Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles (25418 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa: U23 AFCON (0 - 0) Full Time / Nigeria Vs South Africa: AFCON Quarter Final (2 - 1) Full Time / Super Eagles Players Train Ahead Of A Must Win Match Tomorrow(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by cheapgoals(m): 11:08am On Jun 10, 2017
The last time the two teams met, both teams played out a highly entertaining 2-2 draw in a must win 2015 AFCON Qualifier at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo, a game which ensured the Super Eagles missing out of the 2015 AFCON in Equatorial Guinea with the South Africans progressing alongside Congo from the group.

Bafana Bafana striker, Tokelo Rantie scored a brace on that night before Sone Aluko got his own double to deny the visitors their first competitive win against the host. Nigeria likewise misses out on the 2017 AFCON in Gabon with Chad pulling out of the qualifiers which meant only one team could qualify out of the group. Egypt picked up the sole ticket of the group having drawn with the Super Eagles in Kaduna and then a 1-0 home win in Egypt which ensures the Super Eagles missing out on two consecutive Afcon finals.

There were lots of experienced players in the team, many veterans including 2013 AFCON top scorer Emenike, Ighalo, Ideye, Enyeama, but the Super Eagles had lost their fear factor, with countries like Sudan and Congo inspired by Biofuma indeed defeated Nigeria, with the latter achieving the feat in Kaduna.

Source:http://cheapgoals.com/nigeria-vs-south-africa-a-must-win-for-super-eagles/

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by cheapgoals(m): 11:12am On Jun 10, 2017
In 2016, Tanzania fancied their chances against the Super Eagles and they got a 0-0 draw at home (a game which they could have won Carl ikeme’s outstanding performance in goal). It was Sunday Oliseh’s first game in charge during his short stint as the coach of the national team.

When Gernot Rohr was employed, the Super Eagles were already out of the race to qualify and the game against Tanzania in Uyo was a mere formality which the team still fought hard to win thanks to Iheanacho long-range stunner in a 1-0 win. Since the lost to Egypt, the team has not tasted defeat and confidence is gradually returning to the team and opponents are waking up to the fact that the current Super Eagles team are now a force to reckon with.

South Africans also missed out Gabon 2017 and therefore will be looking to achieve a shocking result in Uyo in order to boost their chances of qualification. They haven’t won against Nigeria since 2004 but they can smell blood after two consecutive draws in their last two meetings. Most of their players play for Caf Champions League winners, Mamelodi Sundowns, PSL Champions Bidwest Wits, local powerhouses Orlando Pirates, Kaziers Chief and they could prove a hard nut to crack especially with their recent success on the African scene.

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by cheapgoals(m): 11:13am On Jun 10, 2017
South Africans also missed out Gabon 2017 and therefore will be looking to achieve a shocking result in Uyo in order to boost their chances of qualification. They haven’t won against Nigeria since 2004 but they can smell blood after two consecutive draws in their last two meetings. Most of their players play for Caf Champions League winners, Mamelodi Sundowns, PSL Champions Bidwest Wits, local powerhouses Orlando Pirates, Kaziers Chief and they could prove a hard nut to crack especially with their recent success on the African scene.

Two-goal hero in the last meeting, Tokelo Rantie is still in the team, many cannot forget easily how he turned Omeruo in and out last time the two met, Ithumele Khune is still formidable in goal, Dean Furman is also a decent maestro in the midfield and with the absence of Obi Mikel, he could prove to be a potential trouble for Onazi and Ndidi, which shows that they are not short of firepower.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by cheapgoals(m): 11:14am On Jun 10, 2017
The Bafana Bafana are unbeaten in their last five games as well, winning two drawing three and with a draw against the Eagles on Saturday, they would fancy taking 12 points off the other teams in the group which are Seychelles and Libya, both are minnows on paper but shouldn’t be taken with kids gloves. Both teams clash on Friday and either of the two sides would want a win with hopes of a draw between Nigeria and South Africa.

Nigeria lead its 2018 World Cup qualifying group with 4 points above second-placed Cameroon, arguably the group of death, the Eagles have won 2 out of 2 to show quality and readiness, defeating Zambia in Ndola and Algeria at the Nest of champions despite the young and new faces with little experience on the international scene brought into the team, they face Cameroon in a double header later in August and September.

The importance of this tie cannot be underestimated, not only is it a must win for both sides in order to set a tone for qualifying for 2019 AFCON, it is also a crucial test for the home team before the clash against Cameroon, to give a clue into what to expect from the Indomitable Lions when they come visiting.

1 Share

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by cheapgoals(m): 11:15am On Jun 10, 2017
Gernot Rohr hasn’t lost since taking charge of the Super Eagles team, Morales are high amongst the players with a seemingly renewed self-confidence instilled in the current young and talented crop of players in the squad, therefore should the team fail to get at least a point from the game tomorrow, it may have damaging effects on the team spirit.

Playing the African champions is never an easy task but losing your preceding game after a period of “invisibility” would make it more of a herculean task. Getting six or at least four points from the double-header against Cameroon would put the Nigerians in pole position to qualify for the group anything less than that would return the group to balance based on other results between Algeria and Zambia.

Therefore, from a particular perspective, the result from this match could have effects on the subsequent world cup qualifier matches and indeed AFCON 2019 qualifiers, so the Super Eagles must take it with all seriousness and focus on winning.

Although many of the experienced players from the game in November 2014 are not in the team this time around, the likes of Sone Aluko, Vincent Enyeama, Emmanuel Emenike and a host of others but the precocious talents like Iheanacho who has 7 goals in his just about 10 appearances for the National team, Iwobi and experienced duo of Ogenyi Onazi, Ahmed Musa, and Omeruo who were both presents in the last match between the two sides can get the job done on Saturday evening.

POSSIBLE LINE UPS

Nigeria: Akpeyi; Shehu, Awaziem, Ekong, Elderson; Onazi, Ndidi, Etebo; Simon, Iwobi, Iheanacho.

Bafana: Khune, Mphahlele, Langerman, Mathoho, Hlatshwayo (c), Furman, Zungu, Zwane, Dolly, Vilakazi, Rantie.
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by NwaAmaikpe: 2:39pm On Jun 10, 2017
cool
Na mouth them just get....

Zero action
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by femolala001(m): 2:39pm On Jun 10, 2017
No matter how nigeria plays, Nigerians will keep watching their football match. Thats love and passion.

Today is my birthday... pls click likes for me.. make my day abeg ooo

Modified: Thanks all.. im enjoying my day with my likes already.. make super eagles win o.. which naija station go show am abeg?? And time??

72 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by taylor88(m): 2:39pm On Jun 10, 2017
lol

naija wey sabi act blue film

u better don't bet for them
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by kennyonthrone(m): 2:39pm On Jun 10, 2017
Ana emenu if d no win am make una come break their legs naa
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by femi4: 2:39pm On Jun 10, 2017
Na so
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by Debaddest(m): 2:40pm On Jun 10, 2017
Correct score..... NIG 3:1 BAF
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by TRAY2(m): 2:40pm On Jun 10, 2017
Go on and fly Eagles, but hope I don't waste my precious 1hour 30 minutes.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by Alexbrain(m): 2:40pm On Jun 10, 2017
When is the time of match?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by oshe11: 2:41pm On Jun 10, 2017
Pls ooooo....

Nw dat everyone is declaring ultimatum for dia own country, wat r d yorubas waiting for?

Secondly.....

Someone shud tell Kazaure to declare Sept 25th to Oct 20th as Holidays for Corp Member pending if The Arewas wud carryout their threats so Corp Members can travel in other nt to miss Clearanx especially for Batch B stream 1(who r to Pass Out by October)...

Gen. Kazaure PLEASE DO SOMETHING.....

THIRDLY......
NAIJA PLS WIN FOR ME OOO

#My2Cents

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by Evergreen4(m): 2:41pm On Jun 10, 2017
It's a sure win for them. Wishing them the best of game. Though the south africans are talking tough, i know the super eagles will trash them 2-0

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by sandix(f): 2:41pm On Jun 10, 2017
Ok
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by ModusOperandi(f): 2:42pm On Jun 10, 2017
I want a hat trick from iwobi kiss kiss

Is he playing
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by seunny4lif(m): 2:43pm On Jun 10, 2017
ModusOperandi:

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by Edopesin: 2:45pm On Jun 10, 2017
My Correct Score
Super Eagles 2-0 Banana Banana

Don't Destroy Ma Mention If Otherwise grin grin grin
Modified

*Covers Face In Shame*

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by DBossNG(m): 2:45pm On Jun 10, 2017
I keep my fingers crossed
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 10, 2017
What is the time of the match
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by Ajoboss(m): 2:45pm On Jun 10, 2017
TRAY2:
Go on and fly Eagles, but hope I don't waste my precious 1hour 30 minutes.
my guy no bother watch o
because d super chickens don already lose
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by ajalawole(m): 2:46pm On Jun 10, 2017
Which yeye football them wen play self.................... Our super eagle are just like arsenal FC walahi, they dont have the spirit to win i swear sad
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by obi4eze(m): 2:46pm On Jun 10, 2017
Nigeria Double Chance...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by chiboy7(m): 2:47pm On Jun 10, 2017
Nig4 SA1.....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by saibuhari(m): 2:48pm On Jun 10, 2017
What is the time of the match?
Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by ajalawole(m): 2:48pm On Jun 10, 2017
ModusOperandi:
Is he playing
ha shocked

Re: Nigeria Vs South Africa : A Must Win For Super Eagles by beatrice58: 2:48pm On Jun 10, 2017
plz help me qualify to participate in a competition by clicking d link below and liking my video. u dnt need to watch it jex like it. God bless u as u do so.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUucRSdBjsa/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / Messi Scores His First PSG Goal In Win Over Man City / Nwabali: Our Support For You Remains Steadfast - Chippa United Back Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.