Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? (3660 Views)

As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn / Why Are Igbo Women And Men So Beautiful And Handsome In This Part Of The World / Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by EzeNwaanyi: 3:41am On Jun 08, 2017
I was born in the United States. My father is Nigerian. Igbo to be more specific. For the past few years I have been planning to relocate to Nigeria at some point in my life, but with this biafra situation going on I'm kind of fearful for my safety. Housa and Yoruba people seem to hate igbo people and I just want to know why. I love Nigeria and I think that all of our people are great regardless of what tribe they are from. Nigeria is a great country with great potential but the division there is a bit discouraging and disappointing. Please someone explain to me why we are divided instead of sticking together.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 4:10am On Jun 08, 2017
Whatever you do, don't mix with illiterates. May be Igboid but I have friends from all 6 geopolitical zones.
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 4:10am On Jun 08, 2017

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 5:26am On Jun 08, 2017
Go and read Chinese American Prof. Ami Chua's book World On Fire and you will know why. Then after that visit www.igbodefender.com and you will know more.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Aachree0: 8:24am On Jun 08, 2017
Errrm, maybe because the Igbos hate those people too?

How can everyone hate them for no reason? Victim mentality. The world is against us... wail wail and more wailings, pulls hair and gnashes teeth. Rubs ash on body and rolls on floor. undecided

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 08, 2017
Aachree0:
Errrm, maybe because the Igbos hate those people too?

How can everyone hate them for no reason? Victim mentality. The world is against us... wail wail and more wailings, pulls hair and gnashes teeth. Rubs ash on body and rolls on floor. undecided
The OP by now has read the relevant portion of Ami Chua's book I suggested above, so your 'answer' is irrelevant.
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by AgoraRoad(m): 6:06pm On Jun 08, 2017
Visit [url]agoraroad.com[/url] Blog that archives FORBIDDEN knowledge from the Darknet, [url]agoraroad.com[/url]

1 Share

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jun 09, 2017
EzeNwaayni,
Hi...
You're like me. (My dad's Igbo....late mom was Black- American).
What ethnicity is your mother?
What has made you want to relocate?
I'm planning on visiting, but I have some concerns also.
That's an interesting question you asked...cause I've wondered that too?
I asked my dad....and he gave me his thoughts.
That tribal bigotry is terrible...
I read somewhere on NL last week that someone on Facebook allegedly said that Nigeria would be better off if the Igbo's were destroyed or something like that.....not sure if I got it right.
What is it about this particular tribe?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 4:24am On Jun 10, 2017
EzeNwaanyi:
I was born in the United States. My father is Nigerian. Igbo to be more specific. For the past few years I have been planning to relocate to Nigeria at some point in my life, but with this biafra situation going on I'm kind of fearful for my safety. Housa and Yoruba people seem to hate igbo people and I just want to know why. I love Nigeria and I think that all of our people are great regardless of what tribe they are from. Nigeria is a great country with great potential but the division there is a bit discouraging and disappointing. Please someone explain to me why we are divided instead of sticking together.

Op I don't want to sound negative, but have you ever stayed in Nigeria for an extended period of time? You seem to be romanticizing the country. If you value your security, be careful about your relocation area. One chance is real. Are you ok with substandard health care? If you get poor treatment, there is no one to sue. Are you ok with getting malaria? You can't take antimalarial drugs for the rest of your life. You think America police are bad, wait until you meet Nigerians. They can make you cut grass and run a lap just for the fun of it. I'm not trying to scare you away, but I think you will end up missing the US after a while. I live in the US and believe me, it's much better here.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 10, 2017
Amy Chua (a Chinese American professor) said Igbo's like Chinese (her tribe) and Jews are hated because of their great business acumen. She describes them together with Americans as the world's Market Dominan 'Minirities' (overly successful business groups that attract illfeeling from others because of that.

That's why I said you should read her book World On Fire. You could draw your own conclusions after that.

@Ngo40, I also recommend you read the book.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by bigfrancis21: 7:24pm On Jun 10, 2017
EzeNwaanyi:

It's a long story, a very long story. The tribal problem in Nigeria started long before Nigerian independence. Ever since the coming of the British, the Igbos started migrating out of their region in droves. Igbos are very migratory, as you probably know, migrating out to distant lands for economic opportunities to survive. You know Nnamdi Azikiwe? He was born in 1903 or so. Where? In Zungeru, up up north. That is, as of the beginning of the 20th century his parents from Onitsha were already living in the north. Being very open to change and western education, they took up many available positions the British colonial government had open, or established successful small-scale businesses and sometimes lived better than the natives of these foreign lands. Of course after a while, the natives would have enough of what seems to be foreigners doing better than them in their own land. It was also wrongly perceived as 'domination', that is the Ibo foreigner 'dominating' others in their own domain. However, from the Igbo point of view, they see it as competition and the desire to be successful, coming from a culture that largely emphasizes success, drive and 'ibu mmadu' (literally, to be somebody or to be successful). The Igbo were also in the English-speaking region of Cameroon (formerly part of Nigeria until 1961 or so) and the people complained of 'domination' by Igbos because they were everywhere in the seat of government and held strategic positions, mainly by merit because they oftentimes had the qualifications needed which the natives as of then did not have, and this seeming 'fear of Igbo domination' was the main reason English-speaking Cameroon left Nigeria to join French-speaking Cameroon, thus effectively destabilizing the Igbo hegemony in that area (Igbos automatically were no more citizens but foreigners and most laws were re-written to benefit citizens of cameroon alone etc). Even though, English-speaking cameroon today isn't having it any better, as they are being oppressed by their French-speaking counterparts simply because they speak English. Most of them speak English (with close to Nigerian accent), pidgin English, their native language and sometimes. French. These are some events up till 1960. You probably know about the civil war and Nigeria's history till today, however that 'fear of Igbo domination' still lingers in the minds of Nigerians till today. Other tribes feel if Igbos are not 'checked', they'd rise to 'dominate' others. The Igbos, on the other hand, feel they've been marginalized since the civil war primarily to keep them down. And it has been going back and forth ever since.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jun 10, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Other tribes feel if Igbos are not 'checked', they'd rise to 'dominate' others. The Igbos, on the other hand, feel they've been marginalized since the civil war primarily to keep them down. And it has been going back and forth ever since.
That's exactly what Amy Chua is essentially saying in her book.
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 2:33am On Jun 11, 2017
igbodefender:
Amy Chua (a Chinese American professor) said Igbo's like Chinese (her tribe) and Jews are hated because of their great business acumen. She describes them together with Americans as the world's Market Dominan 'Minirities' (overly successful business groups that attract illfeeling from others because of that.

That's why I said you should read her book World On Fire. You could draw your own conclusions after that.

@Ngo40, I also recommend you read the book.

That's very interesting.....thanks a lot.
I will check it out.
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 11, 2017
Ngo40:

That's very interesting.....thanks a lot.
I will check it out.
Following Chua's logic, it was a simmilar issue that made Malaysia to ask Singapore (then a majority ethnic Chinese region within Malaysia) to leave their country in 1965. You can see the see a simmilar request to Igbos to leave Nigeria by some Northern youth groups few days ago.

The Igbos, Jews, Chinese and the US face this kind of thing all the time all over the world. Their success breeds mistrust and ill feeling, which is sometimes justified though. Accept that being Igbo will make some people admire you, while it will also make some resent you.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jun 11, 2017
igbodefender:
Following Chua's logic, it was a simmilar issue that made Malaysia to ask Singapore (then a majority ethnic Chinese region within Malaysia) to leave their country in 1965. You can see the see a simmilar request to Igbos to leave Nigeria by some Northern youth groups few days ago.

The Igbos, Jews, Chinese and the US face this kind of thing all the time all over the world. Their success breeds mistrust and ill feeling, which is sometimes justified though. Accept that being Igbo will make some people admire you, while it will also make some resent you.

I see....this is so fascinating.
I don't wish to reveal my conversation with my dad about this....but it's starting to make more sense.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Ioseph(m): 3:55pm On Jun 11, 2017
It's because Northern Muslims have been slaughtering Igbos and Igbos tried to secede from Nigeria to create their own sovereign nation, Biafra. Though the Biafran rebellion of the 70s lost, there is still heavy resentment by people in the SouthEast for people who are from Yoruba or Hausa country, who both have big Muslim populations whereas Igbos have practically zero Muslims.

The majority of Igbo state voted against Buhari, showing that people in the Biafran region are strongly opposed politically to the rest of the country.

Northern Muslims are killing and attacking Igbo settlements to this very day. Some foreign countries have eyed the Igbo subnation of Nigeria as a potential method of fighting Islamic Extremism in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by absoluteSuccess: 8:46pm On Jun 11, 2017
I don't believe Igbos are hated:

when you read this thoughts from Igbos themselves as non-igbo, you tend to be careful with igbo's self-consciousness. There is nothing bad in being culturally conscious, it becomes a problem if we have to talk about it in whatever we do and how we relate with others. Its not convenient.

I know of an igbo elder, there were times we want to talk about business that's between us, speaking Yoruba all along as he often likes to do. The first thing the elder will say is, “I'm an Igbo man”. Well its awkward psychology.

The igboman asserts igboness in petty conversation that I began to feel like, can't we talk without this recourse to the tribe? I was trying to be helpful but he often misunderstood me or its me not getting him. I only use this example that its awkward if one talk like that all the time.

Every Yorubaman speaks of igbo business zeal offline, what does the igbo says of the Yorubaman that you readily remember? Yes others are good for nothing but, does this igbo zeal make other people worthless? I think some have that orientation. Other people excel in their own way and were not fed by igbos business acumen.

Can igbo business survive where people don't buy their stuffs? What were those patronising igbo shop doing to get money to buy their wares? Did they make noise after buying as 'the most buying ethnic/group of people'? Igbo business needs patronage, do their haters buys to make them succeed?

Many Igbo people who succeed in business or art love the humanity they serve, then the bigot igbo use the igbo achievements to pepper and taunt others to assert their greatness. I don't know if there is any tribe greater than igbos and I'm not sure that greatness is all they want.

The only tribe that's insecure in Nigeria this day is Igbo. The same reason gave birth to this thread, to find more mental resources in affirmation. I support the quit notice given by the north: igbos are great people, it is time they exit Nigeria so another great African country can be borne.

But the Igbo should not make the mistake of quitting and wishing the house fall on the householders that remain. That would be a diabolical hope. The Yoruba and the rest of Nigerians can still sustain and salvage what remains as Nigeria. Every country needs time to get it right.

Hausa is not the problem of Nigeria, Igbo is not the problem nor any tribe: we have failed as a country, we needed to find a way to solve the problem and not compound it by restricting or waging war against a tribe. Let the igbo go, let new Nigeria come, its part of solving Nigeria's biafra problem.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by bigfrancis21: 10:26pm On Jun 11, 2017
absoluteSuccess:
I don't believe Igbos are hated:

when you read this thoughts from Igbos themselves as non-igbo, you tend to be careful with igbo's self-consciousness. There is nothing bad in being culturally conscious, it becomes a problem if we have to talk about it in whatever we do and how we relate with others. Its not convenient.

I know of an igbo elder, there were times we want to talk about business that's between us, speaking Yoruba all along as he often likes to do. The first thing the elder will say is, “I'm an Igbo man”. Well its awkward psychology.

The igboman asserts igboness in petty conversation that I began to feel like, can't we talk without this recourse to the tribe? I was trying to be helpful but he often misunderstood me or its me not getting him. I only use this example that its awkward if one talk like that all the time.

Every Yorubaman speaks of igbo business zeal offline, what does the igbo says of the Yorubaman that you readily remember? Yes others are good for nothing but, does this igbo zeal make other people worthless? I think some have that orientation. Other people excel in their own way and were not fed by igbos business acumen.

Can igbo business survive where people don't buy their stuffs? What were those patronising igbo shop doing to get money to buy their wares? Did they make noise after buying as 'the most buying ethnic/group of people'? Igbo business needs patronage, do their haters buys to make them succeed?

Many Igbo people who succeed in business or art love the humanity they serve, then the bigot igbo use the igbo achievements to pepper and taunt others to assert their greatness. I don't know if there is any tribe greater than igbos and I'm not sure that greatness is all they want.

The only tribe that's insecure in Nigeria this day is Igbo. The same reason gave birth to this thread, to find more mental resources in affirmation. I support the quit notice given by the north: igbos are great people, it is time they exit Nigeria so another great African country can be borne.

But the Igbo should not make the mistake of quitting and wishing the house fall on the householders that remain. That would be a diabolical hope. The Yoruba and the rest of Nigerians can still sustain and salvage what remains as Nigeria. Every country needs time to get it right.

Hausa is not the problem of Nigeria, Igbo is not the problem nor any tribe: we have failed as a country, we needed to find a way to solve the problem and not compound it by restricting or waging war against a tribe. Let the igbo go, let new Nigeria come, its part of solving Nigeria's biafra problem.

With the majority of businesses in the west Igbo-owned, if the locals don't patronize them (they have to anyway, because they need the exchange of money for goods for survival), who will they patronize?

Second, the average Yoruba man will tell you I am a Yoruba man first before saying he is a Nigerian. Forget all that write up there. Every tribe is proud of where he comes from. Yorubas love their tribe as much as an Igbo man does.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 13, 2017
bigfrancis21:

With the majority of businesses in the west Igbo-owned, if the locals don't patronize them (they have to anyway, because they need the exchange of money for goods for survival), who will they patronize?

Second, the average Yoruba man will tell you I am a Yoruba man first before saying he is a Nigerian. Forget all that write up there. Every tribe is proud of where he comes from. Yorubas love their tribe as much as an Igbo man does.
Liar! The igbos only succeed in yorubaland because the yorubas are accomodating and sophisticated plus we like to leave the small businesses for the illiterate ibo traders while we chase the big business of becoming technocrats and intellectuals. If the ibos are so rich, how many of them are in the top 10 richest in naija. The ibos think everything can be achieved with chestbeating but they lack diplomacy. The yoruba are always ready to work with them and help them but we wont bend to them in the process because we have superior intellect. The igbos dont have history or a sense of nationalism and they act without thinking most times. At a time when the yoruba and benin were building large empires the ibos were living in villages like bushmen. They dont even know where they come from and they are confused. Ask an ibo man what his great grandfather was doing 150yrs ago and he will say they came from Israel. Until you humble yourselves we the yoruba cannot help u. We have done enough for u giving u shelter and means to a livelihood and we have ever been peaceful to u never atacking u or abusing u but u are bitter because anytime u try to dominate us u find out we just beat ur ass without even fighting lol.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by bigfrancis21: 4:52pm On Jun 13, 2017
atmy1:
Liar! The igbos only succeed in yorubaland because the yorubas are accomodating and sophisticated plus we like to leave the small businesses for the illiterate ibo traders while we chase the big business of becoming technocrats and intellectuals. If the ibos are so rich, how many of them are in the top 10 richest in naija. The ibos think everything can be achieved with chestbeating but they lack diplomacy. The yoruba are always ready to work with them and help them but we wont bend to them in the process because we have superior intellect. The igbos dont have history or a sense of nationalism and they act without thinking most times. At a time when the yoruba and benin were building large empires the ibos were living in villages like bushmen. They dont even know where they come from and they are confused. Ask an ibo man what his great grandfather was doing 150yrs ago and he will say they came from Israel. Until you humble yourselves we the yoruba cannot help u. We have done enough for u giving u shelter and means to a livelihood and we have ever been peaceful to u never atacking u or abusing u but u are bitter because anytime u try to dominate us u find out we just beat ur ass without even fighting lol.

Most of this is false and chest-beating. Forget that accommodating title you just claimed, it's not as if Igbos were given land or shops or houses free of charge to inhabit. They worked for every single thing they have today. In addition, by being citizens of Nigeria they have the right to live anywhere in Nigeria, that is not accommodation. It is very silly to say that you accommodated a Nigerian citizen. The US is a country of millions of immigrants worldwide but you never hear them claim 'accommodating'. That is very silly and immature to say.

Many times you guys think Igbos were doing nothing while you 'had empires' as if that makes you any better. Go look it up, Igbo ukwu artworks were made/predate all other artworks in southern Nigeria, including Ife and Benin. They are described as being more intrinsic, more detailed and with high level of finesse. Igbo civilization has been discovered to be the oldest in southern Nigeria, preceding Bini and Ife. Evidence suggests ancient Igbos were trading with as far as Egypt and Mali. However, many of you don't know this as you love to go back only 200 years ago when Oyo empire existed, totally forgetting to go back a 1000 years. I have my links/proof but I'll let you run around in circles first before I post them.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by ababda: 4:55pm On Jun 13, 2017
EzeNwaanyi:

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by absoluteSuccess: 5:57pm On Jun 13, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Let your mind wander off to climes with the same level of development without the Igbos, it will help your imagination: the locals in that line of business will make provisions for themselves. Nature abhors vacuum.

One of the flop side of free education is that it gave the Yoruba the notion that education and career aspiration defines the good life, without this, Igbos may not have had the opportunity they enjoyed in Yorubaland.

That's if there is need for it: its no crime talking about your origin when needs call for it in a conversation, not just to proof the unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by ewa26: 7:03pm On Jun 13, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Most of this is false and chest-beating. Forget that accommodating title you just claimed, it's not as if Igbos were given land or shops or houses free of charge to inhabit. They worked for every single thing they have today. In addition, by being citizens of Nigeria they have the right to live anywhere in Nigeria, that is not accommodation. It is very silly to say that you accommodated a Nigerian citizen. The US is a country of millions of immigrants worldwide but you never hear them claim 'accommodating'. That is very silly and immature to say.

Many times you guys think Igbos were doing nothing while you 'had empires' as if that makes you any better. Go look it up, Igbo ukwu artworks were made/predate all other artworks in southern Nigeria, including Ife and Benin. They are described as being more intrinsic, more detailed and with high level of finesse. Igbo civilization has been discovered to be the oldest in southern Nigeria, preceding Bini and Ife. Evidence suggests ancient Igbos were trading with as far as Egypt and Mali. However, many of you don't know this as you love to go back only 200 years ago when Oyo empire existed, totally forgetting to go back a 1000 years. I have my links/proof but I'll let you run around in circles first before I post them.
so instead of to. Ansa my question on Igbo jollof rice you ignore me and post about ancient oyo civilisations Please just answer my question on rice!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jun 13, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Lol. You Igbos will never learn. Why are u talking about 1,000 years ago when we can't even ascertain the nature of the people living in present day Ibo land. How do we even know the people of Igbo-Ukwu were Ibo-speaking if there was no Ibo civilization around 200 years ago. The truth is that your forefathers were primitive and lacked any nation state. That is why there is no history of Ibo land. If you want to learn about Yoruba history, read this book, written around 1896 https://archive.org/stream/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john_djvu.txt

Remember, there is nothing that has happened to Igbo that has not happened to Yoruba but we handle things differently. Our fathers fought the Hausa/Fulani, defeated them and chased them out of Yoruba land with the exception of Ilorin. A Yoruba son won the most peaceful and fair election in Nigerian history and it was annulled by a northern dictator. We did not go to war, we apply intellect and diplomacy and our son eventually became president. Another Yoruba son may soon become president, even before Igbo smells VP. Yoruba were marginalized under Jonathan in appointments but we did not shout. We just cleverly formed an alliance and pushed you guys to the sidelines of politics; again without shedding a single drop of blood. Unlike you Igbos that will just kill yourselves for nothing, we understand the hausa/fulani and know how to fight them.

Remember all the Northerners that were president before Buhari: Shagari, Yar-adua, and even Tafawa Balewa that was president; Yoruba did not vote for them, the Igbos always voted for Northern party. All the Northern parties in history you have voted for them. The Yorubas have always been in opposition, never voting for mainstream parties and yet we never cried even when it did not favour us. Now we are in the mainstream for the first time and you are crying; please Igbo keep shedding tears, non of your leaders is half as great as Tinubu, not to think of Awolowo.

Yorubas don't like war because we are probably the ethnic group that has witnessed civil wars the most. The Yoruba fought for almost a hundred years but we are still a successful ethnic group today.
In today's post-independent Nigeria, IGR of Ogun state compares with that of 4 states in the East and we are the most educated and urbanised ethnic group(if you need proof, consult wikipedia). We achieved all this not through violence but intellect and diplomacy because we understand our enemies better.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by bigfrancis21: 8:27pm On Jun 13, 2017
atmy1:

Lol. You Igbos will never learn. Why are u talking about 1,000 years ago when we can't even ascertain the nature of the people living in present day Ibo land. How do we even know the people of Igbo-Ukwu were Ibo-speaking if there was no Ibo civilization around 200 years ago. The truth is that your forefathers were primitive and lacked any nation state. That is why there is no history of Ibo land. If you want to learn about Yoruba history, read this book, written around 1896 https://archive.org/stream/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john_djvu.txt

Remember, there is nothing that has happened to Igbo that has not happened to Yoruba but we handle things differently. Our fathers fought the Hausa/Fulani, defeated them and chased them out of Yoruba land with the exception of Ilorin. A Yoruba son won the most peaceful and fair election in Nigerian history and it was annulled by a northern dictator. We did not go to war, we apply intellect and diplomacy and our son eventually became president. Another Yoruba son may soon become president, even before Igbo smells VP. Yoruba were marginalized under Jonathan in appointments but we did not shout. We just cleverly formed an alliance and pushed you guys to the sidelines of politics; again without shedding a single drop of blood. Unlike you Igbos that will just kill yourselves for nothing, we understand the hausa/fulani and know how to fight them.

Remember all the Northerners that were president before Buhari: Shagari, Yar-adua, and even Tafawa Balewa that was president; Yoruba did not vote for them, the Igbos always voted for Northern party. All the Northern parties in history you have voted for them. The Yorubas have always been in opposition, never voting for mainstream parties and yet we never cried even when it did not favour us. Now we are in the mainstream for the first time and you are crying; please Igbo keep shedding tears, non of your leaders is half as great as Tinubu, not to think of Awolowo.

Yorubas don't like war because we are probably the ethnic group that has witnessed civil wars the most. The Yoruba fought for almost a hundred years but we are still a successful ethnic group today.
In today's post-independent Nigeria, IGR of Ogun state compares with that of 4 states in the East and we are the most educated and urbanised ethnic group(if you need proof, consult wikipedia). We achieved all this not through violence but intellect and diplomacy because we understand our enemies better.

That's how some of you dwell in ignorance. Go and read Olaudah Euiano's book about Igboland in the 1700s, published earlier than your 1896 book.

How sure are you that Ife was Yoruba-speaking in the 1500s? Provide your proof of that.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by ewa26: 9:59pm On Jun 13, 2017
bigfrancis21:

That's how some of you dwell in ignorance. Go and read Olaudah Euiano's book about Igboland in the 1700s, published earlier than your 1896 book.

How sure are you that Ife was Yoruba-speaking in the 1500s? Provide your proof of that.
answer me now!!
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by bigfrancis21: 10:02pm On Jun 13, 2017
ewa26:
answer me now!!

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, or else I would have responded since.
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by ewa26: 10:13pm On Jun 13, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, or else I would have responded since.
why you been so mean!! Cant you tell me how jollof rice is cooked and eaten in igboland Do you not cook d jollof rice yourself
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 7:18am On Jun 14, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Thank God you spoke about olaudah equaino also known as Gustavus Vassa. I doubt if u have even read his history well. He was an igbo slave captured from an igbo village under bini empire. What his account reveals is simply that Igbo had no nation of thier own and most igbo tribes were under benin empire. Olaudah was a villager like all igbos at that time and would have remained so if he had not been captured as slave. Thank you u just confirmed that bini used to be greater than igbos who were never a single entity until colonialism. No wonder bini are not interested in biafra, they used to rule your fathers.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by aariwa(m): 4:55am On Jul 26, 2017
FortuneTeller:

Op I don't want to sound negative, but have you ever stayed in Nigeria for an extended period of time? You seem to be romanticizing the country. If you value your security, be careful about your relocation area. One chance is real. Are you ok with substandard health care? If you get poor treatment, there is no one to sue. Are you ok with getting malaria? You can't take antimalarial drugs for the rest of your life. You think America police are bad, wait until you meet Nigerians. They can make you cut grass and run a lap just for the fun of it. I'm not trying to scare you away, but I think you will end up missing the US after a while. I live in the US and believe me, it's much better here.
80% untrue .You have never seen Nigeria before but rely on what you read online.People are way more satisfied by buidiing communal and familial bonds in Nigeria that surrounding themselves with man made conveniences and loneliness as is seen in u.s

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 1:38am On Jul 28, 2017
aariwa:
80% untrue .You have never seen Nigeria before but rely on what you read online.People are way more satisfied by buidiing communal and familial bonds in Nigeria that surrounding themselves with man made conveniences and loneliness as is seen in u.s

Brother,
Now in order to defend Nigeria in response to her comment, you made a gross generalization about the U.S.
She is not the only Nigerian that has voiced those words before.
I think it's fair and honest to say that communal and familial bonds are stronger in Nigeria (and other foreign countries) largely due in part to the "lack" of modern conveniences...with all due respect.
Let those modern conveniences be more readily available, and things would be vastly different.
Some things are a matter of circumstance and not choice...to be honest.
It pains me to see Nigerians so westernized to the extent that they are...just based on what is seen on television.
May I give you some advice?
If you want to defend Nigeria, (which is understandable), please try not to insult another country in order to make a point.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Traditional Marriage Rites/bride Price In Obowo, Imo State / Clarification Of Those Common Yoruba Words That Seems Borrowed From Arabic / Why Don't White People Have African Surnames?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.