Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,039 members, 7,838,601 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

Record Breaker: Five-year-old Becomes Youngest Ever At National Spelling Bee - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Record Breaker: Five-year-old Becomes Youngest Ever At National Spelling Bee (356 Views)

Servicom Cds Sokoto Chapter Host Her First Spelling Bee Competition / Nigerian Becomes Youngest Senior Lecturer In UK University / 29-year-old Becomes India’s First Transgender Judge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Record Breaker: Five-year-old Becomes Youngest Ever At National Spelling Bee by web2safe(m): 2:43pm On Jun 02, 2017

A five-year-old Oklahoma girl has made history by becoming the youngest person ever to qualify for the Scripps National Spelling Bee.

Edith Fuller correctly spelled "jnana" to beat more than 50 contestants in the Scripps Green Country Regional Spelling Bee in Tulsa.

She also cracked the words Panglossian, Baedeker, nisei and Croesus.

The young spelling master will head to Washington in May to compete with other children across the country.

Can you spell better than a five-year-old?

Here are the words Edith aced on her way to glory:

Jnana is a Sanskrit word for "knowledge" in Indian philosophy and religion.

Panglossian describes someone who is excessively optimistic, regardless of circumstances.

Baedeker is a guidebook, originating from the series of travel guidebooks by German publisher Karl Baedeker.

Nisei is an American or Canadian whose parents were immigrants from Japan.

Croesus is a very wealthy person. Croesus was the last king of Lydia (c560 - 546 BC) famed for his wealth.

Sarsaparilla is a tropical American climbing plant, or a sweet drink flavoured with the root of this plant.

The National Spelling Bee is open to contestants who have not finished the eighth grade. There is no minimum age to compete.

"I feel thankful," she said after winning the regional competition on Saturday.

Edith, who is home-schooled, faced off against competitors from primary and middle schools throughout northeast Oklahoma.

"It's fun to share her with everyone," said Annie Fuller, her mother.

"I knew she'd be a novelty, so I'm proud she held her own."
Sources: http://www.skyevibes.com/showthread.php?tid=118

Re: Record Breaker: Five-year-old Becomes Youngest Ever At National Spelling Bee by WatchinginHD(m): 2:44pm On Jun 02, 2017
kkkkkk i did such too

(1) (Reply)

Two Chibok Girls Graduate From U.S. High School / Latest Information: For Your Perfect House Design,construction & Approval In Nig / Will Nigeria Still Be The Same After October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.