Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC (24937 Views)

EndSars: We Have Received Reports Of Crimes - ICC Prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda / Bounty Placed On CSP James Nwafor: Wanted For Crimes Against Humanity. / 9 Animals That Committed Crimes And Were Caught Red-handed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Nobody: 9:20pm On Dec 10, 2018
The International Criminal Court (ICC) who released an annual report on preliminary examination activities (2018), stated that the Nigerian army has committed war crimes against humanity. 

According to the ICC, it has received “a total of 169 communications” from Nigeria and its assessment has shown that security forces in Nigeria have committed war crimes varying from murder, torture, and intentionally attacking the civilian population.

“Specifically, the Office found a reasonable basis to believe that the NSF committed the war crimes of murder pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); torture, cruel treatment pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); outrages upon personal dignity pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(ii); and intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population,” the ICC said.

According to Cableng, Fatou Bensouda, the ICC prosecutor disclosed that they also found reasonable basis to believe that Boko Haram, also committed war crimes against humanity.

"Furthermore, the Office found a reasonable basis to believe that Boko Haram committed the war crimes of murder pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); cruel treatment pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i) and outrages upon personal dignity pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(ii)”.

The ICC added that Boko Haram was “intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population or against individual civilians pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(i); intentionally directing attacks against buildings dedicated to education and to places of worship and similar institutions pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(iv); pillaging a town or place pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(v); rape, sexual slavery and sexual violence pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(vi)”.

The ICC also disclosed that they met with Abubakar Malami, Nigeria’s minister of justice and attorney general of the federation (AGF), to further investigate eight potential cases of Nigerian army war crimes against humanity.

ICC says several “files pertaining to alleged violations by members of the army were submitted to the Office (of the prosecutor). These files relate to a limited extent to the two potential cases identified by the Office”.

“Of the 27 files provided to the Office, 24 either lacked information to determine their relevance for the admissibility assessment or did not appear relevant.

The ICC complained that “other information specifically requested by the Office which was assessed to be potentially relevant to the admissibility assessment has yet to be provided by the Nigerian authorities”.

The ICC who also said it is examining the farmers-herders crisis in Nigeria, added since 2017, the Nigerian authorities appear to have “taken concrete steps toward fulfilling their primary responsibility to investigate and prosecute ICC crimes”. 

However the prosecutor noted that the Nigerian government always denies any allegations against the Nigerian army. 

“While there seems to be a tangible prospect of further proceedings against members of Boko Haram, including high-level commanders, at this stage the same cannot be said of the NSF, in particular since the Nigerian authorities tend to deny any allegation against the latter.

“While acknowledging the cooperation of the Nigerian authorities in the course of the preliminary examination, the Office will require, for the purpose of expediting its complementarity assessment, further information and evidence
demonstrating that relevant national proceedings are being or intended to be conducted without delay”.

https://lailasnews.com/nigerian-army-has-committed-war-crimes-against-humanity-says-icc/

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by okrikaboi: 9:37pm On Dec 10, 2018
Till it reaches FP I have nothing to comment
Hmmn Shebi dem go rescue mission for Liberia come carry belle give the women dem there through rape if dem fit do am outside anywhere dem dey including naija dem bam all na normal thing e don't dey happen since

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Nbote(m): 9:55pm On Dec 10, 2018
It would have been beta and made more sense if those crimes have been against Boko Haram insurgents instead of unarmed civilians

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 10, 2018
Ghen-ghen!!

Bubu will spend his final days at the Hague. This life eeh!

119 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by chiedu7: 10:10pm On Dec 10, 2018
Yes they have and Buhari must be tried

51 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by MorataFC: 10:10pm On Dec 10, 2018
Hmmmm
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by DoTheNeedful: 10:10pm On Dec 10, 2018
I wonder why ICC only find third world leaders and military guilty of war crimes.

The Bush family and Tony Blair did a lot bad to humanity in Iraq and Afghanistan, yet nobody has been called to book.

Obama and other Western leaders are responsible for the chaos in Libya and Syria today yet no one is talking about them.

It's like there is a different rule book for the Western leaders.

I have never seen any Western leader charged for war crimes yet we can see their negative impact everywhere.

While I believe third world leaders are to be checked, I am totally against the hypocrisy in global politics. undecided

101 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by MorataFC: 10:10pm On Dec 10, 2018
okrikaboi:
Till it reaches FP I have nothing to comment
oya
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Biglittlelois(f): 10:11pm On Dec 10, 2018
Prison sentence loading for Buratai and his master Buhari.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by NIGHTMARE0O7: 10:11pm On Dec 10, 2018
undecided
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by AngelicBeing: 10:11pm On Dec 10, 2018
Karatum:
Ghen-ghen!!

grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Okoyeeboz: 10:11pm On Dec 10, 2018
Karatum:
Ghen-ghen!!

Na so
Hague Street in Abakaliki

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by deboysben(m): 10:11pm On Dec 10, 2018
First thing I want atiku to do after winning is to jail buhari and burutai

27 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by SmilingMary(m): 10:12pm On Dec 10, 2018
Operation python dance comes to mind

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Olachase(m): 10:12pm On Dec 10, 2018
ICC must be mad how about those army's boko boys killed abi army no be human being

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by SweetJoystick(m): 10:12pm On Dec 10, 2018
Na today them just dey know?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by YoungLionken(m): 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2018
The only thing all these international agencies are good at is keeping bad remarks/records about Africa. All they do is to lay false claims on human rights. Hundreds of people die and displaced in Nigeria as a result of the insurgency in the northeast, but all they do is to keep records for negative purposes. What happens to the UN giving marching orders to the five security council to annihilate those blood-sucking terrorists from Nigeria and Syria? Of course I know that those terrorists won't last one month if all the countries of the world fully support their fellow countries. Terrorists buy weapons from thesame people who claimed to care about the well-being of the people. Yes, you guys don't want to assist for personal interests best known to you, but please stop adding more salt to sore!

15 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Ballotti: 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2018
Another notorious feather on the cap of the infamous APC!

All bad news all around! cry

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by macino1(m): 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2018
Action film don start
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Abfinest007(m): 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2018
don mind them boko haram is eir nightmare
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by marvin906(m): 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2018
ICC is a joke.. I don't know why that court hasn't been removed

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by babyfaceafrica: 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2018
nothing will be done..na all mouth
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by sunnymaja(m): 10:14pm On Dec 10, 2018
Madness of ICC. Where were they when BH was attacking the soldiers? If those people were innocent and unarmed, why will they attack them. Let's pause a while to reason. Everything is politically motivated in Nigeria

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by DerscomTQJ: 10:14pm On Dec 10, 2018
Karatum:
Ghen-ghen!!

Jubrin, u mean?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Captainsklyer(m): 10:14pm On Dec 10, 2018
Nigeria weak me... This time around there is nothing like we die here, I am leaving...

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Okoyeeboz: 10:15pm On Dec 10, 2018
deboysben:
First thing I want atiku to do after winning is to jail buhari and burutai

Atiku won't rule this country and Buhari won't go to jail.

You can take that to the bank.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Galaticos444: 10:15pm On Dec 10, 2018
Buhari has no respect 4d rule of law,he's a tyrant

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 10, 2018
Okay Waiting
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Okoyeeboz: 10:15pm On Dec 10, 2018
SmilingMary:
Operation python dance comes to mind

Nothing was said about python dance.

Those who died there died for nothing. That's why Kanu mourned his dog more than them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by thugmansion(m): 10:15pm On Dec 10, 2018
Soooo ICC its just waking up.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How God Saved Me From Cultists In Benin City / 16-year-old Boy Kills Brother For Dating His Girlfriend / Borno: 8 killed, 5 missing in insurgent ambush on troops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.