC, they attract only the best of Journalist, BBC took James ochole(not sure of spelling) from a Radio station in Lagos, Fareed Zakaria started working in CNN when his freelance article received national acclaim, in Nigeria people dont make it to the TV screen without some help"....

And there is no competition for breaking news, good stories among reporters in Nigeria,Just few good guys like chamballen, Maupe etc.

CNN, BBC and co write, report, broadcast and get involved in everything.... The philosophy behind them is great not just the money

Guy.. You are making a contradictory statement, by saying media is not built on money and still talking about Nigerian journalists not been able to cover wars.

First, do you really know the cost of sending one journalist to cover war?

Do you see the military helicopter that Armanpour flies on.. How many media organizations In Nigerian can afford it?

Do you think she is left alone in those dangerous situations, do know how many security and gadgets that are provided for her safety?.. You only watch videos but you don't know what goes on behind the scenes
Now if a media organization don't have the money how do they compete?

Channels has been able to proof that they have got the brain but lack resources, for example most of their very best Staff were "poached" by this same TVC and years after they have Remained stronger but TVC struggling
Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by shocks(m): 12:50pm On Jun 03, 2017
Bro, you got me laughing like crazy at "Mortuary". You do have a point though.
Mcreloaded:
if you ask me the number of TV stations in Lagos is way too many compared with Edo state that has only 5 with only schools, churches and pure water factories to advertise and if they have allowed mortuary to also do advert they will make more money. Well I wonder how many TV stations are in your states.
After Lagos, Abuja, Portharcourt Edo state has the highest number of TV station true or false

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by Longman6(m): 1:01pm On Jun 03, 2017
Chukazu:

Guy.. You are making a contradictory statement, by saying media is not built on money and still talking about Nigerian journalists not been able to cover wars.

First, do you really know the cost of sending one journalist to cover war?

Do you see the military helicopter that Armanpour flies on.. How many media organizations In Nigerian can afford it?

Do you think she is left alone in those dangerous situations, do know how many security and gadgets that are provided for her safety?.. You only watch videos but you don't know what goes on behind the scenes
Now if a media organization don't have the money how do they compete?

Channels has been able to proof that they have got the brain but lack resources, for example most of their very best Staff were "poached" by this same TVC and years after they have Remained stronger but TVC struggling

Guy, i was an intern during my NYSC in one of this so called big" Nigeria broadcasting stations, and had so how dull things are, and for your information CNN doesnt have any military aircraft neither is there any special protection for them(except the UN act that disallows killing journalists during war) she simply tags herself with the millitary. Most war reporters have died, are amputated. Explorer(a nairalander opened a topic on that sometimes ago.

CNN isnt the best in the world because they have cash, they are the best because of their brand(goodwill) and people want to identify with it, it is so funny that First Bank of Nigeria sponsors a show on the network,have you bothered to ask why not channels? if you see the number of Nigerian firms that advertise on CNN you would think you are seeing a Nigerian station...... This stations are driven by a crazy vision not channels wills broadcasting station of the year for the 10time....Channels is trying but dont ever compare it to CNN or BBC even John Momoh wont.

where was channels and TVc when Reuters and CNN broke the news about the kidnap of the Chibok girls? is that one money too? A young journalist was made to swim in moderately hot water to conduct an interview with osama Bin... just because he wanted to be the first to talk to osama, havent you noticed that the best documentries about Life in Nigeria are done by foreign journalist,( is that one money too) A BBC journalist did a series on life in Lagos exploring the happy life of poor people living in Makoko etc is that one too expensive...

Go to channels website and compare it with ordinary Ajazerra, you would see the difference.

I ask you what quality programs do we have on channels that would attract prime time advert? if channels is not careful it would go down if some one like Mo Abudu decides to expand the scope of ebonylife Tv beyond entertainment.

There is something you must know about the companies that eventually become empires: their drive isnt money but quality. CNN vision was to be the first station to run 24hrs operations on earth(the owner isnt even worth 1billion Dollars)....Channels is trying but they operate like a Nigeria firm.

There are two strategies CNN and Co are employing: Cost leadership and service differentiation
Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by Ogbodoo: 1:18pm On Jun 03, 2017
This is not a good thing to hear in this period.
They should see my signature for a job.

Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by Mustay(m): 2:14pm On Jun 03, 2017
Jahred52:
See the news I saw...

Seems TVC is restructuring

The Board of Continental Broadcasting Services Ltd. (CBS), owners of Television Continental (TVC) and Radio Continental, wishes to confirm a restructuring of its group companies. This restructuring is geared towards repositioning the business for better and greater delivery of its services to audiences and advertisers alike. In line with these changes we are reconfiguring our workforce as part of the rationale to achieve our objectives.

145 people will be affected by today's announcement.

We wish to make clear that our core channels consisting of TVC News Nigeria, TVC Entertainment and Radio Continental will now become the main focus of our business going forward where we will deliver high quality news and entertainment programmes to our audiences and advertisers across Nigeria and beyond. The winding down of TVC News Africa will allow us concentrate on these key areas of our business.

The CBS Board of Directors has also approved substantial new investment in our staff across the group of companies which will enable us substantially enhance our news and current affairs output on TVC News, entertainment programming on the market leading TVC general entertainment channel and our key radio asset Radio Continental.

For those staff members affected by today's announcement the Board of CBS Ltd. has approved a generous severance package in addition to a programme of assistance to enable them seek new employment.

For me, I think they got it wrong by expanding artificially. They should have focused on Nigeria first and gradually grow to 'Africa'. I was surprised when I saw their African reporters and learnt they were actually their staff. I was like, these guys have money. Question is, what drives them? Who's their competitor? Where do they aim to be?

Like I have stated in previous threads, TVC is tainted by ownership bias but gradually, if they push things right, they will turn it into a strength. Of all local stations, they are presently the ones giving Channels a run for their money. I feel they should focus on first 'kicking' Channels of the perch before Africa what have you. It takes time but consistency prevails and they've got funding behind them. In summary, the Africa option was wasteful expenditure, which if was used to fund the Nigerian stations, will aid growth.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's TVC Sacks 145 Workers by Chukazu: 3:33pm On Jun 03, 2017
Longman6:

Guy, i was an intern during my NYSC in one of this so called big" Nigeria broadcasting stations, and had so how dull things are, and for your information CNN doesnt have any military aircraft neither is there any special protection for them(except the UN act that disallows killing journalists during war) she simply tags herself with the millitary. Most war reporters have died, are amputated. Explorer(a nairalander opened a topic on that sometimes ago.

CNN isnt the best in the world because they have cash, they are the best because of their brand(goodwill) and people want to identify with it, it is so funny that First Bank of Nigeria sponsors a show on the network,have you bothered to ask why not channels? if you see the number of Nigerian firms that advertise on CNN you would think you are seeing a Nigerian station...... This stations are driven by a crazy vision not channels wills broadcasting station of the year for the 10time....Channels is trying but dont ever compare it to CNN or BBC even John Momoh wont.

where was channels and TVc when Reuters and CNN broke the news about the kidnap of the Chibok girls? is that one money too? A young journalist was made to swim in moderately hot water to conduct an interview with osama Bin... just because he wanted to be the first to talk to osama, havent you noticed that the best documentries about Life in Nigeria are done by foreign journalist,( is that one money too) A BBC journalist did a series on life in Lagos exploring the happy life of poor people living in Makoko etc is that one too expensive...

Go to channels website and compare it with ordinary Ajazerra, you would see the difference.

I ask you what quality programs do we have on channels that would attract prime time advert? if channels is not careful it would go down if some one like Mo Abudu decides to expand the scope of ebonylife Tv beyond entertainment.

There is something you must know about the companies that eventually become empires: their drive isnt money but quality. CNN vision was to be the first station to run 24hrs operations on earth(the owner isnt even worth 1billion Dollars)....Channels is trying but they operate like a Nigeria firm.

There are two strategies CNN and Co are employing: Cost leadership and service differentiation

Bro Ted Turner is a billionaire!!!
I never said that channels is competing with CNN, I said if they have the resources

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Deadly Habits That Will Make You Unsuccessful And Struggle Eternally / Is Exxon Mobil The Highest Paying Multinational Oil Firm In Nigeria For 2018? / Benue, Kogi, Plateau Pay Civil Servants High Despite Poor Revenue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.