Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,918 members, 7,817,691 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON (6654 Views)

Glomobile To Be Disconnected From Airtel Networks In 10 Days' Time. / Glo Is a Game Changer Of Nigeria’s ICT Industry – Alton Chairman / 10 States, Face Telecoms Network Blackout — GSM Operators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by alphonsojaybaz: 6:34am On Jun 03, 2017
TELECOMS INDUSTRY LOST 21 OPERATORS IN 10 YEARS – ALTON
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/06/telecoms-industry-lost-21-operators-in.html

The Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) says 21 telecommunications operators have gone into extinction in the country in the last 10 years.
ALTON Chairman, Mr Gbenga Adebayo made this known during the ”Broadband Summit 2017”, organised by BusinessDay Media Ltd., on Friday in Lagos.
Adebayo said that the operators businesses went under due to the economic and operational challenges inherent in the industry.
He said that as at 2006, ALTON had 35 members, but between 2007 to date, its members had reduced to 14.
According to him, if care is not taken, more service providers might still close shop before the end of year.
The ALTON Chairman said that the operators which had exited the Nigerian telecommunications space include Multilinks, Starcomms and O’Net.
“The economic challenges include poor power generation, multiple taxation, exorbitant Right of Way levies, insecurity and over-regulation among others.
“The operational issues are anti-competition and lack of fund to roll out,” he said.

Adebayo said that the cost of getting the Right of Way was over 60 per cent of the total amount to putting up the infrastructure.
He said that within the last five months, the surviving operators lost over 20,000 batteries to theft and vandals at their base stations.
The ALTON Chairman said that some of the batteries, according to investigations carried out, were sold to some inverter operators in the country.
Adebayo called on government at all levels to protect the sector because of its immense contribution to the growth of the economy.
“Until we are able to classify the telecommunications infrastructure as Critical National Infrastructure, the problems will persist.
“There should be sanction of long term prison service for vandals of telecommunications infrastructure. If there is severe sanction, it will serve as deterrent,” he said.

1 Like

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 03, 2017
85% of this boils down to failure of our government.
Even the NCC who claim to regulate things in this sector are regulating their pockets.

To the poster above me. You wan chop ban. How did you get data to move from one thread to another? Pray to God for help. Even many nairalanders like me are broke.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by opeolu202: 7:35am On Jun 03, 2017
nawa...Nigerians and criminalistic tendencies...

1 Like

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by oganass(m): 7:35am On Jun 03, 2017
fu*ked up countrt cry[color=#000099][/color]

1 Like

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by lekjons(m): 7:36am On Jun 03, 2017
The days of Visafone free browsing on blackberry and N1 per min. grin

2 Likes

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by Ezedon(m): 7:36am On Jun 03, 2017
wetin consign me
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by samtee37(m): 7:36am On Jun 03, 2017
Na now they can talk Àbi, .. Where were they when those network providers where siphoning person money anyhow without any reason undecided

1 Share

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by joggler(m): 7:40am On Jun 03, 2017
Ok
grin
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by wickyyolo: 7:41am On Jun 03, 2017
ify0051:
having the mind to win and making money call or whatsapp me with the number in the picture below.....

Lazy Arrow
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by sanandreas(m): 7:41am On Jun 03, 2017
Seun please do something about those advertising football bet on threads. It is so annoying.

7 Likes

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by gift01: 7:42am On Jun 03, 2017
No comment

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by mambani: 7:43am On Jun 03, 2017
sanandreas:
Seun please do something about those advertising football bet on threads. It is so annoying.

You can also help by reporting such posts. They violate rule 16 of Nairaland

3 Likes

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by GeneralOjukwu: 7:44am On Jun 03, 2017
sanandreas:

LOL. I know understand why foreigners complain so much about in-your-face advertising one is forced to watch.

It's just obvious that the MODs don't do what they are paid to do. It should be part of their job descriptions. There shouldn't be such an advert on at least the first 2 pages. Every time a post is to be pushed to FP, the MOD checks and instantly bans such an account....

Back to the story...it's simply survival of the fittest. Those companies went under because they didn't do their market surveys well. They underestimated the dynamics of the market place.

2 Likes

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by MrBONE2(m): 7:45am On Jun 03, 2017
lekjons:
The days of Visafone free browsing on blackberry and N1 per min. grin
Wanna port right away to join you Brother. grin
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by MrBONE2(m): 7:46am On Jun 03, 2017
settingz007:
A major issue that caused this is wrong Government policies. Believe me I was a victim, i lost my job due to these wrong Government policies on telecommunications industry.

Let me. Use this FTC to declare my intention

Meanwhile Read the below

fellow nairalanders Pls am really confuse and tired.
Am a student who is striving alone by himself.
Am currently in HND 1, studying Estate management.
I lost my job 3 months ago cus it's a contract job.
Now to pay school fee and feeding will be a miracle.
I searched for part time jobs almost everywhere.
Fellow nairalanders, am confused, depressed and pessimistic right now. If only I can see someone to invest in my education for this remaining sessions, then I promise repay either in cash or in kind.
Pls help me, any thing that will be of help will be appreciated.
My number is in my signature
For GOBE grin
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by sanandreas(m): 7:48am On Jun 03, 2017
mambani:

You can also help by reporting such posts. They violate rule 16 of Nairaland

I do report. They are like legions and they come with different monikers.
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 03, 2017
sanandreas:

They spoil thread

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by sanandreas(m): 7:50am On Jun 03, 2017
OrestesDante:

They spoil thread

Honestly. When u expect to read something meaningful, you just start seeing slips everywhere. They should buy nairaland ads.

1 Like

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 03, 2017
sanandreas:

Honestly. When u expect to read something meaningful, you just start seeing slips everywhere. They should buy nairaland ads.

They also consume data.

3 Likes

Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by caxlani: 7:59am On Jun 03, 2017
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by johnjay4u2u(m): 7:59am On Jun 03, 2017
I will replace them all
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by Pronmix(m): 8:46am On Jun 03, 2017
samtee37:
Na now they can talk Àbi, .. Where were they when those network providers where siphoning person money anyhow without any reason undecided
Actually these were the reasons. It's a business, and in business you stay to make profits now think of those ones with all the freebies and see how they closed shop. Starcomms, Multilinks and the likes. The siphoning wasn't funny but our failed government put it upon us.
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by countryfive: 8:47am On Jun 03, 2017
gift01:
No comment

this post get meaning?
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by MistadeRegal(m): 8:53am On Jun 03, 2017
wickyyolo:

Lazy arrow go back to your sender! Lazy arrow go back to your sender!

(Runs out of thread).
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by wickyyolo: 8:56am On Jun 03, 2017
fussy25:
We all see or hear of people winning sure games most times, they win because they get predictions from right sources, winning has been a real thing for those who get my fixed CS games do it from the right framework..subscribe and win see details of won ticket below

Lazy pikin
Re: Telecoms Industry Lost 21 Operators In 10 Years – ALTON by johnjose68: 10:04am On Jun 03, 2017
opeolu202:
nawa...Nigerians and criminalistic tendencies...

He said that within the last five months, the surviving operators lost over 20,000 batteries to theft and vandals at their base stations.The ALTON Chairman said that some of the batteries, according to investigations carried out, were sold to some inverter operators in the country.

Someone should ask my Igbo brothers how the batteries are being stolen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

MTN Latest 0.0kb Free Browsing Cheat On 24clan VPN Pro / Please Help Unlock LG MS323 Imei / Used Tecno Wx3 For Sale In Ibadan, Only Serious Buyer Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.