Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,733 members, 7,824,066 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union (7668 Views)

Covenant University Suspended Student For Drinking Coke With Two Straws / Cultists In Polytechnic Ibadan: Students On The Run / University Of Ibadan Students Protest Against Management Amid Heavy Security (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by EzeeYFB(m): 9:16am On Jun 03, 2017
opinchinoo:
University Of Ibadan Students Drag Vice Chancellor To Twitter, Demand Restoration Of Suspended Students’ Union

The students of the University Of Ibadan have taken to social media, particularly Twitter, to agitate against the ‘illegal’ suspension of the varsity students’ union body.  Also part of their demands was the restoration of all students who were rusticated for taking part in protests, at various times.

BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORKJUN 02, 2017

The students of the University Of Ibadan have taken to social media, particularly Twitter, to agitate against the ‘illegal’ suspension of the varsity students’ union body.

Also part of their demands was the restoration of all students who were rusticated for taking part in protests, at various times.

On Tuesday, the Vice Chancellor, Professor Idowu Olayinka, announced the suspension of the students union on the institution radio station, DiamondFM, following series of events that transpired between the university management and the student leaders after the school was shut down as a result of a peaceful protest led by the students’ union leaders. 

Thousands of Unibadan students, in solidarity with some alumni and sympathizers, hit Twitter with the hashtag #OlayinkaMisfihashtagash tag, with over five thousand tweets, was trending on twitter between 8pm-10pm yesterday.

Here are some of the tweets; 

Some of the old students also took a jibe at the former Vice chancellor of the institution, Professor Isaac Adewole who is now Nigeria’s Minister for Health, with the #AdewoleUitesAreComingForYou.

Students’ union president, Ojo Aderemi in a statement made available has claimed that the management has failed to provide the students with Identity cards for the past two sessions.  

Saharareporters gathered that the students, who are about 40,000, paid N2000 each for the ID card that was never issued to them over the last two years.

“At the Congress, it was resolved among others, that the Student's Identity Card, which is a standing levy in the Fees of every Student must be received before Examinations commence, not only have greatest Uites paid for our I.D Cards for two sessions now, we have been patient with the management that long” he said.

Aderemi added; “In fact, even when the fees fraudulently skyrocketed for no given reason from 650 naira last session to 2000 naira this session, an increment of over 200 percent, Uites still remained patient”

However, the university management said a date had been fixed to ensure that all the students get their ID cards, adding that the May 29 protest was unnecessary.

It will be recalled that about this time last year, the student were in a similar media combat with the VC, demanding his resignation after he shutdown the school over a protest and allegedly got two past union presidents arrested for taking part in the students’ protest.

On April 26th, 2016, the management closed the school following a two-day protest against what the students perceived as unjust rustication of Tunji Epketi Micheal aka "MOTE," a 500 level student of Petroleum Engineering who was accused of taking part in a protest while he ought to be on internship.

Our correspondent also gathered that the two past union presidents, who are currently running their Masters program in the University, were also rusticated for two semesters

http://saharareporters.com/2017/06/02/university-ibadan-students-drag-vice-chancellor-twitter-demand-restoration-suspended
this is bad na
Haba.
I just hope the students what they want
Can imagine final year students going through this now,
God help ur course guys
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 03, 2017
neolboy:

Can you listen to your trash? they are students and can only channel their anger to what's concern them at the moment, why not you channel yours to the government since you are a graduate
Sir, If you have anything better to say, click on the "reply" button at the bottom of the page and don't quote me. If you want to say anything rude then PM me. I love hearing them live and not online.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by deeptechcool(m): 9:20am On Jun 03, 2017
dirtymoney:
So they were protesting against non-issuance of N,2000 ID card? And the disbandment of their SUG...
Funny where Nigerian youths channel their energy to.
There are a million and one relevant issues that require that energy right now in this country. Channel your energy to them, if Nigeria was a better country, I doubt if your VC would be in that position, and better still protest over non issuance of ID would never be on the news.

Your post reeks of moral deficiency. Having no value for what has been paid for is not worth agitating for? For your information, ID cards are not only meant for immediate recognition as students but also for many educational processes and grants.
Did you read the part where the union leader said a student was denied over 5000$ educational grant because he couldn't provide ID card that identifies him as a current student of the institution?
Please, always endeavour to crosscheck posts before being made public because they really show the type of person behind the anonymous moniker.
Peace.

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Nobody: 9:41am On Jun 03, 2017
deeptechcool:

Your post reeks of moral deficiency. Having no value for what has been paid for is not worth agitating for? For your information, ID cards are not only meant for immediate recognition as students but also for many educational processes and grants.
Did you read the part where the union leader said a student was denied over 5000$ educational grant because he couldn't provide ID card that identifies him as a current student of the institution?
Please, always endeavour to crosscheck posts before being made public because they really show the type of person behind the anonymous moniker.
Peace.
My point is, there are better things to agitate for in the university and country at large. First should have been the value of education they paid for. I registered for a National ID in 2013 and till date NIMC are yet to produce the card. Should I go protesting like there aren't worse things to draw the government's attention to? Hell No.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Hardeysolution(m): 9:54am On Jun 03, 2017
I just hate student union government.. ..thank God lag doesn't have too.. .. U better go to school and forget unionism
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by calberian: 9:56am On Jun 03, 2017
dirtymoney:
So they were protesting against non-issuance of N,2000 ID card? And the disbandment of their SUG...
There are a million and one relevant issues that require that energy right now in this country. Channel your energy to them, if Nigeria was a better country, I doubt if your VC would be in that position, and better still protest over non issuance of ID would never be on the news.

PS
All those quoting me to vent their frustrations and anger.
My point is, there are better things to agitate for in the university and country at large. First should have been the value of education they paid for. I registered for a National ID in 2013 and till date NIMC are yet to produce the card. Should I go protesting like there aren't worse things to draw the government's attention to? Or do you think its fun going to get an International passport just for Identity purpose? Hell No.

For all intents and purposes, there are alternatives to the National ID card. I own one but I have never ever used it. My drivers licence and international passport have always sufficed since they're much easier to replace/renew.

I look in retrospect at certain events in my life as a student and wonder how I'd have been able to proceed through such points without a student ID and I understand the said students' plight. There's just no alternative.

No, you don't need to enrol in school to understand why they placed such value on the ID card.

You just need to understand that the things we attach much value to might be worthless to some while some of the things we kid about with could actually make a difference in some other people's lives. And you need to respect that.

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Babamide(m): 10:17am On Jun 03, 2017
A means of identification is the most important document anyone should possess. As an undergraduate in Nigeria, the easiest form is the school id card. Driver's license and international passport are too expensive for the average Nigerian student.
That aside, what gives people in authority such as Vice chancellors the right to behave like military government? How can u suspend and rusticate over a peaceful protest? So human beings can no longer fight for and demand for their right; something they paid for. I cannot imagine any right thinking person condoning this act.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by calberian: 10:23am On Jun 03, 2017
Babamide:
A means of identification is the most important document anyone should possess. As an undergraduate in Nigeria, the easiest form is the school id card. Driver's license and international passport are too expensive for the average Nigerian student.
That aside, what gives people in authority such as Vice chancellors the right to behave like military government? How can u suspend and rusticate over a peaceful protest? So human beings can no longer fight for and demand for their right; something they paid for. I cannot imagine any right thinking person condoning this act.

You're right my brother but even these alternatives don't state what school the student is from, or what department or level he/she is in. They don't carry matriculation number. They just say "Occupation: Student"

2 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by hellohgy(m): 10:47am On Jun 03, 2017
This post of a student union leader is something else sha.....

Imagine a final year student rusticated becos of participating in strike ...SMH..

Most of the student Union leaders are at last rusticated.......

Nigeria is such a laughable country.......SMH
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Priest69(m): 12:38pm On Jun 03, 2017
dirtymoney:
Oya Mr. Know it all. Kukuma join them bunch of cowards and fight for ID card and SUG when you finish, retire to the shithole called hostels and classrooms.
Lol.. I never claim to know it all. UI is my almamata. I participated in protests during my time there, some were fruitful and some weren't. I also protested against the removal of subsidy by the federal govt with UISU, it might seem nothing or meaningless to you but some group of persons are expressing their displeasure while some are condemning. Don't quote me on this topic cause you don't have anything positive to say. Just sit with your dirty soul and count your dirty money
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Hexzagon: 1:27pm On Jun 03, 2017
dirtymoney:
There are a million and one relevant issues that require that energy right now in this country. Channel your energy to them, if Nigeria was a better country
, I doubt if your VC would be in that position, and better still protest over non issuance of ID would never be on the news.

PS
All those quoting me to vent their frustrations and anger.
My point is, there are better things to agitate for in the university and country at large. First should have been the value of education they paid for. I registered for a National ID in 2013 and till date NIMC are yet to produce the card. Should I go protesting like there aren't worse things to draw the government's attention to? Or do you think its fun going to get an International passport just for Identity purpose? Hell No.

So I was thinking until I heard the full story from the students themselves, part of it being that they wouldn't be allowed into the exam hall if they don't have the said i.d they've paid twice for and haven't gotten.

For the bolded, I'll say that's rather myopic of you, they are agitating for something all little as that that affects them directly and it's this difficult, you expect them to channel their energy on something much more bigger than "ordinary I.D" as you're insunuating.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Marcelo290(m): 4:15pm On Jun 03, 2017
dirtymoney:
Even if the VC was the devil himself, he wont think of collecting that sum without delivering IDs to students. I can authoritatively tell you that IDs will be delivered to students, although not of that value. I registered for a National ID in 2013 even though it was for free, and till date NIM are yet to produce a copy for me. These things are ills of the failed system we find ourselves in. Overhaul the entire system and see things work.
Since they are ills of the failed system, they should sit down and continue suffering and smiling? what exactly is your point? So you know better than their alumnus who even joined them in the hash tag? from all indications it is obvious you never saw the four walls of the University because all your comments reeks of ignorance.. Their protest was to correct that very ill Mr Man, that is what we call the aluta struggle.

Now stop making a fool of yourself, also stop bringing up useless analogies about your failed ID bla bla cos it's not adding up, they ain't zombies that would keep quiet, if it isn't important to you, it is important them, didn't it occur to you that some may have graduated without getting what they paid for?

Your type is what we need to extricate totally from our society..

#spits
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by adedavids(m): 8:20am On Jun 04, 2017
UI should go learn from GREATIFE.... On how to protest. We protest bigger evil schemes and not just non-issuance of IDs. OAU will never pay 1k for IDs in the first place...

Greatest GbagbA

Wait for calvary from Ife for soliderity. Am sure the lefts are delibrating how to come to your rescue.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 06, 2017
Marcelo290:
Since they are ills of the failed system, they should sit down and continue suffering and smiling? what exactly is your point? So you know better than their alumnus who even joined them in the hash tag? from all indications it is obvious you never saw the four walls of the University because all your comments reeks of ignorance.. Their protest was to correct that very ill Mr Man, that is what we call the aluta struggle.

Now stop making a fool of yourself, also stop bringing up useless analogies about your failed ID bla bla cos it's not adding up, they ain't zombies that would keep quiet, if it isn't important to you, it is important them, didn't it occur to you that some may have graduated without getting what they paid for?

Your type is what we need to extricate totally from our society..

#spits
I live with reality.
I don't beat dead horses!!!
And extricate from society??
Mr. We don't share one and never will.
Spitting shows how responsible you are and how much your society would look like.
On to better things.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Nobody: 9:32am On Jun 06, 2017
Priest69:

Lol.. I never claim to know it all. UI is my almamata. I participated in protests during my time there, some were fruitful and some weren't. I also protested against the removal of subsidy by the federal govt with UISU, it might seem nothing or meaningless to you but some group of persons are expressing their displeasure while some are condemning. Don't quote me on this topic cause you don't have anything positive to say. Just sit with your dirty soul and count your dirty money
You and your likes are nothing but ignorant cowards!!! Let me first educate you: "Dirtymoney" was Diddy's crew that did the album "Last Train to Paris." Its got nothing to with the person and hands behind this computer screen. And my final words - I don't indulge in online rants.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2014/2015 ATBU Admission Thread(the Great Balewite Lets Meet Here) / FOI: Nigerian Universities Ignore Enquiries On Sexual Harassment Cases / Photos With Creepy Back Stories{GORE}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.