Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,387 members, 7,853,730 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 10:42 PM

MLK Day USA - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / MLK Day USA (871 Views)

Obama, Inauguration, Oath, Lincoln, Mlk, Bible, Historic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MLK Day USA by isalegan2: 7:02pm On Jan 18, 2010
Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday observance and Celebrations going on. 

How do you observe the day?

Anyone watching the King Center celebration on tv or online?

On the TV Show, persons of interest:
Kasim Reed, new Atlanta Mayor;
Bernice King, new President of SCLC;
Professor and author Cornell West.
Re: MLK Day USA by isalegan2: 5:47pm On Jan 16, 2012
MLK Day Service - Jan 16, 2012

Being broadcast on a local tv station, started at 10am eastern time.

Missed the first hour.  It's always a lot of fun and inspirational too.

(Already in progress):

Some youth, dressed in different international costumes, are saying prayers mixed with words of/about Dr. King.

Bernice King (looks like she is the MC) takes the podium briefly, says the old saying, "behind every successful man there is a strong woman." is wrong.  It should be "BESIDE every strong man, there is a strong woman."  Some words about her mother and what she said about her commitment and marriage not only to MLK but to the movement.
Re: MLK Day USA by isalegan2: 5:56pm On Jan 16, 2012
Re: MLK Day USA by isalegan2: 10:27pm On Jan 16, 2012
Since today is a government holiday and a public holiday for most in the USA, as is expected, there is a number of documentaries airing on tv about Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

One of the enduring topics is whether James Earl Ray acted alone.  Just as in the JFK assassination, many feel that there was definitely a conspiracy in the King assassination as well.

I have come to believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.  I know I know, it is an insult and an affront to suggest to some Americans of a certain age, that "the single bullet theory" might have some credibility.  To them it's "the MAGIC BULLET theory." lol

Nevertheless, I am convinced Oswald acted alone in the JFK shooting.  I am also leaning to the viewpoint that Ray also acted alone in MLK's murder.  That is a harder one to be sure of, since so many wanted the man dead.  And J. Edgar Hoover at the FBI had a special and enduring hatred for King.  The lowlife lifelong closeted freak!  Oh well, back to the topic.

Do you believe that the right man, and lone shooter, was convicted for the death of Reverend King?

This is also a time when we're wont to wonder what King would have accomplished were the to have lived past his 38th birthday.  (I recall reading that he was under so much stress he actually had the heart of a 60-year-old man when he passed.)
Re: MLK Day USA by paniki(m): 4:44pm On Jan 17, 2012
Has MLK's dream come true?

(1) (Reply)

Herman Cain's embarrassing Libya moment / INCREDIBLE: Italian Lawmakers Hold Same-sex Kiss In Parliament To Protest Anti-g / Miss Universe Faces 2 Years Jail Term In India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.