Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,632 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

How To Negotiate Salary During Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Negotiate Salary During Job Interview (1752 Views)

JOBS TIPS: Read How To Negotiate “salary” During An Interview / How To Act During Job Interview / This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Negotiate Salary During Job Interview by kinibigdeal(m): 9:38am On Jun 11, 2017
Few sections of the occupation looking procedure cause work searchers more nervousness than dialogs about compensation: How much cash would it be a good idea for you to request? Why won't the business name a number first? What's more, to top it all off: Will the business need to attach your compensation offer to what you've earned previously, regardless of the possibility that your past pay was low for your field?

This last one is springing up additional, with managers progressively including pay history as a standard piece of their assessment of a hopeful. Also, its a well known fact that businesses are utilizing this data to make sense of what pay competitors would acknowledge from them, which places applicants in an uncalled for position and raises stresses over leaving cash on the table.

Employers who inquire into salary history generally claim that they need to know what you've earned in the past because it helps them figure out how much you should be earning now, or so that they can screen out candidates who are earning far more than the position pays and presumably won't want to take a pay cut. But neither of these reasons holds water. First, companies should be able to determine a candidate's value for themselves; they don't need to look to their competitors to tell them a candidate's worth. And second, if they're concerned that you'll be unhappy with the salary they're offering, they can solve that by posting their range up-front or ask you about your salary expectations rather than salary history. Demands to know your past salary are designed to give employers the upper hand in salary negotiations.

But the fact remains that they're asking, so how should job seekers respond? This is the question that many job seekers dread, and you might be in the same boat. But what is so darn scary? Well, everybody knows that the moment you reveal your previous salary you have made it much more difficult for yourself to negotiate anything much better than that.

Hiring Manager: Well, do you mind me asking you what you made at your previous job, XYZ Company?

Note: Uh oh! This question has the potential to derail your interview…especially if what you were making is far below what you want to be making. Many hiring managers will take your past salary and use that to decide how much they’ll pay you. Instead of answering it directly, think like an executive and gently deflect/redirect.

You: To be honest, I'm not sure that the salary I made in my last position is relevant with regard to this opportunity. It was a different position with different responsibilities, not to mention with a different company (with their own budgets and salary guidelines). More importantly, I am looking for a job that can compensate me fairly for my skills and experience.

Hiring Manage[/b]r: Well then, how much are you expecting to make at this job?

Note: Again, another potential roadblock…but not an impossible one. This one requires some research beforehand…but you’re already a pro at that! Before you go to an interview it’s always a good idea to determine how much other people have made doing the job you’re applying for. There are various websites out there that can give some general info, but they tend to lack the specificity needed for different regions, levels of experience, etc. A great place to get information would be from local recruiters or job-search consultants who may have familiarity with the company or the range for that position in your market.

[b]You
: I’m focusing on roles in the Nxxx range, so that’s a good starting point. Is this a role in that range? If so, it makes sense for me to come back for a second interview.

Conclusion

In the event that you're asked point-blank how much money you're looking for, it's a good idea to try to redirect the question toward the company you're interviewing with. Another way an interviewer might bring up money early in the interview process is by asking you how much you're currently being paid. This one is tricky, because divulging that information could put you at a negotiating disadvantage later. For instance, if you tell the interviewer you're making N50,000, it is unlikely that you will wind up with an offer of N50-N60k. Don’t lie. Don’t tell them it’s more/less than what you made in order to fit what you think the hiring manager is looking for. All you’ll do is end up looking stupid in the long run and potentially really screwing up future possibilities.

Add yours!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Negotiate Salary During Job Interview by Nobody: 10:02am On Jun 11, 2017
hmm.... It happened to me. I told them exact money I was earning. They wanted to offer the same amount.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Security And Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) Recruitment Disclaimer / A Show Of Shame From The Federal Ministry Of Health, Nigeria. / Urgent Vacancy. Immediate Employment Guaranteed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.