Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong (41623 Views)

12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know / Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 08, 2017
1. Behind the sheets

It's common you hear people talk about what happens in their bed thereby making use of 'Behind the sheets'. Actually the correct line is "BETWEEN THE SHEETS"

2. I could care less

You're in a situation, probably angered by someone, in a bid to get back at him/her, you say 'I could care less', this is wrong because the sentence actually means you're concerned about the situation. The correct phase is "I COULDN'T CARE LESS"

3. First-come, First serve

This one is very popular among the Nigerians, because it talks about feeding the monsters in our belly, and it's a common notion that if you're on time you would be attended to early enough. the right sentence is "FIRST-COME, FIRST SERVED"

4. Cousin brother/sister

You hear people say, 'He's my cousin brother'. The word cousin is a noun and not an adjective, making it irrelevant to describe the gender of the cousin. "SHE'S MY COUSIN" is just about right.

5. Marriage v Wedding

A lot of us substitute Marriage for Wedding and vice versa, whilst this is wrong.
"WEDDING" is the ceremony where you get married and "MARRIAGE" is the state of being married

6. Wreck havoc

You see headlines with 'All he did was wreck havoc'. Now that's clearly wrong. The correct phrase should be "ALL HE DID WAS WREAK HAVOC"

7. Breath/Breath

A BREATH is the air we inhale or exhale while BREATHE is the act of inhaling or exhaling

Dropping my pen at this stage grin

136 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by eezeribe(m): 3:36pm On Jun 08, 2017
Even the title of this post get him own comma

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by oluwabless1: 5:00pm On Jun 08, 2017

88 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 5:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
For school, those wey no sabi book they call people like this op:

oversabi

ajayi

ITK

e.t.c

add your own

1 Like

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by NwaAmaikpe: 5:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
angry

Preek : PĂ©nis

Have you cum?: Did you have an orgasm/ did you climax?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by OZAOEKPE(f): 5:01pm On Jun 08, 2017
Noted
Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jun 08, 2017
Nice one. Thank you op. Just watch out for those that'll invade this thread shouting "English is not my mother's tongue" but they use english to feed themselves, why not go to your village and use your language to make a living.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by nonut: 5:01pm On Jun 08, 2017
Oop

1 Like

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by chigozie391(m): 5:01pm On Jun 08, 2017
This is the kind of nonesense we face in jamb days.
Anyway ... Its worthy of note

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Honestyboy2(m): 5:01pm On Jun 08, 2017
You couldn't be more accurate and correct. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by bonifieldstun(m): 5:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
Ooooo sorry u where saying??
Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by sotall(m): 5:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
angry angry
Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by chinoxstock: 5:03pm On Jun 08, 2017
We learnt English everuday...no somebody is perfect.

9 Likes

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 08, 2017
These ones aren't dah common dere r so many other common ones

1 Like

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by cold(m): 5:03pm On Jun 08, 2017
Hmm
Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Maybelconor: 5:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
Very educative, we tend to use a lot of phrases incorrectly. More examples,

Extreme end.
Each one worse than the next
Irregardless

1 Like

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by bonifieldstun(m): 5:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
Yansh - ass Bombom-ass Toto-penis Toto- pussy I drop my pen
Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by givemedatin: 5:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
No 6.

Is the same as the corrected version from you. Abi you wan wreak havoc with our heads here?
vargasvictory:
1. Behind the sheets

It's common you hear people talk about what happens in their bed thereby making use of 'Behind the sheets'. Actually the correct line is "BETWEEN THE SHEETS"

2. I could care less

You're in a situation, probably angered by someone, in a bid to get back at him/her, you say 'I could care less', this is wrong because the sentence actually means you're concerned about the situation. The correct phase is "I COULDN'T CARE LESS"

This one is very popular among the Nigerians, because it talks about feeding the monsters in our belly, and it's a common notion that if you're on time you would be attended to early enough. the right sentence is "FIRST-COME, FIRST SERVED"

4. Cousin brother/sister

You hear people say, 'He's my cousin brother'. The word cousin is a noun and not an adjective, making it irrelevant to describe the gender of the cousin. "SHE'S MY COUSIN" is just about right.

5. Marriage v Wedding

A lot of us substitute Marriage for Wedding and vice versa, whilst this is wrong.
"WEDDING" is the ceremony where you get married and "MARRIAGE" is the state of being married

6. Wreck havoc

You see headlines with 'All he did was wreck havoc'. Now that's clearly wrong. The correct phrase should be "ALL HE DID WAS WREAK HAVOC"

7. Breath/Breath

A BREATH is the air we inhale or exhale while BREATHE is the act of inhaling or exhaling

5 Likes

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by joepentwo(m): 5:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
U done well! I used to be a victim grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by koolcat: 5:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
OP sorry oo is it wrong or wrongly via ur headline.

11 Likes

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
Nice

1 Like

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Newboss(m): 5:06pm On Jun 08, 2017
Eat your cake and have it- WRONG
Have your cake and eat it- RIGHT

5 Likes

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by MossLuv: 5:06pm On Jun 08, 2017
Hello. Kilode? I don't understand English.
Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 08, 2017
H

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by kushma(m): 5:07pm On Jun 08, 2017
Nice write up bro.

1 Like

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Olasco93: 5:08pm On Jun 08, 2017
Nize right hup.
The person above me copy wetin I wan talk, he no know say I go do correction before I submit.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by joepentwo(m): 5:08pm On Jun 08, 2017
itzzhoneybee:
These ones aren't dah common dere r so many other common ones
dear,
would u mind mentioning them,
it Will really epp a people in need grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by MossLuv: 5:10pm On Jun 08, 2017
Newboss:
Eat your cake and have it- WRONG

Have your cake and eat it- RIGHT

Oga, I think they say " you can't eat your cake and have it" na proverb o

3 Likes

Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 08, 2017
You see that Number 4 ehn, I never heard it in use till I came up north to work. They use it here like kilode! angry sad
And the tin fit to vex me die whenever I hear them say it. Ironically I laugh when I hear it said cos its amusing to me
Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by hardbody: 5:14pm On Jun 08, 2017
vargasvictory:
1. Behind the sheets

2. I could care less

4. Cousin brother/sister

5. Marriage v Wedding

6. Wreck havoc

7. Breath/Breath

No 4 is not clear to me, i am good on the rest. Thanks though, insightful post.
Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by hardbody: 5:16pm On Jun 08, 2017
Maybelconor:
Very educative, we tend to use a lot of phrases incorrectly. More examples,

Extreme end.
Each one worse than the next
Irregardless

Extreme end is tautology.

Who uses the rest?
Re: 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong by Ichel: 5:18pm On Jun 08, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Countries You Can Study At Top Universities At Affordable Fees. / Meet Boubini Jones-Wonni, Best Graduating Student At Miles College, Birmingham / The Scam Center Called Madonna University In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.