Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,446 members, 7,830,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Why Has These Crimes Against Humanity Been Ignored Since After The War - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Has These Crimes Against Humanity Been Ignored Since After The War (696 Views)

EFCC Declares 'war' On 'the Home Of Cyber Crimes' LAUTECH / Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC / Man Gets Accused Of Rape By Lady He Ignored For His Laptop (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Has These Crimes Against Humanity Been Ignored Since After The War by Denko2721987(m): 2:14pm On Jun 03, 2017
These questions just popped out of my mind and has got me wondering and kind of perplexed even since..

Now, i am not asking these question in order to prejudice or intentionally raise dust that’l set-off some tribal e-wars on here like has become the norm on nairaland, so e-warriors from the East and West coasts please behave and respect yourselves or simply be spectators cool angry.

Secondly, i am not asking these question because i am sentimentally sympathetic to an ideology/cause or attached to a particular ethnic group in Nigeria (i am not Igbo if u care to know) but out of genuine concern for our collective sustenance, progress and welfare as Nigerians and my genuine willingness to know, learn and possibly understand some things and happenings in this country which seems confusing and appalling to me..

These are my questions:-

1- Were there war crimes committed during the Nigerian Civil War?

2- If the Answer is No, then why did we have recorded cases of tremendous civilian deaths of more than a million people from the Ojukwu lead separatist South East of mostly innocent children who never had a hand or an idea in the coup that lead to the declaration war by the Nigerian government.

3- If the Answer is Yes, then why hasn’t anyone or persons been held responsible or brought to justice for the criminals acts in an international court for the huge deaths, war crimes, atrocities and genocide (except you choose to deny this) committed during the civil war especially against innocent children not to mention the brutal murder of thousands of innocent men and women in the northern riots preceding the war in 1967 like is the case with people, leaders or figure heads who were directly or indirectly involved in war crimes against humanity that left many people dead, been charged, tried and even brought to book as in the likes of Charles Taylor of Liberia, Laurent Gbagbo of Ivory Coast, Omar Al-Bashir of Sudan, Slobodan Milosevic of Serb, Idi Amin of Uganda among many others..
So why hasn’t anyone from that brutal Nigerian civil war been accused or tried some 50 years after that war ended even when we still have so many figure heads who were involved in those atrocities/genocide still alive today…

4- Lastly, I know we are in Nigeria where a lot of evils and injustices are usually swept under the rug, but why has the international community like the UN been largely silent through 50 years after this horrendous war crimes were committed. Is this some sort of cover up or conspiracy to hide the ominous events of that war because the West like Britain and the US had a hand and profitable stake on its outcome?

5- Finally, where were the US, the United Nations and the UK most especially when the Nigerian civil war was ongoing and such great massacres was been carried out by the Nigerian army for 3 solid years without a single intervention from them as they had done with several other countries (probably with an interest like oil?) This is the part that baffles me the most..
Was their silence and non-intervention deliberate because of some grand conspiracy or some political scheme/ambition they hoped on achieving during and after the civil war through the Nigerian government??

WHY! WHY!! WHY!!! WHY!!!! WHY!!!!!

As a constantly irritated (owing to the mess the country has been embroiled in since it became a republic) but concerned citizen still optimistic for positive changes to sweep through this country some day, I feel highly compelled and concerned to figure out and raise these issues which to me serves as a means to finding answers to pressing questions bordering on our collective existence to possibly reconcile and correct our evil shameful pasts in order for us to start making progressive advances as a people and as a nation which seems so divided now more than ever before along ethnic, religious and political lines which has been dragging it on a retrogressive path since after independence..

Sorry for my long post but eagerly awaiting your responses to my questions.

Thanks
Re: Why Has These Crimes Against Humanity Been Ignored Since After The War by michiyke2003(m): 2:55pm On Jun 03, 2017
The reason why the world are keeping silent is because they are afraid of our existence. We are specially created and could be more greater than the western countries if they allow us to be free from internal subjugation from the Government of Nigeria. Their intention is to subdue and eliminate us from the earth surface but God of our land is stronger than them.
Re: Why Has These Crimes Against Humanity Been Ignored Since After The War by njelrapheal: 3:10pm On Jun 03, 2017
I hope topics like this gets to the front page
Re: Why Has These Crimes Against Humanity Been Ignored Since After The War by Denko2721987(m): 12:42am On Jun 04, 2017
michiyke2003:
The reason why the world are keeping silent is because they are afraid of our existence. We are specially created and could be more greater than the western countries if they allow us to be free from internal subjugation from the Government of Nigeria. Their intention is to subdue and eliminate us from the earth surface but God of our land is stronger than them.

hmmmm
Re: Why Has These Crimes Against Humanity Been Ignored Since After The War by pythonkid(m): 1:29am On Jun 04, 2017
y
Re: Why Has These Crimes Against Humanity Been Ignored Since After The War by pythonkid(m): 1:30am On Jun 04, 2017
michiyke2003:
lol ode

(1) (Reply)

The Billions Of Kola Aluko / See Why Romelu Lukaku Was Arrested In US / VIDEO: Soldier Beat Girlfriend Mercilessly For Faking Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.