Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help (4639 Views)

Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science / B.sc Mathematics Or B.sc Industrial Chemistry.reali Confused!!!!!!!! / Mathematics Or Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by Tjass4barca: 11:37am On Jan 21, 2010
Am im my 200level in the university,studing mathematical science option,i have the chance to go to statistics,maths or computer sci,what am think of computer sci os maths,pls i nid help,thanks.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by zebra(m): 12:33pm On Jan 22, 2010
Guy, go for any one of them; Statistics, Mathematics, or Computer Science; they are all good courses and are inter related.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 24, 2010
if u are considering studying for a masters in engineering, economics, business,IT,education, e.t.c , mathematics is best for u,
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by candylips(m): 11:40am On Feb 24, 2010
Do mathematics. You can always pick up computer science concepts latter on.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by ishmael(m): 12:36pm On Feb 24, 2010
Mathematics is the father of all of them. Statistics and computer science all depend on mathematics. Any one of the 3 courses is ok.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 24, 2010
Math's broader and will give you more options, especially when it comes to grad school -if you want to aim for that lateron. At the same time, Com. Sci also has many options and job opportunities. Where does your interest lie the most?
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by H2O2: 10:30pm On Feb 24, 2010
Computer science without a doubt.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 02, 2010
Dont let any one deceive u, do mathematics, u can be whatever u want later on,
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by H2O2: 7:45pm On Mar 02, 2010
I'm telling you, go comp sci.

You will get more than enough math background.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by Chykason(m): 4:02pm On Mar 03, 2010
^^H202, na lie jor! I studied mathematics. They always fail our courses in large numbers but we shine in theirs.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by bawomolo(m): 5:03pm On Mar 03, 2010
Chykason:

^^H202, na lie jor! I studied mathematics. They always fail our courses in large numbers but we shine in theirs.

umm stop with the generalization.

the OP should do whatever INTERESTS him the most.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by candylips(m): 5:41pm On Mar 03, 2010
H2O2:

I'm telling you, go comp sci.

You will get more than enough math background.

nope Comp Scientists are very weak in Maths
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by zebra(m): 5:51pm On Mar 03, 2010
candylips:

nope Comp Scientists are very weak in Maths

Very wrong of you to say that. Computer science students take all maths and stats courses with mathematics students in 100 & 200 levels; and some of them even do better than mathematics students. How comes you are now saying that they are very weak in mathematics? The only difference between mathematics, statistics and computer science students in my former school starts from 300 levels. At 300 levels computer science students start doing more advanced computer science courses especially Advanced OO programming and Artificial Intelligence. Statistics students start doing more advanced stats courses like experimental design and sampling, while mathematics students start doing more advanced maths courses like Topology and Cryptography.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by candylips(m): 6:15pm On Mar 03, 2010
i think you have misintepreted me. i know CS students study basic Maths in school but i was talking about CS professionals.

Most CS professionals rarely use Maths (programmers included) as compared to Engineers/Mathematicians/ Statisticians .
So after school Computer Scientists tend to be very weak in Maths
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by H2O2: 9:03pm On Mar 03, 2010
@zebra, you're absolutely right! exactly why I said their math background is more than enough. assuming they're not going into a field that's far too rigorously math intensive, where they might be dealing with complex mathematics that they never learned. however, if we're talking basics, i see no reason why they can't handle some accounting or simple economics problems.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by bawomolo(m): 5:25am On Mar 04, 2010
there are people with combined MCS (math and computer science) degrees.

you guys should stop living on stereotypes.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by zebra(m): 1:32pm On Mar 04, 2010
H2O2:

@zebra, you're absolutely right! exactly why I said their math background is more than enough. assuming they're not going into a field that's far too rigorously math intensive, where they might be dealing with complex mathematics that they never learned. however, if we're talking basics, i see no reason why they can't handle some accounting or simple economics problems.

Infact the maths background is almost enough for them to be called mathematicians. Computer science students also do courses like mathematical modelling and Operations research which are kind of economics or business related.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by candylips(m): 3:33pm On Mar 04, 2010
ok i guess you people are talking about computer students here and not computer scientists
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by zebra(m): 5:32pm On Mar 04, 2010
candylips:

ok i guess you people are talking about computer students here and not computer scientists

I believe you are the one that is talking about computer students. We are talking about computer science students that eventually graduate as computer scientists who do the same mathematics courses with maths and stats students in 100 and 200 levels. Computer students are those who do road side computer courses or those who do computer professional courses like the ones being done in NIIT and APTECH; you don't need any maths course there.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by zebra(m): 12:01pm On Mar 08, 2010
I know of so many computer science students that are good when it comes to mathematics. Infact you will think they are pure mathematics students. The fact still remains that if you don't know maths you cannot do computer science.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by jerryland: 12:52pm On Mar 08, 2010
Hey, What are your fears in mathematics? The course it self? curriculum? Carrer prospects? realistic nature of studing the course? I have MTech in Mathematics! And am a Communication Expert! Very Vast in RF Engineering! If you answer those questions correctly, you will give your self the answer you need!
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by pacodas: 9:42am On Mar 09, 2010
Go for comp sci, it have more prospects and fun
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by FRANKBENN(m): 5:55pm On Mar 11, 2010
contact thru:
number: 08068793890, 08097064496.
email: franklin_benedict@Yahoo.com
Name: FRANKLIN BENEDICT

Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 26, 2014
pacodas:
Go for comp sci, it have more prospects and fun
Hello! Pls do you study comp sci?
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by pacodas: 1:25pm On Dec 06, 2014
adebayor1490:
Hello! Pls do you study comp sci?
No but I know people who did.
Re: Mathematics Or Computer Science,pls Help by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 06, 2014
pacodas:

No but I know people who did.
ok. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Employee Appreciation Day: How Would You Love To Be Appreciated? / Where And What Is The Best Paying Hospital Or Corporation For Doctors? / Can Lawyers Practice Without Lying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.