Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,994 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union (7652 Views)

Covenant University Suspended Student For Drinking Coke With Two Straws / Cultists In Polytechnic Ibadan: Students On The Run / University Of Ibadan Students Protest Against Management Amid Heavy Security (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by opinchinoo(m): 8:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
University Of Ibadan Students Drag Vice Chancellor To Twitter, Demand Restoration Of Suspended Students’ Union

The students of the University Of Ibadan have taken to social media, particularly Twitter, to agitate against the ‘illegal’ suspension of the varsity students’ union body.  Also part of their demands was the restoration of all students who were rusticated for taking part in protests, at various times.

BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORKJUN 02, 2017

The students of the University Of Ibadan have taken to social media, particularly Twitter, to agitate against the ‘illegal’ suspension of the varsity students’ union body.

Also part of their demands was the restoration of all students who were rusticated for taking part in protests, at various times.

On Tuesday, the Vice Chancellor, Professor Idowu Olayinka, announced the suspension of the students union on the institution radio station, DiamondFM, following series of events that transpired between the university management and the student leaders after the school was shut down as a result of a peaceful protest led by the students’ union leaders. 

Thousands of Unibadan students, in solidarity with some alumni and sympathizers, hit Twitter with the hashtag #OlayinkaMisfihashtagash tag, with over five thousand tweets, was trending on twitter between 8pm-10pm yesterday.

Here are some of the tweets; 

Some of the old students also took a jibe at the former Vice chancellor of the institution, Professor Isaac Adewole who is now Nigeria’s Minister for Health, with the #AdewoleUitesAreComingForYou.

Students’ union president, Ojo Aderemi in a statement made available has claimed that the management has failed to provide the students with Identity cards for the past two sessions.  

Saharareporters gathered that the students, who are about 40,000, paid N2000 each for the ID card that was never issued to them over the last two years.

“At the Congress, it was resolved among others, that the Student's Identity Card, which is a standing levy in the Fees of every Student must be received before Examinations commence, not only have greatest Uites paid for our I.D Cards for two sessions now, we have been patient with the management that long” he said.

Aderemi added; “In fact, even when the fees fraudulently skyrocketed for no given reason from 650 naira last session to 2000 naira this session, an increment of over 200 percent, Uites still remained patient”

However, the university management said a date had been fixed to ensure that all the students get their ID cards, adding that the May 29 protest was unnecessary.

It will be recalled that about this time last year, the student were in a similar media combat with the VC, demanding his resignation after he shutdown the school over a protest and allegedly got two past union presidents arrested for taking part in the students’ protest.

On April 26th, 2016, the management closed the school following a two-day protest against what the students perceived as unjust rustication of Tunji Epketi Micheal aka "MOTE," a 500 level student of Petroleum Engineering who was accused of taking part in a protest while he ought to be on internship.

Our correspondent also gathered that the two past union presidents, who are currently running their Masters program in the University, were also rusticated for two semesters

http://saharareporters.com/2017/06/02/university-ibadan-students-drag-vice-chancellor-twitter-demand-restoration-suspended

2 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by StrawberryGloss(f): 9:04pm On Jun 02, 2017
Whats a school without student union?

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by opinchinoo(m): 10:08pm On Jun 02, 2017
StrawberryGloss:
Whats a school without student union?
don't mind Dat vc

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by opinchinoo(m): 10:09pm On Jun 02, 2017
He is behaving like a tyrant

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by kolikay(m): 7:26am On Jun 03, 2017
Land for sale
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by sumtin4sure(m): 7:26am On Jun 03, 2017
Don't mind him

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Nobody: 7:27am On Jun 03, 2017
So they were protesting against non-issuance of N,2000 ID card? And the disbandment of their SUG...
Funny where Nigerian youths channel their energy to.
There are a million and one relevant issues that require that energy right now in this country. Channel your energy to them, if Nigeria was a better country, I doubt if your VC would be in that position, and better still protest over non issuance of ID would never be on the news.

PS
All those quoting me to vent their frustrations and anger.
My point is, there are better things to agitate for in the university and country at large. First should have been the value of education they paid for. I registered for a National ID in 2013 and till date NIMC are yet to produce the card. Should I go protesting like there aren't worse things to draw the government's attention to? Or do you think its fun going to get an International passport just for Identity purpose? Hell No.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by caxlani: 7:27am On Jun 03, 2017
Good
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by chiefolododo(m): 7:31am On Jun 03, 2017
Ni

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by opeolu202: 7:32am On Jun 03, 2017
angrye pele embarassed but dem suppose hang DAT vc ni o
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by samtee37(m): 7:36am On Jun 03, 2017
Turning Nigeria campus back to military regime undecided

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by SexyNairalander: 7:38am On Jun 03, 2017
booked
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Adekorya: 7:41am On Jun 03, 2017
Organising a protest is now illegal right?

And the same set of people that are rusticating student are more radical than present days students during their onw days as a student.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by holluphemydavid(m): 7:42am On Jun 03, 2017
I dnt tink social media agitation can restore back...... Dey shud still embark on physical protest dats wot Aluta is all abt, Aluta continual, Victoria Asceta, Amala Awelu

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Nobody: 7:52am On Jun 03, 2017
dirtymoney:
So they were protesting against non-issuance of N,2000 ID card? And the disbandment of their SUG...
There are a million and one relevant issues that require that energy right now in this country. Channel your energy to them, if Nigeria was a better country, I doubt if your VC would be in that position, and better still protest over non issuance of ID would never be on the news.
You no go understand

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by sathel(m): 7:59am On Jun 03, 2017
this is an hoshwog
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Priest69(m): 8:00am On Jun 03, 2017
dirtymoney:
Is fighting the vc not fighting the federal government indirectly? Which protest(s) have you embarked on to fight the government? You just sit with your dirty money and condemn students fighting for their right

9 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 03, 2017
Priest69:

Is fighting the vc not fighting the federal government indirectly? Which protest(s) have you embarked on to fight the government? You just sit with your dirty money and condemn students fighting for their right
Oya Mr. Know it all. Kukuma join them bunch of cowards and fight for ID card and SUG when you finish, retire to the shithole called hostels and classrooms.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by AdultMaleNegro(m): 8:25am On Jun 03, 2017
dirtymoney:

Bro 40000 Students * 2000 = #80000000

Next time you look at issues critically before condemning people please.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by siie: 8:38am On Jun 03, 2017
Why do everyone just feel like a god at their given post? ..even cleaner sef grin ..why
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Nobody: 8:43am On Jun 03, 2017
AdultMaleNegro:

Bro 40000 Students * 2000 = #80000000

Next time you look at issues critically before condemning people please.
Even if the VC was the devil himself, he wont think of collecting that sum without delivering IDs to students. I can authoritatively tell you that IDs will be delivered to students, although not of that value. I registered for a National ID in 2013 even though it was for free, and till date NIM are yet to produce a copy for me. These things are ills of the failed system we find ourselves in. Overhaul the entire system and see things work.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by ishowdotgmail(m): 8:43am On Jun 03, 2017
This is occurring again?

After her suspension over a long period of time wch was resurrected in 2011. Sincerely speaking, Prof. Olayinka is a sadist, one of the worst VC UI had ever produced.

Shiiiioooor undecided

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by seguntijan(m): 8:52am On Jun 03, 2017
The police commissioner told University of Ibadan SUG excos they will pick corpses if the students carried out the May 29 demonstration against the school authorities according to student excos.I think the call log should be made public,why should a police commissioner who is a father being paid out of public coffers issue such a reckless,inhuman and barbaric statement?UI V-C Prof Olayinka should face issues and clear the student ID card mess among others,enough of this incompetence.From Unilag to UI,the dictators in academic gowns and garbs are really messing up.

2 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by neolboy(m): 8:54am On Jun 03, 2017
dirtymoney:

Can you listen to your trash? they are students and can only channel their anger to what's concern them at the moment, why not you channel yours to the government since you are a graduate

5 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 03, 2017
UI is gradually losing its values
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Demand Restoration Of Suspended Student's Union by olaezebala: 8:54am On Jun 03, 2017
dirtymoney:
Even if the VC was the devil himself, he wont think of collecting that sum without delivering IDs to students. I can authoritatively tell you that IDs will be delivered to students, although not of that value. I registered for a National ID in 2013 even though it was for free, and till date NIM are yet to produce a copy for me. These things are ills of the failed system we find ourselves in. Overhaul the entire system and see things work.
This is actually the second academic year they paid for ID card without getting them

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Cannot Seé Result Because NO BIOMETRIC Verification...what Can We Do / NIJ Appoints Kalesanwo First Female Registrar (Photos) / Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.