Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Defining A Christian. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Defining A Christian. (1618 Views)

Defining Love / Defining Deception - A Book By Benny Hinn's Nephew, Costa Hinn / I Don't Want To Marry A Christian Or Religious Person. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 12:32am On Jun 05, 2017
Well, maybe now the pope has said it maybe some people will start to get my point.

“The sickness or, you can say the sin, that Jesus condemns most is hypocrisy, which is precisely what is happening when someone claims to be a Christian but does not live according to the teaching of Christ. You cannot be a Christian without living like a Christian,”

“You cannot be a Christian without practicing the Beatitudes. You cannot be a Christian without doing what Jesus teaches us in Matthew 25.”
http://liberalspeak.com/1687/pope-francis-delivers-stern-warning-every-republican-supports-trump/
Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 1:33pm On Jul 18, 2017
But when the most hypocritical people on the planet today are 'christians' can we say that christianity has been hijacked?
Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 4:35pm On Feb 10, 2018
Has Christianity been hijacked?

Has it been overrun by Cynics?
Re: Defining A Christian. by hopefulLandlord: 5:05pm On Feb 10, 2018
PastorAIO:
Has Christianity been hijacked?

Has it been overrun by Cynics?

what is Christianity really? what really are the teachings of Christ? all I see are people picking and choosing then calling themselves Christians cuz they happen to "choose correctly" and condemn those that didn't choose the same things they chose as "Unchristian" and doomed to hell

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Defining A Christian. by hahn(m): 5:07pm On Feb 10, 2018
Hypocrisy is a major ingredient for being a Christian

You cannot be a true Christian without being a hypocrite

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Defining A Christian. by dalaman: 5:28pm On Feb 10, 2018
Nobody truly knows who a christian is. Almost all just pick and chose what to followso long as it agrees with them. All of them reject the idiotic and impossible pacifist teachings of Jesus.
Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 5:32pm On Feb 10, 2018
hahn:
Hypocrisy is a major ingredient for being a Christian

You cannot be a true Christian without being a hypocrite

smiley

Isn't this curious, considering that Jesus' most famous gripe is against Hypocrisy?

Jesus hates hypocrisy, yet his followers are the most hypocritical people on the planet. How do we square that circle?

Why is it impossible to be a christian without being an hypocrite?
Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 5:35pm On Feb 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

what is Christianity really? what really are the teachings of Christ? all I see are people picking and choosing then calling themselves Christians cuz they happen to "choose correctly" and condemn those that didn't choose the same things they chose as "Unchristian" and doomed to hell

If only they picked and chose. I don't see any picking and choosing. Rather I see an outright rejection of everything that Jesus is purported to have taught.

Can you pick one teaching of Jesus that christians commonly practice?
Re: Defining A Christian. by paxonel(m): 5:36pm On Feb 10, 2018
No human being is actually a perfect being, whether they are hypocrites or armed robber or whatever. But being a christian entails that you were born into a christian home and groomed to be a christian by a christian parent or you were converted from another religion into christianity.
Not being trying hard to live like Christ because you simply cannot be like Christ or fully follow the teachings of Christ.
It's not possible
Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 5:36pm On Feb 10, 2018
dalaman:
Nobody truly knows who a christian is. Almost all just pick and chose what to followso long as it agrees with them. All of them reject the idiotic and impossible pacifist teachings of Jesus.

Apparently a christian is a 'christlike' person. Do you know any Chrstlike people?
Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 5:38pm On Feb 10, 2018
paxonel:
No human being is actually a perfect being, whether they are hypocrites or armed robber or whatever. But being a christian entails that you were born into a christian home and groomed to be a christian by a christian parent or you were converted from another religion into christianity.
Not being trying hard to live like Christ because you simply cannot be like Christ,
It's not possible

So if you can't be like christ then why do you call yourself christ-like?

1 Like

Re: Defining A Christian. by paxonel(m): 5:41pm On Feb 10, 2018
PastorAIO:

So if you can't be like christ then why do you call yourself christ-like?
No one is christ-like.
Rather we all share from the death and resurrection of Christ through our faith which is grace
Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 5:42pm On Feb 10, 2018
paxonel:

No one is christ-like.
Rather we all share from the death and resurrection of Christ through our faith which is grace

So no one is a christian.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Defining A Christian. by dalaman: 5:56pm On Feb 10, 2018
PastorAIO:

Apparently a christian is a 'christlike' person. Do you know any Chrstlike people?

Nope, I don't, and I don't think there is any around.
Re: Defining A Christian. by hopefulLandlord: 6:04pm On Feb 10, 2018
PastorAIO:

If only they picked and chose. I don't see any picking and choosing. Rather I see an outright rejection of everything that Jesus is purported to have taught.

Can you pick one teaching of Jesus that christians commonly practice?

That's actually part of my question though? what really are the teachings of Christ? by "picking and choosing" I mean from the entire Bible not exclusively Jesus
Re: Defining A Christian. by bloodofthelamb(m): 6:59pm On Feb 10, 2018
PastorAIO:

No one can be 'Christlike' by his own power and strength. Without the fullness of the Holy Spirit in us, we will be fake actors playing the role of Jesus horribly.

3 Likes

Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 8:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

No one can be 'Christlike' by his own power and strength. Without the fullness of the Holy Spirit in us, we will be fake actors playing the role of Jesus horribly.

So with the fullness of the Holy Spirit you are now christlike.

1 Like

Re: Defining A Christian. by bloodofthelamb(m): 10:25pm On Feb 10, 2018
PastorAIO:

So with the fullness of the Holy Spirit you are now christlike.

Yes! The Spirit is working day by day in us who believe the testimony of GOD, transforming us unto the likeness of Christ.

When Jesus finally returns we shall all be change into His form. Though we are one Spirit with Him now, when He appears we shall take a flesh like His, incapable of corruption forever.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Defining A Christian. by paxonel(m): 8:06am On Feb 11, 2018
PastorAIO:

So no one is a christian.
The moment you were born into a christian home you are already a christian like that.
or you were converted into christianity from another religion either by people preaching to you or you just decided to join christianity, in either case you are a christian the moment you believe in Jesus Christ. Romans 10:9
We are not christians because we are trying to be christ-like.
Yes, it is good to emulate Christ teachings, but doing that do not make us christians
Re: Defining A Christian. by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:31am On Feb 11, 2018
The problem with many Christians today who are more religious than being Christians is that they feel Christianity can be defined outright.

A Christian cannot be boxed. Of course Christian means Christ-like but again what is "Christ-Like" ? We seem to forget that although Jesus Christ lived a perfect life, he also called the pharisees or was it Sadducees and scribes, brood of vipers (and rightly so too). wink He fought the money changers and tax collectors at the temple for turning it into a house of thieves... He was angry at times and even grew frustrated at his disciples when he asked, "Have I been with you for so long, yet you don't know me or the father?"

Jesus living a perfect life does not mean he was not controversial in his own way. We always seem to focus on just the good quiet side of Jesus. What about the bold and controversial side of Jesus? Isn't that Christ-Like too?

This is why you cannot wake up one morning and just define a Christian... You must do it in the light of everything Jesus was and what he did to the minutest detail... Then you will understand that Christianity is more about Faith, Grace and conviction rather than opening a set of do's and don'ts to check if Brother B or Sister S are still in line... Looolll... We live by Faith NOT BY WORKS.

Humans are prone to misjudge and find fault in others. So leave it to God to truly decide who is and who is not a Christian. Mind your own business, live your life and just try to see and focus on the best in people. Of course there will be people you just have to avoid and keep away from as there will always be those out to destroy you or just hate on you, but don't let that define your relationship with all men.
This is why I also mingle with "so-called unbelievers". I do not judge them neither do I condemn them... I just focus on the best in them and try to treat them according to who I am and what/who I represent. I try to make them see rhe best of themselves and make them understand that Love is more important.
A Christian cannot be boxed... Even Jesus Christ mingled with unbelievers and made great friends of them. He focused on just shining the light and seeing the best in people even when others only saw darkness.

Who is a Christian? Looollll..... Study to the very last detail the life of Jesus and all he did and observe all his mannerisms and you will be shocked at the Jesus you never knew.

Happy Sunday. smiley
Re: Defining A Christian. by hahn(m): 9:49am On Feb 11, 2018
PastorAIO:

Isn't this curious, considering that Jesus' most famous gripe is against Hypocrisy?

Jesus hates hypocrisy, yet his followers are the most hypocritical people on the planet. How do we square that circle?

Why is it impossible to be a christian without being an hypocrite?

For starters you have to be able to ignore all the inconsistencies and contradictions no matter how ridiculous and still claim the bible is a book worth taking seriously

That requires a high level of hypocrisy smiley

3 Likes

Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 8:14pm On Feb 11, 2018
paxonel:

The moment you were born into a christian home you are already a christian like that.
or you were converted into christianity from another religion either by people preaching to you or you just decided to join christianity, in either case you are a christian the moment you believe in Jesus Christ. Romans 10:9
We are not christians because we are trying to be christ-like.
Yes, it is good to emulate Christ teachings, but doing that do not make us christians

I didn't say anything about Christians TRYING to be Christlike. I'm referencing the claim that Christian means Christlike and they were so called because Christians were like Christ. Are Christians really that different in character from the rest of humanity?
Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 8:16pm On Feb 11, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Yes! The Spirit is working day by day in us who believe the testimony of GOD, transforming us unto the likeness of Christ.

When Jesus finally returns we shall all be change into His form. Though we are one Spirit with Him now, when He appears we shall take a flesh like His, incapable of corruption forever.
Okay, so your process is not complete, but how do you know you're progressing the right way?

1 Like

Re: Defining A Christian. by paxonel(m): 8:56pm On Feb 11, 2018
PastorAIO:

I didn't say anything about Christians TRYING to be Christlike. I'm referencing the claim that Christian means Christlike and they were so called because Christians were like Christ
Ok

Are Christians really that different in character from the rest of humanity?
I don't think so

2 Likes

Re: Defining A Christian. by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:55am On Feb 12, 2018
PastorAIO:

Okay, so your process is not complete, but how do you know you're progressing the right way?

Through the fruit of the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, temper, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 11:37am On Feb 12, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Through the fruit of the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, temper, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

So where we find these things we know we're dealing with Christians and where these things are lacking we know that there are no christians.
Re: Defining A Christian. by bloodofthelamb(m): 2:22pm On Feb 12, 2018
PastorAIO:

So where we find these things we know we're dealing with Christians and where these things are lacking we know that there are no christians.

Resounding yes! A Christian is someone who has freely receive the gift of the Holy Ghost through faith{thanksgiving}.

The Holy Spirit cannot be in you and you will not have a change of desire. Those lifestyle must be seen in you and through you or else, you don't have the precious Spirit of Jesus and if you don't have it you don't belong to Him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Defining A Christian. by johnw74: 2:54am On Mar 04, 2018
see this son of satan masquarading as a christian:

PastorAIO:

the most hypocritical people on the planet today are 'christians'

Jesus hates hypocrisy, yet his followers are the most hypocritical people on the planet.

Joh_8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

2 Co 11
13 For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ.
14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

1 Like

Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 12:00pm On Mar 04, 2018
johnw74:
see this son of satan masquarading as a Christian

Who is masquerading as a Christian with you? You are just speaking for yourself with all those words you wrote up there.

Ps. Please keep trolling. I could use some new trolls. The few I acquired recently seem to have low battery life. Welcome
Re: Defining A Christian. by johnw74: 12:02am On Mar 05, 2018
PastorAIO:

Who is masquerading as a Christian with you? You are just speaking for yourself with all those words you wrote up there.

Ps. Please keep trolling. I could use some new trolls. The few I acquired recently seem to have low battery life. Welcome

pastor:
A pastor is an ordained leader of a Christian congregation

oh duh AIO
Re: Defining A Christian. by PastorAIO: 4:21am On Mar 05, 2018
johnw74:

pastor:
A pastor is an ordained leader of a Christian congregation

oh duh AIO

If you have the patent for 'pastor' then please sue me in a court of law.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Untold Stories In The Bible (Tell Us Your Lessons In The Comments Section) / The Second Coming Has Already Happened In 70 AD / Have Mercy On Me O Lord.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.